Emisar D4V2 LED swap out

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
ftumch33
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/28/2020 - 22:07
Posts: 54
Location: Whitestone, NY
Emisar D4V2 LED swap out

Curious if anyone had ordered one LED and then swapped out the emitters for something else.
I have the brass version but not really digging the XPLs.
How difficult would it be to swap them out for Nichia 219b/c or maybe even the Samsung LH351D?

id30209
id30209's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 05/17/2018 - 12:20
Posts: 1668
Location: Croatia

I did, swapped sst20 fb4 for FA3.

You need to be carefull with 4 tiny aux board wires, other then that it’s a regular solder job

WTB Titanium 4sevens 2xAA tube

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 4182
Location: California

Definitely not the quickest or easiest emitter swap, but it’s doable. I did it with an aluminum D4V2.

1. Desolder the 4 tiny aux LED wires – these are extremely small. I recommend using a fine-tip soldering iron
2. Unscrew and remove the aux LED board.
3. Desolder the driver wires and remove the star.
4. Reflow off the old emitters and on your new emitters.
5. Replace the stock thermal grease with fresh grease.
6. Reinstall the main board back into the light. This can be tricky as you have 6 wires that need to fit through the center hole in the star. It’s a very tight squeeze. I soldered long guidewires to the end of each of these wires and used them to thread the wires through the star. I desoldered and removed the guidewires once the star was in place.
7. Solder the leadwires back to the star.
8. Insert the Aux LED board and then solder the 4 tiny wires back in place. Each bondpad on the aux LED board is marked so you don’t have to guess which color wire goes in which spot. NOTE: Do not force the aux LED board into place over the main LEAD wires. If the main LED wires are out of position they might cause the aux LED board to not lay flat. If you try to force it down anyways the thin plastic aux LED board will probably break. Instead, remove the aux LED board and resolder the main LED wires on the star.

ftumch33
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/28/2020 - 22:07
Posts: 54
Location: Whitestone, NY

I mean I`m not doing it, I don`t have the tools/patience/skill to do it lol.
How was the tint/beam after your mod?
Is there anyone that is recommended to do mods on BLF?

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5895
Location: Germany

Firelight2 wrote:
Definitely not the quickest or easiest emitter swap, but it’s doable. I did it with an aluminum D4V2.

1. Desolder the 4 tiny aux LED wires – these are extremely small. I recommend using a fine-tip soldering iron
2. Unscrew and remove the aux LED board.
3. Desolder the driver wires and remove the star.
4. Reflow off the old emitters and on your new emitters.
5. Replace the stock thermal grease with fresh grease.
6. Reinstall the main board back into the light. This can be tricky as you have 6 wires that need to fit through the center hole in the star. It’s a very tight squeeze. I soldered long guidewires to the end of each of these wires and used them to thread the wires through the star. I desoldered and removed the guidewires once the star was in place.
7. Solder the leadwires back to the star.
8. Insert the Aux LED board and then solder the 4 tiny wires back in place. Each bondpad on the aux LED board is marked so you don’t have to guess which color wire goes in which spot. NOTE: Do not force the aux LED board into place over the main LEAD wires. If the main LED wires are out of position they might cause the aux LED board to not lay flat. If you try to force it down anyways the thin plastic aux LED board will probably break. Instead, remove the aux LED board and resolder the main LED wires on the star.

the tip size does not matter, unless its something expected on a 200W iron
even most big tips you usually solder MCPCBs have an edge or rim that’s pretty small

what helps a lot
- a good no acid flux
- a regulated iron tip temperature so you don’t kill the glue below the pad, or instantly pulling the iron after the solder melted

ftumch33
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/28/2020 - 22:07
Posts: 54
Location: Whitestone, NY

Can anyone recommend a soldering iron?
I might actually give this a go Thumbs Up

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5895
Location: Germany

Station
HW version should be best 2.1S
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32837522724.html
newest revision
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32950981884.html

the price went up a bit over Corona virus time

Mobile
(needs a 19-24V PSU like Laptop ones, more voltage more power)
https://www.banggood.com/MINI-TS100-Digital-OLED-Programmable-Interface-DC-5525-Soldering-Iron-Station-Built-in-STM32-Chip-p-984214.html

T12 tips


pro:
- you have in each tip the heating element, so if it dies you need no expensive replacement than other stations have
con:
- small variation between tips in the temperature reading

ftumch33
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/28/2020 - 22:07
Posts: 54
Location: Whitestone, NY

Wow, that is a pretty cool soldering station.
I might actually order this today.
Rosin core solder is out nowadays?

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5895
Location: Germany
ftumch33 wrote:
Wow, that is a pretty cool soldering station. I might actually order this today. Rosin core solder is out nowadays?

I highly suggest not to buy solder wire in China, buy a reputable brand like Kester made in your country
for general driver soldering 0.75mm is a good choice for diameter
the stuff I ordered in China for test went directly in the trash bin after trying to solder it at 295°C

ftumch33
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/28/2020 - 22:07
Posts: 54
Location: Whitestone, NY

This might be a longshot but is there a way to flash the firmware to something else?

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5895
Location: Germany

ftumch33 wrote:
This might be a longshot but is there a way to flash the firmware to something else?

sure you can flash NarsilM, Ramping IOS or your own firmware for Atiny85
just getting the Aux code merged into another firmware is a big programming job
Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 4182
Location: California

Lexel wrote:
ftumch33 wrote:
This might be a longshot but is there a way to flash the firmware to something else?

sure you can flash NarsilM, Ramping IOS or your own firmware for Atiny85
just getting the Aux code merged into another firmware is a big programming job

D4V2 doesn’t use ATiny85. It uses the next size up processor. I forget the model number. 1634 maybe?

The light is fairly easy to flash to new firmware using the pogo-pin flashling kit available from International Outdoors. You don’t even need to disassemble the head.

ftumch33
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/28/2020 - 22:07
Posts: 54
Location: Whitestone, NY

D`oh! Flashing the light was intended for another post I have on the Astrolux S42

Sidney Stratton
Sidney Stratton's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 sec ago
Joined: 01/28/2018 - 22:59
Posts: 495
Location: Canuckistan
ftumch33 wrote:
D`oh! Flashing the light was intended for another post I have on the Astrolux S42

Lexel has new driver for S42 with Narsil M. Maybe a easier solution to ridance of that God awful UI.

Astrolux has recognized their fault and since re-designed w/ S43.