CPF Sold - Under New Management

214 posts / 0 new
Last post
Geuzzz
Geuzzz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2015 - 10:27
Posts: 1457
Location: Netherlands

The_Flashaholic wrote:
Leif wrote:
Horrible forum, so many rules, unless you say “Wow, lovely light” you’re in trouble. Dare to criticise Surefire, and you’re toast. She struck me as a tyrant. Clearly she made a lot of money from advertisers, and didn’t want anyone to impact the income stream eg by making negative comments about favoured brands. Comments about “cheap Chinese junk” were fine.
Rusty Joe wrote:
If DM51 is still a mod there, I sure won’t be going back. And indeed, I suppose I wouldn’t go anyway.

He was the reason I left. Horrible man.

It’s a shame because some of the reviews are very high quality, albeit a tad OCD. Informative, well written, with good measurements. And some of the comments were extremely well informed. I don’t have issues with someone saying “that’s junk” as I’m an intelligent adult, and I can reach my own view based on the totality of comments and reviews.

You’re not allowed to criticise here either. Lumen tubes, ill-fated Anduril 2, BLF Lumintop colabs, FM1 etc etc.

You are allowed. But don’t blame us for not listening to a broken record.

You have a point, but the disadvantages of anduril and especially the fw3a are already mentioned here often.

Despite this a lot of us are just really enjoying these lights.

Perception
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/01/2019 - 20:11
Posts: 136

The_Flashaholic wrote:
Leif wrote:
Horrible forum, so many rules, unless you say “Wow, lovely light” you’re in trouble. Dare to criticise Surefire, and you’re toast. She struck me as a tyrant. Clearly she made a lot of money from advertisers, and didn’t want anyone to impact the income stream eg by making negative comments about favoured brands. Comments about “cheap Chinese junk” were fine.
Rusty Joe wrote:
If DM51 is still a mod there, I sure won’t be going back. And indeed, I suppose I wouldn’t go anyway.

He was the reason I left. Horrible man.

It’s a shame because some of the reviews are very high quality, albeit a tad OCD. Informative, well written, with good measurements. And some of the comments were extremely well informed. I don’t have issues with someone saying “that’s junk” as I’m an intelligent adult, and I can reach my own view based on the totality of comments and reviews.

You’re not allowed to criticise here either. Lumen tubes, ill-fated Anduril 2, BLF Lumintop colabs, FM1 etc etc.

You’re allowed to criticize, but that doesn’t mean people have to pay attention to it. Most people think Anduril 2 is great, so they probably disagree when something negative is said about it.

I personally think the FWXX series of lights is dangerously flawed, but most people have lights that have worked for them so they don’t listen and they don’t have to. I still point it out every time the question comes up, and I haven’t and don’t expect to be moderated for it here. People not agreeing with an opinion is totally different than being completely shut down by moderation.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15735
Location: nyc
The_Flashaholic wrote:
You’re not allowed to criticise here either. Lumen tubes, ill-fated Anduril 2, BLF Lumintop colabs, FM1 etc etc.

Hm? Whaddid I miss?

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 1015
Location: Miami, Florida
Leif][quote=ChrisGarrett wrote:
The_Flashaholic wrote:
I never had a problem with their mods, but then I’m not really a dickhead, so I have that going for me?

It doesn’t take much to get a CPF mod frothing at the mouth, and requiring a change of underwear.

Like I said, I’ve been all over CPF for nine and a half years and but for using the phrase “tits up,” I’ve never had a problem and as you can see, I have a lot of posts there.

Chris

Pip
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2019 - 05:56
Posts: 306
The_Flashaholic wrote:
You’re not allowed to criticise here either. Lumen tubes, ill-fated Anduril 2, BLF Lumintop colabs, FM1 etc etc.

Wait a minute, aren’t you the guy that put something like BLF sucks in one of your videos and posted it here? I’ve seen you criticize a whole lot yet you’re still here. Just sayin’…

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8225
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Perception wrote:
The_Flashaholic wrote:
Leif wrote:
Horrible forum, so many rules, unless you say “Wow, lovely light” you’re in trouble. Dare to criticise Surefire, and you’re toast. She struck me as a tyrant. Clearly she made a lot of money from advertisers, and didn’t want anyone to impact the income stream eg by making negative comments about favoured brands. Comments about “cheap Chinese junk” were fine.
Rusty Joe wrote:
If DM51 is still a mod there, I sure won’t be going back. And indeed, I suppose I wouldn’t go anyway.

He was the reason I left. Horrible man.

It’s a shame because some of the reviews are very high quality, albeit a tad OCD. Informative, well written, with good measurements. And some of the comments were extremely well informed. I don’t have issues with someone saying “that’s junk” as I’m an intelligent adult, and I can reach my own view based on the totality of comments and reviews.

