My Simple, Budget DIY "Light Bar"

Ever since I followed this thread Just off the CNC - Update: It's Alve!
and this 6 Xm-l light bar build, I saw a want need for something similiar for my zero turn.
Of course being lazy and cheap, I didn’t want to go to all the bother and expense of a full fledged professional looking and performing light bar as in the examples referenced above. I have been thinking about how to go about it for some time now.
My first thought was to use 6 of the MR16 bulbs similiar to the one I used in my $2.24 triple emitter Mag mod , I even ordered 6 of them from FastTech and have had them laying around now for awhile.
This type of light is perfect for my zero turn as it has a 12V system and these MR16s run on 12V in stock form. The MR16s even have a built in 12V driver that will deliver a constant 12V to the emitters even though the input will vary (the charging system) These lights are rated, without modification, at about 220 lumen each. 6 of these, i figured would be about 1200 lumen, but being Chinese lumens who knows? Bottom line I estimated that the toal output would be about the same as a single XM-L. That was my plan until about 2 weeks ago when I found these at Lowes on clearance for $1.25 each. These can be found on the internet for about $15, so $1.25 each is a bargain. Lowes had 7 and I grabbed them all. I want to say right now that this will be a “Lowes build” I got the main component, the LEDs at Lowes and I think that it would be bad Karma to use anything else other than Lowes componets, especially Home Depot.

The star contains 8 LEDs’ that seem to be connected in series, so there is no way to separate them for another Mag mod. When I saw the 7 on clearance, I thought perfect! 6 for the LB and 1 for another Mag mod, but no go. These lights are rated at an honest to goodness 310 lumens each, no Chinese lumens here. Nexxus Lighting had a hand in these and they do not fib! Here are pictures of the drivers in each and also the connections of the LEDs.
There is a full wave bridge on each, that means AC or DC.

Here is a pic of the top of the star, the 8 LEDs seem to be connected in series, for a forward voltage of 1.5V each. I do not know who manufactures these.

The soldiering that you see is mostly through holes that the individual heat sinks are soldered to. Some are jumpers connecting the 8 LEDs to each other in series.
The hard part of this is what to use as a suitable enclosure for it all. Over the weekend, I was burying a cable underground for a lamppost, working with PVC electrical conduit pipe and its related componets. I came across this part, a “conduit box” and thought what a great enclosure for an LED.

BUT, they come in larger sizes! The one pictured above is for 1/2 inch conduit, the box for my build is for 1 1/4 inch conduit.

Price is cheap enough, only $4.14 each
I needed 4 inches of 1 1/4 conduit pipe to connect the2 boxes but it only comes in 10 foot lengths, but that’s not a problem because 10’ only costs $2.87

Here are the parts of the build

2 conduit boxes, 4 MR16 HO lights (that’s all that could fit), 4 inches of 1 1/4 conduit pipe and 2 1 1/2 PVC connector, one cut exactly in half. Of course all parts purchased at Lowes.
This also came from Lowes, it is a set of replacement nuts for a lawnmower handle, perfect for my application!

The first step is to cut the holes in the face plate for the lights, those are 1 7/8 holes cut with a hole saw that I happened to have. The lights fit perfectly. This PVC is easy stuff to work with!

Afterwards I cleaned the rim of the lights and the edge of the holes with CPVC cleaner and glued the lights onto the plates with CPVC cement. If any of you have ever worked with this stuff, you know how easy and well it works. You also would know how messy and sloppy it can be with the included applicators. For that reason I used Q-Tips.
Next step is to wire the lights in parallel.

I only had black wire and besides polarity isn’t important as these lights have full wave bridges in them.
Next step is to make a mounting bracket, I almost caved and bought a piece of Aluminum stock at Lowes, but cringed at having to pay $8.35 for it. I did what I have done so many times in the past, walked the store looking for something else that could be used. I found what I was looking for when I was in the “Home and Storage” section. A support brace for a metal shelf………but wait, I have plenty of those already, I’ll use one of those and save the money! Here is a pic and a tip on how to bend a piece of metal in a vise. I used the largest adjustable wrench I have to grab the portion I wanted to bend. It’s hard to judge the scale of things here, but that is a LARGE wrench!
Once the bracket was made, all I had to do was mount the bracket, screw the boxes to the bracket.

Those are the lawnmower handle nuts in the pic to allow for adjusting the beam.

