Anduril ... 2?

1307 posts / 0 new
Last post
pol77
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 02/21/2019 - 07:54
Posts: 471
Location: London

Hello Toykeeper. Thanks for your great work in developing Anduril 2 (and Anduril before it).

I see several Anduril 2 hex files available since yesterday.

Are these a release version, tested and safe to use?
I do not see a complete diagram of the Anduril 2 interface and I fear that despite reading through most of this tread, without a guide like that I would keep forgetting / getting lost. Are you close to completing it?
Any progress on a Lume1 version?

Thanks

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1797
Location: MN

pol77 wrote:
Hello Toykeeper. Thanks for your great work in developing Anduril 2 (and Anduril before it).

I see several Anduril 2 hex files available since yesterday.

Are these a release version, tested and safe to use?
I do not see a complete diagram of the Anduril 2 interface and I fear that despite reading through most of this tread, without a guide like that I would keep forgetting / getting lost. Are you close to completing it?
Any progress on a Lume1 version?

Thanks

There is a text manual in the same directory, it’s takes a while to get through but that lays out the new actions and flow even better than a chart would IMO.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10896
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3 // I get way more privmsgs than I can respond to, so please ask in a public thread if possible, for a faster answer.

There isn’t a full UI diagram yet. It’s kind of a pain to make one with so many functions on it. Every time I try, it ends up turning into a table instead of a flowchart.

But there is at least a diagram for the simple mode…

LifeXventure
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 06/19/2020 - 06:05
Posts: 32
Location: Kuala Lumpur, MYS

Is it possible to revert to Andúril 1 after the upgrade to Andúril 2?

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 15065
Location: LI NY

Sure, why not? As long as you got a hex file to burn...

LifeXventure
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 06/19/2020 - 06:05
Posts: 32
Location: Kuala Lumpur, MYS

That’s awesome. Just to reassured that as I remembered TK did mentioned it is kinda no U turn. Thanks Tom E.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 15065
Location: LI NY

I'm speculating she may be referring to not doing anymore development on Anduril 1, so Anduril2 will get all future mods and support for new drivers and flashlights, etc.

LifeXventure
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 06/19/2020 - 06:05
Posts: 32
Location: Kuala Lumpur, MYS

That will be good to know. Thanks again.

elendur
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 09/25/2020 - 22:58
Posts: 100
Location: Saint Lawrence River

[Edit: you can disregard this post; lockout 2H is the manual memory setting (if there is one) per the up to date manual]
Hi, I am still on anduril 2 compiled 2019-09-25 for D4v2, I thought I would still report before upgrading just in case it is indeed a bug and may have carried over:

When in lockout mode —> 2H, the second momentary brightness is stuck at around 10 or 20
I have now set the ceil of smooth, stepped and simple UI ramps to different higher levels (over 30). Didn’t change. Then I set smooth ramp ceil to 1.
However, lockout 2H is still stuck at around lvl 10, while 1H behaves as expected and is the lowest ceil of the ramps. I hope this helps.

tornade
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/23/2020 - 13:50
Posts: 14
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Don’t know if it’ll help but per the anduril 2 manual
in the lockout section :

“2H: Light up at the highest floor level. (or the manual mem level, if there is one)”

So your 2H is probably your manual mem setting…

elendur
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 09/25/2020 - 22:58
Posts: 100
Location: Saint Lawrence River

Yup this is it thank you! Lockout 2H was my memory setting… This is probably why the Anduril2.hex was just published, that line of the manual wasn’t there on the 25th!

Anduril is great. Thank you Toykeeper and other helpers and contributors.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1797
Location: MN

Take note that hybrid memory seems to affect the Lockout 2H as well, until the timer is up it will use the highest ceiling setting rather than your manual mem level. I was confused why this was happening until I let the light sit for a couple min.

D4Sv2 and KR4 are both using the 9/25 firmware and have been working perfectly so far. Haven’t done any graphing or real measurements other than a quick check with an IR thermometer, but thermal management seems to be functioning well- definitely stepping down when it needs to and smoothly as far as I can tell.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10896
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3 // I get way more privmsgs than I can respond to, so please ask in a public thread if possible, for a faster answer.
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Take note that hybrid memory seems to affect the Lockout 2H as well, until the timer is up it will use the highest ceiling setting rather than your manual mem level. I was confused why this was happening until I let the light sit for a couple min.

Lockout mode uses the manual memory level for 2H, if that level is non-zero. Otherwise it uses the higher of the two ramp floors. The hybrid memory timer is not even considered… and neither are the ceiling levels.

If your lockout 2H level changes after the light sits for a few minutes, something is broken.

The code is a pretty simple algorithm:

  • If the user pressed 2H:
    • By default, use the highest of the two ramp floors.
    • If manual memory is enabled (at all), use that level instead.

That’s all. There is no logic to change brightness based on the amount of time it has been locked.

elendur
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 6 days ago
Joined: 09/25/2020 - 22:58
Posts: 100
Location: Saint Lawrence River

Indeed this is what I also experience: 2H is always the manual memory (unless manual memory is disabled) (on the older software compiled by myself the 25th).

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10896
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3 // I get way more privmsgs than I can respond to, so please ask in a public thread if possible, for a faster answer.

Yeah, the “lowest floor first, highest floor or manual mem” thing was added on 2020-08-05. So it has been that way for a while. I just didn’t remember to update the documentation until a month and a half later.

Full details are in the revision history, for anyone who cares enough to look. There’s a lot of detail though, since there have been almost a hundred revisions in the anduril2 branch alone… in addition to the ~1160 or so revisions currently in the parent repository.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1797
Location: MN

Just tried it again, must have hit the the first of the manual/hybrid mem menu options by mistake and disabled manual mem. When properly set 2H-lockout functioned as normal with hybrid mem enabled. Thumbs Up

Pathoz
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 09/22/2020 - 01:34
Posts: 9

Does anyone know the version that would work with the FT03 sst40? I was gonna red lash but it’s running narsil

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 1806
Location: Germany

Do you want Anduril 1 or 2 for the FT03? The driver requires some patches for the “uncommon” channel configuration. Here are the necessary changes:

https://github.com/SammysHP/flashlight-firmware/commits/astrolux-ft03-an...

If you like I can rebase it on the latest version of Anduril 2 tomorrow and send you a build.

@ToyKeeper
Would be great if you add a way to make this work upstream. For the 1634 the definitions are already in the hwdef config, maybe this should also be done for the 85.

Pathoz
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 09/22/2020 - 01:34
Posts: 9

Quote:
Do you want Anduril 1 or 2 for the FT03? The driver requires some patches for the “uncommon” channel configuration. Here are the necessary changes:
https://github.com/SammysHP/flashlight-firmware/commits/astrolux-ft03-an…

If you like I can rebase it on the latest version of Anduril 2 tomorrow and send you a build.
@ToyKeeper
Would be great if you add a way to make this work upstream. For the 1634 the definitions are already in the hwdef config, maybe this should also be done for the 85.

Yeah that would be great, thank you so much

SammysHP
SammysHP's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 06/25/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 1806
Location: Germany

@Pathoz
Here it is. Haven’t tested this build, but one a few revisions ago.

https://cloud.finf.uni-hannover.de/s/awzoZWnDrx8F8mp

Overload
Overload's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 01/15/2018 - 16:43
Posts: 256
Location: Belguim

Just flashed my PL47G2 with anduril 2.When pressing 3C from off,I got this sequence:
-batt check
-beacon
-temp check

1)The sequence is different than explained in the manual(batt check,temp check,beacon, sos), is that normal?
2)Any idea why I don’t have sos mode?

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 15065
Location: LI NY

SOS is probably disabled as a default. I always understood the order to be batt/beacon/temp - this is how Anduril and Anduril2 work, as far as I know. With Anduril2, you can disable beacon too (wink)

Overload
Overload's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 01/15/2018 - 16:43
Posts: 256
Location: Belguim

Thanx, any idea how I can enable it?By editing the firmware file or by button presses?
I cannot find anything about it in the manual…

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 15065
Location: LI NY

In config-default.h:

// boring strobes nobody really likes, but sometimes flashlight companies want
// (these replace the fun strobe group,
// so don't enable them at the same time as any of the above strobes)
//#define USE_POLICE_STROBE_MODE
//#define USE_SOS_MODE
//#define USE_SOS_MODE_IN_FF_GROUP // put SOS in the "boring strobes" mode
//#define USE_SOS_MODE_IN_BLINKY_GROUP // put SOS in the blinkies mode group

So, you have to edit this file, or add the #define's to your cfg file. It's compiled in or out, so you can't add it via the UI.

Overload
Overload's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 01/15/2018 - 16:43
Posts: 256
Location: Belguim

Thank you very much Wink

ZoomieFan
ZoomieFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 28 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2016 - 05:25
Posts: 675
Location: Netherlands

Is the following possible?

