Webcam Lights

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 16505
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA
Webcam Lights

This thread is all about webcam lights.

The OP will be similar in nature to this thread about LED desk lamps:

https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77955

 

I only looked on Amazon, and my budget was $16 or less.

I was looking for webcam lights that sit on your desk.

I looked at lights with at least 4.4 stars and at least 250 ratings.

I wanted at least 4 light levels and at least 3 tints (at least one cool white, neutral white, and warm white).

The only webcam light I liked was this one:

bzseed_webcam_light

https://www.amazon.com/Control-BZseed-Desktop-Photography-Brightness/dp/B089S4PBB9

 

I'm sure if I increased my budget, I could find something nicer, but I'm not going to do that, so I'll probably order this one.

Vaping
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 09/20/2015 - 10:38
Posts: 194

What I am using:
VL81, adjustable light color from cold to warm (stepless/wheel)
adjustable in brightness (stepless/wheel)
built-in lithium cell
USB Type C
cold shoe mountable
provides cold shoe for other lights or microphone or other stuff
battery charge indicator with 4 LEDs

vjim store link
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AF1EBn

Ulanzi store (same product)
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_A8APWp

ValuseekeR
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2012 - 13:18
Posts: 384
Location: USA

LT1 is my desk lamp and my webcam light.

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6552
Location: Portugal

Andoer CL-36
I reviewed it here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77780
Bought 2 for me for videos and photography and I am happy with them!

Here goes some information about the Andoer CL-36:
- 36 LEDs: 18 cool white / 18 warm white
- ramps from 2800K to 8500K
- >95 CRI
- adjustment from 0% up to 100%
- max runtime of 300minutes at minimum brightness (0.1%)
- runtime on maximum brightness: 120minutes (5600K, 100%)
- USB-C charging (5V-1A)
- rechargeable built-in battery of 3.7V 2000mAh
- 3 cold shoe entries
- 1 cold shoe base, tripod adaptable with 1/4 hole
- hard plastic body
- press / rotary adjusting button/switch
- LCD display on the back
- diffuser front (non-removable)
- not waterproof
- not dustproof

You can also check this one: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/75185
Viltrox RB08

A bit more expensive than the Andoer, though

Here goes some information about the Viltrox RB08:
- 24 dual colour LEDS
- ramps from 2500K to 8500K
- >95 CRI
- adjustment from 10% up to 100%
- max brightness of 720 lumens
- max of 985Lux / 0.5M (at 0.5M, 5600K, 100% power)
- max runtime of 1.2h (at 5600K, 100%)
- micro-USB charging
- built-in 3.7V 3000mAh rechargeable battery (DC)
- 8W (constant power)
- tripod adaptable with 1/4 hole
- hard plastic body
- OLED screen display

GreenLights
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 01/22/2018 - 00:56
Posts: 165
Location: Florida, USA

Item in OP’s post is currently $8.10 on Vipon. Expires June 29, 2021.
https://www.myvipon.com/product/8404006

Just discovered this wonderful addiction.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 16505
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

GreenLights wrote:

Item in OP’s post is currently $8.10 on Vipon. Expires June 29, 2021.
https://www.myvipon.com/product/8404006

Aw, man!

I swear I checked Vipon...

But I missed that.

I already ordered the item, which was about $9.50 plus tax.

I'm not going to cancel the order and reorder, though.

skinny_tie
skinny_tie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 09/23/2017 - 03:14
Posts: 508
Location: Australia

MascaratumB wrote:

You can also check this one: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/75185
Viltrox RB08

A bit more expensive than the Andoer, though

Here goes some information about the Viltrox RB08:
- 24 dual colour LEDS
- ramps from 2500K to 8500K
- >95 CRI
- adjustment from 10% up to 100%
- max brightness of 720 lumens
- max of 985Lux / 0.5M (at 0.5M, 5600K, 100% power)
- max runtime of 1.2h (at 5600K, 100%)
- micro-USB charging
- built-in 3.7V 3000mAh rechargeable battery (DC)
- 8W (constant power)
- tripod adaptable with 1/4 hole
- hard plastic body
- OLED screen display


I have two of the Viltrox RB08s that MascaratumB reviewed.

One of the reasons I chose them was the display, as I wanted to be able to ensure they were both set to the same CCT. The controls can be a bit fiddly when using them with a webcam but it might not matter if you don’t need to hit specific power settings or CCTs.

The inability to use the light while charging is also frustrating – you have to remember to charge it and then unplug it before use. Battery life is pretty good but I have had it run out when I have been unable (or forgot) to charge between calls.

Overall I don’t think Viltrox RB08 is a great choice if you only intend to use it as a webcam light.

FPV
FPV's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 07/14/2017 - 12:36
Posts: 580
Location: Traveling on the job

vjim/ulanzi products are very reliable, they can also be used while charging. I have a smaller light than this, but will consider ordering another.

Vaping wrote:
What I am using:
VL81, adjustable light color from cold to warm (stepless/wheel)
adjustable in brightness (stepless/wheel)
built-in lithium cell
USB Type C
cold shoe mountable
provides cold shoe for other lights or microphone or other stuff
battery charge indicator with 4 LEDs

vjim store link
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AF1EBn

Ulanzi store (same product)
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_A8APWp

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6552
Location: Portugal

skinny_tie wrote:

I have two of the Viltrox RB08s that MascaratumB reviewed.

One of the reasons I chose them was the display, as I wanted to be able to ensure they were both set to the same CCT. The controls can be a bit fiddly when using them with a webcam but it might not matter if you don’t need to hit specific power settings or CCTs.

The inability to use the light while charging is also frustrating – you have to remember to charge it and then unplug it before use. Battery life is pretty good but I have had it run out when I have been unable (or forgot) to charge between calls.

Overall I don’t think Viltrox RB08 is a great choice if you only intend to use it as a webcam light.


Yup, that impossibility to use it when charging is the less appealing thing. The Andoer lights can be used while charging but not the Viltrox.
Apart from that, I find it a nice light for photo or video, due to the “beam” quality. The Andoer are more easily usable and adjustable, although they have less capacity.
Paradise
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 day ago
Joined: 04/14/2019 - 08:27
Posts: 99

How many “steps” do you think this light has? I know it has a wheel, but there are steps or levels you could count. I think mine has about 50?
good light.

Vaping wrote:
What I am using:
vjim store link
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AF1EBn

Ulanzi store (same product)
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_A8APWp

skinny_tie
skinny_tie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 09/23/2017 - 03:14
Posts: 508
Location: Australia

Not a budget option, but I’ve also been using the Philips Hue Play light bar. In the picture below the Hue Play is on top of the monitor and the Viltrox RB08 is on the left.

I haven’t come up with a good way to mount the Hue Play but it’s well diffused and it’s easy to create presets that can be trigged from my phone, PC, or with a Zigbee button.

cayman
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/29/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 102

Vaping wrote:

vjim store link
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AF1EBn

Ulanzi store (same product)
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_A8APWp

They are also high CRI, I am using these for photography! Pretty good for the money, they are on sale all the time. Just avoid Banggood, they charge for shipping (item contains batteries or a battery product).

tech
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 15:04
Posts: 398
Vaping wrote:
vjim store link https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AF1EBn Ulanzi store (same product) https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_A8APWp

thanks, this light seems awesome. I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and need a light like this for taking pictures. adjustable light color and high CRI is pretty nice to have. battery too.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 16505
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

raccoon city wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Control-BZseed-Desktop-Photography-Brightness/dp/B089S4PBB9

We received this light a while ago, and unfortunately, it's not suitable for us.

Its height is not adjustable and I should have caught that before I ordered it.  :FACEPALM:

I tried to return it to Amazon, but instead they refunded my money and told me to keep the light.

 

So I ordered and received this:

https://www.amazon.com/GLCON-Stream-LED-Samsung-Android-Dimmable-Brightness/dp/B075S7KQPT

This light seems to be exactly what we needed, and it was $21 when I ordered it.  :BEER: