mounting your flashlight to a bicycle

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
poohduck
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/18/2022 - 08:07
Posts: 66
mounting your flashlight to a bicycle

I’m relatively new to the enthusiast flashlight community. Considering its size I’m amazed that there seem to be less quality options now for mounting these lights to handlebars than there were a few years ago. We have these amazing lights that can easily pull double duty and be used for bike lights as well.

Anyway, the one I found and bought is cheap. It seems to be available under many different brand names. I haven’t received mine yet, but here is a basic look at what they are and how they work (not my video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eofRf8llAA

Edited by: poohduck on 08/26/2022 - 06:53
Vegas LED Fan
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 11/05/2017 - 14:51
Posts: 213
Location: Nevada

I’ve tried a few flashlight holders on my recumbent trike and my MTB. The one shown below is my favorite, partly because when I bought them at first they could be obtained from Chinese sellers on eBay for 99 cents. They were designed to work with flashlights that use the 18650 li-ion battery so have a 25mm (~1”) barrel. It is easy to pop in the flashlight and it never dislodges on a bumpy road. It can be aimed precisely where you want the beam to go. It works well with daytime running lights that I mount on a short piece of plastic tube for easy removal for recharging. To change from flashlight to daytime light I just swivel the holder. The current price for US sellers on eBay is around 6 bucks but if you buy more than one the unit price gets cheaper fast.
Flashlight in holder on trike

typical Listing on eBay

Daytime running light on Cannondale MTB handlebars

single unit on eBay $5.99 https://www.ebay.com/itm/144629201370
two units on eBay $8 https://www.ebay.com/itm/153476172850
5 pieces on eBay for $9.01 https://www.ebay.com/itm/115472912255

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1294
Location: usa

Been riding MTBs for decades, i can not recall any quality options that are no longer available, we always had only these type of rotating clamps, or Velcro straps,  i do not remember seeing any other type around. However those work pretty good for the most part, It is not like there is a simpler way of mounting 2 perpendicular pipes.  I have been printing my own holders for headlamps, as well as bike mounts, i used T shaped (D10) headlamp as a bike  headlight. But unless you have a irregular shape light or you want it to be mounted certain way, those widely available clamps work pretty good. 

I'd love to see those that are referred to as quality option that is no longer available, really curious what those were.

manithree
manithree's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 01:08
Posts: 801
Location: Orem, UT, USA
Vegas LED Fan wrote:
typical Listing on eBay

Those are great, I still have a few. But IMO, they’re only for bikes that are always locked safely indoors. I had one on my grocery-getter, and I pulled the light out of the mount every time I locked my bike at the store. The soft plastic that holds the torch quickly spread and wouldn’t grab the light tightly any more.

But, if you leave the light in the mount, and just pull the battery to charge it, they’re great.

Paul321
Paul321's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 03/07/2015 - 09:44
Posts: 829
Location: Hawleyville, USA

I like the Fenix Mount

Paul-

manithree
manithree's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 01:08
Posts: 801
Location: Orem, UT, USA

I like these

The olight mount is nice, too, but I would rather have 5 of the aliexpress mounts for the same price.

Paul321
Paul321's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 03/07/2015 - 09:44
Posts: 829
Location: Hawleyville, USA

Yeah, you can’t beat those prices, and availability.

Paul-

poohduck
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/18/2022 - 08:07
Posts: 66

This looks like another well engineered option that fenix used to sell. It isn’t available anymore. It looks as though it would need to be sized up a bit for 21700 and 26650 lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqP3M2IWmls&t=5s

poohduck
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/18/2022 - 08:07
Posts: 66
Paul321 wrote:
I like the Fenix Mount

this is the one I’d like to buy. I’m just not sure of the size. I’ve ordered a sofirn C8L and a C8G. The light clamping size for that mount is 18 to 26mm. The 21700 battery is 21mm? so I’m guessing that mount might be a bit small for those lights. I won’t know till the lights get here. It does look the best mount though.

The other mount that looks well made is the one that comes with the nitecore br25 bike light https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/br25

The br25 is a 21700 light, so that mount should fit my lights. It looks like a universal type fit; they don’t sell the mount by itself though.

poohduck
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/18/2022 - 08:07
Posts: 66

Vegas LED Fan wrote:
I’ve tried a few flashlight holders on my recumbent trike and my MTB. The one shown below is my favorite, partly because when I bought them at first they could be obtained from Chinese sellers on eBay for 99 cents. They were designed to work with flashlights that use the 18650 li-ion battery so have a 25mm (~1”) barrel. It is easy to pop in the flashlight and it never dislodges on a bumpy road. It can be aimed precisely where you want the beam to go. It works well with daytime running lights that I mount on a short piece of plastic tube for easy removal for recharging. To change from flashlight to daytime light I just swivel the holder. The current price for US sellers on eBay is around 6 bucks but if you buy more than one the unit price gets cheaper fast.
Flashlight in holder on trike

typical Listing on eBay

Daytime running light on Cannondale MTB handlebars

single unit on eBay $5.99 https://www.ebay.com/itm/144629201370
two units on eBay $8 https://www.ebay.com/itm/153476172850
5 pieces on eBay for $9.01 https://www.ebay.com/itm/115472912255

I did look at those. Weerapat Kiatdumrong uses these on his mtb, but I think he just rides for transport; not particularly rough or fast. One of his videos shows a mod for this mount – that made me think that perhaps it isn’t strong enough for what I need. I’d rather ride down steps than walk for example Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQurErSctCM

poohduck
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/18/2022 - 08:07
Posts: 66

alpg88 “I’d love to see those that are referred to as quality option that is no longer available, really curious what those were.”

Already linked:

the Fenix ALB-10 Not sure that this will fit 21700 or larger lights.

The Fenix AF02 No longer available. This would possibly have to be made larger for 21700 lights etc too.

There’s also the mount that comes with the nitecore br25 – but it doesn’t appear to be for sale by itself.

Argo
Argo's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 99
Location: Italy

This is my setup for MTB mount: 

 

 

 

 

There are 2 parts: gopro adapter and handlebar mount, so I can use flashlight on helmet or handlebar. 

 

Another option can I use is this, but frequently I use on my rucksack:

 

 

poohduck
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/18/2022 - 08:07
Posts: 66

gee, I looked at gopro and thought I didn’t see anything. I’ll have to look again.

Later: can’t find the bit that goes around the torch. I don’t think it’s gopro – maybe 3rd party?

Later again: I don’t think that would work for me. It only has that one bolt to hold it in the up / down position. I think I need the adjustment for this to be via the clamp onto the handlebar – it would be more substantial.

I did come across this part; still don’t like it because you’re dependent on a silicone band. And this part for the bar. Not for me though, I don’t think this setup would hold position on single track: https://www.amazon.com/HSU-Aluminum-Bicycle-Handlebar-Mountain/dp/B07P9Z...

Argo
Argo's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 99
Location: Italy

Here the links where I bought them:

1) https://amzn.to/3OBhYVO
2) https://bit.ly/3J7P52s
3) https://bit.ly/3CBUiOW

Rexlion
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2019 - 16:59
Posts: 1271
Location: Okla.

I tried the Olight mount and it just didn’t grip the handlebar tightly enough to keep the light’s head from drooping more and more as I went over little bumps in the road. I bought a couple of clamp mounts on ebay (no name on them) that look about the same as these on Amazon . They aren’t absolutely perfect but they do hold pretty well.

== We save the planet from darkness ==

poohduck
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/18/2022 - 08:07
Posts: 66

Argo wrote:
Here the links where I bought them:

1) https://amzn.to/3OBhYVO
2) https://bit.ly/3J7P52s
3) https://bit.ly/3CBUiOW

Thanks Argo

poohduck
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/18/2022 - 08:07
Posts: 66
Rexlion wrote:
I tried the Olight mount and it just didn’t grip the handlebar tightly enough to keep the light’s head from drooping more and more as I went over little bumps in the road. I bought a couple of clamp mounts on ebay (no name on them) that look about the same as these on Amazon . They aren’t absolutely perfect but they do hold pretty well.

These do look good too. I did consider these, and they look like a viable option. Do you trust the clamp part that goes around the handlebar? That was my question with only pictures to look at. The light clamp part looks awesome.

I looked at a few reviews of the olight type of mount too; the silicone bands do break sooner or later. I have budget lights coming, but they still cost a fair bit. I suppose they’re budget because you’re getting a lot of bang for buck.

Paul321
Paul321's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 03/07/2015 - 09:44
Posts: 829
Location: Hawleyville, USA

This lopic has a history

Paul-

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1294
Location: usa

poohduck wrote:
alpg88 "I'd love to see those that are referred to as quality option that is no longer available, really curious what those were." Already linked: the "Fenix ALB-10":https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-alb-10-quick-release-bike-mount/ Not sure that this will fit 21700 or larger lights. The "Fenix AF02":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqP3M2IWmls&t=5s No longer available. This would possibly have to be made larger for 21700 lights etc too. There's also the mount that comes with the "nitecore br25":https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/br25 - but it doesn't appear to be for sale by itself.

 

Just looking at the video, the Fenix af02 is wobbly out of the box, clearly visible at timestamp starting with 3.08   i would not call it a quality option, it may have a look  of quality, but wobbling mount is a crappy mount, not to mention it is unnecessary bulky, maybe they stopped making it for a reason. 

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1294
Location: usa

I made a mount exactly like this, it worked better than any mount you can buy, it held  my lights rock sold. even after falls, i highly recommend it if function matters more than  appearance.

 

RafaelSeago
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 09/19/2022 - 11:40
Posts: 1
Location: united states

Using something inexpensive doesn't matter if it has bad quality. Moreover, there are a lot of good led flashlights that aren't too expensive and do a great job. You can try these led flashlights, I ordered one for myself a while ago, and I was impressed by all the functions they have for their prices. If you check their link on amazon, you'll find a lot of pluses and realize how effective they are. One aspect that I love the most is their battery life. I use my led flashlight for over 6 hours a day, and I always have some battery life when I get home.

manithree
manithree's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 01:08
Posts: 801
Location: Orem, UT, USA
Rexlion wrote:
I tried the Olight mount and it just didn’t grip the handlebar tightly enough to keep the light’s head from drooping more and more as I went over little bumps in the road.

Elastic mounts work great (for me) on bar tape and chonky handlebars. Skinny, slick bike handlebars, not so much.

puglife2
puglife2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/07/2017 - 17:56
Posts: 582

i used this stuff for my 3×21A sbt90.2

Rexlion
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2019 - 16:59
Posts: 1271
Location: Okla.
poohduck wrote:
Rexlion wrote:
I tried the Olight mount and it just didn’t grip the handlebar tightly enough to keep the light’s head from drooping more and more as I went over little bumps in the road. I bought a couple of clamp mounts on ebay (no name on them) that look about the same as these on Amazon . They aren’t absolutely perfect but they do hold pretty well.

These do look good too. I did consider these, and they look like a viable option. Do you trust the clamp part that goes around the handlebar? That was my question with only pictures to look at. The light clamp part looks awesome.

I looked at a few reviews of the olight type of mount too; the silicone bands do break sooner or later. I have budget lights coming, but they still cost a fair bit. I suppose they’re budget because you’re getting a lot of bang for buck.


Yes, it holds onto the handlebar just fine. I have my light mounted under the bar, not atop it, btw.

== We save the planet from darkness ==

MoreHiCRILumens
MoreHiCRILumens's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1976
Location: Finland

I am planning to upgrade my current setup of Fenix BC30+BLF A6, but because I am running out of places in handlebar had to get extra bar, just like puglife2.

I am planning to attach BC30 to middle of that and two BLF A6-type of Convoy somethings to sides.
What Convoy lights are BLF A6-like? It doesn’t need to be 18650, 21700 is fine too, but could throw a bit longer than A6. Color temp is hard to say. I do love 3000k XP-L Hi HCRI, but maybe 3500-4500 would be ideal. BC30 has tint around 5000k so it mixes nicely with warmer shades.
Also I want to have both Convoys with remote switch, but one switch that controls both lights, that is simple as connecting wires from both to single switch?

Rexlion
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2019 - 16:59
Posts: 1271
Location: Okla.

