Review. LighTake SK98 (6003 T6 LED Mini 1000LM 5-Mode Adjustable Focus Flashlight Torch)

This light was kindly donated for review by LighTake. The light itself has some good features not often found on the cheaper lights which I'll explain as we go through the review.

Firstly the light itself. It is an unusual color being dark Bronze. Its quite attractive compared to all the black lights I have. Does it live up to its reputation as an Ultrafire? I believe the next few pictures shows it does.

And a picture with a well and truly used and abuse little brother.

Size wise it fits right in between the SK68 and Ultrafire W878 26650 lights.

Again the step in reflector size is pretty uniform though the night shots show that reflector size does not tell you how the beam pattern size will be.

On disassemble the good points outweigh the bad points.

The lens has a lot of very small bubbles in it though you cannot see these in normal use (I did not notice them at all until I took this picture). The lens is glued into the bezel. The bezel itself has sharpish edges but not the normal knife edge sharp you get on some lights.

The Tailcap spring is firm with the normal style sleeve covering it. The switch cap does stick out very slightly causing a very minor wobble when tail standing. The switch itself has a very firm smooth push to it. The oring is cosmetic as it does not seal against the body. It will need a slightly larger section oring for a seal. The threads are a step above the normal very rough cut threads on budget lights as they are throughout the whole light.

A shot of the ends. The cover surrounding the LED was pressed in and not floating. Again the oring on the head end of the light was to small in section to seal.

The pill has a brass sleeve holding the 20mm driver in. This was not removed. The driver is your normal run of the mill 5 mode driver except for one thing. It does not have next mode memory. It always starts on high. High runs at 2.25 Amps. Diameter is 20mm. The spring again had adequate stiffness to it. With springs at both ends of the light the longest and shortest batteries should fit without issue. 70mm long batteries were the longest tested in this light. The oring for the slide gives a very positive motion to the zooming function. Carrying the light in a loose pocket will not alter the zoom at all.

The LED is advertised as being an XML-T6. Not sure on the U2 bit though. The star is the usual aluminium. Diameter was not measured but I'd suggest it is 20mm. What lies under the led? Aluminium. It is not hollow like a lot of other SK98s. Good move.

The machining on the body was very well done along with the anodizing. The belt clip was your typical very firmly sprung clip. Heat could be felt throughout the light after a minute or so of being run on high.

In order of top to bottom is the SK68 running 1.4 amps, W-878 at 2.25 amps and the SK98 at 2.25 amps. The SK98 has the largest beams zoomed in and out.

SK68.

W-878.

SK98.

SK68.

W-878.

SK98.

There is a few more night shots here comparing lots of lights.

In all I did not know what to expect when this light was offered to me for review. There is a lot of these types of light on the market. I would have to say after testing I'm please with how good the light is compared to some on the market, though it is not the cheapest. The main let down was the oring sizes that were to small in diameter. I'm not sure if the battery tube was sealed with the proper sized orings whether this would cause the zoom to zoom out automatically with heat. The main pluses being firm zooming function, not having next mode memory, reasonably well driven, solid pill, battery lengths able to be used and my opinion only, the color.

I have had my eye on this light great comparison beam shots and looking at the star and emitter it looks like and easy upgrade to a Noctigon and a xml2 emitter set up , do you have any idea on the driver setup? Thanks great review!

Hi light junkie. I was not game to remove the driver as my reputation with things running power through them is only good for making them not work. I would assume there would be a large cavity above the driver. The issue I see is the 20mm in diameter driver (I am assuming this based on measuring where the brass ring presses in). Having next mode memory would of driven me to delve deeper but starting on high all the time and the current output being reasonable enough l can put up with it the way it is.

Nice to see a SK98 with a solid pill and not the typical hollow one. The fact that you felt the body heat up quickly tells that it works better than the non-solid models.

SK98…not SK68…the 68 is AA/14500 sized…the SK98 is an 18650

Good review…standard 20mm star, 20mm driver

I rebuilt a fasttech SH98 (SK98 clone) with a XM-L2 T6-4C on copper sinkpad and a Nanjg 8*7145 [custom firmware STAR V1.1] w/ 20mm adapter board [after I fried a TexasPyro 20mm custom build OSHPark driver :frowning: ) thing is crazy bright…but I removed the entire emitter cover and epoxied the star to the pill…no more rings or artifacts in the light at all…plus nice to look down inside and see the copper star and contact pads

Odd that is states the recommended battery is 18500?
Battery:1 x 18500 Battery(Not Included)

Oh and if you don’t really crank down on the pill when you re-assemble it…if you spin the zoom portion of the head counter clockwise (lefty loosey) it has a tendency to unscrew the pill

Honestly…the color is nice and the $11.95 ain’t a bad price

i could see me having one of these to play with, i suppose one to keep actually working, LMAO, and one to “play” with…

room for batteries, no next mode, no hollow pill, half decent output “as is” out of the box, and some half decent threads? sounds decent to me, in order to pay an extra buck or two for one.

(I dont have a SK or clone style yet… my 2 zoomies? are generic ones i bought from a local brick and mortar store)

i need something with a built in belt clip, for EDC-ing… this looks promising…

I have one on order from fasstech sk98 for the price I took a chance and pulled the trigger lol MRSDNF I kinda feel that way myself but WAR HAWK AVG for answering my question as I was hoping to put an upgraded driver do you think a standard 105 17MM with brass 20 mm o.d. work?

It sure lived up to its name. Im sorry about your car MRsDNF.. Looks like the light got a nice baked finish in the fire.

Thank you for the nice review.

Did I properly see a beamshot of a SK68 (AA) beating a SK98 (18650) light in brightness? Or was the beamshots taken with 14500 cell

If 14500, what is the runtime on high? Does it get hot?
If that is on AA, I’m definetely getting 1 or 2 for gifts =)
If the beamshot was on 14500, can we get an AA beamshot?

Thanks for the great review and great beamshots.

it should…will have to solder the ring to the driver and then press fit it into the pill

The SK68 gets rather warm on high with a fresh charged 14500, the SK98 does too but it has alot more meat to wick the heat away

Thanks for the review.

What do you mean by the U2 bit? The product page doesn't say U2 anywhere I could find.

Ah! Thanks. The printing on the board doesn't mean anything though, right? You see boards marked XM-L with XM-L2 emitters on them and vice-versa.

I' sorry but I'm not sure what your after. The SK68 was running a 14500. I dont normally use them in these lights as I use normal heavy duty throw away batteries in them. Which picture are you referring to for another picture?

Might be confused since you called the review light an SK-68 in the thread title. I was for a bit. Well, still am, but not about that anymore.

Damn. Sorry guys. Heading fixed. This was a SK98 light being reviewed. I'm sure you all new that though?

Yeah I was confused too - the title was sk68 review so naturally since a SK68 was in the comparison… one would think that was the light being reviewed.

Sure, the thread said SK68, and there was an SK68 shown, along with an SK98 which was the actual review light, which the seller calls a 6003.

What could be simpler?

Now its clearer. Much better and clearer :smiley: