What flashlights are/have you planned to order for Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10834
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3 // I get way more privmsgs than I can respond to, so please ask in a public thread if possible, for a faster answer.
Bort wrote:
We need muggle flashlights as well as our hot rod lights

Yeah.

I was going to get some really nice lights for people for holiday gifts… but when I gathered info about what they like and want, I realized they wouldn’t even like the sort of lights I think are good. So I ended up gifting a bunch of leftover Sofirn lights instead. They’re much more aligned with what muggles like.

peg matite
peg matite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 01/02/2019 - 17:47
Posts: 456
Location: EOK

Streamlight Dualie (3 AA) on sale from Amazon.

Never know when you will need an intrinsically safe light…I told myself before mashing the Buy button.

Banana and black color scheme really stands out. Might keep it in my cluttered garage.

WL27
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/15/2021 - 19:00
Posts: 20

I bought 5 Flashlights on the 11.11 Sale. On BF the prices were a little bit higher again so i just bought 1 the Sofirn S11, but they havent shipped it yet..

Bort
Bort's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8531
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
ToyKeeper wrote:
Bort wrote:
We need muggle flashlights as well as our hot rod lights

Yeah.

I was going to get some really nice lights for people for holiday gifts… but when I gathered info about what they like and want, I realized they wouldn’t even like the sort of lights I think are good. So I ended up gifting a bunch of leftover Sofirn lights instead. They’re much more aligned with what muggles like.


IKR
I don’t have any of your anduril firmware lights (been wanting to try one but been money constrained) but something muggle friendly would be nice. Interestingly its easier to find such lights at big box stores than at a Chinese website. But the lumens and batteries needed are not great.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 16186
Location: nyc
ToyKeeper wrote:
I was going to get some really nice lights for people for holiday gifts… but when I gathered info about what they like and want, I realized they wouldn’t even like the sort of lights I think are good. So I ended up gifting a bunch of leftover Sofirn lights instead. They’re much more aligned with what muggles like.

I still say that for The Muggle™, there’s nothing better’n something like a ’501 or ’502 with a 1-mode sane drop-in. Or at worst, a 2-mode that always comes on in a reasonable low (eg, 200lm) and can be kicked up with a half-press to 500lm or so.

Not traumatic enough to overheat, “low” is still plenty of light vs an old-timey Mag, so even if they forget how to kick it up to high, it won’t run down the cell for a long time.

Throw in a cell with built-in usb charger, and it should be manageable for anyone who can a) charge a cellphone by plugging it in, and b) swap batteries in a typical craplight.

Give it a once/10sec blink for when it dips below, say, 3.5V, and once/5sec if it gets critical at 3.2V or so (it’ll drop like a rock soon after). Wait ‘til 2.whatever, and it’d be dead in seconds, leaving The Muggle™ little if any time to react, ie, running to charge it before… whups.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10834
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3 // I get way more privmsgs than I can respond to, so please ask in a public thread if possible, for a faster answer.
Bort wrote:
IKR

Yeah. It seems that, for muggle lights, the optimal design has a built-in charger, sturdy host, intense cool white beam, a safe maximum level, and a very limited feature set. Last time I tried to give someone a nice light, they ended up letting it gather dust while they used a cheap 8000K zoomie instead.

So when I was looking at lights which are really fancy, with neutral beams and firefly-to-firestarter output ranges, and no charger… I realized it’d be a better idea to instead gift some of the “boring” lights I’ve had sitting in a box.

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 548
Location: USA
Bort wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
Bort wrote:
We need muggle flashlights as well as our hot rod lights

Yeah.

I was going to get some really nice lights for people for holiday gifts… but when I gathered info about what they like and want, I realized they wouldn’t even like the sort of lights I think are good. So I ended up gifting a bunch of leftover Sofirn lights instead. They’re much more aligned with what muggles like.


IKR
I don’t have any of your anduril firmware lights (been wanting to try one but been money constrained) but something muggle friendly would be nice. Interestingly its easier to find such lights at big box stores than at a Chinese website. But the lumens and batteries needed are not great.

I got my Mom a Sofirn SC31b and she liked it a lot. She tried to buy one for Dad but they’d stopped making them and she got the SC31 Pro by accident. Dad has no interest in learning the interface of Anduril and they both prefer the interface of the SC31b. I think it still gets used but there is a lot of fumbling. I also discovered they were charging it by plugging it into a USB port on the computer… Facepalm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collection: TN42, TN40S, Catapult V6, SP36 BLF, sc700d, sc64c LE, D4V2 CuZn, D4V2 CuTi, D4V2 Al x2, KR4 Al x2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wishlist: Acebeam K75, Zebralight sc600w mk IV plus, Convoy M3-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bort
Bort's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8531
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
CollectEverything wrote:
Bort wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
Bort wrote:
We need muggle flashlights as well as our hot rod lights

Yeah.

I was going to get some really nice lights for people for holiday gifts… but when I gathered info about what they like and want, I realized they wouldn’t even like the sort of lights I think are good. So I ended up gifting a bunch of leftover Sofirn lights instead. They’re much more aligned with what muggles like.


IKR
I don’t have any of your anduril firmware lights (been wanting to try one but been money constrained) but something muggle friendly would be nice. Interestingly its easier to find such lights at big box stores than at a Chinese website. But the lumens and batteries needed are not great.

I got my Mom a Sofirn SC31b and she liked it a lot. She tried to buy one for Dad but they’d stopped making them and she got the SC31 Pro by accident. Dad has no interest in learning the interface of Anduril and they both prefer the interface of the SC31b. I think it still gets used but there is a lot of fumbling. I also discovered they were charging it by plugging it into a USB port on the computer… Facepalm

The USB port does work, it just takes longer.
I ended up giving my folks an old Romisen 1 mode XPG light. 1AA battery, 100 lumens, 1 mode. 1 hour-ish battery life. They happy.
Also a Klarus P1A, same idea, 1AA Eneloop, twist head for high. I left it on low. Also happy.
ToyKeeper wrote:
Bort wrote:
IKR

Yeah. It seems that, for muggle lights, the optimal design has a built-in charger, sturdy host, intense cool white beam, a safe maximum level, and a very limited feature set. Last time I tried to give someone a nice light, they ended up letting it gather dust while they used a cheap 8000K zoomie instead.

So when I was looking at lights which are really fancy, with neutral beams and firefly-to-firestarter output ranges, and no charger… I realized it’d be a better idea to instead gift some of the “boring” lights I’ve had sitting in a box.


I know what you mean, I would change it to 5000K though, they may not care but over time it will subconsciously sink in.
I suggested a simple light to Sofirn in their giveaway thread, no idea if they will actually listen.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

TermsakC
TermsakC's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 06/05/2021 - 22:47
Posts: 388
Location: Singapore

I had wanted a Green Olight Swivel. But I ended up getting a Black, because it came in a bundle with OTool, which I found quite interesting and useful.

Maybe will get a Green Swivel at the December Olight Year-End Sale — if I still have enough savings. So many discount offers have emerged for 12/12 Sale which I find too tempting to miss.

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 548
Location: USA

bort wrote:

The USB port does work, it just takes longer.
I ended up giving my folks an old Romisen 1 mode XPG light. 1AA battery, 100 lumens, 1 mode. 1 hour-ish battery life. They happy.
Also a Klarus P1A, same idea, 1AA Eneloop, twist head for high. I left it on low. Also happy.
Oh I know it works, but it would take forever by comparison.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collection: TN42, TN40S, Catapult V6, SP36 BLF, sc700d, sc64c LE, D4V2 CuZn, D4V2 CuTi, D4V2 Al x2, KR4 Al x2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wishlist: Acebeam K75, Zebralight sc600w mk IV plus, Convoy M3-C
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pages