Tesla's new 4680 - We're gonna need a bigger flashlight

93 posts / 0 new
Last post
nmbusa
nmbusa's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 05/05/2016 - 01:30
Posts: 44
Location: Greece

nice explanation of the copper tabless anode with the dunny roll though I was curious why the copper looks like that folded on its self

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6817
Location: Ślōnsk

Tesla won’t be the only 4680 manufacturer. They contracted Panasonic to build them as well:
https://electrek.co/2020/12/27/tesla-tsla-4680-battery-cell-produced-pan...
And LG hints at making them as well:
https://electrek.co/2020/10/21/tesla-battery-supplier-lg-chem-prepares-t...

Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 1227
Location: United Kingdom

Does that mean we’ll have access to them?

manithree
manithree's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 01:08
Posts: 589
Location: Orem, UT, USA
Th558 wrote:
Does that mean we’ll have access to them?

Quote:
Prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future.

- Neils Bohr
MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1662
Location: Finland

In future we will be scavenging cells from an old Tesla’s. Kinda cool, huh.

Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 1227
Location: United Kingdom

I did some calculations…

2× 4860 @ 165A each = 130K Lumens (18 XHP70.2)

2× 4860 @ 165A each = 151K Lumens (26 XHP70.2)

Now imagine 6 of these beasts!

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 3100
Location: Sweden

Th558 wrote:
I did some calculations…

2× 4860 @ 165A each = 130K Lumens (18 XHP70.2)

2× 4860 @ 165A each = 151K Lumens (26 XHP70.2)

Now imagine 6 of these beasts!

165 Amps ? my god.. a nuclear reactor pulls less. Shocked

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

              つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1662
Location: Finland

We will need wheels instead of carrying handles soon.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15727
Location: nyc
MoreLumens wrote:
We will need wheels instead of carrying handles soon.

Nah. Bore out a Q8 to get rid of the cloverleaf cutout inside and leave just a 49mm or so circle, and it’d drop right in.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

thijsco19
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 1384
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Just saw this video from these new cells.

And a video from Tesla Daily about that video:

manithree
manithree's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 01:08
Posts: 589
Location: Orem, UT, USA
Lightbringer wrote:
Nah. Bore out a Q8 to get rid of the cloverleaf cutout inside and leave just a 49mm or so circle, and it’d drop right in.

You gonna tighten it down hard enough to stretch the battery tube 15mm? Your muskles are bigger than mine.

CR888
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/13/2021 - 08:31
Posts: 335
Location: Australia

Soda can lights with 150k+ lumens are perhaps within reach with Elons new cells. My 10-20k lumen lights get slightly warm fast, 150k would be akin to holding molden lava?

CR888

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15727
Location: nyc
manithree wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Nah. Bore out a Q8 to get rid of the cloverleaf cutout inside and leave just a 49mm or so circle, and it’d drop right in.

You gonna tighten it down hard enough to stretch the battery tube 15mm? Your muskles are bigger than mine.

The Q8 has those big honkin’ springs for the individual 18650s, to make sure even different-length cells are firmly smooshed up against the top ring.

Ditch the springs and that insert as well, a small group of nubbins right on the end-cap to make contact with the negative end of the cell is all that’s needed.

Hell, a sprinkling of a few belleville washers, a crimped/bumpy/crunkled thin sheet of Cu, anything shallow but that makes good electrical contact, is all that’s needed.

At least it’s a start. Any mfr could make a variant of the tube to fit one of those donks, bored out and marginally longer if needed.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15727
Location: nyc

Was gonna add, the SD05 SD01 also takes 4×18650 and has a 1-piece body, no end-cap! So the cloverleaf board is pretty much dropped down the hole and pressed into place. Same dealy, but no worries about another cap and another set of threads. Might even be thicker stock that can afford to be milled down a few more mm.

Academic, though, as no one seems to actually have one of those cells to measure exact length.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

peg matite
peg matite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 01/02/2019 - 17:47
Posts: 421
Location: EOK

SD05 takes 4 cells? Which SD05?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15727
Location: nyc

Dee-oh!

SD01.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 1227
Location: United Kingdom

CR888 wrote:
Soda can lights with 150k+ lumens are perhaps within reach with Elons new cells. My 10-20k lumen lights get slightly warm fast, 150k would be akin to holding molden lava?

There’s no way a soda can light with one of these cells will do 150K Lumens. My guess would be 40-50K but could be more. Depends on the performance of the cell really.
Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 841
Location: Mars

Just found this thread! I’ve been wondering ever since I heard of the 4680 if/when we’d see it in a flashlight

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 841
Location: Mars

Th558 wrote:
I did some calculations…

2× 4860 @ 165A each = 130K Lumens (18 XHP70.2)

2× 4860 @ 165A each = 151K Lumens (26 XHP70.2)

Now imagine 6 of these beasts!


Man I was thinking all last night about a 150,000 lumen soda can light. Haha
Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 1227
Location: United Kingdom

Photon Master wrote:
Th558 wrote:
I did some calculations…

2× 4860 @ 165A each = 130K Lumens (18 XHP70.2)

2× 4860 @ 165A each = 151K Lumens (26 XHP70.2)

Now imagine 6 of these beasts!


Man I was thinking all last night about a 150,000 lumen soda can light. Haha

Haha that’d be amazing. Imagine just lighting up the whole street in front of someone for a second leaving them extremely confused. 50K Lumens from 18x XHP70.2 would require about 120A. I’d be pretty happy with that in a soda can light. They said it has 6x more performance but compared to which 21700 cell? I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 841
Location: Mars

Th558 wrote:
Photon Master wrote:
Th558 wrote:
I did some calculations…

2× 4860 @ 165A each = 130K Lumens (18 XHP70.2)

2× 4860 @ 165A each = 151K Lumens (26 XHP70.2)

Now imagine 6 of these beasts!


Man I was thinking all last night about a 150,000 lumen soda can light. Haha

Haha that’d be amazing. Imagine just lighting up the whole street in front of someone for a second leaving them extremely confused. 50K Lumens from 18x XHP70.2 would require about 120A. I’d be pretty happy with that in a soda can light. They said it has 6x more performance but compared to which 21700 cell? I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Ya I have a couple 6500K’s that are on the 10k to 14k range and they put out an amazing amount of light. My imalent MS18 puts out 100k briefly and it’s almost frightening to behold

snakebite
snakebite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/20/2013 - 20:21
Posts: 2057
Location: dayton oh

if these see duty in ESS applications(powerwall) we may get a higher capacity lower drain variant.
such a cell will still be overkill for most any flashlight we could concoct current wise but with huge capacity.

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 1959
Agro wrote:
Tesla won’t be the only 4680 manufacturer. They contracted Panasonic to build them as well: https://electrek.co/2020/12/27/tesla-tsla-4680-battery-cell-produced-pan... And LG hints at making them as well: https://electrek.co/2020/10/21/tesla-battery-supplier-lg-chem-prepares-t...

Isn’t this why they built the Giga Factory? So they can eliminate the middle man?

manithree
manithree's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 01:08
Posts: 589
Location: Orem, UT, USA
snakebite wrote:
if these see duty in ESS applications(powerwall) we may get a higher capacity lower drain variant. such a cell will still be overkill for most any flashlight we could concoct current wise but with huge capacity.

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 841
Location: Mars

I heard Musk is build a Terafactory that builds Gigafactories (:

kramer5150
kramer5150's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/19/2010 - 13:43
Posts: 2331
Location: Palo Alto CA
zoulas wrote:
Agro wrote:
Tesla won’t be the only 4680 manufacturer. They contracted Panasonic to build them as well: https://electrek.co/2020/12/27/tesla-tsla-4680-battery-cell-produced-pan... And LG hints at making them as well: https://electrek.co/2020/10/21/tesla-battery-supplier-lg-chem-prepares-t...

Isn’t this why they built the Giga Factory? So they can eliminate the middle man?

More like supply chain second source… alternate / backup.
Cool… I didn’t know they make prototype batteries in Fremont.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6817
Location: Ślōnsk
Elon Musk wrote:
The reason Tesla is doing its own cell production is in order to accelerate the growth. It is not to make less use of our cell suppliers. In fact, I want to be really clear Tesla wants to increase purchases from cell suppliers. And we’ve been very clear with our cell suppliers, whether it be CATL or Panasonic or LG, that we will take as many batteries as they can produce, so — and we urge them to increase their production and we will buy as much as they can send to us.
Helios azimuth
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2019 - 22:23
Posts: 348
Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains

From tesmanian.com, first 4680 unveiled:

CBAK Energy Technology, through its BAK Power division, announced that from 2023 it will also produce 25Ah/1kW peak power density 4680 cylindrical cells on a large scale, initially completing their development and receiving samples by the end of 2021. At the recently held CIBF 2021 exhibition, BAK Power officially unveiled the first domestic 4680 cylindrical battery.

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 841
Location: Mars

Wow! So like 250 amps???

Looks like it’s time to build my laser rifle

Found a link to the article: https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/cbak-energy-technology-wa...

Rdubya18
Rdubya18's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 18:42
Posts: 554
Location: Ohio

Out of curiosity, I measured a Q8 tube . Just too small to work . Not by much though .

Pages