Jake's Birthday Light

I decided to make my nephew Jake a light for his 18th birthday. He recently built his first computer so I figure there must be enough geek in the guy to appreciate a hand built light. So I bought some parts from RMM, a triple XPG a Convoy S2 a clip and a copper spacer. To that I added a Carclo 10507 and a Qlite driver running at 5.8amps both of which had been previously purchased from RMM.

I failed to notice the gold plated jumpers I had ordered for the Noctigon sitting in a rolled up little ziplock baggy at the bottom of the package from RMM because… I dunno why. So I figured I would make some from a piece of copper. I annealed it and hammered it square and cut it up then reflowed them on. Not real pretty but functional.

I ran into trouble soldering the Noctigon to the copper spacer and knocked a lens off of one of the XPG2s |( now what. I talked to Dale who suggested testing to see if I liked the medley of hues. So I red-necked together a test bed if you will.

I liked the dedomed better! To the gas bath.

Three hours in gas and the insulation on the wires swelled huge! Soaked in vodka for 4 hours then left out over night and then the insulation shrunk away from the Noctigon?! So I removed them, connected the pill spacer and Noctigon. I JB welded the driver in as all those 7135 chips wouldn’t let it sit right so now its potted, I added copper braid to the springs and put it all together.

Next to the Cypreus…

I really, really like the hue and tightness of the beam. Here is a wall shot of the beams from the Cypreus with dedomed triple XPLs on the left and Jake’s S2 with triple dedomed XPG2 R5 3Cs…

The hues are exaggerated as the iPhone camera is challenged but does reflect the difference between the two. Now I want to build one for me. It’s nice, tight beam, great hue of white, throws well for a triple and does not get painfully hot on high nor does it have pulse width modulation. Sending with a pair of Samsung 26Cs that are ICR and take a 4.3v charge so the cheap charger won’t hurt and it can safely give the amps. I hope he enjoys it.

love the beam on the left!

(Jake is a lucky nephew)

Good writeup. Did you happen to take pics of the bad things that happened? EG pics showing off the swelled wires or problems with the Noctigon? No shame if you didn’t: once things start to go wrong photography takes a back seat to getting things done!

Thanks Saypat. The light on the left is from the Cypreus or the “Texa-Cali Toaster” it’s no slouch and the beam is nice an neutral but not very safe the way I put it together.
It burns through heavy grocery bags…

And through my pocket and into my flesh!

I figured I should introduce Jake to flashaholism with a more forgiving yet insane light. I remember years ago wanting a VanIsleDSM Quad so badly- this triple, if it isn’t brighter then it easily gives one of those a run for its money at a fraction of the cost.

Great build and great writeup. Thank you for taking so many pictures. I love reading these here kind of threads :-D

And gotta give it to you: That burn mark is wicked! What a performer!

I sure hope the nephew is happy with it or you can tell his parents that a tall red haired danish guy is ready to be adopted! LOL :-D

^ haha

Really ...hey uncle scotty

Stop showing thigh shots on blf this is a family friendly forum .

Yeah, sorry, Boaz I know it’ll throw you off of your feed seeing my pasty white flesh like that- even without the burn. I never thought to take a picture of it while it was blistered. That’d really bring up lunch.

Nice light ... nice tint

I don't know anyone who doesn't want one of these . you are indeed a good uncle .It's good to be the teen.

Loved your right up. You put a big smile on my dial.

I just so happen to be 18 … and shopping for a new uncle. Care to offer?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Hehehe… :bigsmile:

That could be rugburns