Convoy S3 advice needed

Hey all. This is my first post here though I’ve read several hundred BLF forum posts. Great site!
I’m looking for a new light and I’ve pretty much settled on the Convoy S3 (unless someone can convince me there’s a better option that suits my desires). I don’t need another flashlight of course but I’ve been hooked on these things ever since I bought my first SK68 clone. I’m hoping those with more experience can help me pick the right flashlight. I like the size of the S3 and the stainless bezel is a nice touch. I wouldn’t mind a pocket clip but I can live without it. I like what I read about the customization options available when buying from Simon though I never have and I’m a little unclear exactly how to go about it. I love the few customized triple LED S2’s and S3’s I’ve seen (JohnnyMac’s was AWESOME!) but they’re out of stock, not for sale and most important…out of my price range. Only Convoy seems to be able to pull that off with quality. I’m thinking 2.8a, 7135*8, XM-L2 but after that I get lost in tint choices and whatnot. It will be running on TF Flames (red-black-gold wrapper). I know they’re not the greatest batteries out there but they’re affordable and have served me very well the last few years. I have a Convoy C8 and a nicer 501-B but they are too big for my liking as an EDC. An great little Olight i3s is in my pocket at all times but sometimes I just want more light.

My ideal light for this round:
A small (pocketable) 18650 light that can accept protected cells, looks good and has some “Wow” factor on high.
Preferably neutral white (not crazy about yellow or blue)
No blinkies and I want that 5 second Convoy blink gone from the low mode. The 2 mode group switching was a great idea but that blink drives me nuts!.
Not concerned about heat. I can always switch to a lower mode but I want the brightest turbo I can afford.
I want the quality and safety that come standard on Convoy lights
I need to keep it around $25
I want more flood than throw with a smooth beam and no blinding hot spot so probably OP reflector.
Most importantly I don’t have the time or experience to modify it myself so I need to be able to customize in my order.

Just a few years ago I think that would be asking way too much for $25 but it seems quite doable these days. Convoy seems to have played a big part in that. With my first Convoy light I was blown away with the quality and options at that price range. Who do I buy from and how do I go about ordering my customized light? Please help me choose my next light and hit me up with any questions. Thanks!

I realize you said you have not time to put one together, but ………Richards “build and test” option ($4.50 if you are willing to wait for it) is out of stock at the moment.

MtnElectronics

S3 host $13.50

XM-L2 U3 2A LED on Noctigon 16mm MCPCB $6.89

QLITE REV.A 7135*8 3.04A LED DRIVER - 17mm $4.20

Mode groups (default qlite firmware):
1st Star : 2% - 25% - 100% (Default)
2nd Star : 5% - 30% - 100% - Strobe - Beacon
3rd Star : 15% - 100%
4th Star : 5mA - 2% - 25% - 100%

You select mode groups by making electrical contact between the desired star and the outer ring (ground).

Sub-Total: $24.59
US Envelope Shipping: $2.32 (to me in Illinois, anywhere in U.S. should be similar)
Total: $26.91

Edit: This combo should give you around 800^ OTF.

I just finished one (S3) as well, but @ $50 in parts, its double the price, and way more work than you asked about.

Guess I should do a build thread about it at some point.
Too late to take “in progress” pics, but I can show how I did it.

Hope you find something,

Jim

Thanks Jim. I’m in Michigan so shipping should be around the same. That sounds like it would be a great flashlight. The only issues are 1) the wait and 2) I don’t even own a soldering iron. Sad but true. I will remedy this in the future but for now I was hoping to order something with the work already done. I’d love to see that S3 you built.

Sorry. I didn’t realize what the “build and test option” was. Sleep deprivation is getting the best of me. I will look into that. I’ll have to see how long it would take. That’s a really nice option for a few bucks more. You’ve also got me thinking on building my own. I don’t think I’m going to do it for this one but I’m on the fence. It’s definitely on my list of things I need to learn. If it’s as easy as you make it sound I’m going to be expanding my hobby quickly. I want to stay small with this one for pocket carry. Is the S2+ a good option or is the build quality not as good? I really like the look of the S4 and the S6 but I hear they can’t accept protected cells…

If you go with a S2 or S2+ (the red one has the metal switch cover) you can attach a clip to the holes at the tailcap. There is a set complete with screws available from Convoy. The S3 has not the right tailcap for that - but most of the other Convoys do. The built quality is usually quite good - there should be no differences between the models.

I’m confident that any Convoy light would be good of good quality in it’s category but my main deciding factors in this case is size and looks. My hope is that this will be a new EDC for me. If I’m going to carry something every day I want to like the way it looks. The S2+ fits the bill in the size category, it looks good and I do like the metal switch cover on the red one but personally I like the look of the S3 better so unless there is a specific advantage in the S2+ I think I’d prefer the S3. From the reviews I’ve read (please correct me if I’m wrong) it sounds like the S3 may have better heat dissipation which is important considering that I want to push this one pretty hard. I’ll keep the clip in mind though. Thank you.

You sure? It says it's for new S3 too.

I made extra hole to my older style "S3" tailcap for that clip.

You’re right. I have the old style too and was only looking at some pictures at Banggood. But here is the new style and it has two holes for the clip:
http://de.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-Gray-Convoy-S3-Cree-XM-L-U2-1B-AMC7135-3-2-Group-3-5/330416_1106058070.html

add up the extra cost for the 7135's you want and "buy" .01 from him that many times to make up the difference in price between stock and modified. Say 7135*8 is $.88, order .01 in QTY of 88. You'll love the s3. I love it most for its shorter reflector that throws better than other s reflectors. Don't worry they all flood it's the nature of the light. I want an s2 now! Have 3/4/5/6.

The S3 is also known as a T12, from intl-outdoor.com
Kit, or built to your specs.

Yeah, that's what I have, with Nichia 219B. Also had one with XP-G2 but sold that to my brother.

Has anyone here actually tried that clip on the S3? Those holes according to specs are were added for a lanyard so it could still tailstand and are rounded so as not to wear through the lanyard cord. I’m not saying it won’t work. I hope it does. I’m just wondering if anyone has put that clip on the S3.

Thanks for breaking that down for me. The custom build from mountain electronics sounds like it might be a little better but the “build and test” option isn’t available right now so I may just get as close as I can to that build from Simon at Ali.

I have the exact light described by blazer in my pocket, with the exception of the tint. I ordered from mtnelectronics, but I did the build myself. It’s the perfect pocket light, imho.

I only have the S2. It tail stands better than the others and the reflector is really deep. The spill is narrow and the beam is floody. As for tint, I think the XML2s that look most natural are the 3C, 4C. Some people don’t like them much warmer but you usually get higher CRI at the expense of lumens.

The Convoy clip works well on most models with two holes in the tailcap.

But you can uses most any clip that fits 1” diameter lights under the tailcap. You will need to add some metal spacer in the tailcap so that the switch contact ring still makes a connection to the end of the battery tube.

Here is an example.

I use a spare clip I had from an HDS light. The clip is larger than the battery tube so the fit is sloppy when the tailcap is not tightened down, but when tightened it holds the clip firmly.

Looks like I’ll be getting that clip too. I think it adds a nice touch. Has anyone ordered a customized Convoy from Simon with the three mode (5% low - 30% mid - 100% high)option? What I really want to know if it gets rid of that blink in the low mode. Love Convoy…hate that blink. In my opinion it makes the low mode unusable.

Ok so I want to get as close as possible to the setup suggested by Jim (Blazer296) with a customized order through Simon at Ali since Richard at MtnElectronics won’t be able to touch a custom order for weeks. I stopped just short of begging him. It looks like the closest I can get is to order the S3 with options 7135*8, XML2 T6-3B and mode set to 5%low-30%mid-100%high (No blinkies). Does that sounds about right? Can somebody please comment on how long I can expect to wait for a build like that from Simon? I live in Michigan.

Coming from Simon, orders can take from 3 to 5 weeks because of the shippers and customs. I have 2 hosts hung up in Shenzen Customs right now, but that is not Simon's fault.

I wouldn’t fault him for a customs delay. 3 to 5 weeks is rough though. Is there a US based seller that will build a customized Convoy S3? Besides MtnElectronics of course because he’s backed up for weeks right now. Really starting to wish I had a soldering iron and some practice working on flashlights.