** BLF LT1M-Mini Project - The little Lantern! ( PM's sent today June 21, 2022)**

1647 posts / 0 new
Last post
Helios azimuth
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2019 - 22:23
Posts: 398
Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains

The ones with beveled holes are more expensive, but it might be possible to mount one on the outside of the base of the original LT1 with a bolt. If so, that would be more secure.

Discharger
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 02/16/2020 - 03:57
Posts: 75
tactical_grizzly wrote:
tactical_grizzly wrote:
It also MIGHT be possible to glue one of these inside the tailcap underneath the spring. I’m not certain it would be strong enough, but it may be worth a shot.

I ordered a bunch of those magnets and tried sticking one in the tailcap of my LT1 Mini. Install was super easy, I just unscrewed the tailcap and fished the magnet through the gaps in the spring. Now it just sits there under the spring with no glue or anything.

The strength is OK. Holding the light upside down on a horizontal surface is no problem. Vertical surfaces are a challenge though. There’s just not enough friction to prevent the light from sliding down the surface most of the time. These pics on vertical surfaces are just a couple of spots where I was able to get it to stay put after careful placement.

This also works on LT1S to a similar degree of success: strong enough to hold upside down on a horizontal surface, but not strong enough to hold on a vertical surface.

One way I have figured out to increase friction is putting a thin layer of soft UV curing glue on the magnet, putting a flat glass (like a lens) on top to make the layer totally flat and then curing the glue with UV through the glass. Upon removing the glass the outer surface of the magnet should have a thin flat uniform thickness layer of cured glue. This layer should be very grippy, so the magnet should not slide down too easily. This worked for me, hopefully it works for you too

tactical_grizzly
tactical_grizzly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 14:54
Posts: 812
Location: North Texas

For everyone asking, the magnets are linked in the post I quoted. I’ll go back and edit my main post to include the link as well.

Mandrake50
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2022 - 20:02
Posts: 283
Location: United States

Just for clarification, are you putting the UV glue on the outside of the tail cap. Just trying to visualize how putting glue on the magnet (which it seems like you are saying) would increase friction between the light and the surface we are trying to fix it to.
Thanks for your patience in answering my possibly dumb question.

leftfordead
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 10:30
Posts: 62

So when it’s on its lowest setting is it brighter than the larger lt1 on its lowest setting or about the same? Thanks

tactical_grizzly
tactical_grizzly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 14:54
Posts: 812
Location: North Texas
leftfordead wrote:
So when it’s on its lowest setting is it brighter than the larger lt1 on its lowest setting or about the same? Thanks

About the same

Discharger
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 02/16/2020 - 03:57
Posts: 75
Mandrake50 wrote:
Just for clarification, are you putting the UV glue on the outside of the tail cap. Just trying to visualize how putting glue on the magnet (which it seems like you are saying) would increase friction between the light and the surface we are trying to fix it to. Thanks for your patience in answering my possibly dumb question.

Sorry for the confusion…

I almost always affix a magnet on the outside of the tailcap of my flashlights. I know this way the light becomes longer, but at least the magnet can be substantially stronger than one that could fit inside the tailcap (if fitting a magnet inside is even possible in the first place).

When I was talking about putting the UV glue on the magnet, I was subconsciously assuming the magnet is on the outside of the tail cap.

If you have fit the magnet inside the tailcap, you will need to put the UV glue coating on the tailcap itself.

carmantl
Online
Last seen: 14 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 03/22/2012 - 22:25
Posts: 514
Location: TN

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RGF7WJ2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_...

This is amazon’s version of VHB. Just as good as 3M VHB but a fraction of the cost.

matarius777
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 10/27/2020 - 21:26
Posts: 4
Location: Lancaster
tactical_grizzly wrote:
matarius777 wrote:
With the base being flat, how did you fix the magnet, any chance of some pics, did you drill a hole in the base, what magnet? Would like to do similar to mine. Big Smile

I used a Nite Ize Steelie Tablet magnet I had lying around. It has sticky foam tape on the back. They are discontinued now.

If I were to buy a magnet specifically to use on LT1 Mini, I would choose this one and stick it to the bottom of the tailcap with some double sided foam tape. That would certainly work.

It also MIGHT be possible to glue one of these inside the tailcap underneath the spring. I’m not certain it would be strong enough, but it may be worth a shot.


Thank you, I hadn’t thought of doing either methods, and certainly not having the magnet inside the tail cap! I’m actually from the UK, so I’ll try to find a UK source, for some reason, postage from the USA is usually way too expensive, even for something of that size. I would never have imagined that the magnet would work if put inside the cap! I may go through that route, the main reason I want a magnet for the mini lantern is so I can use it when I’m tarp camping and have nowhere to hang it, I’ll use a metal disk one the outside of the tarp and clamp the lantern to it on the inside, hanging down.
tactical_grizzly
tactical_grizzly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 14:54
Posts: 812
Location: North Texas
matarius777 wrote:
tactical_grizzly wrote:
matarius777 wrote:
With the base being flat, how did you fix the magnet, any chance of some pics, did you drill a hole in the base, what magnet? Would like to do similar to mine. Big Smile

I used a Nite Ize Steelie Tablet magnet I had lying around. It has sticky foam tape on the back. They are discontinued now.

If I were to buy a magnet specifically to use on LT1 Mini, I would choose this one and stick it to the bottom of the tailcap with some double sided foam tape. That would certainly work.

It also MIGHT be possible to glue one of these inside the tailcap underneath the spring. I’m not certain it would be strong enough, but it may be worth a shot.


