Looking for charger recommendations

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19315
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

The UMS4 is $26.38, possibly with sales tax.

The Vapcell S4 Plus is was less than $31, and I didn't get charged sales tax.

I don't know about D batteries--if that's a dealbreaker, I guess get the UMS4.

Are D batteries too wide for the Vapcell S4 Plus?

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2127
Location: South Aus

Here it’s about $40 for the UMS4 and S4 plus $80 both shipped.

The S4 can do 3 amps per channel for a total of 12 amps vs 4amps total for the nitecores

I think I’ll go for the UMS4 as soon as I get the confirmation it comes with the appropriate USB charger.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19315
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

You don't want to order direct from China?

(I guess you don't want to wait.)

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19315
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

I've been using Nitecore chargers for years, but I'm really excited about the Vapcell S4 Plus.

(Of course, I'm not going to try to charge D batteries.)

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2127
Location: South Aus

That’s both China prices converted to AUD, our dollar is pretty low at the moment plus tax on top.

Local prices would be pretty expencive for them here I’m guessing but I haven’t looked.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19315
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast
raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19315
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

CollectEverything wrote:

It's likely those are major warehouse locations.

AliExpress doesn't work that way.

If you were choosing a warehouse, the country or region wouldn't be abbreviated like that, and the country or region wouldn't be tied in with which charger you choose.

You keep on grasping at straws, and it's honestly pathetic.  :FACEPALM:

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 939
Location: USA

raccoon city wrote:

CollectEverything wrote:

It’s likely those are major warehouse locations.

AliExpress doesn’t work that way.

If you were choosing a warehouse, the country or region wouldn’t be abbreviated like that, and the country or region wouldn’t be tied in with which charger you choose.

You keep on grasping at straws, and it’s honestly pathetic.  alt=:" />


I deleted my last comment mainly because I tracked down the current testing relating to the UMS2 charger on another forum. Not sure why you didn’t just link that in the first place… Seems like you just like arguing or something.

Your comment about the charging cables is still highly misleading for a normal user as I explained in multiple ways previously.

------------------

My Collection

------------------

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19315
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

CollectEverything wrote:

I deleted my last comment mainly because I tracked down the current testing relating to the UMS2 charger on another forum. Not sure why you didn’t just link that in the first place… Seems like you just like arguing or something.

Your comment about the charging cables is still highly misleading for a normal user as I explained in multiple ways previously.

In your last comment that you deleted, you basically said you were done arguing in this thread.

(Of course that didn't happen.)

I didn't link to another forum in the first place because I never went to another forum for research in this thread.

I cannot link to some place that I never went.

If you really want a link, ask for it.

No one can read minds.

Also, no one is obligated to post any links for you even if you ask for a link.

I don't like arguing, but I don't like people posting misinformation either.

My comment about the USB charger is completely true and not misleading in the least.

There are UMS2 chargers that come with a compatible USB charger.

I never said that the USB charger is (or is not) made by or distributed by Nitecore because I don't care about that.

That's what you seem to care about.

Not everyone cares about the same things.  :BEER:

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19315
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

Here's three other AliExpress listings with one thing in common.

 

1.  Some of these come with an adapter for different regions:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832780066551.html

 

2.  Some of these come with an adapter for different regions:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802287712315.html

 

3.  Some of these come with an adapter for different regions:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802595269904.html

 

As you can see, it's somewhat common on AliExpress for sellers to sell Nitecore UMS2 chargers with an adapter for different regions.

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 939
Location: USA

racoon city wrote:
In your last comment that you deleted, you basically said you were done arguing in this thread.

(Of course that didn’t happen.)

I learned some new information and admitted I was wrong about the current limits of the UMS2. That comment I deleted was based on my understanding that you were arguing against the specs for no good reason which I learned not to be true.

racoon city wrote:
I didn’t link to another forum in the first place because I never went to another forum for research in this thread.

I cannot link to some place that I never went.

I found the info on CPF due to the google algorithm. But you’re missing the point. I was referencing spec sheets and you were referencing an independent tester who has a three-letter name. Not everyone has been on this forum for 12 years. Not everyone knows who or what an HKJ is offhand. I made the initial mistake of not understanding what you were referencing but I don’t understand why you never clarified when I kept referring to the specs on the product page.

racoon city wrote:
No one can read minds.
Which is why you should probably clarify the things that you say instead of just repeating them.

racoon city wrote:
My comment about the USB charger is completely true and not misleading in the least.
“Come with” and “bundled with” are not the same thing. You may not care about the distinction but if you are trying to be helpful to newbies who may stumble onto this thread then it would be a good idea to be more specific.

------------------

My Collection

------------------

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19315
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

CollectEverything wrote:

Not everyone knows who or what an HKJ is offhand. I made the initial mistake of not understanding what you were referencing but I don't understand why you never clarified when I kept referring to the specs on the product page.

Sorry, but I didn't know that you didn't know who HKJ is--plus I don't have to clarify anything to you.

CollectEverything wrote:

you should probably clarify the things that you say instead of just repeating them.

I don't have to post in any manner that you see fit.

You're coming across as extremely entitled.

I do not live to serve you.

CollectEverything wrote:
“Come with” and “bundled with” are not the same thing. You may not care about the distinction but if you are trying to be helpful to newbies who may stumble onto this thread then it would be a good idea to be more specific.

You're splitting hairs here for about the millionth time.

You got all bent out of shape because I said that a charger comes with a compatible USB charger, which it does.

I don't have to use your exact words to describe anything.

The words that I used are just fine.

Unfortunately, the only language that I know is English, but I know it quite well.

CollectEverything
CollectEverything's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 07/17/2021 - 00:19
Posts: 939
Location: USA

raccoon city wrote:
nonsense

O.K.

------------------

My Collection

------------------

Sirstinky
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 17:07
Posts: 1693
Location: Vancouver, WA

I compared the S4+ to the UMS4 and went with the S4+ for
several reasons: I need the 3A charging per slot (I charge a lot of 21700). I also needed the added length the S4+ (although the USM4 can handle 75mm 21700s). The other features I liked were the power supply. Cheaper and more reliable than a USB QC PD adapter. It’s easy and cheap to replace, and it works with any 5.5×2.1mm barrel connector (I have a spare adapter) with a 12 volt output up to 5 amps. I like the interface, and the fact it doesn’t time share current across multiple bays when charging at 2A like the Nitecore UMs do. The NIMH delta and termination is also improved on the upgraded version (I do NIMH occasionally). The iR measurements are more reliable also (albeit 50% high).

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19315
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

I want to apologize to ezarc for participating in this argument.

I don't know if ezarc is offended, but if you are, I'm sorry for helping trash your thread.  :FACEPALM:

...

Do you have any decent NiMH D cell batteries?

I thought that most NiMH D cells weren't all that great compared to the 3 x AA LSD adapter solution.

ezarc
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/17/2011 - 18:23
Posts: 2127
Location: South Aus

I had 4 powerex 10,000mah d cells but 1 was damaged in transit, and 4 Tenergy 8,000mah but 2 arrived dead. Using my old Maha charger with an adaptor for D cells they didn’t charge much or just got high internal resistance errors because of the adaptor is my guess.

I threw out about a dozen batteries the other day that the charger wouldn’t charge too, I’m starting to think it might have been the charger as the charger died went glitchy and unresponsive now as well.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19315
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

raccoon city wrote:

Based on this thread and some more research I did, I've changed my mind and I think I will order a couple of Vapcell S4 Plus chargers from here:

https://www.sofirnlight.com/products/vapcell-s4-smart-chargers-with-4-slots-max-3a-per-slot-for-10440-14500-16340-18650-21700-and-26650-batteries

It'll come directly from China, but I'm not in a hurry.  :BEER:

...

And I placed the order!

Each charger was less than $31 shipped.

(I hope that's a great deal.)  $)

The chargers arrived yesterday.

It only took 18 days to get here from China, which is pretty darn quick.

I need to read the manual, and then my family and I will start using the chargers.

I'm excited because I've never had a charger that charges large cells as quickly as the Vapcell S4 Plus.  :THUMBS-UP:

smurcod
Online
Last seen: 4 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 08/11/2022 - 01:03
Posts: 65
Location: Australia

Will the S4 Plus operate off an “unregulated” 12VDC source e.g. a cigarette lighter plug in a vehicle, where the voltage may be anywhere from 12 to 14VDC?

Pages