MoreHiCRILumens wrote:
I am planning to upgrade my current setup of Fenix BC30+BLF A6, but because I am running out of places in handlebar had to get extra bar, just like puglife2.

I am planning to attach BC30 to middle of that and two BLF A6-type of Convoy somethings to sides.
What Convoy lights are BLF A6-like? It doesn’t need to be 18650, 21700 is fine too, but could throw a bit longer than A6. Color temp is hard to say. I do love 3000k XP-L Hi HCRI, but maybe 3500-4500 would be ideal. BC30 has tint around 5000k so it mixes nicely with warmer shades.
Also I want to have both Convoys with remote switch, but one switch that controls both lights, that is simple as connecting wires from both to single switch?

You need a super-long handlebar so you can also mount 5 amber running lights, of the type one sees atop cabs of large trucks. LOL And get an air horn! Cool

== We save the planet from darkness ==

poohduck
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/18/2022 - 08:07
Posts: 66
alpg88 wrote:

poohduck wrote:
alpg88 “I’d love to see those that are referred to as quality option that is no longer available, really curious what those were.” Already linked: the Fenix ALB-10 Not sure that this will fit 21700 or larger lights. The Fenix AF02 No longer available. This would possibly have to be made larger for 21700 lights etc too. There’s also the mount that comes with the nitecore br25 – but it doesn’t appear to be for sale by itself.

 

Just looking at the video, the Fenix af02 is wobbly out of the box, clearly visible at timestamp starting with 3.08   i would not call it a quality option, it may have a look  of quality, but wobbling mount is a crappy mount, not to mention it is unnecessary bulky, maybe they stopped making it for a reason. 

this type of mount (swivel in the middle) are all the same – that have a nut and bolt holding the two parts together. You can adjust how loose or tight you want it. Personally I’d use some threadlocker, set it up then tighten it up. No need to have it adjustable unless you’re using it on different bikes and the angle needs to be different for each one. The bolt and nut are recessed though, so shouldn’t come looser anyway.

Incidentally, my mounts have arrived. They are actually really good and work great with my sofirn C8L. They are cheap, come under many different brand names and prices, but I think they are mostly all the same. I bought mine from amazon

lampliter
lampliter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 07/31/2017 - 16:06
Posts: 480
Location: Paradise

OLIGHT FB-1 Universal Flashlight Bike Mount for Flashlight

✅Application: Compatible with bicycle handlebars and flashlights with a diameter range of 10-35 mm; Compatible with all forward and angle-head flashlights
✅Material: Made from high strength temperature and impact resistant polymer, the FB-1 is the perfect piece of equipment for any night time bike rider
✅Compact Size: Low profile height 39 mm to stay out of the way during rides
✅Qiuckly Attach/Release: Install and detach in seconds with the thick silicone gel rings that form to your flashlights
✅Package Included : 1 x Mount 2x Larger Holder Ring 2x Small Holder Ring 1x Head Screwdriver

About $9 on Amazon

!litemount!

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.” ~ U.S. Senator William H. Borah (1865-1940) affectionately known as the "Lion of Idaho"

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1294
Location: usa

Printed this one for D10-25. 

https://i.imgur.com/zuT18hp.jpg?1

 

Rexlion
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2019 - 16:59
Posts: 1271
Location: Okla.

lampliter wrote:
OLIGHT FB-1 Universal Flashlight Bike Mount for Flashlight

✅Application: Compatible with bicycle handlebars and flashlights with a diameter range of 10-35 mm; Compatible with all forward and angle-head flashlights
✅Material: Made from high strength temperature and impact resistant polymer, the FB-1 is the perfect piece of equipment for any night time bike rider
✅Compact Size: Low profile height 39 mm to stay out of the way during rides
✅Qiuckly Attach/Release: Install and detach in seconds with the thick silicone gel rings that form to your flashlights
✅Package Included : 1 x Mount 2x Larger Holder Ring 2x Small Holder Ring 1x Head Screwdriver

About $9 on Amazon

!litemount!

I have one, and it slips around too much. I really wanted to like it, but nope.

== We save the planet from darkness ==