Tofty's 5mm Array Drop-In (build finished 07/10/13)

Hi everyone,

I don't particularly like introducing myself so i'll show something i've been working on instead.

A lot of my builds, due to my interest in doing things differently for the sake of it, err on the expensive side and that's not really in the spirit of this forum.

This build however has stayed quite cheap as most of the stock material has been off-cuts and the components aren't particularly special, i don't think i've even broken any tooling yet either.

So i present my 5mm array drop-in:

I'm not really sure why i started making this drop-in, i suppose i just thought it would be cool to use something considered quite out of date, the original flashlight LED format of 5mm, but

in an 'as up to date as possible' kind of way.

The LEDs i'm using are Nichia NSDW570GS-K1's with a stated output of 28 lumens each and are one of the highest performing 5mm LEDs available (i hope).

I'm over-driving them quite a bit with 1.4A from the standard Nanjg driver so perhaps 250 lumens from the array might be achievable.

I've run out of silver solder so progress on this has stalled for now.

I'm also awaiting some stainless solder flux for the positive spring and some potting mix.

Hope this has been of interest, stay tuned for more progress in the next few days.

(07/07/13)

Right time for some progress.......

The flux for soldering stainless still hasn't turned up so i've had to some things out of the order i'd have liked, but this may actually have been a good thing.

All will be explained:

This picture just shows some of the lead paths before they get covered up by the rest of the assembly.

I didn't really want to solder the leads to the driver board before i'd installed the spring but with nothing else to do i pressed on with it.

One thing i did mean to do though was install the LED assembly into the main body before joining it to the driver as the body is narrower than the driver board.

After cursing and considering unsoldering the board i decided to dremel two slots for the board into the body section:

This actually worked out quite well as i can test the module while still having enough access to fix any problems that may occur.

Luckily it operated perfectly well for the second or two i tested it for and after blinding myself to make sure all 7 LEDs were operating i potted the leads to make sure they couldn't move and break when the wires are coiled up when the driver board is installed fully.

I'm about to do the same to the leads at the driver end, there is now a brass heat puck stuck to the back of the driver to secure the wires to.

Apart from the potting mentioned above i still have to:

Learn to solder stainless steel,

Tin the stainless spring, install it around the copper braid and solder it to the driver board,

Test the module again,

Pot the internal space in the module and secure the driver board into place with the retaining ring.

I'm very much hoping the flux turns up tomorrow and i can finally finish this project.

(07/09/13)

All finished thank goodness.

Soldering to stainless steel wasn't too hard at all with the right flux and a decent silver solder.

The brass contact puck is not soldered into place but fits tightly into the top of the spring. This makes replacing the copper braid a simpler task if needed.

I was going to put this drop-in into an L2N but since it hasn't arrived yet i swapped the Nailbender that was in this host; a lovely L2T Stainless Edition.

The drop-in gives a complete flood of light. I suspect the reflector does very little apart from giving a petal effect to the edge of the beam if observed close to a wall.

I'm finding it hard to do any tint comparisons as this doesn't have any real hot spot and i don't have any other mule type lights.

I'll mess around tonight to see if i can get some tint comparisons some way or another.

(07/10/13)

The beam turns out to be not very good at all; full of lines and shadows.

It's kind of pretty but not any great use as a light.

The tint comparison shots are of little use as this drop-in gives different shades throughout the beam.

The light on the right is from a edc+ nichia triple on medium, on the left is the 5mm array drop-in on high.

It was an interesting build and gave me the opportunity to improve some of my electrical and mechanical skills but it's a bit of a lousy light engine.

In retrospect i should have used the Nichia NSPW500GS LED as is has a 15 degree projection angle rather than the 140 degrees of the LED i used.

Yes, very interesting. I was watching some youtube videos where this guy was getting dollar store led flashlights and de-soldering the leds in them and upgrading them with 5mm leds. Most all the lights I saw he did had a very good light output improvement for cheap :wink: Welcome to this wonderful forum and thanks for sharing!

That does sound interesting. Look forward to progress updates. Welcome to the forum.

I’ll take one. I have a soft spot in my heart for 5mm LEDs.

That is at least very good looking and well made, I am looking forward to the progress.

I put Cree XLAMP-7090’s (1st gen XR-E’s) in mine: Review: Dollar Tree Flashlight (Lampe de Poche)

That is a lot of work and effort ....... WOW !

I would have loved to have seen SSC P4's or Diamond Dragons , but bravo sir !

Welcome aboard! I’ve always enjoyed your work on CPF; happy to see some of it here.

Nice work Tofty and welcome. It appears that you like torturing yourself as do a few other members here. Cheers.

Thanks guys,

@ Afterburnr: I've done something similar with a 9 LED cluster 3AAA light using some supposedly 365nm UV LEDs but due to their complete failure to cure Norland I suspect a higher frequency.

Easy enough to do and if i'm impressed by these Nichia LEDs I might have to give another cheap torch conversion a go. Cheers.

@ ImA4Wheelr: Thanks, hopefully I should have it finished by Wednesday.

@ Adam706: Excellent news, I'll put your name down for the second batch then shall I, pending R&D outcomes of course.

@ djozz: Thanks, nice to know you think it's good looking, it least it could be used as an ornament if it's output and beam turn out to be lousy.

@ texaspyro: I hadn't realised the XR-Es have a 5mm dome, worth knowing thanks.

@ old570: A lot of effort? Probably far too much for the result but it's a learning curve whatever happens. It would be lots of fun to go on a bit of a binge of using some of the more obscure LEDs not often found it flashlights.

Now you've got me thinking that with some small modifications to this P60 drop-in design, it can act as a drop-in with drop-ins. The separate LED plate can screw in from the front and the driver can be clamped into place from the back with only the wiring connecting the two. This will allow fewer parts needed for each LED/driver arrangement. Worth thinking about.

@ ruffles: Thanks, i'm not entirely sure what has and hasn't been shown over on CPF as I usually first post my work in the Multitool.org flashlight section. I'll gave to do an audit and see what's missing and also what should be posted here (probably not the 3D printed silver torch though).

@ MRsDNF: Thanks, I like to think of it more as challenging myself.

If I had started reading this forum a little earlier I would definitely have entered the scratch build contest, perhaps even going for the hand made option to force myself to be more creative but from what i've read so far I wouldn't have stood a chance of winning.

I've been enjoying all the build threads, including yours, immensely and look forward to seeing the final outcomes.

Tofty do you know the CRI of the leds you have chosen for this build? I looked around a bit, but can seem to find that info.

This thread has me thinking about various small lights I have around that I don’t use because of the terrible tints. 5mm’s would probably drop in these quite easily. Most are AAA’s and would be scattered around for convenient use otherwise. Do you have any recommended 5mm’s with neutral to warm tints and decent CRI’s? Product link would be great too if have any.

To be fair the choice of the LEDs was based on some very short research and what was being sold on ebay at the time.

I don't know the CRI percentage or the tint but i do have the data sheet:

http://www.nichia.co.jp/specification/en/product/led/NSDW570GS-K1-E.pdf

It gives colour ranks as X/Y points on a chromaticity diagram which means nothing to me.

The ones i've got are the NSDW570GS-K1 b4P11 so at least they're the highest flux bin.

I'm not expecting a great tint as this project is all about maximum output.

Yeah, I was looking at the data sheet last night. Somewhere I have a chart to interpret that x,y stuff. I’ll wait to hear your impressions after you complete the build. Thank you :slight_smile:

I don’t know how, because it was so frikkin’ amazing, but I had actually managed to forget about the printed torch until you mentioned it again. It was actually your QTC stuff that I remember most.

Budget or not, a photo gallery of even just a few of your creations would be great.

Nice to see you over here.

I can vouch for the quality and craftsmanship of Tofty’s creations having seen them in the real at a UK meet organised over at the Carefully Placed Funnel site.

Don’t be afraid to show off. 8)

@ ImA4Wheelr: Will do, i'll try and take some beam shots and tint comparison shots against some of the usual suspects.

@ ruffles: Thanks a lot, when i've finished this build i'll start a photo thread showing some of my work and planned future projects.

Hi Vas, always good to hear from you and thanks for the endorsement. Next meet coming up quite soon over on Cuddly Panda Fanciers, hope you can make it.

Stay tuned for some showing off quite soon.

That’s a great build Tofty! Really like the reflector. Welcome to BLF! :beer:

Hello Tofty :slight_smile:

Good to see you here matey. Hope you are keeping well.

Well with stuff like this who needs further introductions? Wonderful to have you here, and great idea to try this. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Yeah, those CPF guys only love expensive stuff, maybe expand your business here :stuck_out_tongue:
btw, nice machining there, if only I have a proper tools :~
anyway, welcome :slight_smile: