Thrower convex-lens powerful flashlight?

Hi,
I own this flashlight https://dx.com/p/infinite-zooming-240-350lm-1-led-waterproof-white-light-flashlight-for-bicycle-hi-low-strobe-113096 (Cree C33 XR-E Q5), because I need a very thrower flash-light with a convex lens to make a projector like these:

This flashlight that I have works fine for this purpose (I focus the image with a loupe), but I would like a more powerful one. What flashlight would you recommend me for less than $70 with this requirements (thrower and convex lens) and more pwoerful thant the one that I have?

Thanks!

PD: if the lens is not convex, can I mod this and attach a convex-lens on it?
PD2: sorry, I am a newbie in this and neither a English native speaker.

Welcome to the forum.
Now that is fun.
Please show some pictures of what you have so far.

Where do you put the picture in.

You need a thrower light with convex lens (zoom flashlight for example), put a logo printed on a piece of transparent paper over the lens (sticked with transparent tape, for example) and then focus the image with a loupe. Very simple, very cheap and very impressive.

The flashlight that i have is the one I linked, it’s a flood-to-throw 350LM (actually I don’t think it is) Cree C33 XR-E Q5. It works very good, but I would like something more powerful.

This may work well for you, it definitely will throw further.

Please show a picture of the self made part, I know this flashlights.
Are you familiar with the use of 18650 rechargeable Lithium ion batteries?

There are a lot of this zoom type flashlights out there, but the LED used in this(a XRE)is very good for a small hot spot. But it’s not that bright.

If you look for a so designed flashlight with a XML LED in it and a nice big lens than this will increase brightness.
This has a small hotspot zoomed.

I don’t have this but a lot of the people here say that it is the best choice.
Uf T20

Scaru, thanks for the link. The problem is that I live in Spain, so I don’t know where I can buy this kind of flashlight without too expensive shipping cost… Any idea?
Also, it will get further but, does it will get brighter? Thanks!

Werner, I will do some photos tomorrow of the kit, because now I can’t. But it’s as simple as I described there, no big things…
I know the XML T-6 LED, they look great but I don’t know if they would be better than what I have now.

Oh Werner, I didn’t saw the Uf T20 you mentioned. That’s interesting… I will look more about this…

Thanks!

The most of the lights we talk about are send without shipping cost to almost everywhere.

Wow I have tried it myself, with a smilie drawed on a butterbrotpapier, lol.

But it seems to me that it is better to not zoom in, as this swallow to much light.
So every nice driven XML zoomie light should do the trick.

Edit it doesn’t has to be a zoomie, every light works…
Edit 2 if you use semitransparent paper every light works,also ac8 and A8 tested. but now I have drawed the smilie with a marker on the lens of a zoomie and this works only when zoomed in.
NICE!

I was just outside with my directly on lens drawed smilie face, I projected it everywhere. FUN thanks for posting this
But the loupe is really unsexy, perhaps we can put the picture near the lens and focus with the stock lens.

That UF T20 looks great as an update to my curent flashlight. I think it gets further and it’s a little bit brighter, isn’t it?

Also, I’m interested in the Tiablo A9. Do you think it’s worth the price for my purpose? Is it too much for what I want?
Also, where can I buy it to spain?

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/uniquefire-uft20-cree-xml-led-1200lumen-3mode-floodtothrow-memory-flashlight-black-18650-p-10770

Tiablo a9 has no aspheric on stock, or am I wrong?

Thanks for the link, great price.

They do have here: http://www.taclight.co.uk/acatalog/TIABLO-Collimator.html

So I have tried to draw direct on the led dome…not so good it smoked away and the result was a crappy picture and I had to still use the loupe but the distance was shorter.

I will play more with this tomorrow.

Rucc what do you use for the picture, a simple printed overhead projector foil. Where do you put it on the flat or the round side of lens?

This was used for my first try

I managed to make a picture, I had to use all my extremity, low mode and focus on the dark wall so that the camera get the :slight_smile: correct. But you can see that the face is better visble than the hairs(these are painted on the flat side) I see it in neutral plain white and as a perfect round.

Be carefull with the imports over 22€, our friends in aduanas (customs) are willing to get your taxes

I think the smallsun c10 is one of the best convex throwers for the price. Especially if you direct drive it.

I really want to see a tutorial on how to project images like that. The Guy Fawkes mask is really cool.

So I played some more with it but the zoom to throw flashlights are way to dim when used in zoom mode.
How about a c8 with aspheric lens? Lens is about 41mm wide.

Someone should make a BLF template

I used an edding751 paint marker, and wrote on the flat side of lens.

I also tried colored markers, they work too.
Now I have to look if I have some printable foils laying around…

Ok, for those who are asking how to do it. It’s pretty simple!

What you need:

- Thrower flashlight (convex lenses are great!)

- Transparent paper (ink jet film from Staedtler, for example)

- A loupe (the bigger the better, and made by crystal not plastic!)

Setp 1. Print your logo in the transparent film (remember black areas would be lack of light)

Step 2. Stick it on your flashlight with transparent tape.

Step 3. On your flashlight and point to some wall or similar. Put the loupe just in front of your flashlight (between the beam). Move the loupe forwards and backwards to focus the image to the wall (remember what you are doing with the loupe is converging the light to one point).

Step 4. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Why do you not put the picture on the other end of lens inside the flashlight?

I made the classic batman style and it worked good.

Because so i can easily change the logo. I tried the Batman logo too and it’s GREAT! Haha.

Ok, by order of better to worse. Those are the light that i got recommended for this purpose:

- Tiablo A9 + Convex lens (the best choice for under under $100)

- UF T20 (I don’t know much about this one)

- Smallsun C10 (very good thrower)

- UF C8 (another one)

• SIPIK T6 (in small distances it will be bigger and brighter)

What do you think? Am I right?
Is Tiablo A9 worth? Wich of the other ones do you think is better? Is there something in the middle of Tiablo A9 and the others?

Doesn’t size matter? Do you plan to take it with you or just at home?
These are way different lights.
C8 has no aspheric lens.
Do you mean a sipik sk98 or what?

I would go for the uf t20, this one seems really good for the price.

What do you do with your projections?

I mean this SIPIK (http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/sipik-t6-5mode-floodtothrow-led-flashlight-black-18650-p-11048). They todl me this one will work great at short distances, because it will give me brighter and bigger projection.
C8 with an aspheric lens, you commented. How you can do it? Is this better than UF T20?

Would’nt you get the Tiablo A9 for a good price?

Thanks!