Chargers and who's who @2020

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 1 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2521
Location: Manila, Philippines

prototype3a wrote:
I found a C4-12 v2 and boy is it nice. Looks like they made the slots longer than those on my C8. Decided to let the wife use the C8 for all her AAs and AAAs and I’ll stick with the C4-12 for 18650,21700 and 26650s.

I generally like the auto-current of the MiBoxers as it doesn’t seem to overly-fast-charge cells to the point that they get hot….. and I’m lazy. Smile

Miboxer C8 fits unprotected 21700 (can fit 8× 21700 at the same time).
What I like about the Miboxer C8 is that it auto-balances the charging current.

Although the max charging current is 4× 1.5A (fastest speed allowed), or 8× 0.8A (all slots populated), it appears the total charging current is at around 6.0A or thereabouts — and it auto-balances the charging current when one or more of the batteries is nearing full charge and is already charging at a lower current.

What I mean is, as an example:
- let’s say there are 6 batteries being charged at the same time (all are not near full state, and have not-terribly-high-resistance (which will automatically lower charge current), so all 6 batteries will charge at 1.0A. Now let’s say the 6 batteries are different capacity or different state-of-charge. Now 1 battery is nearing 4.2v, so its charge current will automatically lower (CV stage), let’s say it’s now charging at 0.5A. The other 5 batteries that are charging (not yet near full) will increase to 1.1A (5× 1.1A + 1× 0.5A = 6.0A). The Miboxer C8 auto-balances the total charging current of the batteries.

In many other chargers that are not high-powered, the max charging current depends on the number of batteries inserted in the slots. Even when that slot battery has been charged to full (and not using any charging current), that “extra” charging power usually does not get transferred to the other slots that are still charging.

nick779 wrote:
FWIW I just ordered a backup MiiBoxer C4-12v2 from Aliexpress for $25 (on-sale). Couldn’t pass it up.

I was looking to see if anything interesting was on the horizon, but didn’t come across anything promising with 4×26650 or 4×3A(let alone 2A) capability.

I’m just learning about USB-C PD, It’s going to be pretty awesome if/when that standard is able to replace all barrel jack PSUs.

Miboxer C4-12v2 at $25? Care to point out to the store that carried that price? (the lowest I’ve seen before was around $29).

From what I’ve checked: Miboxer C4-12/v2 accepts 4× 26650 and 4× 3A charging Liitokala Lii-600 also accepts 4× 26650 and 4× 3A charging SkyRC MC3000 also accepts 4× 26650 and 4× 3A charing (actually, MC3000 will fit 2×32650 + 2× 26650) Xtar VP4 Dragon is the widest charger, it can fit 4× 32650 at the same time, although charge rate is 4× 1A when all 4 slots are occupied (Xtar Dragon can charge 2× 2A max)

nick779
nick779's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 15:46
Posts: 453
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

d_t_a wrote:
prototype3a wrote:
I found a C4-12 v2 and boy is it nice. Looks like they made the slots longer than those on my C8. Decided to let the wife use the C8 for all her AAs and AAAs and I’ll stick with the C4-12 for 18650,21700 and 26650s.

I generally like the auto-current of the MiBoxers as it doesn’t seem to overly-fast-charge cells to the point that they get hot….. and I’m lazy. Smile

Miboxer C8 fits unprotected 21700 (can fit 8× 21700 at the same time).
What I like about the Miboxer C8 is that it auto-balances the charging current.

Although the max charging current is 4× 1.5A (fastest speed allowed), or 8× 0.8A (all slots populated), it appears the total charging current is at around 6.0A or thereabouts — and it auto-balances the charging current when one or more of the batteries is nearing full charge and is already charging at a lower current.

What I mean is, as an example:
- let’s say there are 6 batteries being charged at the same time (all are not near full state, and have not-terribly-high-resistance (which will automatically lower charge current), so all 6 batteries will charge at 1.0A. Now let’s say the 6 batteries are different capacity or different state-of-charge. Now 1 battery is nearing 4.2v, so its charge current will automatically lower (CV stage), let’s say it’s now charging at 0.5A. The other 5 batteries that are charging (not yet near full) will increase to 1.1A (5× 1.1A + 1× 0.5A = 6.0A). The Miboxer C8 auto-balances the total charging current of the batteries.

