Noctigon K1 info / review

700 posts / 0 new
Last post
ZED
ZED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 09:37
Posts: 118
Location: Pennsylvania

I can’t be the only one looking forward to some new comments or discussion about this, can I? I modded a friend’s M3XS Javelot about a year ago by putting a 1×1 white flat in it and as much as he loves Int-Outdoor products, he feels buying the K1 isn’t justified because of his awesome, upgraded Javelot. I think it’s a no-brainer, but he wants a D4SV2 because he loves his R40 Seeker so much, but not as much as his new(ish) Javelot. Any input? He just thinks the K1 can’t be much better than his current Olight thrower.

-Zach

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4181
Location: US

Did you modify the driver of the M3XS in order to use the White Flat since the White Flat cannot take more than 5A? The stock driver in the M3XS should push much more than 5A.

ZED
ZED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 09:37
Posts: 118
Location: Pennsylvania

Nope. And it didn’t die. He uses it to this day. I don’t remember my logic but I knew it wasn’t direct drive and I knew it could handle 2 18650’s or a bunch of cr123’s ( maybe just two, I forget) but I figured it was regulated I think, which now thinking about it doesn’t mean anything. I guess I just got lucky—plus he uses Olight protected batteries. However that shouldn’t matter if it’s not FET-driven. The tiny square white flat got angry blue in my D1 and never died though. But I took it out because i couldn’t focus it. However a 5000k sst-20 died in short order.

-Zach

ZED
ZED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 09:37
Posts: 118
Location: Pennsylvania

-Zach

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10623
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
ZED wrote:
I can’t be the only one looking forward to some new comments or discussion about this, can I? I modded a friend’s M3XS Javelot about a year ago by putting a 1×1 white flat in it and as much as he loves Int-Outdoor products, he feels buying the K1 isn’t justified because of his awesome, upgraded Javelot. I think it’s a no-brainer, but he wants a D4SV2 because he loves his R40 Seeker so much, but not as much as his new(ish) Javelot. Any input? He just thinks the K1 can’t be much better than his current Olight thrower.

Well, the D4S is a lot more useful as a general-purpose light. It’s great for daily use.

The K1 is awesome, but it’s more specialized. There just aren’t as many opportunities per day to use a thrower.

I’m not sure what the candela value is on a modded Javelot, but based on the reflector size I’m going to guess about 450 kcd. So the K1 would be an upgrade, but going from ~1350m to ~1600m isn’t a huge difference.

If I could only get one of the two, I’d probably get a D4S V2 with XP-L HI 5000K LEDs. But if I could get both, the K1 is nice to have too. And both together cost less than a Javelot.

ZED
ZED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 09:37
Posts: 118
Location: Pennsylvania

I agree a D4SV2 is more practical. But as we live in rural Pennsylvania, field searching for deer is a big use, and something like a D18, in all its photon glory, leaves you wanting in an open field. However generally speaking, I love bright flooders. It’s just nice to reach out when you want to.
Let me try this again.

https://i.imgur.com/2CnIxql.png
https://i.imgur.com/36Lqvsk.png

-Zach

ZED
ZED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 09:37
Posts: 118
Location: Pennsylvania


Bear with me, I’m getting there.

-Zach

justanotherguy
Offline
Last seen: 46 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 11/26/2012 - 22:11
Posts: 989
Location: NW

Zed…

D4SV2….? Vs… D18..?

?

ZED
ZED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 09:37
Posts: 118
Location: Pennsylvania

I don’t own a D4S however I think it’s practical.
However, for my uses, the D18 and a pockets D4 works great and is my choice.

-Zach

ZED
ZED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 09:37
Posts: 118
Location: Pennsylvania

justanotherguy wrote:
Zed…

D4SV2….? Vs… D18..?

?

Sorry if your question was the pics, that’s a stock M3XS Javelot vs one with a 1×1 white flat.

-Zach

riderxc
riderxc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/04/2019 - 20:27
Posts: 4
Location: Vancouver Canada

Just ordered, dark grey W1. First good light I’ve bought in over 10 years… very excited for it. I probably could use a more general purpose light but this looks more fun. Which leads me to my question, is there a good diffuser cap I could buy for this big bezel? Not the lantern style, but one to make it a general purpose flood light.

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3932

Does anyone know how is the efficiency % compared between the W1 and W2, driver wise?

Since the driver is linear, I guess it has to burn off less current when running the W2 at 7A turbo vs limiting to 5A in the W1. So in theory the driver should run cooler and waste less power, assuming that a low current cell like an 50E is being used?

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10623
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
riderxc wrote:
… is there a good diffuser cap I could buy for this big bezel? … to make it a general purpose flood light.

I’m not aware of one; there isn’t much demand for those. Probably the easiest way to get a diffuser cap for it is to go to a grocery store and look for items which have the same diameter with a clear or white cap. Then go home with a can of peanuts or something.

This can also be a good way to protect the lens while the light is carried in a bag.

JordanZHP
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 03/25/2017 - 04:37
Posts: 497
Location: California

This MIGHT work for the diffuser:

https://banggood.app.link/8gDLZ9xya2

I used a code and got it for $2.99 + free shipping, just received it yesterday. I’ll test it on my Astrolux FT03 and let you know. Astrolux FT03 head = 69.5mm / K1 head = 72mm

riderxc
riderxc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/04/2019 - 20:27
Posts: 4
Location: Vancouver Canada

JordanZHP wrote:
This MIGHT work for the diffuser:

https://banggood.app.link/8gDLZ9xya2

I used a code and got it for $2.99 + free shipping, just received it yesterday. I’ll test it on my Astrolux FT03 and let you know. Astrolux FT03 head = 69.5mm / K1 head = 72mm

Good find thanks. Just thinking… the K1 is 2.8mm larger in diameter so thats 8.8mm longer circumfrence, so the silicone that goes over the bezel would have to stretch 8.8mm total. Can you tell me if it is tight or loose on your FT03?

Thanks!

JordanZHP
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 03/25/2017 - 04:37
Posts: 497
Location: California

The diffuser fits loose on the FT03 unless you pull it down a little extra and then it’s snug.

It looks like the diffuser was designed for the MF01S which actually has a 72mm head. So the diffuser should fit the K1 well!

It appears the $2.99 code (Coupon: FDIFF) doesn’t work at the moment due to the diffuser being part of a promo.

ZED
ZED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 09:37
Posts: 118
Location: Pennsylvania

Just a thought, but for big lights like my D18 and Q8, you can grab some cheap LED replacement bulbs and cut the globe to fit. Pics to follow

-Zach

ZED
ZED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 09:37
Posts: 118
Location: Pennsylvania

-Zach

TexasToasted
TexasToasted's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 08:48
Posts: 1209
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

You can now order the K1 with SST20 or XPL HI emitters

JordanZHP
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 03/25/2017 - 04:37
Posts: 497
Location: California
TexasToasted wrote:
You can now order the K1 with SST20 or XPL HI emitters

Thanks for the update!

F.i.l.a.s
F.i.l.a.s's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2015 - 20:10
Posts: 144
Location: Prague

Great news. Hank, what current is linear driver set up for XP-L HI and SST20 emitters?

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 576
Location: Germany

Now all versions with lumen and candela infos:

W1 (Osram CSLNM1.TG), 6000K, 650KCD
W2 (Osram CSLPM1.TG), 6000K, 550KCD
XP-L HI V3 1A (1300lm, 290KCD)
XP-L HI V3 3A (1300lm, 290KCD)
XP-L HI V2 5D (1300lm, 290KCD)
SST-20 6500K (1300lm, 330KCD)
SST-20 5000K (1300lm, 330KCD)
SST-20 4000K (850lm, 95 CRI, 230KCD)
SST-20 3000K (850lm, 95 CRI, 230KCD)

The SST-20 5000 K should be a good tradeoff with usable spot and good throw.

F.i.l.a.s wrote:
Great news. Hank, what current is linear driver set up for XP-L HI and SST20 emitters?

Lumen values suggest that it’s probably around 5 A (i.e. the 4.9 A version as Hank wrote in this post).

justanotherguy
Offline
Last seen: 46 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 11/26/2012 - 22:11
Posts: 989
Location: NW

Thanks for the cross post…

For a thrower, I see only 600kcd+ as an option..
In fact,I wonder if someone in the aftermarket will boost the 650kcd number…I haven’t bought one yet due to the new car, but it’s at the top of my list… we

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 2707
Location: Netherlands

justanotherguy wrote:
Thanks for the cross post…

For a thrower, I see only 600kcd+ as an option..
In fact,I wonder if someone in the aftermarket will boost the 650kcd number…I haven’t bought one yet due to the new car, but it’s at the top of my list… we

Not going to happen, you can only achieve this by using a larger reflector

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 2707
Location: Netherlands
TexasToasted wrote:
You can now order the K1 with SST20 or XPL HI emitters

Any updates on the release of the XHP35 version ?

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6310
Location: Ślōnsk

Yokiamy wrote:
justanotherguy wrote:
Thanks for the cross post…

For a thrower, I see only 600kcd+ as an option..
In fact,I wonder if someone in the aftermarket will boost the 650kcd number…I haven’t bought one yet due to the new car, but it’s at the top of my list… we

Not going to happen, you can only achieve this by using a larger reflector


Boost HL could top that. But not by much.
Manual focusing might help some…or not.
Is there like 2% to gain by using UCL2 or a similar lens?

Am I missing something?
Anyway, that’s not much. There are very few stock lights as close to the limit as this one…

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 576
Location: Germany

In the TLF we got some outdoor beamshots (probably requires registration to see the images in full size): https://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/noctigon-k1.71575/page-3#post...

Awesome pencil beam. Looks like a lot of fun, but not so useful for real tasks.

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 2707
Location: Netherlands

SammysHP wrote:
In the TLF we got some outdoor beamshots (probably requires registration to see the images in full size): https://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/noctigon-k1.71575/page-3#post...

Awesome pencil beam. Looks like a lot of fun, but not so useful for real tasks.

Nice beamshots, made an account registration for those Wink

But you are completely right, i have a L21A with white flat and 5A driver, does about 550+ kCd so its very compareable, its real fun, but not very practical (or should i say useful ?)

trakcon
trakcon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 15:50
Posts: 365

SammysHP wrote:
In the TLF we got some outdoor beamshots (probably requires registration to see the images in full size): https://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/noctigon-k1.71575/page-3#post...

Awesome pencil beam. Looks like a lot of fun, but not so useful for real tasks.

Thanks for posting this! I’ve been waiting for some outdoor beamshots.

riderxc
riderxc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/04/2019 - 20:27
Posts: 4
Location: Vancouver Canada
ZED wrote:
Just a thought, but for big lights like my D18 and Q8, you can grab some cheap LED replacement bulbs and cut the globe to fit. Pics to follow

Thats a good idea Zed, especially for a lantern. I ended up ordering the silicone diffuser from banggood.

I’m not sure how popular these other emitters will be. 290KCD is still very impressive but I bet almost everyone will order W1.

Pages