[Review] Convoy L21A with Osram KW.CULPM1.TG diode

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Mocarny
Mocarny's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2019 - 04:03
Posts: 351
Location: Poland
[Review] Convoy L21A with Osram KW.CULPM1.TG diode
Convoy L21A with Osram KW.CULPM1.TG diode
 

 3 in 1 review. At the end there will be a summary for those who like only particulars, in each topic I will bold the key sentences for those who read a little more, and a long waffling for everyone else. Enjoy!

Obrazek
 

For VERY large photos: click -> on the photo page right click -> "Open image in new tab"

 

Simon, Convoy owner, was very kind and send me this flashlight for this review. You can buy it in official Convoy store:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001594138171.html?spm=2114.12010612....

 

Table of Contents:

-General parameters
- Package content
- Appearance, parameters
- UI, runtime and charging
- PWM
- Waterproofness
- Light pattern, tint
- Beamshots
- Usage and my experiences
- Summary



General parameters

Material: aluminium alloy

LED: Osram KW CULPM1.TG

Low voltage protection (LVP): Yes (flashlight turns off at 2.8V)

Reverse polarity protection: Yes

Lens type: AR-coated glass lens

Reflector: smooth, SMO

Memory mode: Yes

Tailstand: Yes

Contains a battery: No

Required type and number of batteries: 1x unprotected Li-Ion cell 21700

Driver: 12 groups, maximum output 8000 mA, thermal protection

Length / diameter: 179 mm / 64.5 mm

Weight: 353g flashlight itself, 420g with battery


Package content


The package was standardly packed with the flashlight itself, without any other additives. The box was solid and the flashlight was well protected by foams.
Obrazek

Appearance, parameters



Obrazek


Looks like a thrower. And that's exactly what it is, if any flashlight would deserve to be called a full-blooded thrower, that's the one.

All right, let's start with the front:

- Quite an aggressive tactical bezel, aluminum
Obrazek

- SMO recflector - smooth, long throw
Obrazek

Now take a moment to appreciate how beautiful it is. Perfectly smooth. If I were to compare it to other flashlights, the difference in quality is clearly visible.
Obrazek

- Osram diode KW.CULPM1.TG - not as popular as for example XHP50 - will also reach a smaller audience. As you can see, it is very small, which makes it shine with very focused light (not as concentrated as in flashlights from Chinese Aliexpress offers: "Mega focused good light, gift, fun, shines for 2km, army, children, holidays" and you get some glowing poop - it really is focused here

- Head with significant fins to help dissipate heat
Obrazek

- On the driver's side, instead of the spring, there is a metal pin, which helps in electric contact, on the back side there is a bridged spring - high level.
Obrazek
Obrazek

- The threads are trapezoidal, the one next to the switch is anodized, which allows the flashlight to be locked mechanically by slightly unscrewing the cap at the back.
Obrazek

- Reverse-type switch - lighting up after an audible click, changing modes by pressing lightly. Space for a leash.
Obrazek

The L21A has been in different diode configurations and the host itself is not new, but I've always wanted to review this flashlight and I can tell you that I'm not disappointed with it so far.

UI, runtime and charging


UI
A 12 group mode driver, also known as Biscotti. Each group we can select and use has several modes, so everyone should find something suitable.

Runtime

I tested the High mode, that is 35% brightness - 680lm. In this mode, it was lighting up for 132 minutes, that is more than 2 hours until it was fully extinguished, and as you can see on the graph (a lot of vertical bars) it warned with flashes of low charge of the cell. The flashlight has LVP, which turned off at 2.8V - this is good news for me, I don't like when the flashlight turns off at 3.1V for example
Obrazek

I also tested Turbo, 100% brightness, ~ 1300lm for 10 minutes. It burned lightly in the hands at the end and the temperature in the warmest spot was 50°C.
Assuming that everyone will use 100% power only on the outside, the flashlight should reduce the brightness even more gently.

Obrazek

Charging
The flashlight has no built-in charger. In my opinion it is a plus.

PWM



I have not observed any on the lowest mode

                                                                            Waterproofness


I threw it into my aquarium, it was supposed to be there for 2 hours, but I forgot about it and it lay there less than 5 hours.
Obrazek

After some time, quite a large pile of fish gathered there.
Obrazek

Obrazek

Results? It was shining all the time, and there was not a drop of water inside. The depth wasn't big, but 5 hours under water is a lot - some of the flashlights I tested at a similar price didn't last 10 minutes.

