Interest collect for a new Sofirn design: tube style18650, magnetic ring control, USB-C charging, 500 lm max (AKA grandma light)

512 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lipfit2000
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 19:10
Posts: 35
Location: Germany

I am interested in 4.

Chinaheart
Chinaheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 07/19/2019 - 22:56
Posts: 286
Location: Philippines

Interested for 2 

slmjim
slmjim's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Joined: 02/04/2018 - 17:49
Posts: 449
Location: Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger

I'm already in for one, that remains unchanged.  

Just wanted to say; the heck with the kids & Grandma!

Mine! Mine!! Mine!!!

That is all.

Carry on.

 

slmjim

Smile! It makes others wonder what you've been up to.

Time is more valuable than money.
You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.

Andmiller
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/13/2017 - 11:36
Posts: 9
Location: Indiana, US

Put me in for 2

el_duderino
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 days ago
Joined: 04/16/2013 - 23:41
Posts: 33
Location: USA

I’m interested in 3, please!

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18090
Location: Amsterdam

We are at 250 units on BLF, plus 153 on TLF, that makes 403 total.

That should get us at least into the design phase I think, and once a design can be shown (assuming it is good) that will boost interest again.

I hope that China will soon recover from the Corona virus shutdown so that the design phase can get going Smile

regaia
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 days ago
Joined: 06/12/2013 - 20:49
Posts: 23
Location: Philippines

Sign me up for 2. Thanks!

Rxich
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/01/2016 - 22:14
Posts: 40
Location: United States

That’s incorrect.

251

Count me in for 1

OldSkol
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 04/05/2019 - 20:00
Posts: 52
Location: SF Bay Area

I’m interested in one at least
Personal want from wishlist
Magnetic ring, color not black, magnetic base, holster
Thanks
O S

Petr J.
Petr J.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 05/20/2018 - 10:07
Posts: 385
Location: CZ

I’ll take two pieces. Smile

LEDicrous
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/02/2020 - 13:54
Posts: 110
Location: Toronto, Canada

Hi,

Can you please clarify:

  • TIR optics?
  • does it have pocket clip and a lanyard?
  • OK to have a small indicator LED flashing/solid red when voltage is low (instead of simply dim)? This, of course, in addition to the shut off function when voltage is too low.

Also, can you please explain what is a magnetic control ring ?

Quote:
operation will be a magnetic control ring with off-low10lumen-med100lumen-high500lumen, nothing else (and so not infinitely variable). No other or hidden modes or options. The magnetic ring is at the core of what this flashlight must be.
anonymous_user
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 05/23/2019 - 21:59
Posts: 349
Location: CA, USA

LEDicrous wrote:
Also, can you please explain what is a magnetic control ring ?

It might be easier to understand if you look up reviews of a light such as the Jetbeam RRT-01.

But basically there is a portion of the flashlight body that you turn to access the different modes. In some designs, it can be infinitely variable so you turn the ring like a faucet and it will slowly brighten or dim depending on the direction. In other designs, the ring clicks into indents as you spin it and it has specific lumen levels like low, medium, and high. This is more like turning the knob on a pedestal fan.

LEDicrous
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/02/2020 - 13:54
Posts: 110
Location: Toronto, Canada

anonymous_user wrote:

It might be easier to understand if you look up reviews of a light such as the Jetbeam RRT-01.

But basically there is a portion of the flashlight body that you turn to access the different modes. In some designs, it can be infinitely variable so you turn the ring like a faucet and it will slowly brighten or dim depending on the direction. In other designs, the ring clicks into indents as you spin it and it has specific lumen levels like low, medium, and high. This is more like turning the knob on a pedestal fan.

Wow this is genius. And this for a light aiming to be solde for around $20? How can that be possible? I don’t see thid mechanism even on light costing $90, Armytek for example.

anonymous_user
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 05/23/2019 - 21:59
Posts: 349
Location: CA, USA

Magnetic control rings in general are not a popular choice for UI. Jetbeam has several lights with ‘em. Nitecore has a few too.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 49 min 29 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15884
Location: nyc

SD02, SD05, WK20, …

DV-S9 for a magslider, etc. (<20bux)

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 2607
Location: Foley, MO

LEDicrous wrote:
anonymous_user wrote:

It might be easier to understand if you look up reviews of a light such as the Jetbeam RRT-01.

But basically there is a portion of the flashlight body that you turn to access the different modes. In some designs, it can be infinitely variable so you turn the ring like a faucet and it will slowly brighten or dim depending on the direction. In other designs, the ring clicks into indents as you spin it and it has specific lumen levels like low, medium, and high. This is more like turning the knob on a pedestal fan.

Wow this is genius. And this for a light aiming to be solde for around $20? How can that be possible? I don’t see thid mechanism even on light costing $90, Armytek for example.

Are you in the US? Do you want one? Well not the exact light being talked about here but, a variable ring controlled light. I have a few extra laying around. Shoot me a US address and I will ship you one.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

LeftWing
LeftWing's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2017 - 02:01
Posts: 77
Location: Seattle,WA

Sounds like it’ll be an interesting little light.

I’m in for one

LEDicrous
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/02/2020 - 13:54
Posts: 110
Location: Toronto, Canada

anonymous_user wrote:
Magnetic control rings in general are not a popular choice for UI. Jetbeam has several lights with ‘em. Nitecore has a few too.

Why not popular? Is it because it reduces the IPx waterproof rating?
djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18090
Location: Amsterdam

LEDicrous wrote:
anonymous_user wrote:
Magnetic control rings in general are not a popular choice for UI. Jetbeam has several lights with ‘em. Nitecore has a few too.

Why not popular? Is it because it reduces the IPx waterproof rating?

Waterproofness is very good, in fact many diving lights use it.
They are not really popular to make because it is structurally a bit more advanced, and more expensive, than a simple switch. I looked up the magnetic sensor that is used in the VR11R and it is almost 2 dollar for the component alone (when bought on ebay). Manufacturers must be very sure of the popularity, so the preparedness to pay a bit more, of magnetic control rings before designing a light with it, and that is what we attempt to show them with this thread.
jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 5238
Location: Central North America
anonymous_user wrote:
In some designs, it can be infinitely variable so you turn the ring like a faucet and it will slowly brighten or dim depending on the direction. In other designs, the ring clicks into indents as you spin it and it has specific lumen levels like low, medium, and high. This is more like turning the knob on a pedestal fan.

brilliant explanations

a couple examples of rings with clicks and or a series of discrete levels includes Sunwayman M10r (4 steps), HDS Rotary (24 steps) and Spy007 (7 steps)
the last two are still available today

the original post in this thread was heading towards a 4 Step Rotary dial, along the lines of the M10r I think

.

Other examples of Infinitely variable include Sunwayman V10r and V11r
these are no longer in production

Im happy to hear there has been some consideration of producing a new Infinitely variable light, at some point

Stepless Infinitely Variable is my favorite UI

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9599
Location: Berkeley, California

Sofirn SD03 is another ($15) rotary switch light. It feels quite solid in use (three levels, with detents that click). I like it a lot.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sofirn-SD03-Scuba-Diving-Flashlight-1865...LED-Flashlight/32825380664.html

LEDicrous
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/02/2020 - 13:54
Posts: 110
Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
From OP
Wishlist.
*infinite variable control ring instead of discrete modes

Is it a good idea? With wear in time, would this spin so well like a freewheel? ie. the ring moves unintentionally by the vibrations. And causing the light to flicker as a result. The other consequence could be the ring will be set in any random position each time you use it? Because the wheel will likely spin if it rests in a moving space like a car or backpack.

Beside that, this project is wonderful. Would you be OK to add a headlight version (90° angle)?

mr_magoo
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 weeks ago
Joined: 08/31/2018 - 14:01
Posts: 172
Location: Colorado

LEDicrous wrote:
Quote:
From OP
Wishlist.
*infinite variable control ring instead of discrete modes

…Would you be OK to add a headlight version (90° angle)?

A fairly compact right angle headlamp with an infinitely variable control ring on the end would be awesome! Especially if it had a nice low low (.2 lumen) and a strong detent at off so you didnt have to lock it out when not in use.
lensmanmark
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 10/14/2012 - 19:52
Posts: 53
Location: Hoboken, NJ

I’d be up for at least 4.

MyRants
MyRants's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/02/2019 - 20:07
Posts: 139
Location: Seattle, WA

I'm in for 4.  Probably will buy more if the light lives up to expectations, especially if there's some colors other than solid black or gray available.

"This too shall pass." -- Ancient Persian saying

fourbyfive
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2018 - 12:49
Posts: 128
Location: South Carolina

Dos por moi, gratzi

ThirdHandChain
ThirdHandChain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 09/05/2019 - 16:07
Posts: 69
Location: Virginia, USA

Infinitely variable brightness is a good idea I feel. If the charging port is sound, and the ring is infinitely variable I'm definitely interested. 

Not really a noob but I still haven't purchased a soldering iron. 
THC 
dodo
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 weeks ago
Joined: 03/26/2014 - 13:59
Posts: 263
Location: Italy

I’m in for 1

cloggy
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/08/2012 - 07:04
Posts: 227
Location: Brabourne Lees, UK

Two for me please.

cloggy

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 12 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18090
Location: Amsterdam

ThirdHandChain wrote:

Infinitely variable brightness is a good idea I feel. If the charging port is sound, and the ring is infinitely variable I’m definitely interested. 


Infinitely variable is not a promised feature yet, but I still added you to the list as at least interested Smile

The interest list is now at 268, and with still 153 from TLF the total is 421 flashlights.

Barry mailed me a week ago that he had missed my mail from january in which I sent a first suggestion-drawing of how the light structurally could be made, but that he passed it on to Sofirn’s engineers. I’m not sure when we will get an update under the current circumstances, I patiently wait for things to happen.

Pages