Charge laptop battery

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
PsySc0rpi0n
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 07/13/2019 - 07:42
Posts: 29
Location: Europe
Charge laptop battery

Hello.

I know this is a forum to discuss mostly flash light related subjects, but as batteries are intrinsically related to devices, whatever those devices are, I come here to ask for some advises.
I have a Clevo P170EM laptop and it uses an li-ion battery pack moel P150HMBAT-8 (6-87-X710S-4273). The first battery of my laptop is long dead, so I bought a new one on alibaba/aliexpress site. I paid a bit over 50€ for it, so I think it’s original battery. Hope I’m not wrong.

I have the battery for like 2 or 3 months and at this moment. When I charge the battery, my laptop kind of stops the charge indicator at 59%. The battery is usually connected to the laptop and I usually don’t power off my laptop to charge the battery, so it’s charging an at the same time that I’m using the laptop. Not sure if when the power cable is connected, if the battery is charging and discharging at the same time or if when the power cable is connected, the battery isn’t used at all.

My question is if it is possible to charge the battery with an external power supply to see if it can charge above 59% or not. I have 2x Korad KA3005P (30V*5A = 150W) power supplies each and battery characteristics are 14.8V, 5200mAh and 76.96Wh.

I know that, even if it’s possible to charge the battery with these external porwer supplies, I won’t have an indicator of how much charge the battery have at a given point, but I think I can time control it.
What you peeps, can tell me about this??

Power supplies link
https://sra-solder.com/korad-ka3005p-programmable-precision-variable-adj...

Battery Link
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/32810214428.html

Sirstinky
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 17:07
Posts: 1437
Location: Vancouver, WA

You’d have to figure out the pin outs for the +/- terminals for charging, figure out how to connect the battery, and the charge current/voltage. The battery has a built in BMS and charging circuit with protection, but you can potentially end up applying too much current and toast the BMS side (I’ve done that before-BMS is not foolproof). It’s also possible you got a faulty battery as well. I checked and it looks like you bought a non-genuine battery. I don’t trust 3rd party laptop batteries since they can put in substandard or no-name generic batteries in them that work for a while then have 1 or 2 start to fail and it ruins the whole battery.

If it has a warranty, I’d go that route and see if you can get a replacement or a refund to get one somewhere else.

PsySc0rpi0n
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 07/13/2019 - 07:42
Posts: 29
Location: Europe

Sirstinky wrote:
You’d have to figure out the pin outs for the +/- terminals for charging, figure out how to connect the battery, and the charge current/voltage. The battery has a built in BMS and charging circuit with protection, but you can potentially end up applying too much current and toast the BMS side (I’ve done that before-BMS is not foolproof). It’s also possible you got a faulty battery as well. I checked and it looks like you bought a non-genuine battery. I don’t trust 3rd party laptop batteries since they can put in substandard or no-name generic batteries in them that work for a while then have 1 or 2 start to fail and it ruins the whole battery.

If it has a warranty, I’d go that route and see if you can get a replacement or a refund to get one somewhere else.

What you mean 3rd party battery? The original battery has the same part number and out of alibaba/aliexpress, prices are more or less the same.

About charging the battery with external power supply, what could go wrong if we respect the input values stated on the battery label? And I know that the battery has a 3 terminal fuse that protects it. I know because I opened the old (original) battery.

About pinout, it is already marked in the battery case. I can see the Vcc and Groun pins. The other 2 are 2-wire comm, like SDA and SDL or some other protocol (SMBUS or something like that).

Sirstinky
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 17:07
Posts: 1437
Location: Vancouver, WA

I said looks like. I dont know what the original battery looks like since I’m not familiar with that brand of laptop, but if you compare the original battery and the one you got from AE, there will probably be some differences.

If you’re confident in connecting the terminals to your PSU, give it a try. If the battery voltage is 14.8, tru charging at 14.9 and set the current limit to maybe 2A or so to start and see how it goes.

PsySc0rpi0n
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 07/13/2019 - 07:42
Posts: 29
Location: Europe

Sirstinky wrote:
I said looks like. I dont know what the original battery looks like since I’m not familiar with that brand of laptop, but if you compare the original battery and the one you got from AE, there will probably be some differences.

If you’re confident in connecting the terminals to your PSU, give it a try. If the battery voltage is 14.8, tru charging at 14.9 and set the current limit to maybe 2A or so to start and see how it goes.

Ok. I also have a scope. I can try to monitor how things go, if possible.
Anyways, I have a few questions.

My battery has 7 pins. There are 2 marked as + an -, which are the two at the right and left most sides. The other pins in between, I’m not sure what they are but if I measure them all, with respect to the – pin, there are 2 measuring 15.2V (scope) and the other 4 measuring ~0V (400mV to be more precise). The 7th is the – itself.

so:
1………2…..3…4…5…6…7
+………?…..?…?…?…?…-
15.2…15.2…0…0…0…0…-

Can you understand this?

So, where should I connect the external PSU? the positive lead to pin 1 and negative lead to pin 7?

snakebite
snakebite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/20/2013 - 20:21
Posts: 2066
Location: dayton oh

go into the bios and see if any advanced charging options are enabled.
some machines let you restrict charge level for units that sit plugged in all the time.
its also possible the battery “gas gauge” is out of calibration.
best way to reset it is to go into bios and let it sit there till it dies.
that way it wont go to sleep.
then fully recharge.

PsySc0rpi0n
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 07/13/2019 - 07:42
Posts: 29
Location: Europe
snakebite wrote:
go into the bios and see if any advanced charging options are enabled. some machines let you restrict charge level for units that sit plugged in all the time. its also possible the battery “gas gauge” is out of calibration. best way to reset it is to go into bios and let it sit there till it dies. that way it wont go to sleep. then fully recharge.

No, there are no such settings. Even if there were, it could not be the case, because this happened only once.
At this moment, the battery is at 100% again.

But the charging process is done on the same pins as Vcc and GND pins? I mean, I have 7 pins, and I don’t know if charging is done on those same + and – pins.

PsySc0rpi0n
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 07/13/2019 - 07:42
Posts: 29
Location: Europe

Up…

But the charging process is done on the same pins as Vcc and GND pins? I mean, I have 7 pins, and I don’t know if charging is done on those same + and – pins.