In many other chargers that are not high-powered, the max charging current depends on the number of batteries inserted in the slots. Even when that slot battery has been charged to full (and not using any charging current), that “extra” charging power usually does not get transferred to the other slots that are still charging.

nick779 wrote:
FWIW I just ordered a backup MiiBoxer C4-12v2 from Aliexpress for $25 (on-sale). Couldn’t pass it up.

I was looking to see if anything interesting was on the horizon, but didn’t come across anything promising with 4×26650 or 4×3A(let alone 2A) capability.

I’m just learning about USB-C PD, It’s going to be pretty awesome if/when that standard is able to replace all barrel jack PSUs.

Miboxer C4-12v2 at $25? Care to point out to the store that carried that price? (the lowest I’ve seen before was around $29).

From what I’ve checked: Miboxer C4-12/v2 accepts 4× 26650 and 4× 3A charging Liitokala Lii-600 also accepts 4× 26650 and 4× 3A charging SkyRC MC3000 also accepts 4× 26650 and 4× 3A charing (actually, MC3000 will fit 2×32650 + 2× 26650) Xtar VP4 Dragon is the widest charger, it can fit 4× 32650 at the same time, although charge rate is 4× 1A when all 4 slots are occupied (Xtar Dragon can charge 2× 2A max)

I never considered the auto balance feature of the C8 when I was looking for another charger. That’s a compelling feature especially for something I may use with NIMH.

I bought the C4-12 v2 here It was a flash sale thing.

HKJ didn’t have a review of the LII-600 so I probably never looked at it/knew that it existed.
The SkyRC has had some reviews with weak/fatigued plastic and they seem to be prone to cracking/breaking.
I may have looked at the Dragon, but I wanted at least 4× 1.5A, 4×2A preferred. I don’t fast charge often, but I have a bunch of 26650s that I charge once a week and anything under 1.5A/slot would take too long.

prototype3a
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 12/19/2018 - 20:06
Posts: 347
Location: Christiansburg, VA
d_t_a wrote:
Miboxer C8 fits unprotected 21700 (can fit 8× 21700 at the same time).

True but they are a tighter fit in the C8 than in my new C4-12 which is why I said the slots are EVEN LONGER.

speedlever
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 07/08/2021 - 12:49
Posts: 17
Location: United States

I recently bought both the LittoKala Lii-600 and the VapCell S4+. They both seem to do a good job. Not unexpectedly, the IR measurements each show is considerably different than the other. I have no idea which, if either is accurate.

One UI major difference that I’ve noticed is that the VapCell S4+ will not show the selected charge current once it’s locked in place. But it does show the actual charging current instead, which I like. The Lii-600 shows the locked charge current selected, but I don’t believe it shows the actual charging current. They will both charge at 3A each slot.

While I kinda prefer the visual display on the Lii-600, I prefer the data presentation (actual charging current) the S4+ displays. So far I’ve only used them to charge 18650 and 26650 button top protected cell batteries. At least I think the 26650 batteries are protected. They came with a Wurkkos TS70 flashlight. I have some flat top unprotected 18650 batteries coming (Molicel P26A).

Just some minor observations on my part.

Speaking of charge rates, what’s the current wisdom for best charge current? It used to be 1C… and I used to be really up on this stuff years ago when I was into drones and had a custom charging setup. But I’ve long forgotten everything I once knew after giving my stuff away and probably only know enough to be dangerous right now.

If 1C is good, then my 3000mA batteries should be safe to charge a 3A, right?

Is there a guide handy?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 29 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15500
Location: nyc

If you don’t have to fast-charge something (“I need it now now now now now!”), then don’t. Much easier on the cell in the long term.

Kinda like noon now, appointment at 3 that’s 15min away, and driving like an idiot to get there as fast as possible and then sitting for 2:45 in the parking lot.

Let it slow-cook if possible.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

speedlever
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 07/08/2021 - 12:49
Posts: 17
Location: United States

Lightbringer wrote:
If you don’t have to fast-charge something (“I need it now now now now now!”), then don’t. Much easier on the cell in the long term.

Kinda like noon now, appointment at 3 that’s 15min away, and driving like an idiot to get there as fast as possible and then sitting for 2:45 in the parking lot.

Let it slow-cook if possible.


Ok. Slow cook meaning 500-1000 mA?
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 29 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15500
Location: nyc

Yeh. If I’m in no hurry, I’ll default down to 500mA. NiMH can have issues with a too-low charging rate (ie, won’t sense voltage depression to tell when full), but Li-ion can be slow-charged just fine. Even better, as you’re lowering I²R heating.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

speedlever
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 07/08/2021 - 12:49
Posts: 17
Location: United States

Thanks!

CR888
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 01/13/2021 - 08:31
Posts: 334
Location: Australia

When I was learning about charging and stuff about stuff I would always set my charger on the highest amp setting. Well I bought half a dozen little 1080 cells for my Lumintop GT-Nano and charges these little 80mah cells up @1.5A per cell. Facepalm I still charge all my cells to 4.3volts. If one of my 50+ lights is like 4.05v I’ll recharge the cell/s up to 4.3v. I know I’m kinda ruining my cells but… my disorders are at bay for some reason knowing all my flashes are full to the brim. It’s bad but I can’t stop.

CR888

speedlever
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 07/08/2021 - 12:49
Posts: 17
Location: United States

CR888 wrote:
When I was learning about charging and stuff about stuff I would always set my charger on the highest amp setting. Well I bought half a dozen little 1080 cells for my Lumintop GT-Nano and charges these little 80mah cells up @1.5A per cell. Facepalm I still charge all my cells to 4.3volts. If one of my 50+ lights is like 4.05v I’ll recharge the cell/s up to 4.3v. I know I’m kinda ruining my cells but… my disorders are at bay for some reason knowing all my flashes are full to the brim. It’s bad but I can’t stop.

I’m assuming you mean 800 mAh cells and that you’re charging them at ~2C.
TermsakC
TermsakC's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 06/05/2021 - 22:47
Posts: 211
Location: Singapore

Any well-known brands and models of battery chargers that can charge 26800 cell?

I am interested in getting Astrolux FT03 with the 26800 tube and battery. But I am reluctant to place an order for it now, since I have not found any charger for the 26800 cell.

I am afraid using the FT03 built-in Type C USB to charge the big battery will take several hours to fully charge it.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 1 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2521
Location: Manila, Philippines

TermsakC wrote:
Any well-known brands and models of battery chargers that can charge 26800 cell?

I am interested in getting Astrolux FT03 with the 26800 tube and battery. But I am reluctant to place an order for it now, since I have not found any charger for the 26800 cell.

I am afraid using the FT03 built-in Type C USB to charge the big battery will take several hours to fully charge it.

There are several different models — eg. Olight UC, Folomov A1, Adeaska A10, Nitecore LC10, etc. — but these usually have relatively low max charge current, 0.75-1.0A max.

But aside from these magnetic chargers, I’ve also only noted the Yonii C2000 mentioned above.

I tried checking some chargers, and noted the Nitecore UM4 (and possibly other new UM series) can almost fit 26800 battery, but is just shy of fitting it.

In my test, the flat-top part of the 26800 battery can just barely touch the positive side of the UM4 rail. If I use a flat metal (eg. flat screwdriver) to serve as a short bridge, then the UM4 will detect the 26800 battery..

TermsakC
TermsakC's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 06/05/2021 - 22:47
Posts: 211
Location: Singapore

!

!

Thanks d_t_a for your information.

I have a Nitecore UMS4 charger. It cannot accommodate the big and long 26800 cell.

I am going to try with this TrustFire EC10 magnetic charger. I hope it can charge a 26800 cell.

Pages