Banggood won't honor warranty

32 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

arficus
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/11/2013 - 06:10
Posts: 191
Location: PNW
Banggood won't honor warranty

Nitecore website specifies that warranty service should be sought via retailer. Nevertheless, Banggood refuses to honor their warranty. Buyers beware!

Couchmaster
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 05/04/2016 - 17:11
Posts: 522
Location: USA

Can you share what occured?

arficus
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/11/2013 - 06:10
Posts: 191
Location: PNW
Couchmaster wrote:
Can you share what occured?

Bought HC30 from banggood. It died – appears to be driver issue. Banggood customer service said THEIR warranty period had expired. I pointed them to nitecore site, where it clearly says warranty period is 5 years (which hasn’t elapsed) and that those seeking warranty service need to do so from the RETAILER. Banggood didn’t care about either point, and again simply responded that warranty had expired.

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3129
Location: Netherlands

How old is your light?

tatasal
Online
Last seen: 1 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 02/15/2012 - 08:40
Posts: 5666
Location: Far East

Just contact NC’s email: service@nitecore.com directly.

They will just ask you for the serial number of your light.

NC’s aftersales service is great.

I had two experiences with them, of which on the second time they replaced my EA8 entirely after the failed switch repair in the first.

Edit: I bought the EA8 used, l didn’t even know where it was originally bought.

As to the OP’s concern regarding BG, that is another matter.

Swabs
Swabs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/06/2019 - 11:41
Posts: 463
Location: California
arficus wrote:
Couchmaster wrote:
Can you share what occured?

Bought HC30 from banggood. It died – appears to be driver issue. Banggood customer service said THEIR warranty period had expired. I pointed them to nitecore site, where it clearly says warranty period is 5 years (which hasn’t elapsed) and that those seeking warranty service need to do so from the RETAILER. Banggood didn’t care about either point, and again simply responded that warranty had expired.

I feel your pain. That’s why I threw my Astrolux FT02 in the trash. I had enough of the baloney going back and forth, so I ate my losses.

My Future's So Bright...well, my flashlights are anyways.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 16173
Location: nyc

Not to sound snarky (I’d be pist, myself), but even though NC has a 5yr warranty, what would anyone expect BG to do after 1yr, let alone 4yrs?

They don’t have their own repair center, chances are the light won’t even exist by that time, you know you won’t get any bux back, and if those retailers might even insist you send back the light to China (costing you 50bux or more in fully-trackable shipping) even for a DOA, what would anyone expect them to do? People gotta sic PP and their CC issuer on them for a light that’s DOA right out of the box, and people would expect them to honor warranty service??

Those retailers, once they get hold of your bux, they ain’t ever giving it back without a fight to the death. Even if an item doesn’t even ship, or gets lost in transit, etc., they just expect you to eat it, vs giving back a dime. And then it’s off to PP or your CC issuer to have them duke it out with the retailer.

Naw, I’d go to NC directly and explain to ‘em the sitch. Maybe they’ll do something. I think that’s pretty much the only chance you’d have.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3129
Location: Netherlands

Exactly what i was thinking Lightbringer!

You really can not expect any service from a Chinese webshop after succesfully using a light a couple of years.

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 4844
Location: California

Yokiamy wrote:
Exactly what i was thinking Lightbringer!

You really can not expect any service from a Chinese webshop after succesfully using a light a couple of years.


This.

Also, as the purchase was outside of Banggood’s warranty I would expect that you should go directly to the manufacturer. I think it unreasonable to expect a discount webshop to provide lifetime service on their own. Especially, when pretty much all they could do if you shipped them your light is to forward it onward to the manufacturer anyways.

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 2121

Your beef is with NC my friend. BG has nothing to do with this.

arficus
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/11/2013 - 06:10
Posts: 191
Location: PNW

Good points. I did think that since NC has a policy that retailers handle warranty that it meant their retailers had agreed to that, but after a little thought I realize there’s no reason to really assume that…

varbos
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 02/16/2017 - 07:36
Posts: 593

Quote:
Warranty Details

1. Our authorized dealers and distributors are responsible for warranty service. Should any problem covered under warranty occurs, customers can contact their dealers or distributors in regards to their warranty claims, as long as the product was purchased from an authorized dealer or distributor.

All authorized dealers and distributors agree to provide the warranty support. This is a deal they make with Nitecore, they cannot be a dealer if they do not agree to it.

This means Banggood are probably not an authorized dealer, they are selling fakes. Thanks for the warning, nobody should buy Nitecore from Banggood !

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3129
Location: Netherlands

I highly doubt bg sells fakes, but guarantee is a whole other story.

They just want to make quick money and the cs reputation of them is already poor when it comes to defects or DOA’s or empty packages or whatever.
So if your light was working for over e.g. 2 years and died, you might be technically correct to contact them for warranty.

