Kickstarter Luxor - Digital beam adjustment.

I stumbled across this the other day and didn’t find any search results on it here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/plxdevices/luxor-worlds-first-digital-focusing-flashlight?ref=discovery

The 780lumens total is pretty weak, but its an interesting concept. Presumably they use some high throw LEDs like XR-Es to provide the high throw, a floodier one to provide some spill, and several smaller ones around a plastic rim that diffuses the light to give a ‘lantern mode’.

Personally I think making a diffuser for an existing flashlight works a lot better. Turns out that a Coffee Can lid fits perfectly over a TK70 and has just the right amount of opacity to work as a great diffuser! Instant-flood/lantern mode.

I like the display.
But it’s just fading from the one to the other LEDs, it seems…

I like the display also.

Would be nice if someone could come up with a display that shows battery capacity…or is that just not possible?

There are lights with displays that show battery capacity. The Jetbeam digital display series shows a number from 1-9 I think. And the Imalent has a picture of a battery that gradually gets smaller (sorta like a camera viewfinder battery indicator).

Yup. The light appears to just have different sets of LEDS. The software fades one set in and the other out. Since some are turned for throw and others for flood, you get the “zoom” effect. You’re pretty much not getting max output in any mode because the LEDs don’t light up all at the same time I think.

Not quite the same thing as a zoom light like an LED Lenser where you get 100% output in both flood and spot modes or a zoomable aspheric where you get 100% in flood and 30-50% in spot.

the Luxor is an interesting concept, but it’s not for me. I like EDC lights and the Luxor is way too big for EDC.

The "lantern" ring that illuminates your feet will also illuminate into your eyes? It looks like so, I am not sure I want to see that source of light when I am in the dark.

Sounds like something that could be fixed though. If the light could tell which side of the light is pointing down, perhaps it could be programmed to only illuminate the LEDs on the underside of the ring.

Apparently there are 3 LED doing that lantern job, so that does not seem that easy to do, but not impossible.

It's no XR-E. They could have used XP-G2 S2 and some real throw, instead they use and XT-E with an unspecified bin.

The throw is specified at 10.9Kcd, for that head size is underwhelming, but at least is not overblown to some fake number.

Is there any indication it even has a gyro which would be needed to easily add the feature through a firmware update?

On these heavily overblown described products there is always something funny to say the least. "Computer Processor - Provides Intelligence"

Nope. At first I thought the digital focus in which they worked 1 year was based on a gyro but that is done at the click of a button and simply slowly turns off the side LEDs and slowly turns on the front facing LED. I actually thought there is a focus mechanism or something when they mentioned 1 year.

They worked 1 year on that? :smiley:
Sureee, I buy that.

they probably had the idea a year ago, and started designing a short time ago. but one year sounds better, so…

edit: it is 710 lumens TOTAL, so all 7 leds are on. but it is only 378 lumens in thrower mode.

The plastic “lantern” ring doesn’t seem like the best idea for a large flashlight. Just a place to break if dropped. Since there are just 3 lantern leds they could be mounted in 3 individual openings instead of a full plastic ring. Sort of like a crenellated bezel.

Sounds like very low output for such a large light.

I’m talking about mAh rating…so you could tell if the batteries you install are actually rated according to their label. Would that be possible?

Unfortunately, it seems you have to have an expensive setup, including a special hobby charger, to do this fairly accurately. Couldn’t this be programmed on a flashlight driver (controls) and then show on a digital display?

The real deal-killer is the Special Proprietary Battery. TOTALLY unnecessary and when the company goes out of business, you are stuck with an expensive paperweight.

Their batteries are expensive too!

Plus as mentioned, they just fade the emitters. Surprised they use crappy ones. Never even heard of this XT-whatever. Why they not use a real emitter?

Then they could have allowed for FULL POWER at any ‘zoom level’. 3 XR-Es in the middle for the super throw, an XM-L for the spill….these could be driven at say 10Watts total in BEAM mode. Then 3 XP-Gs for the lantern mode.

The caveat being that you couldn’t have both lantern mode AND beam mode at full power at any given time, but your overall lumen output would be around 800 AT ALL TIMES if desired instead of 300ish…unless you turn em all on at once.

Heck, even a single XM-L2 with good rev bin and a decent sized reflector could provide the Beam, and 3 XP-Gs around the outside do the Lantern mode. That would be good enough and way easier.

Might be a good idea for the Flashlight Build Contest! :slight_smile:

For a limited time only you can buy a second battery for only $ 25 !!!
Thats a $5 savings!

Ignore the fact that $10 could buy you a parallel Sanyos. Higher mAh with more then enough current for these anemic leds.