Light pattern, tint



Osram diode KW.CULPM1.TG, light towards cold, brightness max 1390lm in the first flash, after about 5 seconds ~ 1290lm. Cold tint.
Obrazek
Obrazek

As I have already mentioned, it is a flashlight for a narrow audience. And they are:
1. people who collect flashlights
2 People who really need a flashlight which for some reason will light up something that is 400 meters away.

Beamshots

 


ISO200, t2s, f/3.5 sunlight white balance

A picture of how a forest looks 
Obrazek
Obrazek

Flashlights photos:
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek
Obrazek

The enlarged version shows that even the 1% mode with a brightness of 28lm is enough to illuminate a pole 65m away. With 10% power and 235lm you can see a second pole 190m away. Impressive.

Comparison of this thrower with M21C-U, SMO reflector with XHP70.2 diode, i.e. small diode and narrow light vs big diode and wider light
Obrazek
Obrazek
Left player with a brightness of 3500lm will not light up even half as far as his opponent with only 1300lm. As you can see, every flashlight is good for something else and you can't have a 600m throw thrower with a wide beam of light.

Usage and my experiences

 


A short story of my life: Long, long ago, behind the mountains, behind the woods there was me. Even as a little boy, I wanted to have a flashlight, which shines on a kilometer. On the Internet I used to watch films about people shining with big heavy headlights over long distances. I would fall asleep, dreaming about something like that (although it was pointless, because it is a kind of spotlight like from a prison guard). Then I bought myself a zoom from Aliexpress for 4 $. It wasn't as good as they assured from China. Then I started to review the flashlights and found such specimens as Convoy M21C with SST40 diode. It lit further than the zoom. Then I found Mateminco, whose name I don't remember, such a thrower with a big spotlight and SST40. "This is it", I thought. Really, it shone narrowly and far away. But then I found this flashlight - with a smaller spotlight - and completely forgot about this Mateminco whose name I can't remember any more. Now I know that I found my only one.

And besides, it's a nice flashlight, it shines so far and such.



Gallery


Using the foggy aura
Obrazek

Obrazek

Obrazek

Now I'm going to melt this car! Buahahahaha
Obrazek


Obrazek

Summary



The Convoy L21A with Osram diode KW.CULPM1.TG has been designed to fit my tastes perfectly. It will also fit into the tastes of the eternally greedy for throw people. The quality of manufacturing is at the highest level.
Do I recommend it? Definitely yes, for the price ~ 45$ it is worth it.

Pros:
+ General quality of manufacturing
+ Very good throw
+ Waterproof

Cons:
- What?
- What cons?

About host - threads, knurling o-rings and so on
Rating: 10/10 


About light - UI, tint and so on
Rating:9/10



1 - very bad flashlight hurts to look at, terrible quality, not worth any (even very low) price
5 - average flashlight, at a reasonable price - for the average person "great". Or better flashlight, but overpriced
10 - flashlight meets all my expectations in a given category (e.g EDC, headlamp, thrower), it's durable and neatly made, perfect light tint, worth its (even slightly inflated) price - just pure perfect, so I doubt any light can get a 10 from me

I hope you enjoyed!

If you struggle choosing your perfect headlamp, check my headlamp guide, I compared 15 most popular headlamps there: CLICK

Edited by: Mocarny on 12/25/2020 - 06:24
Pilotboy
Pilotboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 23:14
Posts: 211
Location: England

Nice review! I have my L21a osram for two weeks already and I can confirm it is*INSANE!*

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3531
Location: Houston, TX

Excellent review—point on!

Zappaman
Zappaman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 01/01/2018 - 23:27
Posts: 791
Location: Kansas

Super review… this emitter is turning heads lately for throw “junkies” (like me: building a C8+ with it next month)

ZappaMan

desmondkun
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 12/11/2016 - 14:51
Posts: 413
Location: Thailand

Nice review. Nice light.
Still, seems like turbo mode can be too hot within 10 mins. I wonder how Osram cslnm1.tg will perform in Convoy L21a.

Take care of your flashlight and your flashlight will take care of you.

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3030
Location: Netherlands
desmondkun wrote:
Nice review. Nice light. Still, seems like turbo mode can be too hot within 10 mins. I wonder how Osram cslnm1.tg will perform in Convoy L21a.

Excellent, it will throw farther but the beam is like a lightsaber, very small hotspot.
Mine does approx 550 kCd on 5A

Cochise334ever
Cochise334ever's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/24/2020 - 08:13
Posts: 278
Location: Upstate PA/ Germany

Thanks for the review.I bought the torch!

Few questions .

- What battery did you use for testing?

-How many CD’s on Turbo?

-I see after 10 minutes on Turbo the temp.was 50C.Very manageable to me.
,,,,Do you think the thermal step down started or is this just an LED that does not generate a lot of heat?

Thanks…dzien dobry

To admit is to acknowledge.To Accept is to take action.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15486
Location: nyc
Mocarny wrote:
At the end there will be a summary for those who like only particulars, in each topic I will bold the key sentences for those who read a little more, and a long waffling for everyone else.

Ooh, I like waffles…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3030
Location: Netherlands
Lightbringer wrote:
Mocarny wrote:
At the end there will be a summary for those who like only particulars, in each topic I will bold the key sentences for those who read a little more, and a long waffling for everyone else.

Ooh, I like waffles…

With whipped cream, yummie Silly

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 30 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15486
Location: nyc

And I definitely want one of these… Just Because.

Damn, I got 2 L2s that I rarely if ever use (but they’re soooooooo nice to have, even if bigger’n a P30 or GTmini), but this looks like a nice Überthrower.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3030
Location: Netherlands

Buy it, you wont regret it

Mocarny
Mocarny's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2019 - 04:03
Posts: 351
Location: Poland
Yokiamy wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Mocarny wrote:
At the end there will be a summary for those who like only particulars, in each topic I will bold the key sentences for those who read a little more, and a long waffling for everyone else.

Ooh, I like waffles…

With whipped cream, yummie Silly


Yeah, even without whipped cream it’s still great

Cochise334ever wrote:
Thanks for the review.I bought the torch!

Few questions .

- What battery did you use for testing?

-How many CD’s on Turbo?

-I see after 10 minutes on Turbo the temp.was 50C.Very manageable to me.
,,,,Do you think the thermal step down started or is this just an LED that does not generate a lot of heat?

Thanks…dzien dobry


I used Samsung 30T, but I always recommend LG M50T, still high drain with great capacity.
I didn’t measure CD’s… Sad
50°C on the surface doesn’t mean it’s 50°C inside. I think it’s much hotter inside actually, because this is a pretty massive flashlight, has thick walls and everything. I think it was not a step down, just LED loosing its efficiency and getting dimmer.
And…dobry wieczór

If you struggle choosing your perfect headlamp, check my headlamp guide, I compared 15 most popular headlamps there: CLICK

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4335
Location: US

Nice review. The L21A with CULPM1 is like a custom modded light finally made available for the masses.

Cochise334ever
Cochise334ever's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/24/2020 - 08:13
Posts: 278
Location: Upstate PA/ Germany

Cochise334ever wrote:
Thanks for the review.I bought the torch!

Few questions .

- What battery did you use for testing?

-How many CD’s on Turbo?

-I see after 10 minutes on Turbo the temp.was 50C.Very manageable to me.
,,,,Do you think the thermal step down started or is this just an LED that does not generate a lot of heat?

Thanks…dzien dobry

Please answer my light questions or I will eat ALL your waffles!

To admit is to acknowledge.To Accept is to take action.

Cochise334ever
Cochise334ever's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/24/2020 - 08:13
Posts: 278
Location: Upstate PA/ Germany
Mocarny wrote:
Yokiamy wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Mocarny wrote:
At the end there will be a summary for those who like only particulars, in each topic I will bold the key sentences for those who read a little more, and a long waffling for everyone else.

Ooh, I like waffles…

With whipped cream, yummie Silly


Yeah, even without whipped cream it’s still great

Cochise334ever wrote:
Thanks for the review.I bought the torch!

Few questions .

- What battery did you use for testing?

-How many CD’s on Turbo?

-I see after 10 minutes on Turbo the temp.was 50C.Very manageable to me.
,,,,Do you think the thermal step down started or is this just an LED that does not generate a lot of heat?

