Sofirn IF25A - LVP actually works?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
river345
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 03:07
Posts: 177
Sofirn IF25A - LVP actually works?

I was wondering if there’s been any confirmation that the LVP for the Sofirn IF25A actually works. It’s listed as a feature, but I’ve read reports about other Sofirn lights where the low voltage protection doesn’t work. Just wanted to know if the IF25A would prevent battery from complete drain.

Also, I’m wondering if other people think LVP is something to worry about? Is it dangerous not having LVP? Does it turn the light into a pipe bomb?

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 3644
Location: US

Aside from boost drivers most lights will become so dim in practice you will know something is wrong either way.

What light does Sofirn advertise LVP where it doesn’t work?

It probably won’t become a pipe bomb but either way you want some form of LVP.

ggf31416
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 02/25/2016 - 17:38
Posts: 703
Location: Uruguay

SP32A has no LVP but it’s not advertised as having it. It will keep working and producing light at low voltages like 2.3V, the XP-L2 has very low Vf.

river345
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 03:07
Posts: 177

contactcr wrote:
Aside from boost drivers most lights will become so dim in practice you will know something is wrong either way.

What light does Sofirn advertise LVP where it doesn’t work?

It probably won’t become a pipe bomb but either way you want some form of LVP.

Between side buttons sometimes accidently getting turned on or low modes not being noticed, I’m worried that lights get left on unattended for weeks or months. Then you’re just dealing with whether the chemistry is going to cause problems.

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 3644
Location: US

In that case use protected if you aren’t sure and/or unscrew tail cap slightly.

Typically the problems occur recharging bad battery or using faulty charger that never terminates.

Use good charger and don’t leave any shady ones in unsafe place or unattended

Blggg
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 08/25/2018 - 07:23
Posts: 145
Location: Thailand

I have this light, but I haven’t tried to use it till a very low voltage because the light would be too dim, which annoys me. I normally end up charging it when the voltage is down too about 3.4-3.5V. If you can wait, I will try and let you know in a few days.

river345
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 03:07
Posts: 177
Blggg wrote:
I have this light, but I haven’t tried to use it till a very low voltage because the light would be too dim, which annoys me. I normally end up charging it when the voltage is down too about 3.4-3.5V. If you can wait, I will try and let you know in a few days.

Much appreciated. Which version did you get, the 4000k or the 6000k? I like warmer lights, but I’m getting this light mostly for lumens, so I’m torn.

There’s not a lot of info on specs for this light. I was wondering if there was a real moonlight mode – lots of Sofirn lights have a moonlight of 5 lumens, which isn’t very low. I thought maybe having Andril helps with the moonlight? Not sure.

I also wondered if this can handle CR123A’s.

MAX-MX
MAX-MX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 01/16/2019 - 03:49
Posts: 39
Location: Ukraine

Recently I checked to what voltage the IF-25A discharges the battery. After the flashlight turned off completely, the voltage on the battery after being removed from the flashlight was somewhere around 2.8 V.

river345
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 03:07
Posts: 177
MAX-MX wrote:
Recently I checked to what voltage the IF-25A discharges the battery. After the flashlight turned off completely, the voltage on the battery after being removed from the flashlight was somewhere around 2.8 V.

Thanks. That’s a good level for LVP, fully utilizing the cell.

Zappaman
Zappaman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/01/2018 - 23:27
Posts: 791
Location: Kansas

Ya, I ran mine for hours off and on to see how low it would go. I made it to 2.78V and the light wouldn’t stay on for more than 15 seconds at that point. I WAS impressed with how it dropped voltage around 3V and ran a LONG time on low. It took hours of off-on clicking to get it down to 3.78V where it shut down consistently.

ZappaMan

river345
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 03:07
Posts: 177
Zappaman wrote:
Ya, I ran mine for hours off and on to see how low it would go. I made it to 2.78V and the light wouldn’t stay on for more than 15 seconds at that point. I WAS impressed with how it dropped voltage around 3V and ran a LONG time on low. It took hours of off-on clicking to get it down to 3.78V where it shut down consistently.

Thanks for confirming the LVP.

Zappaman
Zappaman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/01/2018 - 23:27
Posts: 791
Location: Kansas

YUP! Thumbs Up

ZappaMan