WildTrail WT90 - SBT90.2 1800m+ throw 90mm 3x 21700 With Texas_Ace driver

318 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tubercle
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 03/10/2019 - 14:28
Posts: 207
Location: USA

interested in raw version!

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 14145
Location: LI NY

Interested in the silver version.

It seems like a single LED version of the HK90 triple - very close in size and design. I'm really liking my HK90, tear down shown here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/74960, and finalized mods and results here: https://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1711135#comment-1711135

I'm sure I can tweak out better than 800 kcd on this WT90.

 

Unloco
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 01/27/2018 - 16:17
Posts: 490

I am im.
One “Clear / sliver” for me.

If there are no more “Clear / sliver” left, a black one

bibihang
bibihang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 11/10/2011 - 09:32
Posts: 2414
Location: Malaysia

Glad to see that there is more and more exciting SBT90.2 mid range lights coming out to the market!
I’d love to see more reviews, measurements and beamshots of this light Beer

JordanZHP
Online
Last seen: 9 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 03/25/2017 - 04:37
Posts: 524
Location: California

TA: how will buyers of the first bath of 25 clear/raw be selected in about two weeks?

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 9134
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
JordanZHP wrote:
TA: how will buyers of the first bath of 25 clear/raw be selected in about two weeks?

Depends on how long it will take them to make more silver.

Right now we will be using the posts in the thread on a first come, first served basis but exact details are TBD.

Basically if you want silver, let it be known in this thread for now and we will sort out the rest later.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 14145
Location: LI NY

I really want green but posted for silver smile. Black has become boring for me... 75/25 seems overly optimistic for black, but we'll see.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 9134
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
Tom E wrote:

I really want green but posted for silver smile. Black has become boring for me… 75/25 seems overly optimistic for black, but we’ll see.

yeah, I was thinking the same but had no data to back that up so let them go with what they wanted. Should of trusted my gut lol.

I also am over black lights, I get pretty much anything that is not black now days.

Artiet59
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 1679
Location: CT, USA

Tom E wrote:

I really want green but posted for silver smile. Black has become boring for me… 75/25 seems overly optimistic for black, but we’ll see.


+1 for green Innocent
Zia
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 10/07/2020 - 07:35
Posts: 72
Location: Melbourne Australia

In for a 1 green or silver
Thank you

Zee

Artiet59
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 1679
Location: CT, USA

I don’t want to be responsible for creating the false hope of green, unless there are suggestions being taken for the second batch on a color Smile

But so we’re clear, I wasn’t trying to start trouble with the green talk lol

Zia
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 10/07/2020 - 07:35
Posts: 72
Location: Melbourne Australia

Copy mate
I was just playing about the green colour as well as I know its not avalible.but if it would that would be awesome..
I hope I get a clear anodised one atleast loll.
Thanks

Zee

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 17676
Location: Amsterdam

red, and a SS bezel Wink

And for the next batch a tripod mounting hole? (I could make a handle then)

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 982

I see this light doing very well. The price point is good.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 9134
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

Artiet59 wrote:
I don’t want to be responsible for creating the false hope of green, unless there are suggestions being taken for the second batch on a color Smile

But so we’re clear, I wasn’t trying to start trouble with the green talk lol

yeah, I mentioned the option of other colors early on but they wanted to stick with black. I was able to talk them into the clear coated without a lot of hassle since it is really simple and hard to screw up but other colors take a fair amount of trial and error to get right as a rule and they didn’t seem ready to do that until they saw the demand for the light.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 9134
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

djozz wrote:
red, and a SS bezel Wink

And for the next batch a tripod mounting hole? (I could make a handle then)

I actually thought that a tripod mount was going to be included until the prototype showed up.

Edit: Realized why the tripod was left out, there is just no where to easily put it without ruining the lines of the light and making the grip much larger. Unlike the GT the button is actually above the LED, so the tripod mount would have to stick out out the back of the light to have room. Possible but it is already a large grip even for my large hands, anything more would push it over the top. So I can understand why they had to leave it out.

I also like red lights, and purple, tan, blue, green, come to think of it I like anything that is not black lol.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 9134
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

I also got word on the silver / clear options.

They said if they can sell at least 45 silver units that they can make up a batch of them. It will take 30 days from start to finish for another batch is what I am told.

So if you want silver / clear, let your voice be heard. I counted them up and as of yesterday there were around 20 reservations for silver.

I told him I am pretty confident they will sell 45+ silver units but he wants an idea of how many more to make before he submits the order.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 9134
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
zoulas wrote:
I see this light doing very well. The price point is good.

Yeah the quality for the price is quite nice.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 14145
Location: LI NY

Tripod mount is almost a must for a light of this size, didn't realize it didn't have one.

I'd prefer the SS bezel but usually it's a hefty price increase. For a 100-110 mm head diam, maybe $25 extra?

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 9134
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
Tom E wrote:

Tripod mount is almost a must for a light of this size, didn’t realize it didn’t have one.


