advice on torches bang for buck

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stevieb
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 09/22/2021 - 07:43
Posts: 3
Location: UK
advice on torches bang for buck

Hi Hive mind . I’m in the UK, and im a mountain instructor. I’ve also recently started with a mountain rescue team so ive got some good headtorches, however, they don’t have a great throw that ill need in montain rescue – I can’t use my headtorches to pick out objects a long way away. The team has a few big Led Lenser lights which are great but big and bulky.

What I’d like is a recommendation for a buy off the shelf, I’m too nervous to build my own, supplemental hand held torch which would fit in a pocket and be bright with a long throw. It would also need to be as weather resistant and rugged as possible oh and not too pricey cos its a personal purchase. Ive looked through thge forums and there is so much information and knowledge there that i felt my mind would blow!!!

thanks for your help

Lumen9000
Lumen9000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/02/2021 - 09:14
Posts: 97
Location: Sweden

Hi!

Well, you have smaller LEP-s as of today like: https://lumintoplighting.com/products/lumintop-thor-ii-1800-metersthrow-lep-flashlight-154 II Wich can be found for 120-140 usd with promocodes often.
or the: Sofire IF22A for a regular LED (and not as pricey).
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79054 IF22A

Maybe a good start?

YuvalS
YuvalS's picture
Online
Last seen: 46 sec ago
Joined: 09/26/2018 - 10:39
Posts: 477

Check out Fireflies T1R or the Acebeam E10

My FW repository

My BLF/OL contest entries: 7th 8th 9th 

TMaxxJJ
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 02/01/2018 - 03:18
Posts: 416
Location: England

How about the good old Convoy C8+? What are your existing head torches? Do any of them use 18650’s? For the Convoy you would need a battery and charger if you don’t already have that. Failing that, anything from Sofirn (or Wurkkos) with a bundled battery would be a good choice to get you started. As mentioned, the IF22A looks like a great new offering by them.

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 18 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4619
Location: Upstate NY

When I hear rugged I think of fenix. Unfortunately, not all their lights are offered in NW.

If I were looking for search and rescue light, pocketable would not be a requirement. Holster but not so bulky it gets in the way… just my opinions…

YuvalS
YuvalS's picture
Online
Last seen: 46 sec ago
Joined: 09/26/2018 - 10:39
Posts: 477

dthrckt wrote:
When I hear rugged I think of fenix.

After putting Fenix light in tough conditions while caving I am not sure I agree with your opinion Smile

My FW repository

My BLF/OL contest entries: 7th 8th 9th 

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 18 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4619
Location: Upstate NY
YuvalS wrote:

dthrckt wrote:
When I hear rugged I think of fenix.

After putting Fenix light in tough conditions while caving I am not sure I agree with your opinion Smile

Have you posted somewhere what happened? I’ve dropped my fd65 so many times, ~1m. not on solid rock though…yet

JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 2245
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
YuvalS wrote:

dthrckt wrote:
When I hear rugged I think of fenix.

After putting Fenix light in tough conditions while caving I am not sure I agree with your opinion Smile

Not to challenge you, especially since I’ve owned neither, but are you saying you find Fireflies more robust than Fenix?

JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 2245
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

dthrckt wrote:

If I were looking for search and rescue light, pocketable would not be a requirement. Holster but not so bulky it gets in the way… just my opinions…

I totally agree with this. 21700 based with a spare cell slot would be ideal imo. For a really budget and practical option I like to recommend the Convoy L21B with SFT40.

What range do you need? What terrain and conditions? Runtime?

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6877
Location: Portugal

Welcome to BLF, Stevieb Thumbs Up

Some questions:
- what size is ideal for you (since you say that the lights your team elements are too big)?
- what is your budget?

YuvalS
YuvalS's picture
Online
Last seen: 46 sec ago
Joined: 09/26/2018 - 10:39
Posts: 477

JaredM wrote:
YuvalS wrote:

dthrckt wrote:
When I hear rugged I think of fenix.

After putting Fenix light in tough conditions while caving I am not sure I agree with your opinion Smile

Not to challenge you, especially since I've owned neither, but are you saying you find Fireflies more robust than Fenix?


No, I was offering Fireflies since it has very narrow beam and I don't think SAR requires super robustness as in caving.

My comment was only regarding Fanix which in my experience are not as robust as some people think. The H series is popular light for caving since it is compact and cheap but I have seen many Fenix lights fail    

My FW repository

My BLF/OL contest entries: 7th 8th 9th 

Quadrupel
Quadrupel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 12/03/2017 - 10:40
Posts: 731
Location: Lithuania

Someone pls explain for gentleman why search lights are big.

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 359
Location: USA

The range of throw will be limited if you stick to more compact options. A large reflector is practically a requirement on a true searchlight. But maybe there is smaller light that will throw well enough for your needs. How far does this light need to be able to throw?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collection: TN42, TN40S, Catapult V6, SP36 BLF, sc700d, sc64c LE, D4V2 CuZn, D4V2 CuTi, D4V2 Al x2, KR4 Al x2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wishlist: Acebeam K75, Zebralight sc600w mk IV plus, Convoy M3-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6877
Location: Portugal

Not a flashlight advice, but a channel that shows search and rescue flashlights,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuYJBZzpgeOsU77mDgIWl9g

Lumen9000
Lumen9000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/02/2021 - 09:14
Posts: 97
Location: Sweden
MascaratumB wrote:
Not a flashlight advice, but a channel that shows search and rescue flashlights, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuYJBZzpgeOsU77mDgIWl9g

Yes, the comparisons at the end of this video will give a quite good understanding of typical setups:
https://youtu.be/W68DWHYhotw YouTube channel, comparison video

Lumen9000
Lumen9000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/02/2021 - 09:14
Posts: 97
Location: Sweden

And off topic, I can see why they call it flashoholics.
Some person coming in asking for an advice, gets jumped by 10 friendly persons: “of course you have to try this one, but this is also good. Come join us in our addiction, come flash with us” cut your credit card now, and run. RUN!

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 359
Location: USA

Lumen9000 wrote:
And off topic, I can see why they call it flashoholics.
Some person coming in asking for an advice, gets jumped by 10 friendly persons: “of course you have to try this one, but this is also good. Come join us in our addiction, come flash with us” cut your credit card now, and run. RUN!
Well at least flashlights come in handy. It’s popular to collect lots of things that are less practical. (rocks, stamps, etc)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collection: TN42, TN40S, Catapult V6, SP36 BLF, sc700d, sc64c LE, D4V2 CuZn, D4V2 CuTi, D4V2 Al x2, KR4 Al x2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wishlist: Acebeam K75, Zebralight sc600w mk IV plus, Convoy M3-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lumen9000
Lumen9000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/02/2021 - 09:14
Posts: 97
Location: Sweden
CollectEverything wrote:
Lumen9000 wrote:
And off topic, I can see why they call it flashoholics. Some person coming in asking for an advice, gets jumped by 10 friendly persons: “of course you have to try this one, but this is also good. Come join us in our addiction, come flash with us” cut your credit card now, and run. RUN!
Well at least flashlights come in handy. It’s popular to collect lots of things that are less practical. (rocks, stamps, etc)

Well, can’t argue with you! I have five flashlights incoming on the mail, or was it six? Big Smile

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 359
Location: USA
Lumen9000 wrote:
CollectEverything wrote:
Lumen9000 wrote:
And off topic, I can see why they call it flashoholics. Some person coming in asking for an advice, gets jumped by 10 friendly persons: “of course you have to try this one, but this is also good. Come join us in our addiction, come flash with us” cut your credit card now, and run. RUN!
Well at least flashlights come in handy. It’s popular to collect lots of things that are less practical. (rocks, stamps, etc)

Well, can’t argue with you! I have five flashlights incoming on the mail, or was it six? Big Smile


Haha I guess it is Christmas all year round! Big Smile I “only” have 13 lights so far and I’m trying to limit myself to one shipment in the mail at a time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collection: TN42, TN40S, Catapult V6, SP36 BLF, sc700d, sc64c LE, D4V2 CuZn, D4V2 CuTi, D4V2 Al x2, KR4 Al x2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wishlist: Acebeam K75, Zebralight sc600w mk IV plus, Convoy M3-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stevieb
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 09/22/2021 - 07:43
Posts: 3
Location: UK

Thanks for the feedback. It’s like being a kid in a sweet shop but there’s so much choice you can’t make up your mind!!” I loved the IF22A but the only place I found them was on Ali express and then when I ordered it said they couldn’t deliver to my country, (UK) !!! The Convoy L21B with SFT40 looks great but I have the added expense of batteries and charger, I don’t think it’s rechargeable in the torch like the IF22A so I’d have to buy batteries and a charger.

merlot
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 21:25
Posts: 55
Location: UK
Stevieb wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. It’s like being a kid in a sweet shop but there’s so much choice you can’t make up your mind!!” I loved the IF22A but the only place I found them was on Ali express and then when I ordered it said they couldn’t deliver to my country, (UK) !!! The Convoy L21B with SFT40 looks great but I have the added expense of batteries and charger, I don’t think it’s rechargeable in the torch like the IF22A so I’d have to buy batteries and a charger.

The Convoy M21D is a compact thrower with a 21700 battery and onboard charging. It normally comes with an XHP70.2 which is bright but not the throwiest LED. You could ask Simon to swap it out for an sft-40 or something, he’s very obliging like that.

TMaxxJJ
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 02/01/2018 - 03:18
Posts: 416
Location: England

Stevieb wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. It’s like being a kid in a sweet shop but there’s so much choice you can’t make up your mind!!” I loved the IF22A but the only place I found them was on Ali express and then when I ordered it said they couldn’t deliver to my country, (UK) !!! The Convoy L21B with SFT40 looks great but I have the added expense of batteries and charger, I don’t think it’s rechargeable in the torch like the IF22A so I’d have to buy batteries and a charger.

How odd. I’ve ordered many things from the Sofirn Ali store with no problems.

I’ve just had a look and I’m able to purchase the IF22A with shipping to the UK. Are you definitely on the official store? Try this link – https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003092164967.html?spm=5261.promotion...

There’s even a coupon for it – https://budgetlightforum.com/node/72222?page=8

Lumen9000
Lumen9000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/02/2021 - 09:14
Posts: 97
Location: Sweden

Then there is larger SBT90, multi -cell throwers. But i guess they might be to big for your specific purpouse.

Stevieb
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 09/22/2021 - 07:43
Posts: 3
Location: UK

Thanks people . I got a Sofire IF22A delivered through the post, it took ages but it is worth it. Micro nav and area searches are much easier now I can light up the area like daylight and its small and light enough to not be an issue in your pocket or top of the sack. I dont know how long it lasts yet but its still going strong after a whole evening of intermittent use. Theres lots ot interest from my team mates and i think we’ll be getting some more.

Lumen9000
Lumen9000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/02/2021 - 09:14
Posts: 97
Location: Sweden

Stevieb wrote:
Thanks people . I got a Sofire IF22A delivered through the post, it took ages but it is worth it. Micro nav and area searches are much easier now I can light up the area like daylight and its small and light enough to not be an issue in your pocket or top of the sack. I dont know how long it lasts yet but its still going strong after a whole evening of intermittent use. Theres lots ot interest from my team mates and i think we’ll be getting some more.

It’s a great light!