[a] 3 stepped modes + optionally a hidden turbo
[b] Configure all 3 (or 4 in case of turbo) of them with whatever lumen value I like.
© Optionally: Groups

I tried all sort of stuff and always come back to something simple.
[a] I have in both my favorite lights, but [b] would really set it aside from other UIs. It would instantly solve all complaints about bad mode spacing.

© Very much like the Convoy groups. But this time the user defines the values as described in [b]
Just a few groups would be great. I would make a Indoor, Outdoor, Speciality groups.

Is something like the above possible with the new UI?

Chargers: 1xBasen BD01 5/5, 1x Gyrfalcon All-88 4/5, LiitoKala: 3x100 3/5, 2x202 3/5, 1x402 3/5., MiBoxer C4-12 3/5.
Flashlights: DQG Tiny III 26650 5/5, DQG Tiny III 18650 5/5
FiTorch MR35 3/5, Haikelite SC26 HD 3/5, Lumintop Tool AA/AAA 4/5, Nitecore LA10, Skillhunt H04FRC 4/5, Sofirn C01 BLF 3200k/5600k 2/5, Zebralight H600Fc 3/5.
Powerbanks: Romoss 30000 4/5, xiomi 1000 4/5, Xtar PB2 4/5, Xtar PB2S 5/5

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10896
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3 // I get way more privmsgs than I can respond to, so please ask in a public thread if possible, for a faster answer.

SammysHP wrote:
Do you want Anduril 1 or 2 for the FT03? The driver requires some patches for the “uncommon” channel configuration. Here are the necessary changes:

https://github.com/SammysHP/flashlight-firmware/commits/astrolux-ft03-an...

If you like I can rebase it on the latest version of Anduril 2 tomorrow and send you a build.

@ToyKeeper
Would be great if you add a way to make this work upstream. For the 1634 the definitions are already in the hwdef config, maybe this should also be done for the 85.

Thanks! I’ll have to include this soon.

About the channel configuration, it could definitely stand to be refactored. It’ll probably require moving some setup code out of FSM though, and into each tiny85 hwdef file. That part of FSM was written when every device used the same pins for PWM, so it didn’t need the extra flexibility used in the later hwdefs.

Overload wrote:
1)The sequence is different than explained in the manual(batt check,temp check,beacon, sos), is that normal? 2)Any idea why I don’t have sos mode?

Looks like this was already answered. SOS isn’t included by default, since every time it comes up, people almost unanimously say they don’t want it.

I’m probably going to change the order of the blinky modes though, before calling Anduril 2 “done”. I think Tom makes a good point, so I’m thinking of changing the order to:

  • Batt check
  • Temp check
  • Beacon
  • SOS

… and some of these may or may not be included, depending on how the build target is configured.

I’m not planning to put version check into the blinky group though. It’s too useful for customer support purposes to hide it at the end of a hidden mode group. So it is intentionally easy to reach by doing “click a bunch of times (15 or more)”.

ZoomieFan wrote:
Is the following possible?

[a] 3 stepped modes + optionally a hidden turbo
[b] Configure all 3 (or 4 in case of turbo) of them with whatever lumen value I like.
© Optionally: Groups

A. Yes. The stepped ramp and simple-mode ramp can both be configured to have 3 steps. Simple has no turbo, while the regular stepped ramp does.

B. No. It only allows setting the floor and ceiling levels. Intermediate steps are calculated automatically. However, you could adjust the ramp shape in the source code in order to change the spacing of intermediate levels. If you prefer more low modes, use a steep ramp like x^9, and if you prefer more high modes, use a gentle ramp like x^2.

C. Ish. There is a smooth ramp, a stepped ramp, and a simple-mode ramp. Each can have different configuration. Part of the reason why these exist is so people can have one configured for indoor use and one for outdoor use, with a quick and easy shortcut to switch between.

The default and recommended configuration is to use smooth indoors, stepped outdoors, and simple mode for when someone else uses the light.

ZoomieFan
ZoomieFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 28 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2016 - 05:25
Posts: 675
Location: Netherlands

ToyKeeper wrote:

ZoomieFan wrote:
Is the following possible?

[a] 3 stepped modes + optionally a hidden turbo
[b] Configure all 3 (or 4 in case of turbo) of them with whatever lumen value I like.
© Optionally: Groups

A. Yes. The stepped ramp and simple-mode ramp can both be configured to have 3 steps. Simple has no turbo, while the regular stepped ramp does.

B. No. It only allows setting the floor and ceiling levels. Intermediate steps are calculated automatically. However, you could adjust the ramp shape in the source code in order to change the spacing of intermediate levels. If you prefer more low modes, use a steep ramp like x^9, and if you prefer more high modes, use a gentle ramp like x^2.

C. Ish. There is a smooth ramp, a stepped ramp, and a simple-mode ramp. Each can have different configuration. Part of the reason why these exist is so people can have one configured for indoor use and one for outdoor use, with a quick and easy shortcut to switch between.

The default and recommended configuration is to use smooth indoors, stepped outdoors, and simple mode for when someone else uses the light.

[B] What I’m after is this: 5, 15, 30 lm, and turbo of whatever value the light doesn’t step down quickly. Likely in the 450-800 lm range.

Chargers: 1xBasen BD01 5/5, 1x Gyrfalcon All-88 4/5, LiitoKala: 3x100 3/5, 2x202 3/5, 1x402 3/5., MiBoxer C4-12 3/5.
Flashlights: DQG Tiny III 26650 5/5, DQG Tiny III 18650 5/5
FiTorch MR35 3/5, Haikelite SC26 HD 3/5, Lumintop Tool AA/AAA 4/5, Nitecore LA10, Skillhunt H04FRC 4/5, Sofirn C01 BLF 3200k/5600k 2/5, Zebralight H600Fc 3/5.
Powerbanks: Romoss 30000 4/5, xiomi 1000 4/5, Xtar PB2 4/5, Xtar PB2S 5/5

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10896
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3 // I get way more privmsgs than I can respond to, so please ask in a public thread if possible, for a faster answer.
ZoomieFan wrote:
What I’m after is this: 5, 15, 30 lm, and turbo of whatever value the light doesn’t step down quickly.

Not sure if it helps at all, but I generally only use steps 1/7, 2/7, and occasionally 3/7. And maybe once in a while, 7/7. This gives me two or three decent low-to-medium modes and a burst mode… and the extras in-between may not get used but they’re also not in the way. It’s not like a clicky-switch light where the user must cycle through each mode while navigating.

Another way to configure it is with 3 steps, with the floor at ~5 lm and the ceiling at ~50 lm. Then it’s just three steps and there can still be access to turbo if you want it.

Or use the smooth ramp, so the number of steps won’t even be relevant.

If consistent runtimes are needed at such low levels, another option is to set manual memory to ~15 lm, go to the smooth ramp, and set the manual memory timer to a short value like 1 minute. Then it’ll always turn on at the same brightness, unless it was turned off very recently. It basically becomes a 1-mode light with the ability to temporarily adjust brightness if needed.

If none of these options are acceptable, sources are available including a UI toolkit and a couple simpler example UIs which can be modified to use arbitrary levels.

So… there are options. None are exactly as requested, but some can be pretty close.

ZoomieFan
ZoomieFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 28 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2016 - 05:25
Posts: 675
Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Another way to configure it is with 3 steps, with the floor at ~5 lm and the ceiling at ~50 lm. Then it’s just three steps and there can still be access to turbo if you want it.

So that’s 5 low, 50 high and something like 25/30 mid? Would be good. The lumens I mention are just an indication. If on top of that I can configure a turbo I got all I need.

Quote:
If consistent runtimes are needed at such low levels
If I have to swap cells once every 4 hours I’m pleased. Even a AA does that with ease (Tool AA, wish I could reprogram tha one)

Quote:
If none of these options are acceptable, sources are available including a UI toolkit and a couple simpler example UIs which can be modified to use arbitrary levels.

So the levels are hard coded? Bit of coding likely won’t cause much of problem. My bigger challenges are finding a light with the right chip that’s not glued down or something like that.

So it sounds what I want is possible with some tweaking.

Chargers: 1xBasen BD01 5/5, 1x Gyrfalcon All-88 4/5, LiitoKala: 3x100 3/5, 2x202 3/5, 1x402 3/5., MiBoxer C4-12 3/5.
Flashlights: DQG Tiny III 26650 5/5, DQG Tiny III 18650 5/5
FiTorch MR35 3/5, Haikelite SC26 HD 3/5, Lumintop Tool AA/AAA 4/5, Nitecore LA10, Skillhunt H04FRC 4/5, Sofirn C01 BLF 3200k/5600k 2/5, Zebralight H600Fc 3/5.
Powerbanks: Romoss 30000 4/5, xiomi 1000 4/5, Xtar PB2 4/5, Xtar PB2S 5/5

Pages