New Defiant Zoomie with XP-G2 !

- So i stopped at a local Home Depot today to pick up some paint, and as usual i had to wander over to the flashlight section to see if there was anything new. :slight_smile:
Along with the same types of Defiants, Coasts, Maglites, and Energizer Lights they have had for some time, i spied a new box of just opened Defiant lights, a new “Adjustable Beam” light 2-Pack. I picked up a pack of them and the first thing i noticed these seemed to be heavier built than the other smaller Defiants i seen.
The next thing was the optics, it looked much like the LED Lenser/Coast style Zooming set-up with the moving-emitter-post were all familiar with. As usual i had to buy a pack to play with these “new” Defiant lights.
They came with the Batteries installed.
I got them home and tried one outside compared to a regular C8 i had at hand, and right from the start i was somewhat impressed with the output of the light. in full throw mode, it was close to the C8 in throw and spill, ( the optic gave it a usable spill along with the throw with the optic design,) in full Flood mode it has a very smooth and large spill, ( similar to a SK98 but wider)
Next thing i liked was the Tint, it is very neutral, very close to my EA4W’s tint.
Compared to the other smaller Defiant lights i have, this one seems to be built much heavier and better, it fits better in my hand for grip, has a beefy body design. It is a Control-Ring Zoom, with the tiny (10mm) emitter star on a moving (somewhat solid) Aluminum post, and a plastic retainer holding the star in place. (again LEDLenser/Coast) and a solid acrylic TIR optic style lens.
I did find Thermal Paste under the aluminum emitter star. on the tail end, it has a beefy rubber Clicky switch cover as compared to most other small tail-clicky lights, (*see bottom right photo along side of the C8) and will tail stand.
It is definitely a Cree XP-G2 emitter.
:Package Specs:
–200 Lumens. (from my evaluation comparing it to a C8 with a XR-E & 18650 it appears to be over 200 Lumens on High.)

- 3 Modes. ( High,Low,Strobe. ( and has a usable well-spaced Low from the High.)

- 4 Hour run time. (on the 3-AAA Defiant Alcalines that came with the light, i got 1.05 Amps at the tail cap on High, and 0.09 amps on Low.)

• 120 Meters throw. ( verified outside earlier tonight)

Overall the Anodizing finish looks better than the other Defiant lights i have, more of a matte/satin finish and “looks” like a more expensive light, and looks like a better build quality that the smaller Defiants.
I noticed it has a contact spring on the driver end, and a springed-button on the tail cap, and discovered a 18650 with a spacer-tube from another 18650 light fit perfectly in this Defiant and it works great on an 18650, making it very versatile & usable on either three-AAA Eneloops, Alcalines, or a single 18650 (with a spacer tube)

As for modability, the moving post design will limit how many amps that can be shoved through the XP-G2 without it overheating because of the mediocre cooling ability of this design, but maybe a dedoming and mild mods, ( adding copper wire to the springs, etc.) will give it a bit more output maybe, but as it is in stock form its a good light for all around use, especially with the nice tint, XP-G2 emitter, smooth beam pattern, beefy design, and ability to use an 18650, with only a cost of $ 14.98 for BOTH of them, ($ 7.50 per light) its a great light for the price! I like this model of Defiant better than all the other small Defiants i have, -and another to add to my Defiant collection. :slight_smile:

Seems up north gets better selection then us down in the US of A.

not really, things come out in US stores before we get it, everything from cree lightbulbs to fancy appliances

It looks like a ripped-off Maglite adjustment mechanism. Which means no heatsinking. Which means new custom pill to drive hard. Which means no more adjustability. Plus 3xAAA battery form.

Forgive me, but this seems very much a ‘and nothing of value was lost’ scenario for it not being in my local store.

These were still in the shipping box on the floor just opened by an employee, and not on the shelf hanger yet when i found them at my Local HD 6 hours ago.

its not like a Maglite (Mags have the regular reflector and much less heatsinking than this one has.) This is almost exactly like a LED Lenser design ( as compared to a Lenser i have) also it work with a 18650 perfectly.

same brightness on the 18650?
does it rattle or fit snugly?

No movement at all with a protected TF Flame 18650, and the spacer-tube from a Z4 trustfire light. because the 18650 is longer than the AAA holder, the 18650 compresses the springs more holding the cell tighter. its seems a bit brighter on the Li-ion, im guessing due to the higher amperage capability of the 18650 over the tiny AAA alcalines.

I want these tooo!!! I cannot even find them on the Home Depot website! Maybe this is a Canada only thing…

they are not on homedepot.ca so its possible they are in US stores as well

i cant’ find them on the HD website either. I’m guessing these are a new model that just arrived in the stores.

But when it comes to Defiant lights in Home Depot…this will be the second time they’ve gotten something we haven’t. Only speaking of flashlights…since we’re on a flashlight forum :bigsmile:

there are many lights (and LED bulbs) the US home depot gets that canada gets later or never gets, including defiant ones

But none of them are ones “I” want LOL

a trade would be in order, have your home depot people speak with mine :bigsmile:

I second this reply. :bigsmile:

a few more endorsements and we should start a petition on change.org :smiley:

Home Depot exchange program!

Except…ours sucks compared to some of the others according to the clearance threads recently.

I dont know, my local Depot doesnt carry most of the ones I see on here. Stopped there twice. I’m in northeast Pa.

Is the product number 1 000 755 899?