Review: SANRENMU 6261 Folding Knife

SANRENMU 6261 Folding Knife

REVIEW

This knife was on my wishlist for a long time. It's a very nice knife. First impression is better than expected from prictures on the net. I constantly get the illusion that knives on net look bigger. I know the measures are often included but still... in the end i get a smaller than anticipated knife. It's not a bad thing as most of them are quite nice being rather smallish. Once in a while i have to buy a beast to keep my inner spirits happy.

As with many other sanrenmu knives i own it is so well made that you got used to the quality of SRM knives so you expect no les than that. SRM has so far provided high consistency. The blade is not far from mirror finished which i like. The knife is very similar to the SRM 763 which got a pretty high reccomendation on our beloved BLF and i can most certainly agree on that. This cousin features a fake-wood imitation handle which does actually look rather cool. A bit less sophisticated look may appeal to many perhaps more to the more elderly who are fond to the conservative style.

The knife features an axis lock mechanism which quickly grew on me and i like to see that feature on many more knives if excecuted properly.

What to say more on this knife? Let pictures do the talk. A few examples with more or less known knives and the relative size comparison.

Compared with the SRM 763.

Compared to the Boker 073.

The knife was bought at TinyDeal.com. There is a discount code always flying the net. The packed arrived in 15 days which is fast service for my country. They managed to do their magic as many packages from TD came 11-16 days after being marked shipped.

The knife earns my reccomendation for a well made knife with axis lock and wood like aesthetics in EDC size. Bear in mind i'm no knife expert but i have handled many in the last months. At the price asked is one of the finest blades out there.

Didn't realize that knife wasn't one of the larger line - I'll have to look in to it.

The handle is most likely Pakkawood - it's sawdust that's been dyed with vegetable dyes and then formed using an epoxy - that knife looks like it's got multiple layers laminated together.

I'll, uh, get on to that knife handle section in the primer this week, probably.

Nice review. I have thought about this one a few times, but the grind of the blade has held me up. Does if feel thick or does it feel like it would slice as good as the 763?

Another great review Budgeteer! They are very well made and smaller than I expected. I love wood handles of all kinds and Sanrenmu's makes some of the most beautiful wood handles imo. I have 2 of these knives and they weighed in at 70.1 & 69.6 grams.

I also purchased mine at TinyDeal and they only took 10 days from when they were shipped to when they actually arrived. I definitely recommend the Sanrenmu 6261.

Very nice review Budgeteer! Looks like a real winner, especially at that price. Sticky'd.

I wonder if a similar version's available without axis lock. I have the similar but larger 962 with micarta handles, and love everything about that knife except the wood handle version looks even better and the axis lock is a literal pain (pinches) to use, lol.

I'm not a fan of the axis lock myself either. I prefer liner lock knives.

I have this one and like it a lot. I like axis locks when they are implemented well. My 6261 has a nice one that is not too stiff. The axis lock on my new EL02 on the other hand, is a real pain to use. It is waaaay to stiff and all but impossible to open without using the thumb studs.

Thanks for the review and great pics, especially those size comparison pics!

I have that Boker, nice, well working knife but just a bit too large for my taste.

Had to order this.

Edit: took 2, just in case. Gift the other one away perhaps.

Well, it took some time and effort to get it. MAnafont was out of stock, so I paid some more and bought from eBay.

I was waiting so long first, that I accepted the 4$ higher price...

About the knife:

-It´s nice and small, perfect to be pocketed easily, not too heavy.

-Good function. Easy to open and close, locking is sturdy enough to avoid accidental opening or closing.

-Blade does not wiggle at all, very solid for it´s size.

-Quite easy to flip open/close.

Can´t really think any cons, maybe the size if you are looking something for heavier work more than just basic tinkering, opening stuff up etc. Good casual everyday knife, great value!

According the news I got from SRM, this model will be dis continued, so if you like it, we suggest you buy this one when the price still doesn't go up like the 9 series.

Anyone seen this one for sale recently?

I bought mine from DinoDirect.

Right now it's $16.69, or €12.79.

Actually, I just looked up Croatia. They don't use the euro, and DinoDirect doesn't seem to take the kuna.

Anyways, here's the link:
http://www.dinodirect.com/knife-folding-blade-cutter-multi-purpose-wooden-handle.html?cur=USD
Might be a good deal if you have some leftover DinoPoints.

Thanks!

I really like that one, I think this will probably be me first knife I order via net.

This is still available from Exduct for about $10.

The axis button is a little rough and the tension is fairly tight. Aesthetically I’d prefer that the pivot end of the blade (flat end) were covered by the handle.

Edit: After using it for a little while and loosening the pivot a bit the opening and closing is fine.