Trustfire TF32650 6000mAh test/review

These are protected 32650 li-ions.This cell format is very rare and only few "manufacturers" offer this format,most known is feilong. Recent tests on net showed poor quality,that basically means no decent quality 32650 exists on market.The last alternative is trustfire,but should we trust trustfire?

So here's the first test:

2 tested cells show more capacity than expected(around 5650mAh at 3A and over 5700mAh at 5A),high voltage,and good tracking(ignore small difference at 5 Amperes,I was little impatient so 2nd cell wasn't fully charged,it was at 4.17V,while 1st one was at 4.19V,hence the difference).

Test at 10 Amperes activated protection circuit,that was disappointing.

So I removed plastic wrap to see pcb:

Only two 8205 mosfets,just like on 18650 cells?!

Next I tested bare cells with protection removed(5A and 10A only):

Result at 10 Amps is 5797mAh and voltage during discharge is much higher than on protected cell.

Temperature rise at 5Amp is about 7C,at 10Amp about 20C(that's much better than feilong(good one)).

Here's graph showing protected vs. unprotected cell at 5Amp:

Internal resistance can be calculated from these graphs:

Protected cell:~50mOhm

Bare cell: ~17mOhm

Protection circuit:~33mOhm

Based on all these data this cell (bare) should withstand 15 Amps without problems.

Comment:

Based on tests,this looks like best 32650 cell available on market.Capacity is excellent,especially at high currents,and internal resistance is low.But putting 2 mosfets protection on this huge cell is just ridiculous.

Nice result! The thing is I can’t believe they even bother putting protection circuit at all for this size.

But IMO, allowing near 10A is still reasonable though.

Where did you get this sample?

Thanks for posting. Its great to finally see some impressive results with 32650’s. With so many firefakes on the market, Im apprehensive in buying. Can you post a link to where you purchased these or another good source for them?

Thanks led4power. Nice review. As above. Where did the cells come from?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-2-pack-TrustFire-32650-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-3-7V-6000mAh-with-Protection-Board/923828575.html

No,protection kicks probably at 7-7.5Amp(just like tf26650 which has 2 mosfets also),didn’t test it because even 10amps is to low for my future application.

Great review, Thanks a lot.

Little over $10 a pop @ wallbuys:

http://wallbuys.com/Product/TrustFire-32650-6000mAh-Protected-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Red-Black-1-pack--9590

Ordered! Thanks again for doing this for us. My TK70 “shorty” will thank you for it.

Can’t quite read the markings on the protection chip.

Seems like a useful cell even for typical XML use around 3-5 Amps.
With protection cct, it should be capable of maintaining full 3 Amps using a 7135 based linear driver for around 4500mAh.
An 18650 3400mAh, depending on cell, would be more like 2000mAh at best.
Overdrive an XML to 5 Amps and expect maybe 30-40 mins full power, you need something like Samsung 20R to get 5A from 18650 and then will only last 24 mins till dead flat…maybe 5-8 mins at 5A?

Perfect cell for 3-5 amps to an xml2 on noctigon in a super shorty maglite…

Wish I had this info a few weeks ago, but better now than never. Thank you!

Thanks for review!

Ive been wondering about decent, yet budget 32650 for my Lumintop SD10WW!

Can anyone comment regarding Wallbuys battery quality?!

Depends on your light. If it doesn’t pull over 5a go for protected.

That's impressive. Now I just need lights to put these in.

Possible to add a MOSFET to the protection circuit? Also, on a per volume basis, these don’t seem worth the added cost over 18650’s. Volume is almost 3 x greater but capacity only 2x. This trade off (if intrinsic to the make up of cells)may be why ev manufacturers use the 18650 cell instead.

Hi folks,

Just got my order of (6) Trustfire 32650 Unprotected cells direct from Trustfire today. There was a bit of a delay due to them initially being out of stock. They sent me the cells with concurrent serial numbers on them, so how cool is that. All arrived with a static charge of 3.88 volts.

At this time, they are all on the chargers so I can test them in my Trustfire TR-J20. Naturally they fit perfectly in the Enova 8-Bay charger, and one fit perfectly fine in the Intellicharger i4, and using a magnet in the Trustfire 26650 charger. As soon as my Lumintop SD10 arrives from the Group Buy, I’ll have a second flashlight I can use the 32650’s in.

Possible use in a MT-G2, 2D mag :slight_smile: Led4power, can you measure length? If not, can you compare side by side with a known 18650? Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Eebowler,

The Trustfire 32650 Unprotected cells I have are 66.56mm in length. They are actually slightly shorter than the digital caliper indicated due to taking the measurement with a piece of scotch tape on both the positive and negative of the battery to prevent any mishaps.

But even at that indicated length, it makes the cells pretty much shorter than any of my 26650 cells I have.

:slight_smile: Thanks