for an 18650 Fraz QTC light.

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
virencelights
virencelights's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 19:53
Posts: 1304
Location: Knightsbridge, London, UK
for an 18650 Fraz QTC light.
219b 4500k 9080
56% (9 votes)
Samsung LH351D 5700k 90cri
44% (7 votes)
Total votes: 16

Elzetta Bones.

Edited by: virencelights on 01/11/2021 - 19:25
ch1ir
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 06/08/2019 - 06:30
Posts: 337
Location: Lou, Ky

I went Samsung 4000k and I love it

Emisar D⁴, Astrolux C8, BLF A6, Sofirn sp36aV2, Reylight Mini Pineapple, BLF 348 KillZone, Lumintop IYP07, Emisar D18, Boruit D10, Manker e01, Ultrafire z1, Massdrop titanium AAA, Astrolux HL01, Armytek Wizard Pro Nichia, Tacklife LFL3A, Astrolux FT03, Zanflair T1

virencelights
virencelights's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 19:53
Posts: 1304
Location: Knightsbridge, London, UK

got his message from a member here;

Hey Darryl,

Have you spoken to Fraz about it? From my understanding of the design, most cells run the LED at 3-4A in his current lights, which is really too high for 219B, especially without thermal management and stepdown.

Elzetta Bones.

virencelights
virencelights's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 19:53
Posts: 1304
Location: Knightsbridge, London, UK

All emitters take what they need and NOT how much battery can deliver. I have 219B on IMR and no problems. Educate people,
there is no driver in Fraz

Elzetta Bones.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6559
Location: Ślōnsk

virencelights wrote:
All emitters take what they need and NOT how much battery can deliver. I have 219B on IMR and no problems. Educate people,
there is no driver in Fraz

Uhm, what?
As you said, there is no driver. UI manipulates resistance but at any point, the current taken is a function of resistance, Vf and how much current can cell deliver.
All emitters take as much as they can pull from the battery with the given resistance.
Bob_McBob
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 08/14/2016 - 04:53
Posts: 580
Location: Canada
Agro wrote:
Uhm, what? As you said, there is no driver. UI manipulates resistance but at any point, the current taken is a function of resistance, Vf and how much current can cell deliver. All emitters take as much as they can pull from the battery with the given resistance.

I’m confused about the quote as well. From my understanding, these lights are essentially direct drive at maximum output, which is likely far more current than 219B can safely handle with pretty much any cell. They also fail to a direct drive configuration if the QTC material degrades, so even physically limiting the amount of compression wouldn’t necessarily be safe. The 3-4A estimate comes straight from the Fraz Labs thread on CPF where the creator states “I measured the current draw at between 3 and 4 amps at the light’s highest level (direct drive at full), depending on which battery you use.” So how is this design a good candidate for 219B?

virencelights
virencelights's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 19:53
Posts: 1304
Location: Knightsbridge, London, UK

that was from another member;

Agro wrote:
virencelights wrote:
All emitters take what they need and NOT how much battery can deliver. I have 219B on IMR and no problems. Educate people, there is no driver in Fraz
Uhm, what? As you said, there is no driver. UI manipulates resistance but at any point, the current taken is a function of resistance, Vf and how much current can cell deliver. All emitters take as much as they can pull from the battery with the given resistance.

Elzetta Bones.

virencelights
virencelights's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 19:53
Posts: 1304
Location: Knightsbridge, London, UK

so best stick to a Samsung?

Elzetta Bones.

Fraz
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/20/2012 - 00:16
Posts: 14
Location: Little Rock, AR

Hey guys. Glad you found the light! Posted about the old model development years ago on the homemade forum here, but haven’t been around in a bit.

I’ll try to stop by more often for sure. As for the 219B, I haven’t tested any yet (I usually let the LED direct-drive in the system for a couple hours and get readings and see how the heat does). I think they will work as the new models have excellent heat sinking (there may not be enough resistance in the system for the 219B, but we shall see). Only one way to find out…

I can confirm the Samsungs work great, as do XM-L2, XP-L, SST20, and SST40.

-Fraz

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6559
Location: Ślōnsk

Hey Fraz, nice to see you here. Smile

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6559
Location: Ślōnsk

Myself I’m on the fence with this light.
I absolutely love the way it’s driven.
I absolutely love how it doesn’t require a soldering iron to do a LED swap.
I would love to experience it in practice.
But I hate how overbuilt it is. I love small and lightweight flashlights, in relation to what runtime and performance they deliver.
And the price is very steep if it’s only for the experience.

Chicken Drumstick
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 08/27/2012 - 05:00
Posts: 2757
Location: UK
Bob_McBob wrote:
Agro wrote:
Uhm, what? As you said, there is no driver. UI manipulates resistance but at any point, the current taken is a function of resistance, Vf and how much current can cell deliver. All emitters take as much as they can pull from the battery with the given resistance.

