What did you mod today?

I’ve investigated it a little bit more with spare XHP50.2 on mcpcb (ordered 2, to be safe). It produces pleasant white light in quite wide angle, but sides have very strong green-yellow tint. Without reflector, it’s ok, but when reflector is used, this side light is reflected forward and causes this awful color. So this is “normal” for all XHP50.2 (can’t imagine, anyone would buy that and be ok with it) or are both my emitters lemons?

I really hate this, it’s worse than how it looks on that photo. What are my options? Swapping it again for XHP50 (not .2) 4000 K?

The led manufacturers make their leds for the lighting market, not for flashlights, apparently in general lighting fixtures (that generally produce flood light) this strong tint shift does not happen.

In your case going back to XHP50 could be a good idea. The 4000K 80CRI leds from Cree usually have a nice tint so that may be still an option? (no idea where to buy one though)

with the “flip chip” technology a slice of the emitter is pretty easy as there are NO bond wires to worry about. You could try slicing with a good sharp razor blade , staying just above the phosphor layer. Then you cut straight down beside the main die and take off the outer layer of the phosphor to clean up the olive tint around the edges of the center of the beam.

Here is an example of the 70.2 in a ThruNite TC20 with a cool white 70.2 in it , but usually the end result is very similar with the 50.2 or the 70.2.

Before Slicing…

Not the greatest slice I ever done but here is the basic idea in the end…

Medium mode before slicing……

Medium mode after slicing……

If loosing some throw and about 5% lumens doesn’t bother you too much—- Try some DC Fix —-It works well in these cases

Like robo819 shows above, dicing the phosphor off the substrate goes a long way towards eliminating the unwanted tint shift on the flip chip emitters.

When the dome is on it’s somewhat difficult to see where the die actually is, but once the dome is sliced off it’s much easier to see the actual die and make the vertical push cut down to the substrate, a flick outward then usually dispenses of the phosphor that is layered onto the substrate. I don’t do this so much for gaining throw as to rid the beam profile of the ugly tint shift in the aura. This is what I refer to as a slice and dice. :wink:

Finally finished my last GAW light!

Built these 2 drivers (all 0603 components and legs bent in on tiny85’s)

Stacked them together, wired the Nitecore stock drivers switches and switch LED to them with 32AWG wire (first pic is first driver of stack up going in and being wired then second driver set down on top and wired)

Dual drivers tested and running, just waiting on mcpcb glue to dry to assemble it!

Edit teaser pic for now, video of running tint mixer light coming later once it’s dark out.

Your solder-Fu is much greater than mine!

Orsm work Ck. I greatly admire your skills. I wish I would hurry up and grow up so I can be just like lots of members here. :slight_smile:

Nice C_k !

Your pics load slow, I think because you insert them full-res. You set them to display a screen percentage so it displays good, but the page still loads the full file sizes.

Great work CK!

I put a 4000k sst-20 in my D1.
It cleaned up the beam a bit, less tint shift and hcri.

Thanks!

I’ve noticed that too, I host with imgur, how do I get downgraded images for posting?

You can upload them in smaller resolution :wink:
There are some resolution options on “Auto resize”. I normally upload mine in 1024x768 and they open fine!

Besides this: AWESOME work!!! I wish I knew the things you and many other people know, machining, soldering, electronics… :open_mouth:
Great work!!! :+1:

I use flickr and although it is a pain to extract the links for use in inline images, they do offer links for a variety of smaller sizes of your uploaded picture.

I do not know how that can be done with imgur.

You take the URL and add a letter at the end.

Thumbnail Suffix Thumbnail Name Thumbnail Size Keeps Image Proportions
s Small Square 90x90 No
b Big Square 160x160 No
t Small Thumbnail 160x160 Yes
m Medium Thumbnail 320x320 Yes
l Large Thumbnail 640x640 Yes
h Huge Thumbnail 1024x1024 Yes

Also I found ‘r’ makes 1456 x _, also keeping proportion. So even bigger than the “huge thumbnail”
And I found another, ‘g’ does 728x_ with proportion.
b:

t:

r:

Gave my enogears some love.

Copper mcpcbs and hicri.

Left 219b sw40 9080, right 3000k sst-20.

Nice emitter swaps Geuzzz !

Changed the optic on the jaxman e2l.
It had a frosted wide optic and changed it to a 10507, narrow spot optic.

Actually a very nice and usable beam.

Thnx. Verry nice and warm around the house lights now and muggle proof on nihm.

Never Ender beam :slight_smile:

:smiley: