Modding a TS Jobsmart Aluminum Spotlight - MT-G2 Style - It's finished

I stopped off at Tractor Supply on the way to work and picked up this Spotlight. I need something to put the 3000K MT-G2 I have into and I figured maybe an old school Direct Drive light might be fun with the 3000K led.

dwesd3

It comes with both the 110v and 12v chargers and a shoulder carry strap.

wer4556

It's only rated at 250 lumens and that's fairly close to the truth. It boasts an Aluminum body. Well the rest looks like plastic, so we will see what gives.

asf34

It has an H3 6V Halogen bulb in it. I am guessing that it's 25 to 35 watts. It also has that small ring of 5mm leds for a "map light".

sdfgrt

OMG, I forgot what the old incans looked like. Yes, it's fully charged.

ujty234

sdfer5t

Nothing to write home about. It has just about no spill at all and a fairly tight spot, but no real power.

zxcs43

The reflector is metal and measures 90mm max diameter, with 85mm ID at the top and depth is 35mm to the bottom of the reflector, (not counting the bulb holder at the bottom). The lens is glass, but it's cheap glass and not very good, but it's better than plastic I guess.

asdq2h

With the reflector removed. The "head" is all plastic. That's not going to be good. The "Aluminum body" is just a shell and has plastic on both ends, so it's even worse.

dffi36

Back end.

we345yjyju

Battery isn't even held in place other than the two plastic ends.

zxsdt

Handle assembly.

xffyth565

Battery is 4 amp hour. Might be OK for the mod, but it won't last long.

5567jhj667y

Here's the MT-G2. I think I will use an SST-90 star, since it's thicker than the MT-G2 star and neither one is copper, so why not use the thicker one.

I do not have a clue as to how I will heat sink this thing yet. It will be a surprise to you and me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5-22-13

I managed to do a little today. I got the bulb socket cut off the reflector

fveethh6

and I figured out how the heat sink will be made. I'm just using left over parts here. I'm not buying anything more. I have decided that as it heats up here in TX, I will be backing out of modding for the summer, so I will just use what I have for now and only buy hosts, till I run out of money, cool air or desire. The heat is winning already.

xwwrtr4

vfgty764

The flat plate sits down in the plastic housing. The copper bushings go thru the housing and rest on the aluminum body. When the plate is screwed down, it hits the bushings. The heat sink will be screwed to the plate and hopefully a little (very little), heat will transfer to the body. I decided not to worry, as the 4000mA SLA battery should run down quickly and it won't last long enough to overheat that large heat sink anyhow.

The copper tabs are to get the wires away from that huge reflector base, so it does not short and so I can get it as low as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's Done, not much to look at

sadfefae1

The heat sink assembly and led in place in the head.

sfdrere2

Finished, reflector is stippled and glass is in place. You can see it's not coated glass as well. Told you it was a cheap light.

zcsdvwer3

I would estimate that it might be drawing from 1.5 amps, to 2 amps from the battery, direct drive. I don't think the battery is capable of any more and I'm not worried about heat at all, as the battery drains fast enough, that the light will never get hot. The 3000k beam looks like an incandescent. Just like all the old lights with what looked like very dim beams. It's not dim, but because of the yellow look, it seems to our eyes/minds that it is dim.

Oh well, win some, loose some. I knew this was going to be a flop from the git go, as it's an incandescent reflector and a 3000k led. Incan reflectors do not work with leds, unless you want a floodlight. Well that's what it is, a floodlight. I am guessing that it won't reach 30 yards, but it will light up everything to the front and sides within that 30 yards.

I will do a couple beam shots tonight, for whatever that's worth.

BEAM SHOTS

sADWD

drfwerf

Wsefef

Total flood light. Incan yellow look. Totally worthless. Range is about 10 yards max.

Can you tell I'm not happy? I'm not sure, but most likely I will just take the led out of it and get rid of the light. It's heavy. It's bulky. It's nothing anyone would want to lug around. It's ugly and I just wish I hadn't done it.

That's all folks.....

Nice job OL!

Can’t wait to see how this mod turns out. :slight_smile:

i have some small 12v fans. maybe youd want to try active cooling in this one?

Regarding the heatsinking, those flats in the aluminium shell look tempting.

Maybe they can be exposed with some clever cut outs in the plastic sleeve ?

OL magic on some sheet aluminium or copper would ‘do the rest’.

Made a paper mock up (way out of scale) of generic sheet metal heatsink idea :

(small cut outs on the side are for fastening with hardware to the aluminium shell and focal length tuning)

It may be a stupid idea thought.

Please, please please tell me OL that you dropped into tractor supply to buy bits for your tractor or old plough you have out the back on the way to work and not go there to buy a flashlight. Either way this looks like a nice challenge for you and I dont recall anyone else doing a mod with this 3000K led or light for that matter. That map reading light looks like it is about the same size as a P60 reflector. Just thinking out aloud, dedomed nichia running 2 amps on copper. Hmmm. Just out off curiosity may I ask what a light like that is worth for a comparison with pricing if I can find something like that here (I wont be going to the local tractor parts joint thats for sure). Good luck.

I have some 6V small fans and I’m not sure yet. Some day I have to do an active cooling light.

I am looking at that and I first thought of that as a way to get transfer to the body. I think it is a good possibility.

While I have been known to sow my seed in fertile fields when I was young, I did not go to TS to get parts for the plough… I did work on a farm when I was young and I did learn how farmers cobble parts together, to keep things running.

The light was $19.99 USD and it is a chinese made light. I have seen it on Taobao before, but it was more expensive on taobao than it was here.

copper stars are now available at intl-outdoor

http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-mtg20-copper-mcpcb-2pcs-p-717.html

I like your more practical mods .

This thing is gonna blast .

5-22-13 More photos in the OP

What driver are you thinking off using? This light may not have to be driven very hard to get descent output creating less heat?

Direct Drive, no driver, on/off. Old school.

Love going on these modified rides of yours. -good stuff

It's done. It's a total close range flood light, no more spot at all. leds don't work well in incan reflectors. I knew that going in. The 3000k led is just as yellow (or more so) than an incandescent bulb. It looks more like the glow from a fire than anything else. I don't care for it one bit, but it's done now. No use fussing over what's already done. I ain't tearing it apart. It might end up being a giveaway for the shipping cost, or something like that.

Beam shots tonight (after 1AM CST).

Thanks OL. From memory this is the first time Ive seen a 3000K led used. For this I thanks you as this is invaluable information. Some may even like the tint. It may be the camera settings but it seems to throw to the tree in the pond ok with a large spill directly around you.

Nice build!

The photos are of the light when I bought it, with the incendescent bulb in it. I haven't done the other photos yet. I will tonight. As far as the bright area off the the side, it's from a street light. I don't have any really dark areas, as I live in the city.

You did say that you were taking pictures tonight and after I read that I wondered why your night shots were at the start off the thread. My apologies. I think I’m getting worse.

Beam shots are up. It's just plain fugly.

Wow. Thats a lot off flood. You win some you lose some. Thanks for doing this as we have all won if that makes sense. There is always the next one. You dont like the tint from this light at all now its dark?

No, I don’t. I did not realize how spoiled I have been with 5000k-6000k range led lights. I just can’t see any reason for using the yellow lights for anything. They distort the colors so much that everything looks surreal.