I’m confused about the quote as well. From my understanding, these lights are essentially direct drive at maximum output, which is likely far more current than 219B can safely handle with pretty much any cell. They also fail to a direct drive configuration if the QTC material degrades, so even physically limiting the amount of compression wouldn’t necessarily be safe. The 3-4A estimate comes straight from the Fraz Labs thread on CPF where the creator states “I measured the current draw at between 3 and 4 amps at the light’s highest level (direct drive at full), depending on which battery you use.” So how is this design a good candidate for 219B?


I had a 219B in a C8 with no driver. Ran fine on Samsung 25R or 30Q. Amps where not excessive, think somewhere just over 3 maybe 3.5

I’ve also run several 219B’s with 3 amp Qlite drivers in smaller EDC torches, although they do get a bit toasty.

Specialsteve
Specialsteve's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 08/11/2017 - 10:33
Posts: 23
Location: Germany

Fraz wrote:
Hey guys. Glad you found the light! Posted about the old model development years ago on the homemade forum here, but haven’t been around in a bit.

I’ll try to stop by more often for sure. As for the 219B, I haven’t tested any yet (I usually let the LED direct-drive in the system for a couple hours and get readings and see how the heat does). I think they will work as the new models have excellent heat sinking (there may not be enough resistance in the system for the 219B, but we shall see). Only one way to find out…

I can confirm the Samsungs work great, as do XM-L2, XP-L, SST20, and SST40.

-Fraz

Oh Cool Fraz is here. Nice Thumbs Up

Im a Big QTC Lover. I have ask you on Facebook for a Nugget 18350.

You say SST 40 is an Order Option. Then the next Question is …can we also put a XHP50.2 in it?

While Cutter have them in 3V and High CRI. https://www.cutter.com.au/product/xhp50b-00-0000-0a00j4051/

@virencelights i would not go with 5700K, go with Nichia 219B

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4102
Location: The Land of Enchantment

does size matter?;-)

Specialsteve
Specialsteve's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 08/11/2017 - 10:33
Posts: 23
Location: Germany

@ Jon

Very Nice Pics Thumbs Up

Now i want a Nugget 18350 Big Smile

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4102
Location: The Land of Enchantment

Specialsteve wrote:
Now i want
lol
the more time you spend here, the more money you will spend here

somebody who has used a fraz.. share your impressions (I have no experience)

I seldom to never, need to do this with my lights… lol:

what else are fraz good for?;-)

Fraz
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/20/2012 - 00:16
Posts: 14
Location: Little Rock, AR
Agro wrote:
Hey Fraz, nice to see you here. Smile

Good to be here! Big Smile

Fraz
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/20/2012 - 00:16
Posts: 14
Location: Little Rock, AR
Agro wrote:
Myself I’m on the fence with this light. I absolutely love the way it’s driven. I absolutely love how it doesn’t require a soldering iron to do a LED swap. I would love to experience it in practice. But I hate how overbuilt it is. I love small and lightweight flashlights, in relation to what runtime and performance they deliver. And the price is very steep if it’s only for the experience.

I’m working on some slimmer design options. The extra mass does however come in handy in heat sinking.

Fraz
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/20/2012 - 00:16
Posts: 14
Location: Little Rock, AR

Specialsteve wrote:
Fraz wrote:
Hey guys. Glad you found the light! Posted about the old model development years ago on the homemade forum here, but haven’t been around in a bit.

I’ll try to stop by more often for sure. As for the 219B, I haven’t tested any yet (I usually let the LED direct-drive in the system for a couple hours and get readings and see how the heat does). I think they will work as the new models have excellent heat sinking (there may not be enough resistance in the system for the 219B, but we shall see). Only one way to find out…

I can confirm the Samsungs work great, as do XM-L2, XP-L, SST20, and SST40.

-Fraz

Oh Cool Fraz is here. Nice Thumbs Up

Im a Big QTC Lover. I have ask you on Facebook for a Nugget 18350.

You say SST 40 is an Order Option. Then the next Question is …can we also put a XHP50.2 in it?

While Cutter have them in 3V and High CRI. https://www.cutter.com.au/product/xhp50b-00-0000-0a00j4051/

@virencelights i would not go with 5700K, go with Nichia 219B

Definitely gonna try a 50.2. Off to the store….

Fraz
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/20/2012 - 00:16
Posts: 14
Location: Little Rock, AR

jon_slider wrote:
does size matter?;-)

!https://i.postimg.cc/D0nHxW9Q/img1-1.jpg!

Old school Lumenite 26350 in the house! Not many of those around at all.