The 1000 Yard Club - extreme distance testing for throwers.

The 1000 Yard Club is a special category for throwers which pass an extreme distance test. It needs perfect conditions out in the country somewhere, with zero local light, a dark night, and a white house or similar large object 1000 yards away across the fields.

A couple of friends and I went out visiting 2 farms here in NZ last night, and we shone some of our hunting throwers across the farm flats. They just picked out a very distant house … later googled at a range of 893 meters, or 977 yards. Four guys could just see the house and a shed 50m away from it – like buildings in the faintest moonlight 977 yards away – and with the naked eye. No scopes.

First to pass was the Maxtoch SN6X-2 or Skyray STL-V2 XML thrower and it would do a little further – estimate 1100 yards+. Second to pass to our great surprise was a little Jacob A60 with its Q5 X-RE chip. It would also just top the 1000 yards – slightly less than the Maxi/Skyray. No others passed.

No idea what lumen measurement was happening out at 1000 yards, but buildings just visible to naked eye for all guys. Amazing – and to think the Maxtoch costs $52 delivered, and the Jacob A60 $14. Maxtoch much more usable beam width as well as well as distance. Light level at 1000 not remotely useable for hunting etc (max for hunting 200 yards), but could still be useful for search and rescue for which this particular Maxtoch SN6X-2/Skyray was actually designed.

So… two 1000 Yard Club members: the Maxtoch/Skyray, and the Jacob A60.

Here’s Maxtoch link:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/575052447-MAXTOCH10WCREE-Xml-T6-1…

or:

http://www.maxtoch.com/

Do you have any pics?

BTW for anyone wanting to buy one, an STL V2 can be bought for $37.39 including shipping here.

If by the time you read this the sale is not on and the price has gone back up to ~$45 then just wait a few days, as the sale has been going on and off for a few weeks.

The Maxtoch SN6X-2/Skyray STL-V2 is a fine budget thrower, and the little Jacob A60 can stretch out as well, but they are not in the class of the top money throwers like the Olights and Thrunite TN31 etc.

Interesting to speculate how far their beams could carry in perfect conditions. Might have to be somewhere in the Arizona desert, but I suspect some of those top non HID lights would touch one mile.

And as for the 55w HIDS……. who knows!

The Ultrafire UF-T20 ……
After an E1320 mod…… Can do it ……

He tested it and says:

Manny I got your light done this morning and this thing is fucken ridicules. I have never seen a light throw so far. So thanks a lot, now I have to buy one to mount on my scoped rifle because it smokes the aspherical I have on there now. It actually out throws any light have built or had in my hand for that matter what a beast of a light. You have a 5 mode XRE that pulls 2.8 amps in turbo mode 1.4 in high and has a .002 1 lumen low.

Yep.

This thread is misleading and no bashing the witness either in the wording of 1000yd throwers. It takes a heck of a light to throw 1000yds and I doubt my big halogen almost 9” reflector spotlight would truly throw a 1000yds and really light up a normal object and not some reflector or stop sign. There’s a big difference between lighting up an object vs just making a stop sign or reflector noticeable at that distance. Just my thoughts.

Nothing misleading friend.

In pitch black conditions in a remote country area with zero ambient light, two lights carried across 977 yards to just show a house and adjacent shed enough that 4 men could make them out. 4 people. No question.

The house and shed I believe are normal white paint , but they are not reflective sign material.

Facts. I can certainly get 1-2 of them to verify this if necessary, but should not be required.

Hey Mudgripz

Could you estimate the temperature and humidity of that night ?

Light performance in dry cold air in the land of the long white cloud will be different than
say here, on the mainland :slight_smile: warm and humid at night.

Were you on the South island ?

Usually where I live when it’s cold the air gets very foggy, so cold air isn’t preferable for beamshots.

Hi Slewflash
Where abouts are you ?
Sounds like the mountains somewhere.
When it’s below zero the humidity is usually very low too.
Unless it’s snowing, so NZ at this time of year may be a good place for testing throwers.

Maybe I should send Mudgripz my HD2010 to test !
It should beat the STLV2/Maxtoch/FF…

I have a 2AA incandescent maglite that easily throws 1000 yards… as long as I am using the 3rd gen night vision goggles. And that’s with a very dark IR filter on it (you can’t see it from 4 feet away).

My SM5500 would throw 7km then under those perfect conditions. (assuming your STL-V2 is 50k cd)

Seriously, the STL-V2 would be useful till about 220 metres. (1 lux @ target)

I’ve been wondering whether or not to get an stl-v2 for quite some time now but now I’m convinced. What would be the best/cheapest place to get one that takes Paypal?

This aliexpress store is legit. (you can see my name under the X100 purchase/feedback, and a couple of others for other pdts)

37 bucks shipped. Even cheaper than DX’s Fandyfire.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/551512869-1PC-Sky-Ray-STL-V2-Tactical-Flashlight-3-5-Mode-1000-Lumen-CREE-XM-L-T6-wholesalers.html

Opps….sorry no paypal. Then you’d have to get from lightmalls (46 dollars for STL-V2)

http://www.lightmalls.com/sky-ray-stl-v2-cree-xml-t6-1000-lumen-led-flashlight-2-18650-3-16340-3-cr123a

PS. I understand why you’d want to use Paypal with regards to CC security and protection.

Yea, I just don’t feel comfortable giving my card number out to foreign companies. I’m deciding whether to buy it from lightmalls or manafont. I’ve had positive experiences from manafont and none from light malls. However, it costs $51.80 at manafont. How does lightmall’s reputation compare to manafont or any other reputable dealer?

I bought a torch and used my Visa, I found a charge for $29.95 on it and was told that I gave permission to join a money saving club on the site when I ordered.

I told them I gave no permission for anything. I was told by some Indian lady we are sorry for the misunderstanding and I will have the funds in 7 to 10 business days.

The company sold my info to a marketing company, now I have 2 get a new bank account because it has happened twice already !!!

He he ………

I’m in… LOL
TRA-66 XR-E 150,000 lux

FT66 XM-L Flood to throw 100,000+ lux

More to come……
XP-G2 @ 2.2A + aspherics lens is about 150,000± lux , 4xhotspot compared with XR-E
XM-L2??? Flood to throw
……

skyray stl-v2 is 43$ at fancyflashlights…

http://fancyflashlights.com/goods.php?id=437

Good looking and top performance…. Keep up the great work and posts !!!

STL-V2 [Marsfire version] - Changed driver to 7135 V2 + C8 battery tube got 2850 lux @ 4 meters = 45,600 lux ANSI
$23.89 + $4.X = $28