Thank you, I hadn’t thought of doing either methods, and certainly not having the magnet inside the tail cap! I’m actually from the UK, so I’ll try to find a UK source, for some reason, postage from the USA is usually way too expensive, even for something of that size. I would never have imagined that the magnet would work if put inside the cap! I may go through that route, the main reason I want a magnet for the mini lantern is so I can use it when I’m tarp camping and have nowhere to hang it, I’ll use a metal disk one the outside of the tarp and clamp the lantern to it on the inside, hanging down.

I’ve got a slightly thicker and stronger magnet coming in soon to try in the tailcap to see if it will reliably hold the light up on a vertical surface. Fingers crossed.

SoulCraves
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/01/2013 - 10:31
Posts: 157

Guys, any one has manual for this LT mini? i cant seem to enter into Blinkies and Strobes mode unlike the LT 1.

tactical_grizzly
tactical_grizzly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 14:54
Posts: 812
Location: North Texas
SoulCraves wrote:
Guys, any one has manual for this LT mini? i cant seem to enter into Blinkies and Strobes mode unlike the LT 1.

Click 10x from off and hold the last click to ensure you’re not stuck in the simple UI, then try again. 3 clicks from off enters battery check on mine, just like full size. 3 clicks from off and hold the last one enters the strobe group on mine, just like the full size.

johnnie
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 03/12/2015 - 01:16
Posts: 27
Location: United States

am interested for one please

SoulCraves
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/01/2013 - 10:31
Posts: 157

Thanks much Grizzly! managed to get the manual from Barry.

Sofirn
Sofirn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 04:22
Posts: 1879
Location: Shenzhen, China

Sorry for the manual was not included in the package.
click here to check out the LT1-Mini Manual PDF file.

leftfordead
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 10:30
Posts: 62

Does anyone know if there’s a review video yet ?

tactical_grizzly
tactical_grizzly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 14:54
Posts: 812
Location: North Texas
leftfordead wrote:
Does anyone know if there’s a review video yet ?

It’s not a video but I’ve just posted my full review.

leftfordead
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 10:30
Posts: 62
tactical_grizzly wrote:
leftfordead wrote:
Does anyone know if there’s a review video yet ?

It’s not a video but I’ve just posted my full review.
Fantastic thanks will read it thoroughly.thank you
!{width:50%}https://i0.wp.com/tgreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2022-05-07_13...!

Helios azimuth
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2019 - 22:23
Posts: 398
Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains

My order is about 2.5 hours away now, but it might take until Monday to receive it, lol.

species8472
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 10/08/2017 - 04:06
Posts: 300
Location: Snowbelt, Pennsylvania

Helios azimuth wrote:
My order is about 2.5 hours away now, but it might take until Monday to receive it, lol.

 

Remember Monday is a holiday. So maybe Tue?

Leditbe
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/10/2022 - 12:54
Posts: 2
Location: Nederland

Very well done

justanotherguy
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 11/26/2012 - 22:11
Posts: 1133
Location: NW USA

Just recurved received mine , is very nice!

A big thanks to everyone involved for their efforts!

tactical_grizzly
tactical_grizzly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 14:54
Posts: 812
Location: North Texas

I finally found a magnet that works really well. D83-N52 from KJmagnetics.

For installation, just stretch the spring out a bit with some pliers. Be careful not to pull it out of its socket. If you do, it’s a little hard to get back in but it can be done. Then, just slide the magnet through the side of the spring and it will stay in place underneath it.

This setup is plenty strong and it can reliably hold LT1 Mini up on vertical surfaces.

justanotherguy
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 11/26/2012 - 22:11
Posts: 1133
Location: NW USA

I’m hoping some 3d’s a neat base for this and maybe glue a magnet into that

tactical_grizzly
tactical_grizzly's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 14:54
Posts: 812
Location: North Texas
justanotherguy wrote:
I’m hoping some 3d’s a neat base for this and maybe glue a magnet into that

That gives me an idea. I could 3D print a wider base for my LT1 Mini, embed a magnet into it, and then use that magnet + the magnet in the tailcap to hold the wider base on.

Lixivium
Lixivium's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/16/2021 - 20:59
Posts: 107
Location: NJ
tactical_grizzly wrote:
That gives me an idea. I could 3D print a wider base for my LT1 Mini, embed a magnet into it, and then use that magnet + the magnet in the tailcap to hold the wider base on.

If possible, print the base so that it can be stored atop the head when not in use. Like an inset ring on the bottom of the printed base that seats onto ring protruding from the top of the head.

Helios azimuth
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2019 - 22:23
Posts: 398
Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains

species8472 wrote:

Helios azimuth wrote:
My order is about 2.5 hours away now, but it might take until Monday to receive it, lol.

 

Remember Monday is a holiday. So maybe Tue?


Arrived today, so I ducked that problem. This light will get a lot of use! Thanks again to the team
weklund
weklund's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 08/16/2014 - 10:32
Posts: 1210
Location: Orange, Ca.

My mini’s arrived today. Excellent little lantern.

I am very pleased.

... Happy Landings ...

... RIP Uncle Ken ... Semper Fi ...

dealgrabber2002
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 06/20/2014 - 23:51
Posts: 858
Location: California

There was a seller on eBay that sold base for the LT1, maybe he’ll make some for the mini. Very reasonable price.

BillyBobJoe
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 03/11/2019 - 15:16
Posts: 250
Location: Western USA

Light arrived, looks nice. Guess I’ll have to break out the 3d printer and laptop to see if I can design a wider base for it, if no one else hasn’t designed one yet.

Pages