New Fireflylite T9R STB90.2 / Osram 1x21700 Thrower Preview

141 posts / 0 new
Last post
NotSoBright
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 11/15/2019 - 17:17
Posts: 33
Location: Texas

It’s now showing to be in stock, 3 different emitter options with 3 different prices.

Kona G
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 131
Location: CA Beach

^ Guess we’re the only two that has noticed lol

I have never purchased from FF due to mixed reviews

I’ll wait to see how T9R pans out..

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4335
Location: US
Kona G wrote:
How is FF build quality.. Not just cosmetics, do they use sufficient amount copper to heat sink properly?

In terms of sufficient copper and heat sinking, FF is second to no one. IIRC the E07 was the first light to utilize a super thick 8mm shelf for the MCPCB and used a large very thick copper mcpcb. I hope the E12R will follow the same tradition.

0oklight
0oklight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 12/20/2019 - 18:51
Posts: 154
Location: London, UK

I have FF ROT66 and 2x PL47’s and build quality is very good in my opinion. No issues with daily operations either and I use the PL47 every night for 8 hours (SST20 2700K nightlight).

Kona G
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 131
Location: CA Beach

PL47 2nd gen is interesting light. Is newer UI easier to navigate than previous version?

0oklight
0oklight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 12/20/2019 - 18:51
Posts: 154
Location: London, UK

Kona G wrote:
PL47 2nd gen is interesting light. Is newer UI easier to navigate than previous version?

Not sure about previous UI. GenII has Anduril 1.
ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 2792
Location: CT, USA

Ive become very interested in this light due to the offering of the CULPM1, the price for that version being IMO good, and the new info a BLF’er here has given me about the quality of the buck driver. This seems like a good purchase and may take precedence over me getting the K1 i’ve had my eyes on for months now.

My Concern- i don’t own a FF light, i have wanted an E07 and E01 for awhile, think their style/aesthetic are nice, sounds liek their performance is very good, but i have read so many mixed reviews about quality, issues, and most importantly customer service.

Anyone have some guidance here? should I order from FF direct? from a dealer? (i know T9R is a preorder at the moment) I feel like i should wait a couple months and see what early adopters say about this new thrower.

Any thoughts from the FF supporters out there? I know i completely stand behind Hank’s light and recommend them to anyone who is asking for a quality new light. is that the same mindset here?

Thanks in advance.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 3640
Location: US

Since FireFlies is not as popular as Emisar you will mostly only ever hear from squeaky wheels.

If you are unable to do any modding/fixes and are patient you should wait for the first batch of lights to get into experienced members hands and decide if you can live with any issues that may pop up. This is the same as being an early adopter for ANY product. There are a lot of new variables here. New LEDs, new PCB’s, new charger, new host, new driver.

Regular customer service issues with FF are slow like most Chinese companies but I think most people have a resolution of some kind (albeit maybe a compromise for both people).

I think order from FF direct. Historically they haven’t had any big dealers with outstanding customer service so unless some company like Illumn picks up these lights I would assume you are going to not get any better CS.

Miguel_79
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 04/21/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 318
Location: Spain

We need a coupon code for this beauty.

warzi1975
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2015 - 05:30
Posts: 175
Location: Munich, Bavaria

I’ve got a coupon from FF-light directly. I bought a T9R with Osram nm1 for 65 Euros.I hope it is nice as my other 7 Fireflies lights.I took the desert yellow one.

Robert

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4335
Location: US

Artiet59 wrote:

My Concern- i don’t own a FF light, i have wanted an E07 and E01 for awhile, think their style/aesthetic are nice, sounds liek their performance is very good, but i have read so many mixed reviews about quality, issues, and most importantly customer service.

I bought almost 2 dozen FF lights in the past years. Generally the quality is good especially considering it was their first generation. I had one light with driver issue which FF sent a replacement and another light with one dead aux light. This is one of the reasons why FF decided to make an expensive new premium driver that is not typical for budget lights. I also asked them to make sure to check the aux lights are working fine before shipping.

FF may take a while to respond because they are a small company and Jack likely doesn’t go online often. Sometimes it takes weeks and once even months when they were known as Enogear but he will eventually respond and fix the problem for you. He even sent me a freebie once or twice for waiting a long time.

With the experience gained and lessons learned from their previous lights, FF knows exactly where to improve, and I believe the new lights will be much higher quality. One thing I appreciate about FF compared to the typical flashlight manufacturers is that they actually have a passion for flashlights and always pushing boundaries, not only with lumens and candelas but also with tint, UI, and efficiency that other manufacturers don’t care about because the average customers don’t pay attention or understand the importance of these specs when they purchase flashlights.

I have a bunch of new FF lights ordered and will post some test results as usual.

Miguel_79
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 04/21/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 318
Location: Spain

Between the Osram W1 and W2, what do you recommend?

warzi1975
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 08/16/2015 - 05:30
Posts: 175
Location: Munich, Bavaria

I also can say, Jack helped me in all cases and once I got a faulty mcpcb with two LEDs dead, Jack send me a New one for free instantly. All the bad news from FF-light I’ve heard are not compatible with my experiences.

Robert

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4335
Location: US
Miguel_79 wrote:
Between the Osram W1 and W2, what do you recommend?

It’s really personal preference and we don’t have real data of their performance under this new reflector. Personally, I prefer the W1.1 since FF told me they searched hard and was able to procure the very hard to find 6Q flux bin for the already rare CULNM1.tg, which is the W1.1 not the standard W1 other manufacturers are using. This is the highest I’ve ever seen on the market. It is listed as the 2nd highest bin but as with most LEDs, the highest bin listed is a paper spec only and don’t actually exist.

I don’t know what flux bin their CULPM1.tg (W2.1) is but I prefer W1.1 over W2.1. If I want high output thrower, there is the SBT90.2 version that should have similar throw to the W2.1 but several times the output. Also IIRC FF was able to find the SB flux bin for the SBT90.2, which is higher than the RB and SA bin that I’ve seen sold on the market. The SB is the highest “available” on the market and I only seen it used in the Noctigon K1.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 14623
Location: LI NY

These new OSRAM's do have names and they are really easy to use and remember:

4040 Part #     Name       size

CULNM1.tg   Boost HL   1 mm²

CULPM1.tg   Boost HX   2 mm²

680 kcd on the Boost HL is a really good # compared to what should be a bigger reflector in the K1, rated at 650 kcd on the Boost HL. So between the possible better binning and maybe more amps (??). But these are all specs, not independently tested.

This T9R has a 64 mm head diam while the K1 has a 72 mm head diam.

Kona G
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 131
Location: CA Beach

Warzi, how much discount did you receive?

I will eventually order W1.1 and may get the USB-C 4800mah 10a rechargeable will work well with Osram, also making it vehicle friendly

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 3640
Location: US

I’m surprised FF went the total opposite direction on tube length. If this light supports 76.5mm batteries I would be surprised if it makes good electrical contact with a high drain low resistance flat top which would be bad for 90.2 version especially.

What makes a USB-C protected battery vehicle friendly if the light already has USB-C? It provides no protection for a battery just sitting in storage that i’m aware of.

Kona G
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 131
Location: CA Beach

Sorry for confusion what I meant by vehicle friendly is it’s chargeable on the go via car port

.. then again can always carry extra batts and a charger along on trips

Edit: Contractor I see what you’re saying, Samsuck 21700-40T is even shorter than-50E @ 70.30mm.. Loose cells no good. Maybe the 6mm taller USB Batt is pushing hard on the springs?

