Best Sofirn SC31b alternative for my Dad?

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lumen9000
Lumen9000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 09/02/2021 - 09:14
Posts: 287
Location: Sweden
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 17288
Location: nyc
Lumen9000 wrote:
Maybe an alternative? https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78445

He could light up the USS Star Track with that… LOL

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Sari33
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 07/17/2019 - 05:43
Posts: 539
Location: EU

LoL why isn’t called SC31C?

TIFisher
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 11/26/2020 - 11:43
Posts: 474
Location: USA

SC31B…Here ya go. $23.09 with “LABORDAY30” code. Good til midnight tonight, and it comes with a Sofirn 3000 mAh battery. I bought one from these folks a while back. They’re GTG.

https://www.brightlumenshop.com/products/sofirn-sc31b-edc-flashlight?_pos=2&_psq=SC31&_ss=e&_v=1.0&variant=36322300887191

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 843
Location: USA

Lumen9000 wrote:
Maybe an alternative? https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78445

I hear it’s amazing but the built-in charging is an absolute requirement here.

------------------

My Collection

------------------

Lumen9000
Lumen9000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 09/02/2021 - 09:14
Posts: 287
Location: Sweden
CollectEverything wrote:
Lumen9000 wrote:
Maybe an alternative? https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78445
I hear it’s amazing but the built-in charging is an absolute requirement here.

Oh, sorry, just took it for granted in a modern flashlight. Big minus!

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 17288
Location: nyc

Just keep in mind that onboard charging and water-resistance are rarely used in the same sentence.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

JagerLion
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 21:56
Posts: 135
Location: USA
Barry0892 wrote:
wait a minute, no body ever heard of SC31T ? SC31T features SST40, side switch for selecting brightness, and tactical tail switch for momentary-on, USB C charging port, easy UI.

Working in the flashlight business might make you overestimate muggles’ patience. They probably won’t read the instructions and will instead immediately throw them away or eventually lose them. They’ll wonder why the light blinks purple but the battery doesn’t charge on a tail-clicky. Or why it suddenly doesn’t ramp but steps different brightness. Or why it suddenly cycles through these annoying blinking modes. Or a year later a child grabs it for 5 seconds, clicks 4 times, and suddenly it appears to not work at all because the owner was unaware of lockout.

IMO there needs to be a dead simple high(ish) output li-ion muggle flashlight that’s impossible to change anything. No mode groups, not even lockout. USB-C charging, LVP that doesn’t rely on a battery that may disable itself. Fast enough thermal regulation so it never gets too hot which, admittedly, will limit its output.

I shoot magic into the darkness!

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 17288
Location: nyc

Ie, the original ho-hum SC31.

‘Twas the PERFECT light for The Muggle.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

TheIntruder
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 02:11
Posts: 381
Oli wrote:
SC31T 6500k No that’s not friendly to anyone.

How is it not friendly? Like other recent Sofirn lights, it has the handy little symbol to let the user know which way to insert the battery. Silly

Other than its simplicity, I don’t think the SC31B has much going for it. The beam wasn’t that great, mainly a tiny hot spot with some spill, and the 6500k version had one foot into “angry blue” territory. The breathing switch was pretty slick though, for a lower-end budget light.

For a cheap, older model, I’ll take the $18 flash sale SP32A kit with battery/charger on Sofrn’s site all day and any day. It’s one light that actually lives up to its performance specs, with a flat output from a regulated driver that will also take CR123s. The hold-for-off UI is a bit frustrating when switching between lights, and the XP-L2’s fried-egg beam isn’t the prettiest when wall hunting, but still useful, and neither would probably bother a muggle. No on-board charging, but no charging port vulnerability either.

lfb
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 12/08/2020 - 21:19
Posts: 148
Location: Brazil

Lightbringer wrote:
Just keep in mind that onboard charging and water-resistance are rarely used in the same sentence.

Yes, except most of Fenix and Nitercores, because they have inner waterproof tratment on usb port.
CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 843
Location: USA

Well I finally made a decision. Thanks everyone for your ideas and input!

I finally went with the Thrunite T2 Ocean Blue with NW emitter.

Here’s how I did on my requirements:

Quote:
Requirements:
  • Not too expensive because he might lose it where it won’t be found. (farmer)
  • Simple interface, NO Anduril
  • Built-in charging
  • 1000 lumens or better max output
  • robust water resistance so it can potentially survive the clothes washing machine
  • mix of flood and throw

  • More $$$ than I originally planned to spend but the Blue color should help keep it from getting lost
  • I think the Thrunite UI is foolproof and it has one side switch which is what my dad is used to
  • It has the built-in charging so I don’t have to worry about him accidentally dropping the battery and puncturing it (will still educate him on what not to do with the battery)
  • I greatly exceeded the max output requirement. This sucker is nuts for its size. But the nice part is it can actually maintain a fairly high output according to reviews.
  • idk if it would survive the washer but as long as the battery compartment is closed it should at least survive rain. I will point out the importance of keeping the cover closed. As discussed, washer-proof lights probably don’t have charging built-in
  • This thing is full flood. But my brother pointed out that my dad uses lights up close more as he ages so I think as a pocketable light this is a good thing. We can always get him a thrower for Christmas!

Bonuses:

  • It has some semblance of a warranty which is nice.
  • 5000mah capacity battery included and a very efficient medium mode should be great for longer projects.
  • Neutral White!
  • Nice blue color. I kinda want one now… FYI there is a $12 coupon for this on Amazon right now, at least in the US

------------------

My Collection

------------------

Lumen9000
Lumen9000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 09/02/2021 - 09:14
Posts: 287
Location: Sweden

CollectEverything wrote:
Well I finally made a decision. Thanks everyone for your ideas and input!

I finally went with the Thrunite T2 Ocean Blue with NW emitter.

Here’s how I did on my requirements:

Quote:
Requirements:
  • Not too expensive because he might lose it where it won’t be found. (farmer)
  • Simple interface, NO Anduril
  • Built-in charging
  • 1000 lumens or better max output
  • robust water resistance so it can potentially survive the clothes washing machine
  • mix of flood and throw

  • More $$$ than I originally planned to spend but the Blue color should help keep it from getting lost
  • I think the Thrunite UI is foolproof and it has one side switch which is what my dad is used to
  • It has the built-in charging so I don’t have to worry about him accidentally dropping the battery and puncturing it (will still educate him on what not to do with the battery)
  • I greatly exceeded the max output requirement. This sucker is nuts for its size. But the nice part is it can actually maintain a fairly high output according to reviews.
  • idk if it would survive the washer but as long as the battery compartment is closed it should at least survive rain. I will point out the importance of keeping the cover closed. As discussed, washer-proof lights probably don’t have charging built-in
  • This thing is full flood. But my brother pointed out that my dad uses lights up close more as he ages so I think as a pocketable light this is a good thing. We can always get him a thrower for Christmas!

Bonuses:

  • It has some semblance of a warranty which is nice.
  • 5000mah capacity battery included and a very efficient medium mode should be great for longer projects.
  • Neutral White!
  • Nice blue color. I kinda want one now… FYI there is a $12 coupon for this on Amazon right now, at least in the US

Xhp 70 in that small form factor! Wow! Don’t think he’ll be sad getting it! Good choice!

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 843
Location: USA

Lumen9000 wrote:
(snip)

Xhp 70 in that small form factor! Wow! Don’t think he’ll be sad getting it! Good choice!


Thanks! I think this light is a budget/muggle alternative to the Zebralight sc700d. (70.2 emitter with 1 × 21700)

------------------

My Collection

------------------

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2765
Location: Southeast, PA

Good choice and a great looking flashlight!

The difference between Hoarding and Collecting is the illusion of Organization
.
.“I will get one of flashlight from patrol car”

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 52 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4455
Location: United States , Pa.

Now I want one too. Big Smile

TheIntruder
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 02:11
Posts: 381

Since you splurged on dad, and got him such a nice light, now mom is going to need an upgrade…

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 843
Location: USA

TheIntruder wrote:
Since you splurged on dad, and got him such a nice light, now mom is going to need an upgrade…

Believe me, the thought did cross my mind. Big Smile

In my defense, when I bought hers we (immediate family) had an agreed-upon budget cap for presents so I really couldn’t have chosen a better light for the money.

------------------

My Collection

------------------

Pages