You’re not allowed to criticise here either. Lumen tubes, ill-fated Anduril 2, BLF Lumintop colabs, FM1 etc etc.

You’re allowed to criticize, but that doesn’t mean people have to pay attention to it. Most people think Anduril 2 is great, so they probably disagree when something negative is said about it.


This.

In my experience SB is very good at moderation, not over moderated, and BLF is certainly not a cesspool. Nor is BLF highly controlled with a gavel.
Unpopular opinions will be ignored by those who don’t want to hear them. No one is obligated to adopt other people’s views, but we should be fair and not turn on people for a difference of opinion.
If they are trolling or causing trouble then they need to be dealt with or moderated which is done well here.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 3016
Location: CT, USA

Lightbringer wrote:
The_Flashaholic wrote:
You're not allowed to criticise here either. Lumen tubes, ill-fated Anduril 2, BLF Lumintop colabs, FM1 etc etc.
Hm? Whaddid I miss?

apparently a whole lotta belly achin'! 

all I know is there's a difference  between the community "shutting you down" and the moderators actually shutting you down. You know the worse part is, shamelessly self promoting your own content in a place that you apparently have no respect or regard for.. that's a little.. well, weak. If ya ask me. But no one did! Hah

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

Leif
Leif's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 08/03/2015 - 13:52
Posts: 421
Location: East Hampshire, UK
ChrisGarrett][quote=Leif wrote:
ChrisGarrett wrote:
The_Flashaholic wrote:
I never had a problem with their mods, but then I’m not really a dickhead, so I have that going for me?

It doesn’t take much to get a CPF mod frothing at the mouth, and requiring a change of underwear.

Like I said, I’ve been all over CPF for nine and a half years and but for using the phrase “tits up,” I’ve never had a problem and as you can see, I have a lot of posts there.

Chris

The mods can’t deal with disagreement.

Some of them hated Chinese lights, describing them as crap, so I started a poll of owners which showed that a specific cheap Chinese light was much more reliable than the mods would have us believe. That didn’t go down well. That was many years ago, before Chinese lights became mainstream.

On another occasion I was banned temporarily by DM51 for suggesting that battery technology could change overnight. Having previously worked in academic research for eight years, I know how unpredictable science is. DM51 had a tantrum because I disagreed with one of his posts.

They also have a rather nasty system. They don’t tolerate anyone complaining about moderation. They say you must contact a mod if you disagree with the way they dealt with someone. They then ban you. It avoids having your disagreement publicly visible.

My view is that the moderation of CPF is unpleasant.

The last few times I visited CPF it was full of anodyne posts, people posting an image of a new light, with others posting “congrats” and such like. Fair enough, but it’s not for me.

This forum may contain nuts.
No animals were harmed in the creation of this post.
Be nice to people. It annoys them no end.

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 1967
Leif][quote=ChrisGarrett wrote:
Leif wrote:
ChrisGarrett wrote:
The_Flashaholic wrote:
I never had a problem with their mods, but then I’m not really a dickhead, so I have that going for me?

It doesn’t take much to get a CPF mod frothing at the mouth, and requiring a change of underwear.

Like I said, I’ve been all over CPF for nine and a half years and but for using the phrase “tits up,” I’ve never had a problem and as you can see, I have a lot of posts there.

Chris

The mods can’t deal with disagreement.

Some of them hated Chinese lights, describing them as crap, so I started a poll of owners which showed that a specific cheap Chinese light was much more reliable than the mods would have us believe. That didn’t go down well. That was many years ago, before Chinese lights became mainstream.

On another occasion I was banned temporarily by DM51 for suggesting that battery technology could change overnight. Having previously worked in academic research for eight years, I know how unpredictable science is. DM51 had a tantrum because I disagreed with one of his posts.

They also have a rather nasty system. They don’t tolerate anyone complaining about moderation. They say you must contact a mod if you disagree with the way they dealt with someone. They then ban you. It avoids having your disagreement publicly visible.

My view is that the moderation of CPF is unpleasant.

The last few times I visited CPF it was full of anodyne posts, people posting an image of a new light, with others posting “congrats” and such like. Fair enough, but it’s not for me.

You can probably count the non Chinese lights on one hand.

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1663
Location: Finland

Are there even single manufacturer that doesn’t use any made in China parts? I don’t mind, but I would feel pretty stupid to have a hobby that I would constantly hate because of my bigoted views. LOL

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17104
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Bort wrote:

In my experience SB is very good at moderation, not over moderated, and BLF is certainly not a cesspool. Nor is BLF highly controlled with a gavel.
Unpopular opinions will be ignored by those who don’t want to hear them. No one is obligated to adopt other people’s views, but we should be fair and not turn on people for a difference of opinion.
If they are trolling or causing trouble then they need to be dealt with or moderated which is done well here.

Very well said.

sb does a great job, especially considering he's just one person.  :THUMBS-UP:

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15735
Location: nyc

Actually, there are more than 70,000 SBs, all clones.