BOMBAY
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 04/24/2016 - 10:07
Posts: 239
Location: Polska

ff has a history of too tight and dented cells (pl47v1)

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4335
Location: US
BOMBAY wrote:
ff has a history of too tight and dented cells (pl47v1)

The original lights were designed to be as compact as possible and had issues with longer cells. For me the biggest issue I had with the BeCu springs is that they did not have good resilience (recovery) and if forced too tight, they no longer push as hard and as a result I measured lower output. This is why they completely redesigned the springs for these new lights. Said it will perform much better both electrically and mechanically. It should also have more room for longer cells.

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 2792
Location: CT, USA

contactcr wrote:
Since FireFlies is not as popular as Emisar you will mostly only ever hear from squeaky wheels.

If you are unable to do any modding/fixes and are patient you should wait for the first batch of lights to get into experienced members hands and decide if you can live with any issues that may pop up. This is the same as being an early adopter for ANY product. There are a lot of new variables here. New LEDs, new PCB’s, new charger, new host, new driver.

Regular customer service issues with FF are slow like most Chinese companies but I think most people have a resolution of some kind (albeit maybe a compromise for both people).

I think order from FF direct. Historically they haven’t had any big dealers with outstanding customer service so unless some company like Illumn picks up these lights I would assume you are going to not get any better CS.


Thank you very much for this info, it’s very helpful.

And thank you SKV89, as I understand what you mean about this round of lights being more refined. That instill some confidence, so does all of the positive things about the owner you have mentioned, thank you!

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

0oklight
0oklight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 12/20/2019 - 18:51
Posts: 154
Location: London, UK
SKV89 wrote:
FF told me they searched hard and was able to procure the very hard to find 6Q flux bin for the already rare CULNM1.tg, which is the W1.1 not the standard W1 other manufacturers are using. This is the highest I’ve ever seen on the market. It is listed as the 2nd highest bin but as with most LEDs, the highest bin listed is a paper spec only and don’t actually exit

This is good insight, thanks SKV89. I went ahead and ordered the CULNM1.TG version in ‘Desert Yellow’ and am looking forward to seeing how it performs. I see FF put up a new video on YT a couple of days ago, demonstrating this version. I bought the K1 when Hank was still using the CSLNM1.TG Sad

Also precured a good number of CULNM1.TG emitters from AE and one has already been put in an FW1A, but still have work to do to adjust the gasket thickness. I doubt it will stay in the light for long since it’s not too good at handling the heat.

News of FF sourcing this high bin has raised the question of the bin rating of the AE ones.I am not to optimistic about that.

Miguel_79
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 04/21/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 318
Location: Spain

Those of you who have ordered the flashlight. Did they send it yet? How long did it take to send it?

Kona G
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 131
Location: CA Beach

Miguel, I tried to contact FF via their contact page. It is not functioning.. Wanted to ask same question, how long before the new lights are available?

Mark M
Mark M's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 06/28/2018 - 04:55
Posts: 492

From an email they sent.


T9R : around 20th December (for all versions)

E12R :
——First 40pcs E12R nichia (Around 20th December) ,6500Lms , CRI98, Highest CRI98 rosy color
—- SST20 6500K / 5000K (Around 25th) , Max 9800 Lumens , Tint is a bit green on Low modes
——XPL2 HD CW 6500K version (Around 25th December) , Note: XPL2 HD is very cool white and tint is a bit bluish on Turbo
—-Sumsung LH351D W2 CRI80 5700K (Around 25th December) , Brightness 1000 Lumens , CRI80
—-Sumsung LH351D CRI90 4000K (Around 25th December) , Brightness 7800 Lumens , CRI90

NOV-MU
—-Nichia E21A SM455 4500K R9080 CRI99 5200Lumens (Around 20th)
—-Nicha E21A Sm2050 2000K R9050 CRI95 (after Xmas) , 3800 Lumens, This emitter has very rosy tint, but emitter supply from Japan has some delay.

jandd
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/24/2015 - 03:16
Posts: 15
Location: Netherland

Mark M wrote:
From an email they sent.


T9R : around 20th December (for all versions)

E12R :
——First 40pcs E12R nichia (Around 20th December) ,6500Lms , CRI98, Highest CRI98 rosy color
—- SST20 6500K / 5000K (Around 25th) , Max 9800 Lumens , Tint is a bit green on Low modes
——XPL2 HD CW 6500K version (Around 25th December) , Note: XPL2 HD is very cool white and tint is a bit bluish on Turbo
—-Sumsung LH351D W2 CRI80 5700K (Around 25th December) , Brightness 1000 Lumens , CRI80
—-Sumsung LH351D CRI90 4000K (Around 25th December) , Brightness 7800 Lumens , CRI90

NOV-MU
—-Nichia E21A SM455 4500K R9080 CRI99 5200Lumens (Around 20th)
—-Nicha E21A Sm2050 2000K R9050 CRI95 (after Xmas) , 3800 Lumens, This emitter has very rosy tint, but emitter supply from Japan has some delay.

The E12R with Samsung LH351D w2 CRI80 is only 1000 lumen?

Mark M
Mark M's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 06/28/2018 - 04:55
Posts: 492

jandd wrote:
Mark M wrote:
From an email they sent.


T9R : around 20th December (for all versions)

E12R :
——First 40pcs E12R nichia (Around 20th December) ,6500Lms , CRI98, Highest CRI98 rosy color
—- SST20 6500K / 5000K (Around 25th) , Max 9800 Lumens , Tint is a bit green on Low modes
——XPL2 HD CW 6500K version (Around 25th December) , Note: XPL2 HD is very cool white and tint is a bit bluish on Turbo
—-Sumsung LH351D W2 CRI80 5700K (Around 25th December) , Brightness 1000 Lumens , CRI80
—-Sumsung LH351D CRI90 4000K (Around 25th December) , Brightness 7800 Lumens , CRI90

NOV-MU
—-Nichia E21A SM455 4500K R9080 CRI99 5200Lumens (Around 20th)
—-Nicha E21A Sm2050 2000K R9050 CRI95 (after Xmas) , 3800 Lumens, This emitter has very rosy tint, but emitter supply from Japan has some delay.

The E12R with Samsung LH351D w2 CRI80 is only 1000 lumen?

I took it as 10,000 lumens, with high quality “Sumsung” LEDs. I am just joking, I certainly can’t speak two languages so what do I know of phonetics and honestly Jack can write English better than I can usually. I am thrilled with the new models and can’t wait to test them all out, I have a few of each model coming since they are a combination of high CRI, awesome bins, and USB-C, an award winning combination in my mind.

Kona G
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 131
Location: CA Beach

LH351D 5700k anybody have experience with.., is tint more or less greenish on lower levels like 4000k?

Jack is more than likely educated at Harvard

LumenMax
LumenMax's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 08/21/2018 - 10:50
Posts: 376
Location: NY

0oklight wrote:
Kona G wrote:
PL47 2nd gen is interesting light. Is newer UI easier to navigate than previous version?
Not sure about previous UI. GenII has Anduril 1.

 

From Jack: Firefies pogo programmer key will be available soon, This pogo key is compatible with USBASP, and only supports to reflash drivers on new fireflies flashlights. It supports common USBASP and 10-Pin cable.

 

 

Mark M
Mark M's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 06/28/2018 - 04:55
Posts: 492
BOMBAY wrote:
ff has a history of too tight and dented cells (pl47v1)

Hank has had issues with this as well, and more recently. I have a D4V2 with E21A emitters that can crush almost any size 18650 unprotected cell because he used a brass button in combination with a spring on the positive battery terminal. I am not sure how many were sent out that way, but Hank has tons of experience and sometimes mistakes just happen. At least with Hank or Jack if you have an issue they will either repair it or offer/sell you parts to fix it yourself. Some companies like Astrolux won’t sell you individual parts like drivers or honor any warranty, leaving it up to you to source parts or throw it in the trash, and that is unacceptable. Jack has always helped me buy replacement parts, and his customer service always has been reasonable.

Pages