Thanks…dzien dobry


I used Samsung 30T, but I always recommend LG M50T, still high drain with great capacity.
I didn’t measure CD’s… Sad
50°C on the surface doesn’t mean it’s 50°C inside. I think it’s much hotter inside actually, because this is a pretty massive flashlight, has thick walls and everything. I think it was not a step down, just LED loosing its efficiency and getting dimmer.
And…dobry wieczór

Dziekuje

To admit is to acknowledge.To Accept is to take action.

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3030
Location: Netherlands

Cochise334ever wrote:
Cochise334ever wrote:
Thanks for the review.I bought the torch!

Few questions .

- What battery did you use for testing?

-How many CD’s on Turbo?

-I see after 10 minutes on Turbo the temp.was 50C.Very manageable to me.
,,,,Do you think the thermal step down started or is this just an LED that does not generate a lot of heat?

Thanks…dzien dobry

Please answer my light questions or I will eat ALL your waffles!

https://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1718732#comment-1718732

Cochise334ever
Cochise334ever's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/24/2020 - 08:13
Posts: 278
Location: Upstate PA/ Germany

Yokiamy wrote:
Cochise334ever wrote:
Cochise334ever wrote:
Thanks for the review.I bought the torch!

Few questions .

- What battery did you use for testing?

-How many CD’s on Turbo?

-I see after 10 minutes on Turbo the temp.was 50C.Very manageable to me.
,,,,Do you think the thermal step down started or is this just an LED that does not generate a lot of heat?

Thanks…dzien dobry

Please answer my light questions or I will eat ALL your waffles!

https://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1718732#comment-1718732

Thanks.Is there Any advantage using a 40T over a 50E when it says the driver puts out 8 amp maximum?

Would I benefit getting 40T as far as output?

To admit is to acknowledge.To Accept is to take action.

Cochise334ever
Cochise334ever's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/24/2020 - 08:13
Posts: 278
Location: Upstate PA/ Germany

Cochise334ever wrote:
Yokiamy wrote:
Cochise334ever wrote:
Cochise334ever wrote:
Thanks for the review.I bought the torch!

Few questions .

- What battery did you use for testing?

-How many CD’s on Turbo?

-I see after 10 minutes on Turbo the temp.was 50C.Very manageable to me.
,,,,Do you think the thermal step down started or is this just an LED that does not generate a lot of heat?

Thanks…dzien dobry

Please answer my light questions or I will eat ALL your waffles!

https://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1718732#comment-1718732

Thanks.Is there Any advantage using a 40T over a 50E when it says the driver puts out 8 amp maximum?

Would I benefit getting 40T as far as output?

I found my answer from this hkj comparator.

The 50E has no advantage at 10 amps until 3.2v where the 40T starts sagging more.I never let.my battery get below 3.5v and have no use for those low numbers.I am getting 40T

To admit is to acknowledge.To Accept is to take action.

mgracia85
mgracia85's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2017 - 18:35
Posts: 321
Location: East Texas

Where can I get one? And any codes?

I love my wife’s toy poodle

Mocarny
Mocarny's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2019 - 04:03
Posts: 351
Location: Poland

mgracia85 wrote:
Where can I get one? And any codes?

It is official Convoy store, and if you want, you can ask Simon for a 15% discount as a BLF member.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001594138171.html?spm=2114.12010612....

If you struggle choosing your perfect headlamp, check my headlamp guide, I compared 15 most popular headlamps there: CLICK

Plotthound
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 05/27/2018 - 06:46
Posts: 109
Location: New Hampshire USA

Can somebody lend me 45$? Smile

mgracia85
mgracia85's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2017 - 18:35
Posts: 321
Location: East Texas

Simon,

Any codes?

I love my wife’s toy poodle

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3030
Location: Netherlands

Please read what Mocarny wrote

Cochise334ever
Cochise334ever's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/24/2020 - 08:13
Posts: 278
Location: Upstate PA/ Germany

Just got light.Impressed that it only took 14 days from ordering to door.