And lastly screwing on the face plates and wiring it up! DONE

Not exactly, In the background, you can see that I never did finish burying the cable! :bigsmile:

That is a fine budget light build, very BLF , great read!

And those leds are almost certain Nichia 119's, very good catch!

Those 8 leds look like Nichia 219 leds. For $1.25 that was a real steal if there are indeed nichia 219’s.
Did the package contain the words high CRI and what was the color temperature.
http://www.nichia.co.jp/en/about_nichia/2010/2010_110201.html
Djozz how can you tell the difference between 219 and 119? I have no idea.
From a price stand point, you may be right Djozz.

The Vf on white LEDs is ALWAYS above 3V. If the 8 LEDs are in series, that’s a boost converter in the bulb.

If its rated at 310 lumens then that’s only 39 lumens per led. Some where under 200ma per led, I’m guessing to deal with the heat.

maybe there is something in it that answers questions

Nice job! Much simpler than my mod (and probably less frustrating to build!). Love the use of the handle nut for adjustability! No where are the beamshots! The thread is worthless without beamshots!

-Garry

Nice build!

Those leds looks like 119s, these only have two pads under the emitter and no heatsink connection. The 219 have three pads. They’re both 92CRI anyhow, but 219 have higher current and more neutral color temp.

But on the spec sheet, the OTF measured CRI has dropped to 82+, is it possible CRI drop caused by the reflector setup?

At $1.25 for 8pcs, that’s a crazy good deal! The bare emitter costs $1.37 apiece at FT.

Garry you should follow this example and not take over a year building the same thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Love it. Yourself and Gary make me want to put lights on my mower.

Thanks for sharing your excellent budget build .

Well done sir .

Did you wire straight off the battery? Or did you tie into headlight wiring? If you tied into existing wiring, what voltage (&AC or DC) did you input to the "bulbs"?

-Garry

I am laughing my head off reading the comments. I KNEW when I posted this that the pics that would get the most attention would be the star and driver. :wink: Never mind that It took me almost as long to post it as did to build it. It was a very easy build.
No one asked where are the white cylinders in the parts pic, the 1 1/2 PVC connectors that I cut in half. The reason is I never installed them as I had planned. Once I cut the hole in the cover I realized the bulb fit perfectly as is. I knew that those 4 bulbs, even though separated by 13 inches would not deliver a wide enough dispersion to suit me. So initially I had planned on mounting the bulbs in the white PVC rings that I cut. They fit perfectly! Too good of a coincedence to pass up.

Once mounted in the rings (Bezel) I was going to sand an incline on the other side so that when that assembly was mounted on the faceplate the bulb would point silghtly to the side. That would create a wider beam pattern for the “light bar” I will wait though, I want to see if this lives as is before I go through the hassle of that. I would have to drill small holes in the edge and tap 2-56 threads to screw the bezel.
Also coming up is active cooling, as I am afraid of heat build up. Another coincedence, this old CPU fan 12V, brushless, and ball bearing fits PERFECTLY! “I love when a plan comes together”, to quote Hannibal from the A-Team (I identify with Murdock)

I used to love the A-Team! (Now you have that theme song stuck in my head!)

-Garry

You and me Garry, we’re the A-Team

Now, who would be MacGyver?

Wow! Between your build and garry’s, I almost wish I had a riding lawnmower, just to put something like that on it :)!

Right you are Sir!

I measured just over 3 volts across each LED (3.07), total draw on each bulb is 530ma, so with losses I would guess that each LED is driven at about 200ma and from reading the chart from this paper on a Nichia 119 http://www.leds.de/out/media/Datenblatt_Nichia_NCSL119T-H1_65721.pdf.pdf
it works out to about 40 lumens/led. This x 8 equals 320, right in line with the specs. If those LEDs are 119s, with proper heat sinking, could be driven far harder.

1.25$ ? oh ill buy 20 of them for mods…

LEDs are Nichia 119. not 219.

“could be driven far harder”
Now your talking. We got to have some yard mowing beam shots for that one. I have thought about doing this to my deere, I just couldn’t find the motivation to do it. The beam shots might get me off my rump. :slight_smile:
Nice build by the way. Thanks for sharing! :wink:

Are you going to encase the fan with some sort of filter to keep the air clean?

Do you have a model name or number on these bulbs, i am curious if my local lowes has any in stock