I’d prefer the SS bezel but usually it’s a hefty price increase. For a 100-110 mm head diam, maybe $25 extra?

Yeah, it is a hefty price increase but also a hefty weight increase in the wrong spot.

If this is where they chose to cut costs, I would say they picked the right spot IMHO.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 14145
Location: LI NY

Do you have a head diam #? If the reflector is 90 mm, I'm guess 102-105 mm, assuming the prototype's dims are reflective of production.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 9134
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
Tom E wrote:

Do you have a head diam #? If the reflector is 90 mm, I’m guess 102-105 mm, assuming the prototype’s dims are reflective of production.

Looks like it is around 108-109mm total head size, there is a fair amount of meat on the body to allow heat to flow to the fins so it makes it a bit thicker.

Artiet59
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 1679
Location: CT, USA

Texas_Ace wrote:
Artiet59 wrote:
I don’t want to be responsible for creating the false hope of green, unless there are suggestions being taken for the second batch on a color Smile

But so we’re clear, I wasn’t trying to start trouble with the green talk lol

yeah, I mentioned the option of other colors early on but they wanted to stick with black. I was able to talk them into the clear coated without a lot of hassle since it is really simple and hard to screw up but other colors take a fair amount of trial and error to get right as a rule and they didn’t seem ready to do that until they saw the demand for the light.


That absolutely makes sense, see how wel the light sells before committing to an extra involved process in manufacturing. Also, Very Glad you pushed for clear Ano Thumbs Up
Artiet59
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 1679
Location: CT, USA
Texas_Ace wrote:
Tom E wrote:

Tripod mount is almost a must for a light of this size, didn’t realize it didn’t have one.


I’d prefer the SS bezel but usually it’s a hefty price increase. For a 100-110 mm head diam, maybe $25 extra?

Yeah, it is a hefty price increase but also a hefty weight increase in the wrong spot.

If this is where they chose to cut costs, I would say they picked the right spot IMHO.


As much as I like the look of SS bezels, I am realizing that I wish none of my throwers had them. I would take a aluminum bezel that matches the body color over SS just because of the beam rings that occur from the Stainless bezel. Although, I have no understanding if the SS bezel helps with thermal transfer or anything like that. Regardless, I’d take aluminum everyday over stainless. My new ft03 with ss bezel has rings that my all black ft03 did not. Disappointing.
JordanZHP
Online
Last seen: 9 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 03/25/2017 - 04:37
Posts: 524
Location: California

Texas_Ace wrote:
I also got word on the silver / clear options.

They said if they can sell at least 45 silver units that they can make up a batch of them. It will take 30 days from start to finish for another batch is what I am told.

So if you want silver / clear, let your voice be heard. I counted them up and as of yesterday there were around 20 reservations for silver.

I told him I am pretty confident they will sell 45+ silver units but he wants an idea of how many more to make before he submits the order.

Is this 45 silver in addition to the originally planned 25? Meaning the first 25 silver should be available in ~2 weeks to order?

Thanks for helping create this light, it’s large mass should pair well with SBT90.2.

FlashPilot
FlashPilot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2010 - 16:07
Posts: 4751
Location: USA

TA, this is all looking very good so far.

Can you please ask them to add a tripod mount option? (1/4-20 UNC) It will be needed most of the time in my usage case and should be simple enough for them to include it.

Artiet59
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 1679
Location: CT, USA

Texas_Ace wrote:

Edit: Realized why the tripod was left out, there is just no where to easily put it without ruining the lines of the light and making the grip much larger. Unlike the GT the button is actually above the LED, so the tripod mount would have to stick out out the back of the light to have room.

I dont want to push it too much, becuase im sure its too late to add th tripod mount anyway, but i just watched that (awesome) production video in the OP, and it looks like even thought the button is above the LED that there is a natural location for a tripod mount opposite the button location, if they just flattened that area like they did for the button? Or are you saying that the tripod mount screw would stick through and interfere with the internals if it was placed there?

I only ask because it looks like it could be added without making the handle larger, by just flattening (instead of milling fins) opposite the button, and because it would be really nice to have a tripod mount for this light. Making the handle is easy, but i’m afraid i am incapable of milling my tripod hole.. Either way i am buying this one, but if they could do the tripod mount, that would be fantastic. but if they need to make the handle larger for some reason, then i agree its not worth adding it.

Robin Dobbie
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 04/30/2019 - 12:49
Posts: 966
Location: Texas

I wonder what the diameter of this flat area is?

Camera lens tripod rings can be had pretty cheap, bet there’s one around that size.

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 2907
Location: Netherlands

If you need a tripod mount, a clamp like THIS is very useful

JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 1791
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

At this size, I’d really expect about 950kcd. The TN42v2 is very close in size to the WT90 and it claims 864kcd, though, so maybe I’m expecting a bit too much.

I’d love to see beamshot comparisons vs the MF02Sv2/MT90.

TomE, what do you expect to get out of this one?

Pages