Soldered pill on S2+

33 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

negev
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2021 - 09:17
Posts: 347
Location: London
Soldered pill on S2+

I’m watching this tutorial on building a triple S2+: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxKxLvulnag

In that he’s assembling the pill for the head and then screwing it in and then it works. Both of the S2+ lights I have bought recently seem to have the head pill soldered in, there’s no way to remove it without desoldering.

What are the pros and cons of each of these two methods and which should I use if I was going to build a new light?

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6773
Location: Portugal

I believe that your pills are not soldered to the flashlight, but maybe the driver is soldered to the pill.
In that case, you can use some pointy tweezers or pliers, try to make them “fit” near the solder joints and the turn the head in clockwise movement to remove it.

It happenned to me when I bought a convoy S2+ with Biscotti driver with 8 × 7135 chips (4 on each side). I did what I mentioned above, I unsoldered the driver from the pill, cleaned the pill and driver from the remaining solder.

If you could post a photo from your lights maybe we could provide better advise on that, because if you want to make a triple, the way the driver is currently may have some implications for the modding process.

negev
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2021 - 09:17
Posts: 347
Location: London

Thanks, this is one of them:

https://gyazo.com/ccbd7a948f14868b80af830df660d694

I can see tabs next to the solder points so yeah I think you’re right. I’m not going to modify this one though, I have another one on the way and plan to modify that one, just gathering information really.

Are there any particular drivers you’d recommend for a triple? I like the 12-modes function.

TMaxxJJ
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 02/01/2018 - 03:18
Posts: 384
Location: England

Yeah that’ll unscrew out of the head. The solder is there to solder the driver to the pill.

Driver recommendations really depend on what UI you want, and what power and regulation you want out of your light, and what LEDs you plan on using. There are many options really.

negev
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2021 - 09:17
Posts: 347
Location: London

I need 5A for 3xNichia 219B. the 12-modes biscotti driver is a reasonable interface.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15486
Location: nyc

Drivers with 7135s on the spring side often didn’t have clearance for a retaining-ring, so had to be soldered into the pill instead.

1-4 had them on the component side only, vs 5-8 which filled in the remaining spots as needed.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6773
Location: Portugal

negev wrote:
Thanks, this is one of them:

https://gyazo.com/ccbd7a948f14868b80af830df660d694

I can see tabs next to the solder points so yeah I think you’re right. I’m not going to modify this one though, I have another one on the way and plan to modify that one, just gathering information really.

Are there any particular drivers you’d recommend for a triple? I like the 12-modes function.

Yup, like I suspected, that is the driver soldered to the pill!
These drivers with 4 chips on the back make it more difficult to use the brass retaining ring that these lights normally bring (see the brass ring in the image: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1715111464.html), because the ring is large and would make contact with the chips’s legs, provoking a short.

So, Simon opts to solder the ring directly to the pill, so that it makes contact and makes the electric circuit.

In case you want to modify that flashlight you’ll and use the same driver, you can opt for different things:
a) unsolder the driver from the pill and try to get a thinner brass ring from kiriba-ru, so that instead of solder you can use a ring there
b) unsolder the driver from the pill and try to modify the regular brass ring that comes from Simon (maybe you’d need to aks him to send it to you), you’d need to make it slimmer but still maintaining the grooves for you to pick the tweezers/pliers and screw it in. I would prefer the frist option, though.

As for drivers, you can keep that one in case you can perfom the process above, or you can check some other drivers from led4power or eventually from MTN Electronics .

My current favourite one is the H17F from MTN electronics Love But actually, the light I EDC has a driver from led4power.

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1628
Location: Finland
negev wrote:
I need 5A for 3xNichia 219B. the 12-modes biscotti driver is a reasonable interface.

I plan to use this:
https://led4power.com/product/ld-a4-2-12amp-17mm-constant-current-led-fl...

4-6A selectable current for best lumen/heat balance.
Selectable moonlight mode with different output levels.
Different modes to select just like with Convoys driver.

I have one already in use and it’s really easy to setup. Check it out.

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6773
Location: Portugal

BTW, the pill has to be rotated anticlockwise, not clockwise as i mentioned above ! Facepalm

Sorry for the mistake!

negev
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2021 - 09:17
Posts: 347
Location: London

This is odd, I tried to swap the heads for these two lights, which are both S2+, and it seems that each pill will only fit the head that it came with. If i try to screw it into the other one is goes a bit and then jams, as if the threads don’t line up. Each pill is completely smooth in its original light. Are there different versions of the S2+?

TMaxxJJ
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 02/01/2018 - 03:18
Posts: 384
Location: England

There are. Simon swapped the thread design a bit ago. How old is each light? Can you take a close up photo of each pill?

negev
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2021 - 09:17
Posts: 347
Location: London

Ehh its ok I’ve put them back together now, that explains it though

negev
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2021 - 09:17
Posts: 347
Location: London
Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 4086
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

Yes, there are. Some time ago Simon has switched from triangular to trapezoidal threads. This has been discussed on this forum on several occasions

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

negev
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2021 - 09:17
Posts: 347
Location: London

Hmm that’s annoying! I wanted to swap the heads but the newer light came with square threads and the other one I have on order is probably the same. Oh well, more incentive to build a new one xD

NeutralFan
NeutralFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/20/2014 - 19:22
Posts: 1500
Location: Wisconsin, USA

If you get an S2+ with a driver retaining ring, you can easily grind down the inside of the ring to make room for the components on the battery side.

Here’s an example of one of mine:

I’d rather use my flashlight around the house than turn on the lights.

negev
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2021 - 09:17
Posts: 347
Location: London

Are the trapezoid hosts available for sale anywhere?

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6773
Location: Portugal

negev wrote:
Are the trapezoid hosts available for sale anywhere?

Maybe you can ask Simon if he still has them. There are different stores selling S2+ lights, but I’d guess it would be a lottery trying to find a specific one. So, maybe the source is the best solution Wink
chops728
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 1400
Location: Swampland,La

I thought the difference was

The Older S2 Grey or Black They had the bigger pill Slightly longer head

The Newer S2+ All colors ( labeled S2+ on the tube ) shorter pill

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 4086
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

chops728 wrote:
I thought the difference was

The Older S2 Grey or Black They had the bigger pill Slightly longer head

The Newer S2+ All colors ( labeled S2+ on the tube ) shorter pill

Almost correct Wink

The older S2 has a slightly longer head, has a long reflector and a short pill (left)
The newer S2+ (that we know now), has a short reflector and a longer pill (right)

The left combo fits the S2+, but the right combo does not fit the S2.
The inside thread in the S2 head does not go “down” as far as the S2+ thread.

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

negev
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2021 - 09:17
Posts: 347
Location: London

Simon apparently doesn’t have any hosts with the trapezoid threads.

negev
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2021 - 09:17
Posts: 347
Location: London

Is there any way to identify the ones with the old threads other than by the threads themselves?

chops728
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2014 - 16:00
Posts: 1400
Location: Swampland,La

Henk4U2 wrote:
chops728 wrote:
I thought the difference was

The Older S2 Grey or Black They had the bigger pill Slightly longer head

The Newer S2+ All colors ( labeled S2+ on the tube ) shorter pill

Almost correct Wink

The older S2 has a slightly longer head, has a long reflector and a short pill (left)
The newer S2+ (that we know now), has a short reflector and a longer pill (right)

The left combo fits the S2+, but the right combo does not fit the S2.
The inside thread in the S2 head does not go “down” as far as the S2+ thread.

Oh well I tried —- I’ve only built 20-30 S2s—- You turn 60 and everything goes to S—T

Haukkeli
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 06/24/2021 - 05:27
Posts: 71
Location: Suomi

Henk4U2 wrote:
chops728 wrote:
I thought the difference was

The Older S2 Grey or Black They had the bigger pill Slightly longer head

The Newer S2+ All colors ( labeled S2+ on the tube ) shorter pill

Almost correct Wink

The older S2 has a slightly longer head, has a long reflector and a short pill (left)
The newer S2+ (that we know now), has a short reflector and a longer pill (right)

The left combo fits the S2+, but the right combo does not fit the S2.
The inside thread in the S2 head does not go “down” as far as the S2+ thread.

After seeing your picture I started to wonder, if you could built S2+ with S2 pill and S2+ reflector. Then it might be possibe to use 18500 tube with 18650 battery. Kind of full size shorty S2+.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15486
Location: nyc

With a TIR lens, and possibly needing to replace the driver spring with a brass nubbin, you can stick an 18500 in an S2+ with a shorty tube.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Haukkeli
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 06/24/2021 - 05:27
Posts: 71
Location: Suomi

Well, maybe I someday try to build 18650 using S2+ with Jaxman 18500 tube and S2 pill. Kaidomain has those pills separately for sale if I remember correctly.

NeutralFan
NeutralFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/20/2014 - 19:22
Posts: 1500
Location: Wisconsin, USA

I wish Jaxman still sold hosts. I’ve thought about buying an E2L, but I don’t think dealing with the thermal glue would be worth it.

I’d rather use my flashlight around the house than turn on the lights.

JenkinsMatti
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 08/23/2021 - 18:26
Posts: 27

chops728 wrote:
You turn 60 and everything goes to S—T
I have heard that said many times. I am glad I am nowhere close to finding out!
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6773
Location: Portugal

Haukkeli wrote:
After seeing your picture I started to wonder, if you could built S2+ with S2 pill and S2+ reflector. Then it might be possibe to use 18500 tube with 18650 battery. Kind of full size shorty S2+.

Nope, you can’t!
The logic is precisely inverse to what you say! If you use the S2 reflector/pill in a S2+ (which is already shorter than the S2) you will eventually reduce the space you already have for the 18650 battery with and 18650 tube.

The mod you can do to have that configuration is to turn the S2+ into a triple, by using the S2 pill in a S2+ .
I’ve done that mod inspired in some other people’s mod, too.

You have mine here, and you have this thread of g_damian, and this CRX thread, and this Firelight2 thread, and even some comfychair .

See those and you’ll be able to fit an 18650 into an S2+ with an 18500 tube Wink

Haukkeli
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 06/24/2021 - 05:27
Posts: 71
Location: Suomi

MascaratumB wrote:
Haukkeli wrote:
After seeing your picture I started to wonder, if you could built S2+ with S2 pill and S2+ reflector. Then it might be possibe to use 18500 tube with 18650 battery. Kind of full size shorty S2+.

Nope, you can’t!
The logic is precisely inverse to what you say! If you use the S2 reflector/pill in a S2+ (which is already shorter than the S2) you will eventually reduce the space you already have for the 18650 battery with and 18650 tube.

The mod you can do to have that configuration is to turn the S2+ into a triple, by using the S2 pill in a S2+ .
I’ve done that mod inspired in some other people’s mod, too.

You have mine here, and you have this thread of g_damian, and this CRX thread, and this Firelight2 thread, and even some comfychair .

See those and you’ll be able to fit an 18650 into an S2+ with an 18500 tube Wink


I thought about using S2 pill and S2+ reflector. Isn’t the total lenght then less than using standard S2+ pill and reflector combo?
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6773
Location: Portugal
Haukkeli wrote:
I thought about using S2 pill and S2+ reflector. Isn’t the total lenght then less than using standard S2+ pill and reflector combo?

Sorry, I misread your post! Facepalm
Yes, indeed, the S2+ reflector and the S2 pill make it shorter! Still, to make an 18650 fit there, it is virtually impossible.
Below there is a photo showing how much an 18650 stands out the tailcap+18500 tube. Allo a margin of 4-5mm of compression there, due to the spring on the switch side.

On the side you see the S2 pill w/ S2+ reflector and the pill with optics of a triple. Even with that margin, you wouldn’t be able to fit it.
Unless the driver and the switch base were almost “flat”, and still, I have my doubts that you could fit an 18650 there.

Oh, and please note that due to the differences in threads, not all the S2 pills fit S2+ heads!

Pages