Wait, what! 50A max discharge rate! o.O

This sounds like li-po disguised in li-ion 26650 body :bigsmile:

Source: HKE

I will have to buy 3 of them and replace my car acid-lead battery :stuck_out_tongue:

what an interesting idea

what an interesting idea

VT = Sonys line of IMR cells. But 50A is not enough to start your car. You'd have to use 2-3 in parallel. Better get some 26650 LiFePO4. ;)

VT = Sonys line of IMR cells. But 50A is not enough to start your car. You'd have to use 2-3 in parallel. Better get some 26650 LiFePO4. ;)

I have this idea for quite some time now, even have up to 25 Sony US18650GR at disposal (thought to start with 3s3p) for this experiment I just need a volunteer to hold wires :smiley:

P.S. Isn’t 3 pcs in series actually max 150A discharge?

Series increases voltage by a factor, and parallel increases available current by a factor.

I wonder how they will handle the heat of the car.

Parallel it would be.

Why not just use caps to start your car?

@ryansoh3 - Heat! well, the battery compartment is pretty big and the fan that cools engine is huge, it’s only meant as an experiment, for long-time use I would have to come-up with charging-discharging control circuit <- not an easy task
Pulsar - appropriate, let say 6V/2000-3000F caps are like 80$/piece here and I would need them at least 2

Same guy I think builds a smaller one. On my phone, if no one links it by the time I get home I'll try to remember to

This flashlight in 1x26650 configuration, xm-l's rewired in parallel, direct drive.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/19617

http://laserhacker.com/forum/index.php?topic=156.0

Edit: that one seems to use a Lipo pack... I'll try to find the right one later

Three pieces in series is still only 50A. Worse yet, you’re only at 11.1V. This might start a small four cylinder engine in warm weather. But that’s about it. And that’s not taking into account the problems of charging these batteries with a car’s electrical system. The other guy had a good point about LiFePO4. LiFePO4 is a MUCH better choice for a lead acid replacement due to the fact that four in series gives you 12.8V - perfect for a drop-in replacement for lead acid. And it can safely produce high currents.

Typical car "12v" electrical system is at 14.2-14.6v when the engine's running.

I think the OP was just trying to make a point that these cells have an unusally high max discharge rate for the type of cell that they are. Not that he is actually wanting to start a car with 26650’s.

contact in 3… 2…

:bigsmile:
but seriously, this Sony cells have very high discharge rate, biggest until now, that I saw were also Sony cells but 18650 with 30A discharge (not too popular though).

But what voltage will it hold at 50A? That's what will determine if it's a usable 50A or just more marketing gibberish.