18650 protected button tops

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto
18650 protected button tops

what are some good lights that use these batteries?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 32 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12892
Location: nyc

Wellp, most good lights have LVP, so don’t need protected cells, so…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto
Lightbringer wrote:
Wellp, most good lights have LVP, so don’t need protected cells, so…

well theres gotta be some lights that can use them…

nobody
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 04:58
Posts: 351
Location: In the dark

niajef wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Wellp, most good lights have LVP, so don't need protected cells, so...
well theres gotta be some lights that can use them...
I have been using the pair I have in my BLF A6 and they work fine. 
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 32 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12892
Location: nyc

Any low-stress light probably can.

If the protection kicks in at, say, 5A, but the light draws 8A on turbo, well, you know…

Otherwise any light like a S2+ could use ‘em fine, especially with, say, the 2.8A driver.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto

im not asking for lights that can take advantage of the protection, just lights that can fit them physically…

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 32 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12892
Location: nyc

Most, then. Also depends on the nekkid cell itself. “65mm” seems more of a guideline than a guarantee.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto

well button top protected is definitely closer to 70mm than 65mm, thats why im afraid theres not enough room, i dont wanna compress the springs too much

jch10400
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 07/28/2016 - 06:38
Posts: 244
Location: California

Seems to me any of the Wowtac lights that come with the battery that has built in USB charging (micro USB on the battery, not on the light) are set up to handle longer batteries. I tried a flat top in my Wowtac headlamp and it didn’t make solid contact with the springs.

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto
jch10400 wrote:
Seems to me any of the Wowtac lights that come with the battery that has built in USB charging (micro USB on the battery, not on the light) are set up to handle longer batteries. I tried a flat top in my Wowtac headlamp and it didn’t make solid contact with the springs.

oooh thats interesting, do u know if wowtac is part of thrunite? i see on amazon.ca, the a4v2 is sold by thrunite store

jch10400
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 07/28/2016 - 06:38
Posts: 244
Location: California

Don’t know about thrunite, but I just measured one of the wowtac usb rechargeable 18650’s and it’s between 70 and 71 mm using a ruler.

Serlite
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2018 - 16:14
Posts: 392
niajef wrote:
jch10400 wrote:
Seems to me any of the Wowtac lights that come with the battery that has built in USB charging (micro USB on the battery, not on the light) are set up to handle longer batteries. I tried a flat top in my Wowtac headlamp and it didn’t make solid contact with the springs.

oooh thats interesting, do u know if wowtac is part of thrunite? i see on amazon.ca, the a4v2 is sold by thrunite store

Wowtac is basically the budget brand of Thrunite – they proudly advertise that Thrunite provides technical support.
You can see a lot of parallels between Wowtac lights and their Thrunite counterparts, as well as where they omitted certain features to target the budget price point.

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto
Serlite wrote:
niajef wrote:
jch10400 wrote:
Seems to me any of the Wowtac lights that come with the battery that has built in USB charging (micro USB on the battery, not on the light) are set up to handle longer batteries. I tried a flat top in my Wowtac headlamp and it didn’t make solid contact with the springs.

oooh thats interesting, do u know if wowtac is part of thrunite? i see on amazon.ca, the a4v2 is sold by thrunite store

Wowtac is basically the budget brand of Thrunite – they proudly advertise that Thrunite provides technical support.
You can see a lot of parallels between Wowtac lights and their Thrunite counterparts, as well as where they omitted certain features to target the budget price point.

hm that makes a lot of sense. i always thought a4v2 looks a lot like the v6

Helo
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 01/27/2020 - 07:08
Posts: 29
Location: Canada eh!

Personally, I really dislike protected cells and just remove the protection circuit from any I come across. The last light I bought came with a protected 26650 that would not work in my SkyRC MC3000; the negative end of the cell was recessed and wouldn’t make contact. Just attempting to get that long beast in the charger was a chore. A little slice-n-dice yielded a 26650 just as nature intended.

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto

ya maybe i will. im just worried that ill fuck it up

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2842
Location: Sweden
niajef wrote:
im not asking for lights that can take advantage of the protection, just lights that can fit them physically…

hard to say but many small lights that need high drain batteries cant take protected cause its too long and u dont want protected anyways in high lumens lights…

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

              つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto
mortuus wrote:
niajef wrote:
im not asking for lights that can take advantage of the protection, just lights that can fit them physically…

hard to say but many small lights that need high drain batteries cant take protected cause its too long and u dont want protected anyways in high lumens lights…

yes i realize that, im asking because i already have protected button top batteries, im wondering what i can use them for LOL

xxo
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 03/22/2019 - 14:35
Posts: 170
niajef wrote:
] yes i realize that, im asking because i already have protected button top batteries, im wondering what i can use them for LOL

You can use them in C/D cell Maglites if you have any.

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto
xxo wrote:
niajef wrote:
] yes i realize that, im asking because i already have protected button top batteries, im wondering what i can use them for LOL

You can use them in C/D cell Maglites if you have any.

i do not lol

zoulas
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 113

Protected batteries are really not recommended for performance lights.

I never heard of buying a light for the battery you have, its always the other way around.

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto

zoulas wrote:
Protected batteries are really not recommended for performance lights.

I never heard of buying a light for the battery you have, its always the other way around.

ya…bought these by accident…shit happens lol

JagerLion
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 21:56
Posts: 5
Location: USA

The longest protected 18650s I have on hand (Keeppower P1835U at just over 70mm) work in my Wurkkos FC11, BLF LT1, and ThruNite TC12 V2. The FC11 is high quality for its price. The LT1 draws low current with 4 batteries installed so might be a good choice for batteries with overly-sensitive protection circuits. The TC12 is certainly larger and probably more expensive than it needs to be, but I do like it.

They will also work in “dual fuel” type Streamlight flashlights like the 2L-X or HL-X. Their own 18650 is protected and on the long side.

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto

JagerLion wrote:
The longest protected 18650s I have on hand (Keeppower P1835U at just over 70mm) work in my Wurkkos FC11, BLF LT1, and ThruNite TC12 V2. The FC11 is high quality for its price. The LT1 draws low current with 4 batteries installed so might be a good choice for batteries with overly-sensitive protection circuits. The TC12 is certainly larger and probably more expensive than it needs to be, but I do like it.

They will also work in “dual fuel” type Streamlight flashlights like the 2L-X or HL-X. Their own 18650 is protected and on the long side.

yes, i think im gonna use them for my LT1 when it comes

TimMc
TimMc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 06/26/2020 - 02:22
Posts: 444
Location: Melbourne, Australia

JETBeam RRT01?

niajef
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2020 - 18:23
Posts: 664
Location: Toronto
TimMc wrote:
JETBeam RRT01?

not available on amazon.ca, sigh