Mum wants a Solitaire, Mum gets a Solitaire

Just now finished the latest version. This one uses the 12mm optic recommended by OL but with a nylon tube to lift it clear of the chip, an awg12 bit of wire drilled and soldered through the contact plate to strengthen the pill, some of the threads cut off and the lip on the tail cap removed to allow the head to screw all the way down When on(veeery nearly so). As usual, 2- 7135 chips are in the pill to set the output current at 700mA(verified at 705mA w/DMM) and my personal favorite led, the XP-G2 R5 3D from IS. And now some pics.

The light

The bits

Wall shot(7’away)

And a bit of outdoors (control first, no flash )

And the light. Not a thrower but you won’t miss anything at your feet.

That’s all folks.

P.S. I can’t afford diamonds but I can afford brass, so Mum gets some brass bling.

Now it’s done.

Nice build Rufusbduck. I like the emitter choice too. Nice tint.

Nice! I think you are getting to be the master of miniscule. I hate touching those Solitaire lights. Just too small for my fumble fingers to work on.

700mA is pretty good from that light. How fast does it heat up?

Well done, Rufusbduck! Very clean build. I want (need) to try that emitter so badly but I haven’t done a build in a while to justify ordering some.

Btw, the wall is green not the led.

OL, it gets warm in just a few minutes but bare handing seems to keep it from getting really hot. Since I use the black one mostly for short haul trips it’s not an issue but left on and sitting somewhere might overheat and certainly would drain the battery since there’s no IC. With just one chip it would have ~100 lumens and no heat problem at all. If mum complains I’ll just swap one in but she specifically requested more light.

Thanks Slim, how hot was the governor’s assistant in Blazing Saddles?

Seriously Rufusbduck. You need some serious help. You have built a lovely light with one of your I dont know how it works drivers and give it to your mum as a solitaire! If I said to my mum I was going to give her a solitair this is what she would expect,

You gave her a flashlight? Shame on you. Now go and procure a solitaire for your mum that truly says I love you mum. A flashlight, seriously. I hear the sirens coming for you and Buck howling.

But it’s shiny and bright and pink too. Besides, she asked for one.

But I was thinking diamond as well… Suppose the flashlight was easier on the bank account tho… Nice build!

I buy my spouse a nice new wiper blade for her side of the car every B’day, as you are giving them ‘the gift of sight’, it’s almost identical to giving them a light I figger, and they both have a similar lifespan……

+1

I'd almost rather pay for the ring.

Arrghh, now I’m totally screwed. But you know how mothers are when the kid brings home a present they have made. Doesn’t matter that the kid in question is 53, according to encyclopedia.mom.omg that operative never changes. So I think I’ll just add some brass bling and call it a day.

I thought it was lipstick. :party: lol. I think this is a good present for pink lovers.

Just wait ’til you see my next mod. I can’t do quantity like OL or quality like CX but I can think small.

Very nice!

For the lazy, like me

My solution for Valentines this year :wink:

The Maglite pink is a nice pink! Did you have to make the board yourself or is there a kit one can buy?

Have to make it but it’s not a board per se but just the 7135 chips soldered to a copper disc with wires and potted in a nylon tube. My latest thread will document my efforts to cobble an entire driver in there. Pcb’s allow circuits to be done with a minimum of wires but all in one plane. I go the other direction and replace the board with wires to allow a 3D shape change of the same parts.

Ahh, thank you for explaining! I’d love to see more.

Bump, it’s done.