Hugsby P2

I never see this light recommended or discussed.
http://dx.com/p/hugsby-p2-cree-q5-wc-190-lumen-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-32876

Since it takes both AA and CR123a batteries it seems very flexible.
Any comments?
Jerry

14500 as well not many lights out there recommend that,so should b bright.

cell versatility looks good. emitter is not the greatest. XMLs get most of the buzz these days. now even the XPG2 and XML2 are out, so people really talk about them most.

If you want to get a really high quality light that takes AA and/or CR123A check out the Zebralight SC80. I love mine.

Are you sure that thing runs on CR123a batteries? Can't find that in the description.

Search the Customer Reviews for "CR123". It's there a bunch!

You are right. Thanks to DX customers

yeah DX description fail once again :frowning:

Thanks for the comments.
I am sure that the Zebralight SC80 is a better light, but the price difference is a deal breaker for me. :slight_smile:

The ability to use both AA and CR 123a batteries would be a big advantage for most people. I have several 18650 lights, but would not use them on an extended camping trip or a trip to a foreign nation. I never heard of an 18650 battery until I came here, and do not know anyone who uses one. The availability of batteries is an advantage that more than offsets the good points of 18650.

Jerry

Yeah, I warned you, sc80 is really nice and you pay for it. :slight_smile:

You know… you can harvest 18650s from laptop batteries. Not like popping in the corner store for AAs, but if things really got desperate (like Japan tsunami desperate) its a last resort type option. (Of course charging might be tricky.)

Totally feel you on multiple cell capability. I am a nerd for it myself. I have been eyeing a cool Shadow brand light on CNQG that takes 1xCR123A or 1x18650 with extender.

I got this light from aurabuy and was going to do a review on it this week....so stay tuned :P

http://www.aurabuy.com/p2-cree-q5-wc-3-mode-190-lumen-convex-lens-white-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500.html

I just had it in my pocket all day and have been running it on a cr123a primary battery .

Hugsby makes a well built body with a well thought out amount of knurling and a pretty serious little clip .Maybe a little bit too much attack bezel... but it seems to just give it some charm . The beam is a very hot hot spot thrower with not much spill. Against a white wall it's hotspot is brighter at 10 feet than a jetbeam bc-10 running a 14500 on high ..the jetbeam(xpg) may have more lumens but the beam is more concentrated on the hugsby(lux) . The beam at ten feet is about 1 and1/2 the size of a sipik sk68 fully zoomed out into a square . and the beam is about the size of a sipik sk68 pull back in so as the beam becomes rounded instead of square Brightness is almost the same as a sk68 on a 14500 ( my 14500's are fresh off the charger at 4.20v. The hugsby has a nicer tint. smooth beam pattern ,no rings . It has 3Modes hi/lo strobe and No visable PWM (whee!) :)

With a 14500 on the meter it pulls / 1.4 amps on hi and / .21 on low.

With a new cr123(3.25) it did / .75 on hi and / .30 on low..?? odd that it is lower on a battery with more voltage ??)

Size of the hugsby p2 with a 16340 is almost exactly the same size as a sk68 and will be a 1/2 inch longer as a AA/14500 light ./A little taller than the length of a sk68 extended .

I like the hugsby better of course because i'm not much of a sipik sk68 fan . the overall design fit ,finish ,anodization,knurling ,clip ,threads .. etc it is a much better made light overall. Reminds me of old Romisen lights . built tough

I'll take a few pictures this week and write some flowery prose for you all soon :)

any questions feel free to pm me

I love my Hugsby P2. It’s not bad on AA’s or Eneloops but its amazing on 14500’s or 16340’s. Its a real pocket thrower almost holding its own with a Sipik Sk68 but with a wider hotspot and modes. Highly Recommended.

Hmmm well now you guys have me considering another light I dont need. :slight_smile:

Would love to see some beamshots. (Especially NiMh.)

Nice video of it here.

I’ve had one of these for nearly 3 years, and almost always had run on AAs. Then I discovered you could remove a ring from the body and put a CR123 in there and it’s quite a bit brighter. Trouble is: what do do with the extra piece of tube when you’ve got a CR123 in it - don’t want to lose it! Once my wife glommed onto it, and I was wondering where it was for a couple of months. Found it in her purse. This is a thrower with a nice spot. I bought it because I thought it might be good for clipping to the bill of a ball cap, but for that use a flooder is probably better.