Old Mans Shop Light

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4603
Location: Upstate NY
Old Mans Shop Light

Any recommendations for a magnifier us light like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UW2IRJ2/

makapuu
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 12 hours ago
Joined: 07/18/2011 - 00:08
Posts: 576
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

I don’t have a recommendation, but I offer a tip. The cheaper ones have angle adjustment springs that are usually exposed.
Over time, the springs rust and the light looks like crap. I even notice the springs on the office store display model has rust on them.

goshdogit
goshdogit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 21:28
Posts: 1370

Good topic!

I’ve had this fluorescent one from Harbor Freight for several years. I’m not a fan of fluorescent lighting, but I’ve been pleased with the lamp. The springs are stiff enough that the arm stays where I position it.

I’d like to have one with decent LEDs. Looking forward to other members’ recommendations.

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4603
Location: Upstate NY
makapuu wrote:
I don’t have a recommendation, but I offer a tip. The cheaper ones have angle adjustment springs that are usually exposed. Over time, the springs rust and the light looks like crap. I even notice the springs on the office store display model has rust on them.

Good tip for sure. I had a decent incandescent bulb style lamp that I put an led bulb in, but the arm broke from misuse. The springs were exposed, but thankfully they didn’t rust (10 yrs?). They did annoyingly snag things on the bench.

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 1412
Location: Swampland,La

I have 2 of these —no super bright but I find the lens to be very clear —two different color temps to pick from I’d guess 6500k and 4000k — the springs work well to —- one of them I have in a big block of wood on the desk so I can move it out of the way

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R61JGN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 1847

These are standard technician magnifiers, not only for old men.

CNCman
CNCman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 10:10
Posts: 1187
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast

Thinking we have this model at work, the lens cover keeps dust off. Its a good mag lite. Thumbs Up

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4603
Location: Upstate NY

chops728 wrote:
I have 2 of these —no super bright but I find the lens to be very clear —two different color temps to pick from I’d guess 6500k and 4000k — the springs work well to —- one of them I have in a big block of wood on the desk so I can move it out of the way

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R61JGN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

That’s a good price compared to the other. Wish it had a cover. I guess I could leave a towel on it.

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 1412
Location: Swampland,La

dthrckt wrote:
chops728 wrote:
I have 2 of these —no super bright but I find the lens to be very clear —two different color temps to pick from I’d guess 6500k and 4000k — the springs work well to —- one of them I have in a big block of wood on the desk so I can move it out of the way

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R61JGN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

That’s a good price compared to the other. Wish it had a cover. I guess I could leave a towel on it.

they came with a bubble wrap sleeve for shipping —- I just use that as a cover

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4603
Location: Upstate NY

chops728 wrote:
dthrckt wrote:
chops728 wrote:
I have 2 of these —no super bright but I find the lens to be very clear —two different color temps to pick from I’d guess 6500k and 4000k — the springs work well to —- one of them I have in a big block of wood on the desk so I can move it out of the way

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R61JGN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

That’s a good price compared to the other. Wish it had a cover. I guess I could leave a towel on it.

they came with a bubble wrap sleeve for shipping —- I just use that as a cover

Great idea! I really like the one I originally posted, but I’m going to try the one you sent and save myself some money. Thanks!

kennybobby
kennybobby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 05/10/2017 - 09:13
Posts: 917
Location: huntspatch, alabama

Dazor makes some really nice flex mag lamps. i have bought several old ones at the thrift store or estate sales (= the old man’s stuff that the kids didn’t want). My favorite is an older incandescent version that i swapped out to one of those corn-cob led bulbs—perfect for looking at circuit boards.
Dazor

Now i used to think that i was cool,
drivin' around on fossil fuel,
until i saw what i was doin',
was drivin' down the road to ruin. --JT

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4603
Location: Upstate NY

That would be a great find at a garage sale. My eyes will have to get a lot worse before I’ll spend $500!

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 1412
Location: Swampland,La

When I was in my late 20s — we did a renovation job and the owner gave me a roll around magnifier lamp —it must of been 10” diameter —- I had an old guy use to hang around my shop that I gave it to —back then my young eyes could thread a needle in the dark — Well I’m the old guy now

kennybobby
kennybobby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 05/10/2017 - 09:13
Posts: 917
Location: huntspatch, alabama

dthrckt wrote:
That would be a great find at a garage sale. My eyes will have to get a lot worse before I’ll spend $500!

