Mod: Small Sun ZY-T08 Emitter Upgrade - MT-G2. Now you can call it a Small Sun

I've been putting off this post for too long. Following that MT-G2 group buy thread, I noticed people are catching on, so I frantically went out and took some beam shots for this post :D

OK, so we have here a Small Sun ZY-T08 from Fasttech that on it's own is a very nice light. One day I decided to put the reflector over an MT-G2 I had mounted on my test heat sink. It took me two seconds to decide to put on in there. You'll see why when you get to the beam shots. ;)

The emitter of choice; a Cree MT-G2 5000k NW from Cutter. I picked up two a while back for my UF-T90, which turned out quite nice too.

I picked a driver that I thought would work from single-cell voltage so this would be a quick and simple mod. It didn't work out exactly as planned.

We're starting with this:

First thing; swap the emitter. This is straight-forward, so no progress pics, just the result. The main issue here is centering; In this shot I haven't figured it out exactly yet, but it's no big deal. The beam looks great even if it's off a little.

On to the driver. For this, I needed to keep the original as a contact plate, so I removed only the supply diode for the circuitry. Everything else stays. This way, I can revert to original (I never will, but the option is there).

I did a resistor mod to get up to around 4.5A. This host handles heat amazingly well. At almost 30W on the emitter, the heat is very well managed. The only issue is the surface where the star is mounted is quite thin. Some added mass inside the pill could help with this. I have not addressed this yet.

All done! That's it! simple as that. Right? Wrong. It should have been that simple. Turning on the light and it's bright for about one second, then it drops to low and flashes every five seconds.... What? Low battery, that's what! This 3V to 18V Buck-Boost driver does not work on a single cell! I am disappoint. |(

OK, so now what? My 2P 18650 light needs to suddenly be 2S 18650... Time for more modding!

If I reverse one of the cells and mod the switch, I can get this done! First the switch. I do not want the cells in parallel anymore. I use an X-acto knife, you can use a Dremel if you prefer.

I also do not want the switch to connect to the body anymore. I also need to connect the now-floating spring to the other side of the switch.

OK, switch end done. Now how to get negative to connect to the right place on the contact board. I started by relying on the lip around the edge, but that's a no-go. Too flaky, was disconnecting constantly.

I ended up adding a solder blob right where the negative end will be when tightened down.

To ensure this is always the negative end, I arbitrarily picked one side as negative and marked it. I tightened it down and transferred the mark to the head. That's where I added the solder blob. I just have to put the batteries in the right way each time, so I blacked out one of the battery symbols in the tubes to indicate the negative side.

Put in the cells, screw it together (always with the switch off), turn it on, and we have light; a lot of it!

Beamshots!

I'm very happy with how smooth and buttery the beam is. A very well defined hotspot, almost no corona, and an even spill all the way to the edge.

Indoor White(ish) wall beamshots, f/8, 0.5s, ISO100 Daylight

High:

Medium:

Low:

Outdoor Wall of trees, 18mm (29mm equiv.), f/5.6 4s, ISO400, Daylight

Here I compare the colour of the MT-G2 5000k to the XM-L2 6500k. The difference is very impressive.

Mouse-out ZY-T08, Mouse-over BTU Shocker XM-L2 U2 1C

In case there's any doubt, that dead grass really is brownish, not grey.

Output:

Updated July 29: The build has been improved by using a DRY driver and putting the emitter on a Noctigon DCB star. The build is basically the same (DRY is easier driver to work with), with a decent improvement in output (previous build was 1850 lumens and 28kcd).

Before lumens (stock 2.1A): ~600

Before Throw: ~48kcd

After Lumens: 2500 lumens after 30 seconds (freshly charged Panasonic NCR18650PDs)

After Throw: ~39kcd

Not bad. I like it this way. Now it earns its name; Small Sun.

Thanks for reading! searchID8935

Updates:
July 29: Updated the build to a DRY driver and put the emitter on a Noctigon. The build is basically the same, output numbers have improved.

great idea!

I can’t wait to see/hear what the beam is like.

fyi, i did some testing of the 3-18V driver.

Mine didn’t not have a problem w/ low voltage warning on 1 cell, but some component in it couldn’t handle the power and started to smoke. I suspect it would work if I potted it.

Probably doesn’t matter to you at this point…but if anyone else wants to see those results they are in the seller’s torchlite svd7 thread.

Crap! I want to see this! Just posted yesterday, thinking the T08 would make a nice host for this LED in the MT-G2 group buy thread, I got the LED, got another T08 on order.

Wouldn’t using T13 be easier? It’s already in series, 8.4V, but similar head and reflector. No need to mod that.

Heck, you might even use T13’s stock driver with only resistor. As far as I know it will buck voltage to match amperage, so 6.0V should be easy to get from its 8.4V supply.

Anyhow, looking forward to see the MT-G beamshot. :slight_smile:

Hehe, your comment was the kick that got me to finally post it. :wink:

Yeah, the T13 would be easier, and you might get the stock driver to do it too. I do not have one though.
Also, I wanted a (jacket) pocketable flood light with some throw left over in a massive spot. Worked out perfectly for me.

nice mouseover beamshot!

I’m really loving these MTG2s. very usable beam…

psst… i’ll trade you for one of my T13 :smiley:

OK, you ship the T13 first… then… :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I know not to underestimate beam size - that shot is just impressive.

Very useful - wide beam, wide spill, and the colour reproduction is very good too. Very nice mod, in all. :slight_smile:

Great Mod! Boy that 5000k looks more like 4000k doesn't it? Very yellow/brown looking.

It looks a bit more neutral in person. I consider the tint slightly cooler than a Nichia 219.
This light is very useful. The spot is huge so as a medium range searchlight it works well. It cuts through haze so the beam itself isn’t in the way. The spill is great, nicely even and wide.

Lumens: 1820… WOW! 8)

It looks like you’ve created the perfect compact flood monster. I love your driver mod. How long can you run it on high before it gets to hot or the cells start to sag?

I forgot to add that to the post. The driver has thermal protection, so it steps down after about 5 minutes or so. Without the resistor mod it should go longer.
I will do a thermal test tomorrow and update the post.
This light is very useable on medium, which would run for about two hours.

did you measure the 4.5A at the emitter or is that estimated from power in to driver?

This turned out sweet! Nice mod thread Relic38!

I like it 8)

I recall measuring it, but was a while ago. I may have to do it again to be sure. Another reason to write the post when it is fresh in my mind.

Nicely done relic38, thats yet another mod that I plan to do!

(I knew that I should have bought more than two mtg2’s :frowning: )