But i want to bet that you won’t get any

2A
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/18/2020 - 09:57
Posts: 569
Location: quarantained

I purchased a USB meter/analyzer in early 2019 and it stopped working before Christmas. Contacted BG CS and they offered me a partial refund. I took it because the device was almost a year old. so.. while this isn’t a “real warranty” but at least it was something.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 16173
Location: nyc

varbos wrote:
Quote:
Warranty Details

1. Our authorized dealers and distributors are responsible for warranty service. Should any problem covered under warranty occurs, customers can contact their dealers or distributors in regards to their warranty claims, as long as the product was purchased from an authorized dealer or distributor.

All authorized dealers and distributors agree to provide the warranty support. This is a deal they make with Nitecore, they cannot be a dealer if they do not agree to it.

This means Banggood are probably not an authorized dealer, they are selling fakes. Thanks for the warning, nobody should buy Nitecore from Banggood !

Didn’t some mfr get a solid thrashing here a few months back after “announcing” that they’ll only honor warranty work from authorised resellers, only most of the usual channels were not “authorised”? So basically you’re SOL.

Mightta been Lumintop, but don’t quote me on that. (Yeah, I know… some wiseass will stick that in a quoteblock.)

Anyway, that’s why I tend to not buy pricey lights. “Warranty” or not, if it breaks down the road, you’re largely SOL. You’d have to pay shipping there and possibly back, if it’s “abused” they might not fix it at all, or fix it only if you agree to pay for it, etc. Conditions, restrictions, exclusions, etc. Warranties are usually garbage.

So, you wanna buy a 500buk or even 100buk light, accept that you’re largely on your own.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17607
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

I don't remember which company it was, but a thrashing they did get.

I believe the thread was deleted as per request of the company.

arficus
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/11/2013 - 06:10
Posts: 191
Location: PNW

About 7 years ago some guy was selling lots of new lights hereabouts (Bob, aka “kuma bear”). He had a large number of Thrunite TN36 (around $135 I think). I bought one – it worked for maybe 4 hours over a couple months. Thrunite said he wasn’t an authorized reseller (so they would do nothing) and kuma bear had disappeared, so I was SOL. Still have it, hoping I (or someone) will be able to use it as a host someday…

moderator007
moderator007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 04:47
Posts: 3777
Location: North Carolina

More than likely, even if BG agreed to warranty it with it being older, that be the last time anyone ever seen it.
I remeber someone on here sending a light back for warranty work and the seller claimed they never received it.
I“m not saying that would happen, just it is a possibility.
Go directly to Nitecore, if nothing happens, cut your losses and fix the light yourself or buy another similar light from a local reputable seller.
Its hard to swallow, but sometimes its best to move on and in hopes that karma will eventually kick in.

arficus
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 01/11/2013 - 06:10
Posts: 191
Location: PNW

tatasal wrote:
Just contact NC’s email: service@nitecore.com directly.

They will just ask you for the serial number of your light.

NC’s aftersales service is great.

I had two experiences with them, of which on the second time they replaced my EA8 entirely after the failed switch repair in the first.

Edit: I bought the EA8 used, l didn’t even know where it was originally bought.

As to the OP’s concern regarding BG, that is another matter.

Thanks for the tip. I had actually already emailed thrunite. They responded promptly, indeed asking for serial number (along with info on my batteries, their voltage, chargers). Awaiting their response, Hopefully my experience with them will be as positive as yours – I’ll follow up…

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 days ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 3196

raccoon city wrote:

I don't remember which company it was, but a thrashing they did get.

I believe the thread was deleted as per request of the company.

KLARUS

moderator007
moderator007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 04:47
Posts: 3777
Location: North Carolina

This thread might interest you if you end up keeping the light, might even be better than original.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/44307

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17607
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Lux-Perpetua wrote:

KLARUS

Klarus is one company that did this, and then another company did it more recently, if I remember correctly.

It may have been Lumintop, as Lightbringer said.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 2325
Location: New Zealand

varbos wrote:
All authorized dealers and distributors agree to provide the warranty support. This is a deal they make with Nitecore, they cannot be a dealer if they do not agree to it.

This means Banggood are probably not an authorized dealer, they are selling fakes. Thanks for the warning, nobody should buy Nitecore from Banggood !

Ah, that’s not entirely true.

I’m an authorized distributor for Sofirn, Fireflies, Convoy, Mateminco, and shortly Skilhunt. I am able state my own warranty period, no matter what’s mentioned on their website. This warranty period has to be in line with the countries consumers guarantees act though. I provide 12 months for most or if I’m clearing out stock for super cheap I go 3 months.

Fireflies give me a 2 year warranty but to avoid issues I only provide 12 months. I get a bit nervous with all the aux lights and leds used.

Also if a manufacturer states a 1.5m impact resistance, I choose what I advertise it at, can’t always believe every single spec.

varbos
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 02/16/2017 - 07:36
Posts: 593

Funtastic wrote:

Ah, that’s not entirely true.

What I stated is true. To be a Nitecore dealer, you agree to handle warranty claims.

This is a very common arrangement that many brands have with their dealers and distributors network. Since the dealer may be geographically closer to the customer, the warranty claim can be handled by the dealer.

