Is it worth fixing a Nitecore MT2C?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
lg.tech
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2020 - 17:10
Posts: 31
Location: Recife
Is it worth fixing a Nitecore MT2C?

So, last night my MT2C rolled off the table and fell down on the tile floor and died.
I finally managed to disassemble it but in the process I broke the lens.
So it needs a new driver, lens and while at it I might as well put in a new nice high CRI emitter. But the original driver board is 20mm and was glued on, there’s no retaining ring. The mcpcb is around 17mm.
Adding all the parts it’s probably gonna be more expensive than just buying a new Convoy S2+.

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 23 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 1870

IMHO. Not worth it. Sell it for parts and get a new light. Hundreds of options in that same form factor. Try the Fenix PD32 V2. $60. Incredible light.

jasontheguitarist
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 377
Location: South Carolina

I’d fix it… but I have a bunch of drivers and emitters laying around.

Order that Convoy from Simon’s store, but he also sells parts. His new drivers are pretty good and there’s a 20mm one. It’s 6A though, so that’s a lot for some emitters. An LH351D would work.

If the stock MCPCB is 17mm a standard 16mm should fit fine.

Finding a new lens shouldn’t be hard, just measure it. If you need to glue the new driver in some silicone adhesive from the hardware store would work fine and be pretty easy to pop back off later if you wanted.

lg.tech
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2020 - 17:10
Posts: 31
Location: Recife

zoulas wrote:
IMHO. Not worth it. Sell it for parts and get a new light. Hundreds of options in that same form factor. Try the Fenix PD32 V2. $60. Incredible light.

That’s more of a thrower and about twice as bright as I actually need, cool white emitter and no moonlight mode. Not what I’m looking for.
lg.tech
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2020 - 17:10
Posts: 31
Location: Recife

jasontheguitarist wrote:
I’d fix it… but I have a bunch of drivers and emitters laying around.

Order that Convoy from Simon’s store, but he also sells parts. His new drivers are pretty good and there’s a 20mm one. It’s 6A though, so that’s a lot for some emitters. An LH351D would work.

If the stock MCPCB is 17mm a standard 16mm should fit fine.

Finding a new lens shouldn’t be hard, just measure it. If you need to glue the new driver in some silicone adhesive from the hardware store would work fine and be pretty easy to pop back off later if you wanted.


I think I’ll probably end up buying a Convoy S2+ LH351D emitter 5000k with the 7135×6 driver and some TIR optics and take my time and source some parts later to attempt to fix the MT2C
Quadrupel
Quadrupel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 12/03/2017 - 10:40
Posts: 720
Location: Lithuania

Maybe try this driver and set mode 8

lg.tech
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2020 - 17:10
Posts: 31
Location: Recife

Quadrupel wrote:
Maybe try this driver and set mode 8

That’s a 17mm driver. The MT2C uses a 20mm driver.
jasontheguitarist
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 377
Location: South Carolina

lg.tech wrote:
Quadrupel wrote:
Maybe try this driver and set mode 8

That’s a 17mm driver. The MT2C uses a 20mm driver.

This is the 20mm version.
lg.tech
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2020 - 17:10
Posts: 31
Location: Recife

jasontheguitarist wrote:
lg.tech wrote:
Quadrupel wrote:
Maybe try this driver and set mode 8

That’s a 17mm driver. The MT2C uses a 20mm driver.

This is the 20mm version.

Thank you! I’ll look into it.
lg.tech
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2020 - 17:10
Posts: 31
Location: Recife

So, I managed to actually fix the driver by resoldering some of the components on the driver board and brought the light back to life.

I tried 3 TIR lenses, the ones with the dimples, 15, 30 and 45 degrees. But the OTF light output was greatly decreased with the TIR’s compared to the stock deep reflector so I’ll be keeping the stock reflector.
I realised this light has enough output for my needs and decided to keep the stock driver and I plan on swapping the switch to a reverse clicky, install a new glass lens and swap the emitter.

Now my question is, what emitter should I get while keeping the stock driver and maintain the same OTF output? I was thinking XP-G2 S3 5000K or XP-L HI V3 3C 5000K, the XP-G2 should be close enough since the stock emitter is a XP-G R5 but the XP-L HI while capable of higher output has a higher typical Forward Voltage. I don’t understand enough about this, could anyone give any insights about this? Also, the stock reflector has a 5mm opening.
XP-G2
XP-L
Thank you!

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1639
Location: Finland

XP-L HI would offer more throw. Still I would consider also SST20 leds or LH351D.
Between all those you wouldn’t probably even notice any output differences because that would be minimal. SST20 should be pretty similar on throw too, a tad less, but high CRI.

lg.tech
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2020 - 17:10
Posts: 31
Location: Recife

MoreLumens wrote:
XP-L HI would offer more throw. Still I would consider also SST20 leds or LH351D.
Between all those you wouldn’t probably even notice any output differences because that would be minimal. SST20 should be pretty similar on throw too, a tad less, but high CRI.

I initially thought about the LH351D, but I ended up buying a Convoy S2+ with a LH351D 5000K emitter which has become my new EDC.
The SST20 is only high CRI in the 4000K and 2700K, while the 5000K I heard has a really bad tint. I might consider going with a 4000K but the LH351D since it’s more efficient or even a Nichia 219C (the one in my Jaxman E3 is flawless).
MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1639
Location: Finland

Yeah not fan of SST20 5000k either. 4000k sure is nice, but some are greenish on lower outputs. You could also slice either ones dome off to get nicer beam color and some bonus throw.

lg.tech
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2020 - 17:10
Posts: 31
Location: Recife

MoreLumens wrote:
Yeah not fan of SST20 5000k either. 4000k sure is nice, but some are greenish on lower outputs. You could also slice either ones dome off to get nicer beam color and some bonus throw.

I’m not so much after throw, I’m happy enough with the throw from the MT2C, just don’t care much about the CCT.
The 219C on my Jaxman has no tint shit at lower levels, if I end up going with a 4000 emitter I might go with that instead of the SST20.