Ours is just #56637.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8225
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

raccoon city wrote:

Bort wrote:

In my experience SB is very good at moderation, not over moderated, and BLF is certainly not a cesspool. Nor is BLF highly controlled with a gavel.
Unpopular opinions will be ignored by those who don’t want to hear them. No one is obligated to adopt other people’s views, but we should be fair and not turn on people for a difference of opinion.
If they are trolling or causing trouble then they need to be dealt with or moderated which is done well here.


Very well said.


sb does a great job, especially considering he’s just one person.  alt=:" />


+1

Lightbringer wrote:
Actually, there are more than 70,000 SBs, all clones.

Ours is just #56637.


Where can we find the others, we need them.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Leif
Leif's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 08/03/2015 - 13:52
Posts: 421
Location: East Hampshire, UK

This forum is well moderated, it must take a lot of work.

This forum may contain nuts.
No animals were harmed in the creation of this post.
Be nice to people. It annoys them no end.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 5047
Location: Central North America

I am really glad I found BLF

it is a safe space for me

Forsythe P. Jones
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 08/15/2021 - 00:40
Posts: 413
Location: California

CPF had a rule against discussing moderation issues on the main site, but there was a separate site (CPF Underground) where it was ok to discuss such issues. CPFU was not accessible to the public (i.e. you had to enroll an account and log in to read it at all), but it was reasonably well publicized to CPF members.

Kindle
Kindle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 04/22/2011 - 10:24
Posts: 872
Location: USA
Leif wrote:
This forum is well moderated, it must take a lot of work.

Luckily a lot of the positive atmosphere is because the community tends to self moderate. I don’t mean by shouting down dissenting voices but rather that most of the posters tend to stay on their best behavior because they want it to stay a positive community.

SB did a fantastic job bringing that attitude with him when he formed the board in the beginning and it’s made things easier for everyone.

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 3845
Location: United States , Pa.

Just got an email selling memberships.

Forsythe P. Jones
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 08/15/2021 - 00:40
Posts: 413
Location: California

Someone is trying to sell their CPF membership? Or do you mean the new admin is trying to get people to join, or to join some free membership tier. I haven’t looked there much in the past 5 years or so, except right after the sale was announced I logged in to wish Greta good luck. But I have a quite old account there with a lot of posts.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8225
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
pennzy wrote:
Just got an email selling memberships.

How does one sell a membership?

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

tatasal
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 02/15/2012 - 08:40
Posts: 5653
Location: Far East
Bort wrote:
pennzy wrote:
Just got an email selling memberships.

How does one sell a membership?

Well, perhaps I give you my account name and password for fee, and that’s it!

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17104
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

I've heard of people selling online memberships to places that are tough to get in to, but anyone can create an account at CPF for free, so why pay for a free membership?

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3727
Location: USA, Michigan

Just got another spam from CPF, wanting me to pay a subscription… ah yeah, ok, sure

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8225
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
tatasal wrote:
Bort wrote:
pennzy wrote:
Just got an email selling memberships.

How does one sell a membership?

Well, perhaps I give you my account name and password for fee, and that’s it!


raccoon city wrote:

I’ve heard of people selling online memberships to places that are tough to get in to, but anyone can create an account at CPF for free, so why pay for a free membership?


This

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8225
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

RobertB wrote:
Just got another spam from CPF, wanting me to pay a subscription… ah yeah, ok, sure


I get it now, a premium membership

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17104
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

RobertB wrote:

Just got another spam from CPF, wanting me to pay a subscription... ah yeah, ok, sure

Okay, Supporting Membership looks like a premium subscription.

That makes more sense (though I won't be paying for it.)

 

EDIT:

Bort beat me to the punch.  :BEER:

MtnDon
MtnDon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 18:25
Posts: 3842
Location: Canuk in NM

Lightbringer wrote:
Actually, there are more than 70,000 SBs, all clones.

Ours is just #56637.

now, that makes sense. I always wondered.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8225
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

raccoon city wrote:

RobertB wrote:

Just got another spam from CPF, wanting me to pay a subscription… ah yeah, ok, sure



Bort beat me to the punch.  alt=:" />

Vote Bort for sneaky evil genius Party

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3727
Location: USA, Michigan

What do you get, a free CPF sticker with the premium membership?

KnotSoMuch
KnotSoMuch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2012 - 00:37
Posts: 69
Location: USA

RobertB wrote:
What do you get, a free CPF sticker with the premium membership?

From the mailer... 

"it provides some great account perks to you like the ability to post in the marketplace, turn off ads, unlimited attachments, Supporter badge, larger avatar, and more." 

If any BLF member would like design suggestions or help with tying a customized paracord lanyard or fob for use with lights & knives, please feel free to message me here.

For paracord project ideas, I highly recommend visiting: https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

Pages