In most cases the brand would look very poorly upon the dealer refusing to handle the customers warranty claim, since it is an agreed arrangement.

Most of the brands you mention are small Chinese brands and so do not operate in the same way as large international brands.

tatasal
Online
Last seen: 1 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 02/15/2012 - 08:40
Posts: 5666
Location: Far East
Swabs wrote:
arficus wrote:
Couchmaster wrote:
Can you share what occured?

Bought HC30 from banggood. It died – appears to be driver issue. Banggood customer service said THEIR warranty period had expired. I pointed them to nitecore site, where it clearly says warranty period is 5 years (which hasn’t elapsed) and that those seeking warranty service need to do so from the RETAILER. Banggood didn’t care about either point, and again simply responded that warranty had expired.

I feel your pain. That’s why I threw my Astrolux FT02 in the trash. I had enough of the baloney going back and forth, so I ate my losses.

For all intents and purposes, Banggood should take care of ANY Astrolux valid product complaint, considering it is their very own brand.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 2325
Location: New Zealand

varbos wrote:
Funtastic wrote:

Ah, that’s not entirely true.

What I stated is true. To be a Nitecore dealer, you agree to handle warranty claims.

This is a very common arrangement that many brands have with their dealers and distributors network. Since the dealer may be geographically closer to the customer, the warranty claim can be handled by the dealer.

In most cases the brand would look very poorly upon the dealer refusing to handle the customers warranty claim, since it is an agreed arrangement.

Most of the brands you mention are small Chinese brands and so do not operate in the same way as large international brands.

Fair point, but even if it was a larger brand, I still decide. The main thing is having that specified on the website for customers to see.

Similar example would be computer shops ditching the individual part warranties with their own set period.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 2325
Location: New Zealand
tatasal wrote:
For all intents and purposes, Banggood should take care of ANY Astrolux valid product complaint, considering it is their very own brand.

Mateminco is the manufacturer for Astrolux. Banggood just rebrands them.

tatasal
Online
Last seen: 1 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 02/15/2012 - 08:40
Posts: 5666
Location: Far East
Funtastic wrote:
tatasal wrote:
For all intents and purposes, Banggood should take care of ANY Astrolux valid product complaint, considering it is their very own brand.

Mateminco is the manufacturer for Astrolux. Banggood just rebrands them.

Yes, I know that, …but Mateminco backs their own brand with warranty, and the subcontracted Astrolux by BG should back it up too, otherwise, if BG point a finger each time from any valid complaints…well you know what will happen, although Matenminco and BG probably have their own internal policies regarding claims.

Edit: Some of the later Astrolux models are no longer made by Mateminco.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 2325
Location: New Zealand

Yeah, just the EC series.

BG said they give 6 months but they’re already difficult with an immediate claim. Lost a lot of time trying to deal with their customer service

Sillen
Sillen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2018 - 06:39
Posts: 750
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Funtastic wrote:
varbos wrote:
All authorized dealers and distributors agree to provide the warranty support. This is a deal they make with Nitecore, they cannot be a dealer if they do not agree to it.

This means Banggood are probably not an authorized dealer, they are selling fakes. Thanks for the warning, nobody should buy Nitecore from Banggood !

Ah, that’s not entirely true.

I’m an authorized distributor for Sofirn, Fireflies, Convoy, Mateminco, and shortly Skilhunt. I am able state my own warranty period, no matter what’s mentioned on their website. This warranty period has to be in line with the countries consumers guarantees act though. I provide 12 months for most or if I’m clearing out stock for super cheap I go 3 months.

Fireflies give me a 2 year warranty but to avoid issues I only provide 12 months. I get a bit nervous with all the aux lights and leds used.

Also if a manufacturer states a 1.5m impact resistance, I choose what I advertise it at, can’t always believe every single spec.

Good to hear. Is NZ consumer law similar to Oz?

Any light I buy from BG China is expendable. My most expensiv light, Imalent RT70 I purchased from Liteshop in Sydney for the better Oz consumer warranty.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 2325
Location: New Zealand

Sillen wrote:
Good to hear. Is NZ consumer law similar to Oz?

Any light I buy from BG China is expendable. My most expensiv light, Imalent RT70 I purchased from Liteshop in Sydney for the better Oz consumer warranty.

After a quick read it looks like the Aus CGA has a minimum of 12 month requirement, and up to 2 years to make a claim?. I’m not familiar with it.

NZ’s CGA just states “products must be of acceptable quality and last for a reasonable length of time”

I provide x months/years warranty, then provide free lifetime labor on repairs. I find that people prefer knowing I can repair their torch 8 years later, than getting a longer warranty. This of course is limited to how long parts are available from manufacturers if it has proprietary parts.

If I can’t fix it, I’ll offer a discount or even a new light at cost price.

Every other store in NZ just provides a manufacturer’s warranty and afterwards charge an insane amount to fix it. This is what makes my service unique, also since I build my own too.

I’ll soon be shipping to Aus Smile

Pages