Frankenlight V0.2 - XHP35 meets Seanna

Hi!

i posted already some measurements in the XHP35 tread....

(from V0.1 where i held the parts together with the hands...)

since i do not have much shoptime i wanted to show my "work in progress" to gather some thoughts from you ;)

today i used some scrap to build Frankenlight V0.2 which works, but is far from finished in mechanical terms...

I used a XHP35 (12V) from Cutter on a noctigon.

to power it i modded a SRK-clone:

the old driver was stripped and converted to 4S

see the red wire on the right side between cell 2 and 3?

i take 8,4V (2S) there to power a LD-2 since it burns at 4S :(

LED+ goes directly to the "end of the cells" and LED- to the FET

i also hooked up a e-switch since my Host does not have a tailswitch (now)

the LED draws ~2.8A and produces 2000+ Lumens

.... and a lot of heat!

i accidentially powered it upside down on my bench - it burned a hole in the wood and all the coal sticked on the LED !!!

i scrapped it off with a scalpell and luckily the LED survived - but i think capability for high numbers went down... :(

in my panic to "repair" the LED i did not take a picture...

too keep that thing cool i digged a Cooler from a old laptop and modified it to marry a 4mm copper plate and a new 12V fan (which is connected to the LED so it runs controlled by the LD-2)

i used studs in the Ledil Seanna to clamp the cooler/copper sandwich (the noctigon is held in place by 2 cable ties) with a plexi plate behind the reflector..

also a angle iron was sandwiched to Frankenlight to hold it "better" and keep the host in place also with a cable tie...

my luxmeter (mounted at the wall in 3 m distance) reads ~15% high...

M43 XP-G2 DD reads 8050 lx x9 = 72.450 cd

Frankenlight reads 109.500 lx x9 = 985.500 cd

beamshots done quick with my phone without tripod in manual mode (ISO800 / 1/4 sec)

all are control-low-mid-high

distance 50m

distance 230m to the toiletbuilding at the end of the alley (i saw ISO1000 was used by the phone here)

250m to the pole in the middle

beam hits the full moon (see beside how bright it was?)

to do:

make it look nicer

use a new LED

adjust the LED properly to get max throw

make it look nicer (big issue atm ;) )

Wow following in the footsteps of great OL :stuck_out_tongue:

That thing is intense! Great build so far

Nice work! :slight_smile: that throws quite well.

nice batman call sign light :slight_smile:

Well done, being able to successfully complete a hack like this obviously took some effort. Out of curiosity, do you know what kind of numbers it would make running an XP-L at 7A? I think the lumens would be similar, and throw would be higher.

Wow I didn’t even know there was an xhp35. 1800 lumens from such a small package, the throw could be insane. Would be difficult to put in a single cell light though with voltage of 11 volts.

Kkw, I do.think the Xpl will take 7 amps, I think 6 is theax iirc. Check Djozz testing of it, I think it melted a bond wire at 7 amps

Great hack! Almost a million cd must be fun to play with :-)

I don't think it needs any polishing, it looks great like it is!

i am thinking of a better mount to make it less wobbly at least… :wink:
fine adjust the focus
center the LED
tailswitch
shorten led wired 15cm now -but @13V no big issue…
clean it up

i have a lot of other things to do also.
hope i finish this one soon

It appears his V6 2C testing went to 8+ amps, no premature death at 7A.

Djozz XP-L test

Yes, but I had less luck with XP-L's that were bought later (some 80CRI 5-ish tint), killed more than one at 7A :-(

Have any of the newer 1,2,3 tints been a problem or just the higher numbered tints?

I didn’t remember reading you say that you had problems with the higher tint numbers, so I’m glad you chimed in.

d’oh !
even more throw? why?
cant compare on the phone easy…

i wait for a part off the laser cutter from a friend which should make the seanna very “modular“ :wink:

I want one of these just to say I have one!

Damn, I missed this one. My favorite part about BLF is builds like this. Congrats big time M4D M4X. :)

Mouser seems to be selling that lens for about $40. You aware of anyone selling it for less?

Thanks!

i bought at cutter because they had the better price + shipping

ind i did not try to get a second one since :wink:

Ive been dabbling with the purchase of a Seanna ever since they came out. Do you have a link for the $40 price?
I can only find a price of about $60.
Cheers!

^

Hmmm, I must have misread yesterday. I should have saved link. Searching now, I can only find the same $60 offer as you linked to above. Sorry for the confusion.

^
No worries and thanks for looking. Now that the XHP35 H1 has become available and been proven in other mods, I was considering a triple Seanna build. But it is a surprisingly large “reflector”. A few quick calculations show the minimum width across the front mounting plate would need to be about 14.5” in diameter to accommodate 3 of them… which makes me think it may not happen after all. :smiley: