Courui D01 mod thread, my take on the process and it lives. mattlward

I picked up a Courui D01 here recently. I have been considering the options while playing with the light every chance I get. I have decided that it is just not hot enough and I really do not like the mode set on the light.
My thoughts are as follows:

1) Braid battery board
2) Add tail switch (at some point)
3) Custom contact board
4) FET+1 driver
5) Copper heat sink
6) DTP copper star
7) XM-L2 0D or 1A dedomed

I have found a problem I did not expect. When I added the tail switch, I modded the modes to include non-zero values for the first mode definition. I assumed that would allow the MCU to boot into the first defined mode… No go, it does not boot until the side switch is pressed. :slight_smile: Wight has been helping me work through this issue, I am using Star momentary, or trying to use it.

I am planning to post updates to this thread when I complete steps and run into problems.

Battery tail board work.
It is done, not real happy with the braiding but it will do. I do not want to take a chance of damage to the board, likely can’t replace it!

Jumper has been replaced with a switch in the tailcap.

Contact board in from Osh Park.
I am not completely happy with it either. The center power drill is not the size I wanted, it is to small and the LED+ drills are also to small. I can drill both out since the wires will be soldered on the battery side of the plate. I could have also made the board 1mm larger diameter.

I will have a couple of contact boards left that I will not be using, only have one light!

The driver will be soldered thru the center hole in the contact board and 2 or 4 copper strips will be soldered to the ground strips on the top side of the contact board for more support and for good looks. :slight_smile:

Courui D01 Contact Board - OshPark

The driver is operational. I used Star momentary as my firmware. I have modified the modes somewhat. Looks like it will work great!

Today I was able to get the driver and the contact plate assembled and fitted. I also got that big and beautiful copper pill installed with an XM-L2 domed 1A installed and wired!

She puts out a crap load of light and is focused well! I am waiting an XM-L2 0D and Maxtoch DPT star to arrive, that one will get de-domed. I will get some beam shots together in better weather. BTW, turned the stock emitter on the stock star BLUE!

Still with dome on!

I got the de-domed XM-L2 0D installed this weekend! I decided I needed to get the reflector lower, changed the wires for copper strips! Works better.

New beamshots, last beamshot was done at a 10 sec. exposure, this one is done at 5 sec. to create a more realistic image and the second one was just fun!

I am not really sure how to tell if focus is right. I have a doughnut hole out to about 40 feet and the it is just plain bright!

I need to adjust the modes a little, will do that when I change out the LED. Not going to take it apart for awhile. I will also install the lighted tail board and switch at that time as well. I still have 2 contact boards left… Anyone interested in one?

I do not know how big a post can be!

That contact board looks sweet! Subbed

I like your plan and will be following in your footsteps soon. Don’t hesitate to take off those springs and redo the braids if you want; you wont screw up the board.

I Still need a dang copper heat sink for mine, wish someone had an extra one they'd sell.

subbed! got one in transit on the China slow boat (that is not even moving now) so this is a perfect thread to make me eager and run at the mailbox to see what is there that day. Could use the exercise!

I still have one copper heat sink,but its made for 26-27mm maxtoch mcpcb, and threads are not so great,but it will fit nice. Its siting in my drawer and already have nice patina,almost greenish :bigsmile:

Battery tail board work.
It is done, not real happy with the braiding but it will do. I do not want to take a chance of damage to the board, likely can’t replace it! Naw don’t worry about it, I make them out of copper sheet, using the old (-) mcpcb (spring) board , as a template. Comes out real cool Order Copper Sample Pack 110 Sheet Online

unknown0010 I head 2 heatsinks for the DO1 for sale the other day but not anymore. Might have to order a board for mine

Dang! I read your thread a few minutes after the first mystery box was claimed. I don't know how I missed the heatsinks.

That's the heatsinks I had

I took the first mystery box. I am low on mod parts and have missed a couple of good deals on a decent volume of modding stuff and got to this one on time, and I also took the heat sink. Not the one with an LED, I have no real use of the big LED.

I am not sure how I will connect and mount the LED in this beast. I hate to file on the side of the reflector and I do not have a good copper at 26 mm. I am planning to use that copper strip, bent, insulated and soldered to the star in place of wires since the copper is so thin.

Matt

You can use painters tape, and tape the top and bottom of the reflector up, and if you have a drill or air grinder with sanding pads sand/grind the base for clearance. Or you have a lot of hand filing and sanding? Might have to open up the diameter of your heat sink step.I have used these for xm-l2’s Maxtoch XM / XHP50 31.5mm Copper MCPCB and these for xpl’s http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63_64&product_id=401

you started a nice project.

It lives! Updated in OP!

great work ,kaidomain reflector ?:slight_smile:
i am interesting for the contact board is they are still available pm for price and shipping to europe if you can ship,thanks.

Looks very clean, Matt.

I’m tempted to order a few of your contact boards in my next OSH order.

We have a new guy at work, & he’s into camping, etc., & is chasing a thrower.

I’m going to lend him my D01, & I have a feeling I’ll be building a few more…. :slight_smile:

OP updated!

Looking good!

Wight, does that look like proper focus? I am not really sure how that hole it the beam should react when focus is correct. I am going to do the tail switch next and I need to rebuild Star momentary to remove the 0 output mode and reflash the driver. I am thinking about using that copper strip to attach to the star and extend thru the headsink with heatshrink tube to insulate it and then solder the wires in the driver compartment. Should allow the reflector to sit a little lower.