Fun with hand tools

Just thought I'd share a few pics from a current build project to show that you dont have to have a lathe to machine out some nice parts. It sure would make life a lot easier though!

Nah, I didn't do the fins by hand. My good buddy Wayne took care of that and surprised me with a few finned minis a while back. The pill just needs to be shortened to fit the driver clearance but the pill and head bore are all done by hand and so far have all come out real well. So break out the hand tools and get modding! There is a lot you can do without a lathe as long as you are willing to step out of your comfort zone. ;)

Looks like a nice sink with good fit! What’s you planing for drive/LED?

Thanks! Going with a U3 and the same 5-mode driver I usually use.

I hate posting from a tablet! My pics showed in the preview but not after I posted. Argh! Will clean up the OP from the laptop tomorrow.

You got me all excited and cant see the pics. :cry:

pics aren't showing up, only the URL code

Yeah, I know. I complained about it in my second post. :p

Edit: fixed code manually in the OP.

Looks like a very good fit.

I'm glad you are promoting hand work. I hope others try some work like that.

Thanks, Justin. The more of us that post good hand machining the more folks will be encouraged to try it themselves. You are always an inspiration to our members but I bet most think you are the exception and that they could never do what you do. I know you and I have cracked more than the needed eggs to make omelettes. You can’t be afraid to fail. :slight_smile:

Yeah, there’s nothin’ like some good hand work to make a man stand proud… :bigsmile:

+1 Nice work JohnnyMac

and you would know too…Tongue Out

Very nice fitment JohnnyMac! After starting out doing a few by hand, I really have an appreciation for what it takes to do this - A lot of patience! Some may balk at the pill finish because it's not "lathe smooth"...those folks just don't get it. I think anyone who doesn't have an appreciation for what it takes to mod by hand aught to give it a go... They may find a distinct change in their perspective!

I can't wait to see this one completed!

nice job, that’ll be a cracking light when you’re done. I’ve just finished one - did the pill on a lathe but bored out the threads in the head with a dremel as my lathe chuck was too small to grip the head (and I can’t figure out how to use my minute boring bar yet). It did take an awful long time to do the head though!

Egads, man! I can’t imagine boring out the head with a dremel!

yeah, it took a while, mostly the last stage of getting the fit right without taking too much out. Still, I’m only going to do it once, so a few hours is neither here nor there :slight_smile: