FearOfTheDark's Modified Light for the 10th Annual BLF/OL Contest

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
FearOfTheDark
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 12/19/2020 - 16:39
Posts: 71
Location: Israel
FearOfTheDark's Modified Light for the 10th Annual BLF/OL Contest

I am so happy that another BLF competition has started. Cool
I have a project that I have been putting off for a long time. So I hope the competition will give me the necessary motivation to start (and complete) it soon.

One of my favorite headlamps (Nitecore HC90) was destroyed by water ingress which caused corrosion on the circuit. I tried to fix it without success. I also contacted the manufacturer and asked to buy spare parts but they no longer have spare parts for this discontinued model.

Since I love this flashlight and don’t want to throw it away, I decided to build a new circuit that would support the three RGB LEDs as well as the main white LED.
I don’t believe that I will be able to restore the magnetic slide switch, but I want to maintain the stepless ramping for the white LED.

For those who are not familiar with the model, here is a brief description from the Nitecore website:

The corroded board and some of my tries to fix it :

FearOfTheDark
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 12/19/2020 - 16:39
Posts: 71
Location: Israel

Reserved

Hoop
Hoop's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 15 sec ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 05:33
Posts: 1178
Location: Spokane, WA

Looks like a good project FearOfTheDark. Thumbs Up

Maybe you could implement linear dimming work with a slide potentiometer.

FearOfTheDark
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 12/19/2020 - 16:39
Posts: 71
Location: Israel

Hoop wrote:
Looks like a good project FearOfTheDark. Thumbs Up

Maybe you could implement linear dimming work with a slide potentiometer.


This is a good idea but it will not be waterproof and water caused this whole mess in the first place Smile
FearOfTheDark
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 12/19/2020 - 16:39
Posts: 71
Location: Israel

I have completed the board with the positive pole and a microswitch.

Instead of the USB charging socket, I inserted a switch boot. Under the boot, I placed a board with an electronic switch on one side and a spring on the other. I had to sand the board so that it would sit exactly in place like the original board.