8 X eneloop MT-G2 silver mag

What does one do when one wants MT-G2 mega lumens in a single emitter flashlight but isn't comfortable running multi lithium ions in series? One runs an MT-G2 on eneloops of course! This post is going to be a bit pic heavy as I wanted to illustrate the process as best as I can. None of the modding techniques used in this built are overly technical though a couple shop tools come in handy.

The first step is to completely tear down a 2D maglite. The stock reflector and lens are discarded for this build. The tower of the switch assembly is cut off with a hack saw. The negative switch contact is cut off short and both positive and negative contacts are tinned with solder for future connection to the driver. Some plastic must be removed over the remains of the negative contact to allow room for wire connections A solder blob is added to the battery side of the switch to aid in battery carrier contact.

The aluminum SST50 reflector from fasttech needs some material removed on the outer diameter to fit into the mag head. A lip should be left so the reflector mates well to the mag head. Some aluminum must also be removed from the inner diameter of the head.

Add an AR lens from Kaidomain and the head is complete. OK that's not the AR lens but I'm not taking it back apart for a photo and you get the idea.

The light is going to be powered by eight eneloops in series so I need to be able to fit two 4 AA to D battery holders into the light which requires the inner diameter of the battery tube to be enlarged by a bit over a millimeter. The use of a well lubed 35mm bi-metal hole saw in a drill press accomplishes this end rather nicely (credit Old Lumens). Some creative use of driver sockets and wrench extensions were needed to bore to the required depth.

Because I expected to draw over 3 amps out of the batteries, the battery carriers had to be modified to reduce contact resistance. The flimsy metal parts and weak springs were replaced by copper parts cut out of 0.021" copper sheet with heavy duty springs soldered on. The tail cap spring was also resistance modified by soldering a 22 gauge teflon wire through the center.

The guts of the light came together better than I had hoped. I took a 3/4" thick piece of 1-5/16 " aluminum rod and polished one side. Holes were marked and holes bored for wire leads.

I needed a spacer to securely attach the beastly new version DRY driver I was using and found that 1" ID electrical conduit was a perfect match to the OD of the heatsink. Notches were cut in the ID of the pipe to accommodate some pesky driver components and the pipe was glued to the back of the heatsink.

Perfect! The driver leads were replaced with 22 gauge Teflon wire and the switch was attached with shortest possible wire length.

The emitter was attached to the heatsink with Arctic Alumina and centered to the reflector. Yeah, that's the AR lens.

The heatsink assembly was wrapped in brass sheet and press fit into the body tube. Fully charged eneloops drew 2.7 amps at the tailcap which should translate to 3.5-3.8 amps to the emitter. This is one bright flashlight with a terrific tint. It's about 60 yards to the maple shack.

I wanted to thank Richard at Mountain Electronics for excellent parts shipped fast as well as good advice given at all hours. I'm not sure the guy sleeps.

Thanks for looking,

Brian

great job on this ! :slight_smile:

Nice effort. Hows the run time?

Really nice job. Gotta love those MT-G2 leds.

gorgeous tint!

Sweet light.

Wondering though, 1" ID electrical conduit fits over 1-5/16" rod?

Sweet build! You are rocking the M@G´s world for sure. Gotta love a Nimh driven high power flashlight!

Beautiful tint and great workmanship. I’m very interested to own/build an MTG2 light someday.

very nice mod, I'm not into Maglites at all, but I really like the MT-G2's running at 3.5 amps on Eneloops!

Wow, nice MT-G2 tutorial. I really like the way you made your post, with nice clear pics. I might try to build me a 8xAA MT-G2 as well now, but with a different host. Again, thanks kyfishguy!

MRsDNF,

I tried a couple 26650s in series at around 8 volts to mimic the expected draw near the end of the eneloop's capacity and got around 3.3 amps at the tail. If we figure an average draw of 3 amps and a capacity of 2000mah we get a run time of 40 minutes on turbo. Realistically, I expect about half that.

Brian

well done!

Awesome work Brian! I am in the process of building virtually the same light, just running off 2xKK’s. How’s the beam? Any lumpy artifacts when white wall hunting? I have that reflector on it’s way from FT.

Thanks Jaredm,

I really like this reflector with the MT-G2. The beam is butter smooth with a medium sized hot spot, almost no corona, and a smooth transition to spill. Are you using the DRY driver? I'm really pleased with mine so far.

Brian

I am indeed going to be using the Dry. New version from Richard. I’ve had it for a few months now but never got around to building with it.

It’s funny because I was a little disappointed when you built your’s first… but I’m glad to hear that reflector worked well without any hole modification. I had ordered a backup version from FT incase it didn’t work well.

My build route hasn’t been finalized yet but I think it’ll be a 2D with anodizing stripped and a “brushed” finish. 2*KK 26650s. Dry. Probably a Judco switch. I need to study the driver to see if I can’t get creative with the mode switching like I did with the Nanjg’s… :wink:

Slight necro-bump, but did you consider 3-AA x 2 as a power source? I’m guessing that it would work initially, but then die after the batteries lost a little bit of voltage…

(All this is because I fear the process of boring out a mag to carry the 4-AAs.)

Hi Ruffles,

Six eneloops in series will light an Mt-G2 on direct drive but your amperage is going to be very limited. I went with the 8 AA because I wanted enough over voltage to make the buck driver do it's thing and make the most of the 2000mah capacity. It sort of sounds like you might make better use of a 3D and 9 AAs in series? Don't use the DRY driver with 9s AA on my say so as I can't remember what that driver's max rating is.

Brian

Thanks for the info. I like your approach, so I think I’ll just put on my man suit and get the mag bored out.