Interest collect for a new Sofirn design: tube style18650, magnetic ring control, USB-C charging, 500 lm max (AKA grandma light)

512 posts / 0 new
Last post
Petr J.
Petr J.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 05/20/2018 - 10:07
Posts: 385
Location: CZ

MtnDon wrote:
No-2-Ageing wrote:

The charging port should be MAGNETIC!

I disagree. I have Olights that use their special magnetic dock. They are most inconvenient when you can’t find the dock or forget to take it along and then find yourself needing to scramble for a charger that you can borrow. Pretty much impossible at times. Whereas you can alomost certainly borrow a USB cord or if need be buy a USB cord at the grocery, the pharmavy, etc.

nuemtol wrote:
No-2-Ageing wrote:
The charging port should be MAGNETIC!

Why? Let them use the same USB cables they use with everything else. More likely to get used & not be lost

I agree. The magnetic charging connector is not a good solution. I have two flashlights with magnetic connector for charging. Amutorch X9 and new Imalent DM21C. I wanted to buy the first version of the X9 with a standard USB connector, it was unfortunately sold out. I don’t use the magnetic charging cable for Amutorch at all. Charging the battery outside the flashlight. I would have to have at least three original cables. At home, in the car, at work. For older people, the USB C charging connector is best. It can be used from both sides.

No-2-Ageing
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 12/30/2017 - 19:40
Posts: 28
Location: London UK

Petr J. wrote:

I agree. The magnetic charging connector is not a good solution. I have two flashlights with magnetic connector for charging. Amutorch X9 and new Imalent DM21C. I wanted to buy the first version of the X9 with a standard USB connector, it was unfortunately sold out. I don’t use the magnetic charging cable for Amutorch at all. Charging the battery outside the flashlight. I would have to have at least three original cables. At home, in the car, at work. For older people, the USB C charging connector is best. It can be used from both sides.

Plagued by a plethora of incompatible cables is not likely to be Grandmas concern now is it?

But grip / dexterity / eyesight ARE.

Vital:
Promote speedy arrival of proper ageing REVERSAL medicine. It IS possible. - It's going to end not only the persistent curse of old age - but therefore - dying! We don't want to be the last generation to miss the boat. - Are you in?

Chinaheart
Chinaheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 07/19/2019 - 22:56
Posts: 285
Location: Philippines

count me in for this light...

Petr J.
Petr J.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 05/20/2018 - 10:07
Posts: 385
Location: CZ

No-2-Ageing wrote:
Petr J. wrote:

I agree. The magnetic charging connector is not a good solution. I have two flashlights with magnetic connector for charging. Amutorch X9 and new Imalent DM21C. I wanted to buy the first version of the X9 with a standard USB connector, it was unfortunately sold out. I don’t use the magnetic charging cable for Amutorch at all. Charging the battery outside the flashlight. I would have to have at least three original cables. At home, in the car, at work. For older people, the USB C charging connector is best. It can be used from both sides.

Plagued by a plethora of incompatible cables is not likely to be Grandmas concern now is it?

But grip / dexterity / eyesight ARE.

Your idea is certainly right. The induction charging flashlight is sometimes sold by Lidl. But it produces it in large quantities, so the price is low. Sofirn cannot produce it in the same large series. The second argument is that seniors today often use mobile phones. Most use a standard USB interface for charging.

My reaction is also to the deleted post …

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Yes, ‘even’ seniors use USB charging, of course.
Yes, USB-C would be best, as long as everything else would be USB-C too…
But by the time this light is on the market, USB-C will be more common, i guess.
Now we only have to figure out how the USB-C port will be accessible.
I.o.w., should there be some flap over it, or should it just be open?
Maybe just give it a rubber / silicone flap, which the end user can decide to remove altogether.
But an open port can be made waterproof too, but adds complexity to the production.

legan710
legan710's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 day ago
Joined: 03/25/2017 - 19:37
Posts: 80
Location: Germany

I would go for a standard USB C connector for charging.

I dont like those rubber flaps to cover it. These things are just to small to grab and handle, are always in the way to put the cable in an in a few years there are just worn out and wont stay in place (not just with flashlights!).

I’d rather go in the direction of the zanflare F1 or similar lights with the charging port covert and secured by an screw-on ring of some sort or inside the threads of the body (where you have to unscrew the body partly to charge). However that is not quite intuitive and also quite difficult at times (the zanflare F1 drives my crazy because there is no real open/close position).

My suggestion: Put the charging port at the Tail in place of a classic clicky with a waterproof cover.


(please dont kill me for my paint skills)

cons:
longer body
battery not accessable from the back
not at all what we are used to have
maybe difficult wireing/electronic

pro:
cap can be large and easy to grip.
everybody can unsrew it
intuitive, cause it is known to unscrew the back to change battery at a flashlight
battery not accessable from the back
maybe something new-ish
waterproof
poka yoke

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18086
Location: Amsterdam

I think that Sofirn will not get away with an open USB port when selling these to flashoholics, even when they are intended to be giveaways they need to have the normal IP67 water and dust proofing. And of course there is the “no manual needed” requirement: without reading manuals, people will use this light in wet conditions and this light should handle that. Even mobile phones are usually rainproof nowadays.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18086
Location: Amsterdam

legan710 wrote:
I would go for a standard USB C connector for charging.

I dont like those rubber flaps to cover it. These things are just to small to grab and handle, are always in the way to put the cable in an in a few years there are just worn out and wont stay in place (not just with flashlights!).

I’d rather go in the direction of the zanflare F1 or similar lights with the charging port covert and secured by an screw-on ring of some sort or inside the threads of the body (where you have to unscrew the body partly to charge). However that is not quite intuitive and also quite difficult at times (the zanflare F1 drives my crazy because there is no real open/close position).

My suggestion: Put the charging port at the Tail in place of a classic clicky with a waterproof cover.


(please dont kill me for my paint skills)

cons:
longer body
battery not accessable from the back
not at all what we are used to have
maybe difficult wireing/electronic

pro:
cap can be large and easy to grip.
everybody can unsrew it
intuitive, cause it is known to unscrew the back to change battery at a flashlight
battery not accessable from the back
maybe something new-ish
waterproof
poka yoke


The USB port in the tail will require an extra insulated electrical connection from batt+ to tail, which is a structural challenge that will add costs and is an extra possible failure point. I doubt that this is feasable.

I have asked Sofirn already for looking into a better solution than the eternal rubber flap over the port, suggestions were the Zanflare F1-way or the port in the threads like the Noctigon K1 but they both have disadvantages as well, and hope that they just come up with something once the design starts. If we end up with a flap anyway that is not the end of the world for this budget light, but the aim is a better solution than that.

Nicolicous
Nicolicous's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/16/2016 - 08:28
Posts: 1604
Location: Australia

I’d be in for 2

Nico -.-

drewski
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2019 - 08:46
Posts: 125
Location: US

How about a lumintop GT “Nana”? …sorry. I like the magnetic control ring idea and I’m interested in 1 at least.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Okay, maybe this is an idea:

Twist the magnet-twisty-ring counter clock wise, further than the OFF position, which will reveal an USB-C port.
This means there has to be a hole or a cut out in the magnet-twisty-ring.
But this will not be water proof by itself.
But again, it is possible to make the USB-C socket itself waterproof, but that will (probably) complicate manufacturing.

But while we’re at it, there could be a mechanical battery cut off switch, switched mechanically by the magnet-twisty ring, too.
Then only the stepless dimming is done magnetically.
But this makes real water proofing even more challenging…

robbobus
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/24/2012 - 22:36
Posts: 11

I’d like one please

zak.wilson
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 09/29/2014 - 14:27
Posts: 1034

People who really want a magnetic charging solution instead of USB can add it themselves with this sort of thing – of course, it won’t be waterproof.

Ceilingbounce – flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 2388
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
SKV89 wrote:

Eureka!

What if we use the CONTROL RING as a port cover as well? Add a notch to it like the photo above and have a “charging” position in the rotation

JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 2388
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

And for the tailswitch debate, I think we should just offer both? Like Lumintop does with the Tool for example? If this strains the price too much just make available for purchase separately as we do with shorter battery tubes in other lights?

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18086
Location: Amsterdam

The USB port under the control ring would be really neat, but it requires waterproofness of the socket itself because sealings attached to or even just touching the ring will certainly have negative impact on the smooth rotation of the ring.

For simplicity of operation as a no-manual light, this light will have just the ring without an extra switch.

About the “wishlist” that is maintained in the OP, because Sofirn will not start the design before februari (Barry told me that a new experienced engineer will join them by then who will work on this light), I can not discuss yet with Sofirn what will and what will not be possible within the set selling price.

Cythras
Cythras's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 09/27/2016 - 19:30
Posts: 294
Location: Canada

I’m in IF we can get infinitely variable brightness on a magnetic control ring.

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6868
Location: Ślōnsk

For quite some time I’ve been thinking about upgrading the light of my 89yo grandma. She really liked her probably 40 years old 2D light though and I didn’t see anything suitable.

So I was naturally quite interested when I saw this thread. Even more so when my nephew broke her light 5 day ago.

Earlier I have thought about giving her a Zanflare F1. But that would be a serious downgrade really:

  • it’s too small
  • it’s too throwy for indoor-only use (though I can fix it myself. DC-fix that is.)
  • the side switch is too small, too hard to locate, gives too little feedback.
  • the USB port cover requires too much force to open. In practice I would have to leave it loose.

I see that some of these things were mentioned already though the light does not really seem like a good match for my granny.
At the same time it does seem like it would be a great pick for my father in law who is sixty-something. And seems like a good general purpose layman-light. I may end up using it as well for the reason that I love simple ramping UIs and control ring seems like a great way of implementing one.

I support the idea of enabling easy output increase with just adding a solder bridge.

When it comes to USB charging, usually I’m an anti-fan of putting ports on the threads because it’s easy to get something dirty when operating it. But here I’m even more so because it gives users reason to unscrew the light – and I believe that muggles shall never access li-ion cells directly.
My favourite cover style is that of Zanflare F1, followed by a rubber flap.

I’m in for one.

rngwn
rngwn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 05/17/2018 - 03:44
Posts: 437
Location: 暖武里,Таиланд

With charging feature, I wonder how likely it is that people would end up destroying the flashlight by accidentally plugging in the charging cord with Alkaline battery inside the flashlight instead of Ni-MH/Li-ion?

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18086
Location: Amsterdam

rngwn wrote:
With charging feature, I wonder how likely it is that people would end up destroying the flashlight by accidentally plugging in the charging cord with Alkaline battery inside the flashlight instead of Ni-MH/Li-ion?

Luckily, it is a 18650 flashlight and the 18650 size does not come in alkaline. So this is not easy to happen.
djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18086
Location: Amsterdam

Agro wrote:
For quite some time I’ve been thinking about upgrading the light of my 89yo grandma. She really liked her probably 40 years old 2D light though and I didn’t see anything suitable.

So I was naturally quite interested when I saw this thread. Even more so when my nephew broke her light 5 day ago.

Earlier I have thought about giving her a Zanflare F1. But that would be a serious downgrade really:

  • it’s too small
  • it’s too throwy for indoor-only use (though I can fix it myself. DC-fix that is.)
  • the side switch is too small, too hard to locate, gives too little feedback.
  • the USB port cover requires too much force to open. In practice I would have to leave it loose.

I see that some of these things were mentioned already though the light does not really seem like a good match for my granny.
At the same time it does seem like it would be a great pick for my father in law who is sixty-something. And seems like a good general purpose layman-light. I may end up using it as well for the reason that I love simple ramping UIs and control ring seems like a great way of implementing one.

I support the idea of enabling easy output increase with just adding a solder bridge.

When it comes to USB charging, usually I’m an anti-fan of putting ports on the threads because it’s easy to get something dirty when operating it. But here I’m even more so because it gives users reason to unscrew the light – and I believe that muggles shall never access li-ion cells directly.
My favourite cover style is that of Zanflare F1, followed by a rubber flap.

I’m in for one.

Thanks, I think that you understand exactly what the aim is for this flashlight. Not for your 89 old grandmother (perhaps we can design an upgrade for her 2D light in another project) but indeed for your father in law in his sixties, my parents in law who are in their seventies, but most exactly described: any layman that is not a flashaholic but can appreciate a well performing flashlight, flashoholics included who like well-built easy to operate functional lights.

Although it was my earliest wish for this light, after some reading here and thinking, I think I’m with you on not wanting the USB port in the threads after all. For your reason not wanting to invite people to unscrew the light, but also because, this being a no-manual light, people may not find the USB port easily. In that line of thought, the port must be visible and obvious.

Your suggestion for a solder bridge to double the output sounds interesting, but it requires a “silent” thermal control present in the design so it involves more than just a change of sense resistor, and in general it does not really fit the principle that this light does not have “hidden tricks down its sleeve”. If this light takes off and is a succes, what may make more sense is asking Sofirn for a “downgraded Silly “ version for flasholics with more output, thermal control, maybe a tailswitch etc. etc.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Hmmm….
How great would it be, though… That USB port under the magnet ring..
You could have the cut out showing “OFF” too, and indicate the brightness level you’re at (printed on the section inside the ring).
Dang waterproofing..
Can’t we come up with something clever (but simple) then?
Should the light be submersible (yes..) or would ‘rain proof’ be enough (no..)?

Meh, never mind.
USB port is good enough with its own rubber flap thingy, i.m.o.

raven5221
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 01/02/2020 - 14:59
Posts: 1

There are waterproof USB-C ports available, and I think they would make a lot of sense for this project.

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/a/amphenol-commercial-products/waterproof-usb-type-c-connectors
https://www.te.com/usa-en/about-te/news-center/new-waterproof-usb-type-c.html

It might still be a good idea to have a rubber dust cover over the port to keep it from getting gunked up with dirt.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18086
Location: Amsterdam

Thanks for pointing those out, raven5221. These may be a solution, although they will prove a challenge for assembly because the need to stick them inside the body hole instead of hoovering behind the hole. It depends on which direction the design goes if these are a good idea to recommend.

Zeige
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 days ago
Joined: 12/18/2019 - 00:36
Posts: 17
Location: Sparks, NV

Interested, Thx

LightObsession
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2018 - 00:15
Posts: 444
Location: Illinois, U.S.
legan710 wrote:
A locator light will just be confusing and in my opinion its not necessary as most people know where they put it at home (it is usefull when the light is in a backpack or similar, but at home there is dedicated place for the flashlight).

Have you ever tried to find a flashlight (without any glowing parts) on your night stand in the dark without knocking it over or onto the floor? I have, and then I have to try to find it on the floor in the dark.

A glowing diffuser is what I sometimes use, if the light itself doesn’t have any glowing parts.

It doesn’t take much glow or light to be seen in the dark next to you on a night stand.

YogibearAl
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 10 hours ago
Joined: 12/29/2019 - 03:38
Posts: 223
Location: WA

Interested in at least one. Depending on final product.

sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 1649
Location: United States

Interested, I did a quick search for 18350, and got no hits. Would be much more interested if an 18350 tube is available, much more pocketable for me and grandma.

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

BillyBobJoe
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 03/11/2019 - 15:16
Posts: 235
Location: Western USA

Interested.

litenutz
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 06/06/2017 - 19:31
Posts: 107
Location: Southern California, US

Interested

Pages