So, is there a current, very popular 14500 light on the scene?

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pavlo
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 12/13/2015 - 10:37
Posts: 941
Location: Canada

Check out the Jetbeam Jet I Mk

DHart
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/17/2017 - 01:49
Posts: 103
Location: Arizona
Pavlo wrote:
Check out the Jetbeam Jet I Mk

I have a Jetbeam Jet I Pro, from about 8 years ago. Great little light, but it’s most definitely a thrower. Deep reflector and tiny XR-E emitter.

Perhaps it could be customized into a floody, warm tint light with an XM-L2, textured reflector, and a TIR?

The bezel is removable, but I don’t know about finding a textured reflector that would fit, or making a TIR fit, somehow. I guess I could ask Vinh to mod it, though.

Geuzzz
Geuzzz's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2015 - 10:27
Posts: 1395
Location: Netherlands
Unheard wrote:
DHart wrote:
I will have to have a look at the RRT-01. Can it do warm, high CRI, flood?
T Not sure if there’s a TIR optics that would fit.

Unheard
Unheard's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 01/16/2019 - 11:38
Posts: 2076
Location: Germany
Shocked

Want one.

Smile, you cannot kill them all.

Geuzzz
Geuzzz's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2015 - 10:27
Posts: 1395
Location: Netherlands

I put a 20mm convoy tir lens in. Easy drop-in only a fat oring is needed under the bezel ring to compensate a small height difference.

Again, I really doubt you will like it as an edc. But there are even people happy edcing a HDS.

Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 1996
Location: Ohio, United States

Geuzzz wrote:
Hard to beat the eagletac. Maybe go for a newer version in titanium.

Will lose most ability to mod with the Ti versions.
Unheard wrote:
DHart wrote:
I will have to have a look at the RRT-01. Can it do warm, high CRI, flood?
The LED is easily accessible (2019 RRT01). I have not even had to disassemle the head completely to get to the MCPCB if memory serves. Not sure if there’s a TIR optics that would fit. The reflector geometry makes a more narrow spill. Best would probably be to stay with a domeless LED, else it might have some artifacts in the beam, but that’s just a guess based on my experiences with other deep smooth reflectors.

The bezel is glued, so you will need appropriate tools, with appropriate protection for the light so that the tools don’t scratch it.

Unheard
Unheard's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 01/16/2019 - 11:38
Posts: 2076
Location: Germany

Scallywag wrote:
The head is glued, so you will need appropriate tools, with appropriate protection for the light so that the tools don’t scratch it.

It’s sufficient to remove the bezel. That’s how I did it.

Smile, you cannot kill them all.

Pavlo
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 12/13/2015 - 10:37
Posts: 941
Location: Canada
DHart wrote:
Pavlo wrote:
Check out the Jetbeam Jet I Mk

I have a Jetbeam Jet I Pro, from about 8 years ago. Great little light, but it’s most definitely a thrower. Deep reflector and tiny XR-E emitter.

Perhaps it could be customized into a floody, warm tint light with an XM-L2, textured reflector, and a TIR?

The bezel is removable, but I don’t know about finding a textured reflector that would fit, or making a TIR fit, somehow. I guess I could ask Vinh to mod it, though.

If you can’t change the LED yourself, cheapest and easiest way to mod your light is add DCFix to the front of your lens.

DHart
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/17/2017 - 01:49
Posts: 103
Location: Arizona
Pavlo wrote:
DHart wrote:
Pavlo wrote:
Check out the Jetbeam Jet I Mk

I have a Jetbeam Jet I Pro, from about 8 years ago. Great little light, but it’s most definitely a thrower. Deep reflector and tiny XR-E emitter.

Perhaps it could be customized into a floody, warm tint light with an XM-L2, textured reflector, and a TIR?

The bezel is removable, but I don’t know about finding a textured reflector that would fit, or making a TIR fit, somehow. I guess I could ask Vinh to mod it, though.

If you can’t change the LED yourself, cheapest and easiest way to mod your light is add DCFix to the front of your lens.

Thanks Pavlo. I have enough ability to change the LED, what I don’t know anything about is getting different reflectors and/or lenses/TIR and fitting them to the light. I need to get more education on doing those kinds of mods! Cool I would love to mod my Jet I Pro to be warm and floody, but I don’t think I would be happy just obscuring/frosting the lens itself. I would want to do it right.

Siftah
Siftah's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/07/2012 - 08:08
Posts: 141
Location: Barcelona, Spain

SerenityNow wrote:
I love my EDC05C. If the main emitter was a but warmer, it would be perfect.

+1 for this.

Very handy little light.

Sirstinky
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 17:07
Posts: 1246
Location: Vancouver, WA

I just got a Sofirn SP10S today. Love it! The only EDC light I know of with a Samsung LH351D emitter, 90 cri 5000k. It has a super nice beam quality and on a Ladda cell is pretty bright for an AA. I can’t wait to try it with the 14500 if they ever get here from across the pond…Fit and finish are excellent, plus has AR coated lens. For $18 shipped on Amazon it’s a steal.

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6553
Location: Portugal

Sirstinky wrote:
The only EDC light I know of with a Samsung LH351D emitter, 90 cri 5000k.

The Skilhunt M150 also has that kind of led Wink
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000828485118.html

My unit had the XP-L HD CW, but the High Cri version is also available Wink

Tendou
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 03/26/2020 - 03:49
Posts: 153

So any negatives about that light that you found?
Sp10S very tempting for me now.

Sirstinky
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 17:07
Posts: 1246
Location: Vancouver, WA

The only one I can think of is it comes on in my pocket, but you can lock it out by unscrewing tail cap slightly, or tap the switch 4 times quickly. Otherwise it’s perfect as-is. Waiting for my 14500 for access to 800lm turbo! I tested it alongside my Sunwayman light with the xp-g2 and thre beam is nicer thanks to the high cri.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15041
Location: nyc
MascaratumB wrote:
Sirstinky wrote:
The only EDC light I know of with a Samsung LH351D emitter, 90 cri 5000k.
The Skilhunt M150 also has that kind of led Wink

I just got an M200 with the ’351. Niiiiice. I hope to stick a review on here soon.

For an 18650 light, it’s actually a bit shorter’n my GTmicro (14500), but of course the ‘micro has the wide head.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6553
Location: Portugal

Lightbringer wrote:

I just got an M200 with the ’351. Niiiiice. I hope to stick a review on here soon.

For an 18650 light, it’s actually a bit shorter’n my GTmicro (14500), but of course the ‘micro has the wide head.


That is one of the best 18650s I have Wink
That UI…is great!! And having the LH351D is a plus.

BTW, as I know you also like TIR and you don’t like tint shifts, I use a TIR with mine: http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1633778#comment-1633778

It reduced the output of course, but the tint shift also disappeared Wink

Glad you like that light too Cool

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15041
Location: nyc

Tendou wrote:
So any negatives about that light that you found?

Sp10S very tempting for me now.

There were a few things about the UI that bugged me. I already have a small pile of various SP10s (A, old B, new B, etc.) but no Ses, so I’m not in any itchin’ hurry to get an S.

Things I vaguely recall from others’ reviews include that it has mem or nomem based on whether you’re running an alkaleak or 14500, that it starts on low even though it has moonlight (ie, you’d have to cycle through the blinding modes just to cycle back to moonlight), little quirks like that.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

properstranger
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/26/2020 - 02:56
Posts: 2

Hi everyone, first post here. Finally registered so I might find out more about the high CRI versions of both the Sofirn SP10S and the Skilhunt M150. My Zebralight SC53w is my favorite flashlight in my very modest collection, but I like the idea of the extra brightness from 14500s and to still be able to run good old fashioned AAs. Also, if read correctly, both of these are 5000K. I much prefer the ZL 4500K tint to the 6000+ in my other lights, but I would like to try something just a tad whiter.

So any and all additional information on the Sofirn and Skilhunt high CRI versions would be greatly appreciated! First question, what is wrong with the UI on the M150? Second question, is how do both perform on primary AAs? I don’t expect them to be as bright as the ZL but are they in the same ballpark? And the last concern is pocketability. They are both longer than the ZL so any feedback on how comfortable, or not, they are to carry in a front pants pocket would be helpful also.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4768
Location: Central North America

> is there a current, very popular 14500 light on the scene

the 2020 RRT-01 can use 14500. It is the only present option for a Rotary that can use 14500..

for me the rotary UI is such a gamechanger, that I have lost interest in using lights with modes.

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6553
Location: Portugal

properstranger wrote:
Hi everyone, first post here. Finally registered so I might find out more about the high CRI versions of both the Sofirn SP10S and the Skilhunt M150. My Zebralight SC53w is my favorite flashlight in my very modest collection, but I like the idea of the extra brightness from 14500s and to still be able to run good old fashioned AAs. Also, if read correctly, both of these are 5000K. I much prefer the ZL 4500K tint to the 6000+ in my other lights, but I would like to try something just a tad whiter.

So any and all additional information on the Sofirn and Skilhunt high CRI versions would be greatly appreciated! First question, what is wrong with the UI on the M150? Second question, is how do both perform on primary AAs? I don’t expect them to be as bright as the ZL but are they in the same ballpark? And the last concern is pocketability. They are both longer than the ZL so any feedback on how comfortable, or not, they are to carry in a front pants pocket would be helpful also.


Hi and welcome to BLF, properstranger Wink

The Skilhunt M150 I have doesn’t have the Samsung LED, so I can’t actually tell how it looks like/performs on that flashlight. I believe that it will have some tint shift, because both leds I had there (Cree XPL2 and Luxeon V2 5000K) had/have tint shift due to the reflector.

About the UI of the M150, what is less good is that you go upwards and downwards when you cycle the levels (independently of being on the Mode A or B). Like: L-M-H-T-H-M-L or ML-L-M-H-T-H-M-L-ML.
The Skilhunt M200 (the 18650 version) perfected the UI and you can go like this: ML-L-M-H-T-ML-L-M-H-T.
That is the major issue, but there are others (like double click for Strobe when ON).

About running it on AAs, well, it doesn’t give you so much power as on the 14500s, that is for sure. On the lowest modes, maybe it can give you more runtime, but I don’t how much more it will last, specially if you have higher capacity 14500s (Vapcell and Shockli have some with ~1000mAh).
I was trying to find some photos comparing my use of it with AA vs 14500 but I didn’t take any Facepalm
But the difference…is quite big! And won’t even reach the level of the ZL. The 750 lumens are a bit exageratted.
However, this light seems pretty efficient in case you wanna try it.

Don’t leave it locked electronically with the red led turned ON, as it will drain you battery fast !!!

properstranger
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/26/2020 - 02:56
Posts: 2

Thanks MascaratumB for the welcome and thanks for the feedback. I just found and read your excellent review of the M150 from last year. Loved all of the comparison shots. From your explanation of the UI it seems there are some good aspects of the UI to at least partially offset the negative ones. I don’t think that would be a deal breaker for me. As far as your reply on running AAs, “won’t even reach the level of the ZL. The 750 lumens are a bit exaggerated.”, you aren’t saying that it isn’t as powerful on 14500s as the ZL is on AAs are you?

Jchang76
Jchang76's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 05/25/2020 - 02:22
Posts: 60
Location: Los Angeles

I don’t know who did it but i have a tool 2.0 ti swapped to 219b 3500k snd frosted lens. It’s very nice. Orig owner had 2 done snd he likedthe 4500 better so i got to buy the “reject” in no way is a reject. The low level is too bright though, which is a common complaint. This is quickly becoming my favorite night time light.
Jc

Jchang76
Jchang76's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 05/25/2020 - 02:22
Posts: 60
Location: Los Angeles

DHart wrote:
How about the Lumintop Tool AA? Is that light readily modded to a Nichia 219BT 3500k, for floody, warm output?

Meant to reply to the above. Sorry, not forum competant. Low tech here, with shiny light…ooo

Pages