Don’t worry, if you live long enough they will get worse. Then when you can’t see, your priorities change and money has more value as a tool to solve problems than something to save up. Glasses

Now i used to think that i was cool,
drivin' around on fossil fuel,
until i saw what i was doin',
was drivin' down the road to ruin. --JT

Correllux
Correllux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 04/27/2019 - 22:23
Posts: 391
Location: USA

Here's one that I might suggest over the other...and it's showing an $8 discount at the moment, too.  It has the nice temp/dimming control.  I have a very similar one from Newacalox in the 3x smaller lens and it's been excellent.  The larger model with the higher magnification would be nicer.  Optical clarity is actually very good and it's sturdy, holds position well.  Black finish is great quality and doesn't seem like it's ever going to flake away or rust like the painted models usually do.  Thus far the clamp seems like it will last, too.  I've got a gooseneck from them as well and it's been good.  I picked up a different clamp for it that allows me to screw in other additional arms but you can order these with all kinds of configurations. 

Here's the Amazon link:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z7H8TKC/

And the aliexpress Newacalox store offerings.  They're just a rebadger but they seem to be a solid "brand" that weeds out junk, for a small premium.  They were on Amazon but I think they may have pulled out or reduced what they offer there.   https://newacalox.aliexpress.com/store/group/Magnifier/1801824_517936252.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148362.8.1afe350dQpboPo&origin=n&SortType=price_asc&g=y

Couchmaster
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 05/04/2016 - 17:11
Posts: 484
Location: USA

The Brightech Lightview Pro got some decent talk over on Eevblog. I bought it, based on that discourse, and am happy with it (so far). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UW2IRJ2/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=.... I will say that it looks dead nuts to money just like the picture of the Harbor Freight one which costs less.

There is a 5% off coupon on that page you can click if you are buying it. I think the other thing that might be of value is a digital microscope. They’re pretty cheap these days and the magnification is greater than the magnifiers. (I don’t own one but have been looking)

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4603
Location: Upstate NY

Thanks, I ordered that one, too. I’ll either return one or put one in the gun shop and one in the garage.

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4603
Location: Upstate NY

Couchmaster wrote:
The Brightech Lightview Pro got some decent talk over on Eevblog. I bought it and am happy with it (so far). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UW2IRJ2/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=...

There is a 5% off coupon on that page you can click if you are buying it. I think the other thing that might be of value is a digital microscope. They’re pretty cheap these days and the magnification is greater than the magnifiers. (I don’t own one but have been looking)

I bought that one for my Dad a couple years ago. I’ll compare these other 2 with his. He says its great but I’m hoping to not spend that much.

Vegas LED Fan
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 11/05/2017 - 14:51
Posts: 184
Location: Nevada

Just Google on “Magnifying Glass Desk Lamp” and a bunch of sources will show up. One from a website named “wish” is under $20. No information on lumen output but it does have 3 levels of illumination.

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4603
Location: Upstate NY
Vegas LED Fan wrote:
Just Google on “Magnifying Glass Desk Lamp” and a bunch of sources will show up. One from a website named “wish” is under $20. No information on lumen output but it does have 3 levels of illumination.

My google fu is pretty good,but it’s nice to get feedback on products from someone that’s not a shill (since it seems like many amazon reviews are fake).

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4603
Location: Upstate NY

Both arrived. VERY similar in construction. Cast metal base is better than my last one (plastic). One uses USB, buttons for changing modes, changes brightness and has fairly high magnification so needs to be close to the object, other is straight to AC and has toggle switch for changing color (constant brightness) and not quite as high power. Nice pair, both going in the shop (mounts are interchangeable).

Thanks

goshdogit
goshdogit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 21:28
Posts: 1370

Is this one of the models you got?

I like the looks of it, especially since it’s currently got a coupon for $7 off to bring the price down to $23 before tax.

Is there any PWM flickering when used in the lower modes?

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4603
Location: Upstate NY

Yes. No visible pwm waving my fingers under it on low. That’s $3 cheaper than I paid. Definitely worth that price.

goshdogit
goshdogit's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 21:28
Posts: 1370

Thanks! I’ll order one and give it a try. Thumbs Up

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 1412
Location: Swampland,La

I received my USB version —It’s definitely worth the price —- By being USB powered I’m going to make a wood block and use a battery pack for a portable setup

The first ones I purchased seem to be a little clearer