Are there any better charger to use it exclusively with AA/AAA NiMH Batteries?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
YoSoyOscar
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 01/27/2022 - 17:11
Posts: 4
Location: Spain
Are there any better charger to use it exclusively with AA/AAA NiMH Batteries?

I need one charger for my AA/AAA NiMH batteries, because I want to improve the old charger I use.

I was looking for good information about chargers because I had any idea about this. I found the HKJ´s web (lygte-info.dk) and I consider it very helpful. Normally, it is difficult to find quality information like that.
I centered, after finding that web, in the termination ways chargers use, and I found that the “Opus BT-C700” is a very good charger for this chemistry.
I am looking for a charger without trickle mode, because I like to charge my LSD batteries during the night and I don´t like to be calculating when I need to take the batteries off from the charger.
I like too in this charger the low current for charging, all the modes it offer and the 4 independent channels for charging.

My worries appears because I can´t find good information to compare other chargers with this I like (specially termination ways). In the other hand, HKJ don´t review a lot of chargers, and this unit was reviewed 7 years ago.
If possible, I would like the charger could be used with an usb-c, instead a propietary source, but this is not a must for me.

In conclusion, anyone could help me finding a exclusively NiMH charger with similar features like the unit of Opus I told before? I can accept recomendations of pages of chargers reviews similiar that the page I wrote before, and any site with quality information about this type of chargers.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help you could give me.

rfrazier
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 05/03/2022 - 14:09
Posts: 18
Location: SouthEastern USA

I’ve been using batteries and chargers from https://mahaenergy.com/ for a long time for NiMH. I don’t know how they compare to items normally discussed here. I also don’t know if they trickle charge.

I have the this and like it but it’s discontinued. Some vendors may still have them in stock.

https://mahaenergy.com/mh-c9000/

This is the new version, which I have not tried, but I would expect it to be good.

https://mahaenergy.com/mh-c9000pro/

I have this from years ago and I like it, but the fan is failing. It shows as unavailable but you might be able to find a modern version. I don’t know if it trickle charges.

(Opus) BT-C3400 With Car Adapter Universal Battery Charger
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015LB8DFG/

Ron

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 18482
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

I hope you enjoy your stay, YoSoyOscar!

214_milla

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 1118
Location: USA

Since you’re charging overnight, the Panasonic / Eneloop branded smart chargers should be fine for you. The important feature is that it should have individual charging. Avoid chargers that indicate you need to charge either 2 or 4 batteries at a time.

The Eneloop BQ-CC17 and BQ-CC75 are smart chargers usually sold as a package including 4 standard capacity Eneloops. They take about 6-8 hours to fully charge an empty battery.

The BQ-CC55 is similar but can charge cells fully in 4-5 hours. If only charging one or two cells, it can actually double the charge rate and complete in about 2 hours.

These are all rated as good chargers by HKJ. They also are not expensive. The main advantage of the Opus BT-C700 is if you want the analyzer function to tell you how much capacity your cells have

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 16896
Location: nyc

If I already have my Opus 3100 out, I’ll use that, otherwise I just drop any into my LK101 and be done with it.

If I’m testing new acquisitions, yeah, I’ll dig out the Ope, but my LK is usually… around… so I just use that for one-offs.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Johnny_Bravo
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 02/22/2022 - 16:01
Posts: 33
Location: In Mamas House

I have the C700, C3100 and also other Opus chargers, IIRC all the chargers do trickle charge which made it not good for leave the cells in all the night. It´s very compact which means it heats clearly while charging. Another thing I noticed is that it have problems with some older or cheap cells to terminate, the C3100 have not this problem. If the displayed current is correct the trickle is low. I would assume id you load the cells overnight just use a low charge current.

I don´t know your budget but a good charger is the Vapcell S4 plus. It´s more expensive than the C700 and much bigger, it´s also for some kinds of LiIon. It also do trickle charge but the HJK-review shows it´s low and should not cause problems. It have also a discharging/analyzing function. The only thing at least for some ppl is the beep signal which appears after a cell is ready.

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Vapcell%20S4%2B%20fast%2...

I don´t have Panasonic chargers so I have no experience with it but I read in the past these chargers are picky with Non-Eneloop-cells; it lacks charge current options, the charge current depends on how many cells are loaded concurrent.

Maybe these are other interesting chargers:

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Zanflare%20C4%20UK.html

Charger with Micro-USB

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Nitecore%20UM4%20UK.html

YoSoyOscar
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 01/27/2022 - 17:11
Posts: 4
Location: Spain

iamlucky13 wrote:
Since you’re charging overnight, the Panasonic / Eneloop branded smart chargers should be fine for you. The important feature is that it should have individual charging. Avoid chargers that indicate you need to charge either 2 or 4 batteries at a time.

The Eneloop BQ-CC17 and BQ-CC75 are smart chargers usually sold as a package including 4 standard capacity Eneloops. They take about 6-8 hours to fully charge an empty battery.

The BQ-CC55 is similar but can charge cells fully in 4-5 hours. If only charging one or two cells, it can actually double the charge rate and complete in about 2 hours.

These are all rated as good chargers by HKJ. They also are not expensive. The main advantage of the Opus BT-C700 is if you want the analyzer function to tell you how much capacity your cells have

I like those chargers. The main problem is the lack of the rest of the functions. I like too the funtions do discharge and refresh the batteries that the Opus unit has.
On the other hand, for those chargers, HKJ´s say that they could have problems with very used batteries, because of the high current they use.

YoSoyOscar
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 01/27/2022 - 17:11
Posts: 4
Location: Spain

Johnny_Bravo wrote:
I have the C700, C3100 and also other Opus chargers, IIRC all the chargers do trickle charge which made it not good for leave the cells in all the night. It´s very compact which means it heats clearly while charging. Another thing I noticed is that it have problems with some older or cheap cells to terminate, the C3100 have not this problem. If the displayed current is correct the trickle is low. I would assume id you load the cells overnight just use a low charge current.

I don´t know your budget but a good charger is the Vapcell S4 plus. It´s more expensive than the C700 and much bigger, it´s also for some kinds of LiIon. It also do trickle charge but the HJK-review shows it´s low and should not cause problems. It have also a discharging/analyzing function. The only thing at least for some ppl is the beep signal which appears after a cell is ready.

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Vapcell%20S4%2B%20fast%2...

I don´t have Panasonic chargers so I have no experience with it but I read in the past these chargers are picky with Non-Eneloop-cells; it lacks charge current options, the charge current depends on how many cells are loaded concurrent.

Maybe these are other interesting chargers:

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Zanflare%20C4%20UK.html

Charger with Micro-USB

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Nitecore%20UM4%20UK.html

I have no idea about trickle mode, but HKJ say the C700 hasn´t got that mode. I haven´t got any more information about it.
The problem with the C3100 is that it is considerably bigger because of the chemistry it accepts. I think I read some bad comment about it, but I don´t remember it exactly.
When you speak about the problem of the termination of the C700 with old batteries, how is this? The charger don´t recognize the battery was finished, or something similar?
For now, I will try to find any charger that works only with NiMH chemistry. If I can´t find any good option, I will find some charger that admits too different chemistry.

FollowspotDude
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 05/19/2020 - 01:21
Posts: 48
Location: USA

I swear by the Maha chargers. My original C9000 from…15(?) years ago is still going strong. I’ve bought the more recent C9000Pro and it’s a worthy successor. I also have a few C800S chargers that have to be at least 12 years old and they’re still working fine, day-in, day-out. The display faded a little on the one but it’s still readable and still working.

I have noticed that some of my Eneloops are starting to get “old” and many of the smart chargers turn their noses up at them. For those, I toss them in an Xtar VC2S or VC4S and they’re quite happy with them.

NeutralFan
NeutralFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 03/20/2014 - 19:22
Posts: 1853
Location: Wisconsin, USA

I use an “old” La Crosse Technology BC700-CBP exclusively for my AA and AAA batteries, but they don’t sell them anymore.

It also trickle charges at the end of charging. It states: “Automatic trickle charge when charging has completed to ensure maximum battery capacity.”

If and when it dies, I’ll use either the Panasonic BQ-CC17 or BQ-CC55 that came with my eneloop batteries.

I’d rather use my flashlight around the house than turn on the lights.

Xyrium
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2021 - 10:25
Posts: 50
Location: United States

Agree with the Maha, mine is still kicking.

 

Interesting story. I recently had a Keepower 18650 flake out on me...wouldn't take a charge from my Nitecore UMS2. I pulled it out of the Nitecore, dropped it into an old Zanflare C4, ran the NOR Test, and 24 hours later it was fully charged.

 

Not everything new is better....

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 1105
Location: Miami, Florida

NeutralFan wrote:
I use an “old” La Crosse Technology BC700-CBP exclusively for my AA and AAA batteries, but they don’t sell them anymore.

It also trickle charges at the end of charging. It states: “Automatic trickle charge when charging has completed to ensure maximum battery capacity.”

If and when it dies, I’ll use either the Panasonic BQ-CC17 or BQ-CC55 that came with my eneloop batteries.

I bought a LaCrosse BC-700 over 10 years ago, along with my Maha C-9000 and I’ve never seen the message you speak of.

Chris

Johnny_Bravo
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 02/22/2022 - 16:01
Posts: 33
Location: In Mamas House

YoSoyOscar wrote:

I have no idea about trickle mode, but HKJ say the C700 hasn´t got that mode. I haven´t got any more information about it.
The problem with the C3100 is that it is considerably bigger because of the chemistry it accepts. I think I read some bad comment about it, but I don´t remember it exactly.
When you speak about the problem of the termination of the C700 with old batteries, how is this? The charger don´t recognize the battery was finished, or something similar?
For now, I will try to find any charger that works only with NiMH chemistry. If I can´t find any good option, I will find some charger that admits too different chemistry.

If the C700 is finished and shows “full” you can switch the display and see it shows values like 8mA, 14mA etc. so I think it trickle. Don´t know if there are different revisions on the sale which different behaviour.

The C3100 have a annoying fan and because it´s basically a NiMH charger some guys stated the charging method is not good for LiIon, but I never used a LiIon with it.

The C700 sometimes load too much mAh in some cells, like 1400mAh in a 1100mAh-cell which is getting hot and the discharge function maybe shows only 950mAh. Not only on old cells, there are some cheaper brands I get on Ebay and Amazon. It should cause no problems with good cells like the Eneloops. But I saw the same/similar thing with some other chargers.

NeutralFan wrote:
I use an “old” La Crosse Technology BC700-CBP exclusively for my AA and AAA batteries, but they don’t sell them anymore.

I also have this charger, labeled as Technoline. I use it extreme rarely because the absolut shitty buttons drives me crazy becaus it´s more an accident if it works. I had also the problem it shows “null” if a cell with a low voltage is inserted

Mandrake50
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2022 - 20:02
Posts: 45
Location: United States

YoSoyOscar wrote:

I have no idea about trickle mode, but HKJ say the C700 hasn´t got that mode. I haven´t got any more information about it.
The problem with the C3100 is that it is considerably bigger because of the chemistry it accepts. I think I read some bad comment about it, but I don´t remember it exactly.
When you speak about the problem of the termination of the C700 with old batteries, how is this? The charger don´t recognize the battery was finished, or something similar?
For now, I will try to find any charger that works only with NiMH chemistry. If I can´t find any good option, I will find some charger that admits too different chemistry.

Trickle charging is not something you should need to worry about as long as it is low. A few hours left on trickle will not damage cells. In fact it is designed to replace the self discharge of the cells if left in the charger after it has terminated. Most chargers (all that I have seen tested) will actually pull power from the cells if you leave them in it for a period of time (and if it doe NOT do some level of trickle charging).
More than that, Silver Fox did lots of testing on many chargers. Many would add up to 5 percent to the capacity of the cells when they were left in the charger for a few hours after termination.
Having a low level of trickle charging is not something to worry about for overnight charging. At least, I wouldn’t let it become the determining factor in buying a charger.
If the new C9000PRO is like the ones I have used for years, the 50 mA that it trickles at will do nothing but help the batteries if left in it for a few hours after termination. (for NiMH cells, NOT LiION)

Mandrake50
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2022 - 20:02
Posts: 45
Location: United States

One suggestion, if you charge a bunch of cells and are not worried about data or numbers, but just a great charger for up to 8 cells:
Powerex MH-C800S.
It has slow and fast charging and can “condition” cells (charge/discharge/charge) . It does, however, trickle… but as I said above, I think that is a good feature.