Need HELP! Programming instructions are not in sync with light.I quickly press 20X after light is on.It blinks 5x then pause and continues that over and over.Directions say One blink for corresponding mode.ex.mode 1 is 1 blink.I want mode 6.So i just thought wait until the 5 flashes and tap during the sixth time(mode 6) and I would get mode 6.It just goes to beginning of mode group that it is stuck in.That is group one with 5 levels and 3 blinkies that i do not want.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT. THANK YOU RUSTY JOE.It needs 30 plus quick presses for config.mode, Not 20 like Alliexpress states!It is now programmed Thumbs Up Cool

To admit is to acknowledge.To Accept is to take action.

marshmalow
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 day ago
Joined: 01/18/2021 - 11:40
Posts: 2

I want to get this light! Very affordable for its capability

let there be light

Mocarny
Mocarny's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2019 - 04:03
Posts: 351
Location: Poland

marshmalow wrote:
I want to get this light! Very affordable for its capability

Welcome to BLF!
I love this light, it throws super duper far.

If you struggle choosing your perfect headlamp, check my headlamp guide, I compared 15 most popular headlamps there: CLICK

marshmalow
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 day ago
Joined: 01/18/2021 - 11:40
Posts: 2
Mocarny wrote:
marshmalow wrote:
I want to get this light! Very affordable for its capability
Welcome to BLF! I love this light, it throws super duper far.

unfortunately, i was left on read when i sent a message to the official store on Ali for a discount. maybe im not illegible for it. sad haha

let there be light

Monkeyboab
Monkeyboab's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 11 hours ago
Joined: 12/30/2019 - 17:24
Posts: 17
marshmalow wrote:
Mocarny wrote:
marshmalow wrote:
I want to get this light! Very affordable for its capability
Welcome to BLF! I love this light, it throws super duper far.

unfortunately, i was left on read when i sent a message to the official store on Ali for a discount. maybe im not illegible for it. sad haha

Maybe just an oversight, Simon must get an awful lot of messages. He’s always got back to me and is very helpful with advice or any problems that arise.

hodor
hodor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 12 hours ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 1062
Location: UK

May also have closed early for Chinese New Year. I’m sure he’ll reply and if not send him a gentle reminder.

Zappaman
Zappaman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 01/01/2018 - 23:27
Posts: 791
Location: Kansas

I suck, I know. Flat Stare

I should review my Osram CULPM1 loaded C8+ in a NEW post (with pics!). AND I WILL… but for now I HAVE to tell the story of tonight with this phenomenal “change agent” C8+.

I was at my buddy’s hunting lodge here in Kansas tonight. I mounted the C8+ on a rifle with a better 16x scope ($500 range- DECENT scope). ** THIS IS USING A FET MODIFIED PRESSURE SWITCH = ZERO CURRENT LOSSES.

We went out to the side of his lake with the dam right at 1000 yards away. I dialed in the scope at full zoom… hit the FET pressure switch— OMG… we could see a friggin’ possum down by the water with this C8+ in pitch black night at 1000 yards! IF we had a gun that could shoot that far… we could have shot a coyote (with no wind, off a bench, with a custom loaded round… if we were lucky! BUT we COULD SEE IT!!!). It IS that good! Silly

Wow, wow, wow! Nobody out of six VERY experience hunters could believe it! I got three orders for these on the spot tonight.

ZappaMan

Mocarny
Mocarny's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2019 - 04:03
Posts: 351
Location: Poland

Zappaman wrote:
I suck, I know. Flat Stare

I should review my Osram CULPM1 loaded C8+ in a NEW post (with pics!). AND I WILL… but for now I HAVE to tell the story of tonight with this phenomenal “change agent” C8+.

I was at my buddy’s hunting lodge here in Kansas tonight. I mounted the C8+ on a rifle with a better 16x scope ($500 range- DECENT scope). ** THIS IS USING A FET MODIFIED PRESSURE SWITCH = ZERO CURRENT LOSSES.

We went out to the side of his lake with the dam right at 1000 yards away. I dialed in the scope at full zoom… hit the FET pressure switch— OMG… we could see a friggin’ possum down by the water with this C8+ in pitch black night at 1000 yards! IF we had a gun that could shoot that far… we could have shot a coyote (with no wind, off a bench, with a custom loaded round… if we were lucky! BUT we COULD SEE IT!!!). It IS that good! Silly

Wow, wow, wow! Nobody out of six VERY experience hunters could believe it! I got three orders for these on the spot tonight.


1000 yards, you say? I should test it at that distance too Crazy

If you struggle choosing your perfect headlamp, check my headlamp guide, I compared 15 most popular headlamps there: CLICK

Pages